why did this happen??

tuckerthecat

Chieftain
I was playing a game as Carthage & had one of the most insane starts ever. I had 3 riverside grassland gems in my capital & 2 gold & 4 floodplains in my 2nd city. As a result I had a silly tech lead on all of my neighbors ( I had guilds before anyone else had longbows ). The problem was none of my cities had good production so I had to rely on the whip & Ghengis Khan while I got my military built up. ( I had enough forces for a decent defense but not enough to war yet ) I had Ghengis up to friendly, I had adopted his religion, caved to his numerous demands & even agreed to join him in 2 phony wars.

When I was finally ready to expand via the sword I again bribed Ghengis to join me ( it seemed he wasnt teching at all & I was providing all his research for him ) I started the war against Ramsese but GK made peace with him after just 10 turns & dropped down to pleased with me :confused: . GK was furious with Ramsese before the war began so I dont know why he would drop to pleased as nothing had changed in our relationship.

I took 4 egyption cities & made peace to consolidate my gains. 20 turns later or so I again bribe GK to join me against Ramsese ( GK back up to friendly now ) The same thing happened again, GK made peace right away & drops to pleased! :mad:

Well I took the rest of Ramses core cities & accepted his captitulation when he had 2 crappy tundra cities that I didnt feel like capturing. By this point I had a stack of 20 or so highly promoted knights & 10 or so CR3 maces that I moved to the other side of my empire ( was planning on crushing Pacal next ). Now GK's core cities were up near Pacal ( my entire stack was moving past his capital otw to Pacal ) but he had 2 cities south of Ramses that he had captured previously. Just as I was about to declare on Pacal GK declared on me! He sent what seemed like 40 of his horse archer UU into my lightly defended southern territory. When he made his DOW my attack stack was kicked out of his territory to a whole 4 squares away from his capital. His capital had 2 archers & 2 axes, & the rest of his core cities were even more lightly defended. I was so ticked off I went & razed all of his core cities instead of dealing with his southern army ( which were now pillaging all of my towns :mad: :mad: )

Ok that was a long winded post but why the hell did GK keep making peace with Ramses ( he usually is a great was ally ) & why did he keep falling to pleased??? Also why would the AI commit suicide by declaring war when I had such an overwelming stack near his core?

because the AI does not have survial instincts or never heard the proverb "Never bite the hand that feeds you"

he kept falling to pleased because "our mutual military struggle brings us closer together" drops by 1 when one of you 2 stop the war with the guy. Hence, if you were at 10, he'd drop at 9 and pleased

why would gk declare... because he declares at any relations? because the power graph thinks that 40 has > 20 knights? because the power graph thinks that the ai garnison units that are never moved actually matter?

It's hard to completely trust an AI. I had Julius Caesar declare war once on me when I was at friendly relations with him. If your army is weak and/or vulnerable, they'll go after you no matter what. :sad:

SnowlyWhite hit the nail.... BtS AI is still very poor recognizing real power ( not that doing that is a easy task... a lot of humans fail to do so ), that depends a lot of the dispositon of troops in terrain and tech power .

I was playing a game as Carthage & had one of the most insane starts ever. I had 3 riverside grassland gems in my capital & 2 gold & 4 floodplains in my 2nd city. As a result I had a silly tech lead on all of my neighbors ( I had guilds before anyone else had longbows ). The problem was none of my cities had good production so I had to rely on the whip & Ghengis Khan while I got my military built up. ( I had enough forces for a decent defense but not enough to war yet ) I had Ghengis up to friendly, I had adopted his religion, caved to his numerous demands & even agreed to join him in 2 phony wars.

When I was finally ready to expand via the sword I again bribed Ghengis to join me ( it seemed he wasnt teching at all & I was providing all his research for him ) I started the war against Ramsese but GK made peace with him after just 10 turns & dropped down to pleased with me :confused: . GK was furious with Ramsese before the war began so I dont know why he would drop to pleased as nothing had changed in our relationship.

I took 4 egyption cities & made peace to consolidate my gains. 20 turns later or so I again bribe GK to join me against Ramsese ( GK back up to friendly now ) The same thing happened again, GK made peace right away & drops to pleased! :mad:

Well I took the rest of Ramses core cities & accepted his captitulation when he had 2 crappy tundra cities that I didnt feel like capturing. By this point I had a stack of 20 or so highly promoted knights & 10 or so CR3 maces that I moved to the other side of my empire ( was planning on crushing Pacal next ). Now GK's core cities were up near Pacal ( my entire stack was moving past his capital otw to Pacal ) but he had 2 cities south of Ramses that he had captured previously. Just as I was about to declare on Pacal GK declared on me! He sent what seemed like 40 of his horse archer UU into my lightly defended southern territory. When he made his DOW my attack stack was kicked out of his territory to a whole 4 squares away from his capital. His capital had 2 archers & 2 axes, & the rest of his core cities were even more lightly defended. I was so ticked off I went & razed all of his core cities instead of dealing with his southern army ( which were now pillaging all of my towns :mad: :mad: )

Ok that was a long winded post but why the hell did GK keep making peace with Ramses ( he usually is a great was ally ) & why did he keep falling to pleased??? Also why would the AI commit suicide by declaring war when I had such an overwelming stack near his core?

Ahhh, the quirky personality of the AI. I hear you, wish they would implement more realistic personalities, and being smart about who they declare war against.

Ahhh, the quirky personality of the AI. I hear you, wish they would implement more realistic personalities, and being smart about who they declare war against.

I disagree. I think Ghangis Khan just happened to be that crazy.

Edit: This is pretty unique to AI like Khan, Monty and others. I try my hardest to avoid relying on them as partners for precisely this reason. I like that they can DOW seemingly random - it wouldn't be any fun if, with every AI, you could see your diplomatic status falling and feel war immenent. Back stabs have happened and will happen.

Him declaring on Rameses could have just been accepting a request from you because you have a positive diplomatic status with him, and making peace as soon as he could (not unlike a humans strategy when they want to preserve diplomacy yet not fight). Try getting a friendly religious leader to accept your religion. They might, and then 10 turns later you can guarentee they will switch right back to where they were before.

don't get me wrong; 40 keshiks >>>>> 20 knights, so the graph is right. Problem is that 40 computer controlled keshiks <<<<<< 20 human controlled knights.

Top Bottom