Why does each iteration of Civ get more & more cartoony?

That is the one problem I have with the new graphics, the one graphical feature from civ5 that I wish gets back is the terrain variation for diferent continents. Tho that's the kind of stuff that could easily be bundled in a DLC along with a scenario and civ (or modded).
Yes! I was so pleased when they revealed they had different art for different civilisation's units (no more white Africans!). It's a shame that the buildings and the terrain don't also have cultural and geographical variations (at least outside of the city centre art and Palaces). I liked the subtly different continents in Civ V.

Yes! I was so pleased when they revealed they had different art for different civilisation's units (no more white Africans!). It's a shame that the buildings and the terrain don't also have cultural and geographical variations (at least outside of the city centre art and Palaces). I liked the subtly different continents in Civ V.

Was that all in the original release though? I don't remember for certain, and aren't going to look it up now; but I thought that some of that sort of thing was added with patches and expansions.

Was that all in the original release though? I don't remember for certain, and aren't going to look it up now; but I thought that some of that sort of thing was added with patches and expansions.

It was, however I do remember them improving them later on.

In my memory my favorite in the optic is Civ4.

It is hard to find words why. It could be the scale and number of units and the details on the map. The feeling while moving on the map was the best not only because of the animals, the clear and atmospheric structure.

Civ5 was more minimalist and the map view was a bit boring. Maybe that was connected to the level of zoom. The LH were mostly not aptly.

When I now saw the first videos of Civ6 i think the optic was good for me better than the first impression of Civ5.

Maybe Civ6 is more like Civ2. This part 2 was very iconic and a lot ironic. This is a good clue in a game were you make war and use A-bombs without another goal than win the game. If I play a Civ game to change virtually the history and conquer the world its ironic at all. Originally cartoons are ironic.

My chessboard on the shelf is not realistic and my chessmen are very cartoony and so ironic too. That says to me, do not take it so serious and important. Take it easy:dance:

I think the current style is doing the game a favor. When I look at Civ IV screenshots, I see a style that tries to reach for realism in the same way that other games like AoE did, which is using more toned down colors and generic proportions. To a certain extent, the pixelated image kind of makes it appealing, but otherwise, it lacks charm.

Basically, the overworld style in VI has a certain quality that Civ IV or V didn't have. The trees are regrettable, but I can see it improved if they make forests less sparse. It will certainly look better than the green blob of rubble in CiV. And yes, CiV forests and jungles didn't appeal to me, even if they do have subtle differences between continents.

Also, people who praise CiV like its style is the apex of realism probably can't explain why when my units walk into forests, they look like they are wading in a sea of bush. I don't see why CiV should be excused for making the units giants against the Lego-block cities and the mossy forests, if realism matters that much in a game like Civilization. At least Civ VI tells us from the get go with its distinctive look that gameplay purposes trump realism any day in a strategy game.

Actually, I was overjoyed to see the graphics. I don't give a frack for 'realism' in a strategy game (regarding the optics, I mean), what is important is clarity. I am going to spend many, many enjoyable hours gazing at cVI screens (as with all Civ iterations there have been), and I prefer not to strain my eyes more than necessary.... :)

I agree with the players who want a more realistic look and feel. The more they can make the game look like the world around me or some documentary I watch on TV the better. However, I do know that it won't matter after I play thousands of hours of the game. I got used to Civ Rev on the PS3 and my Iphone and I will get used to this horrible cartoon version of the game as well! I do think that Civ V was the best version for aesthetics though and this game looks like a step down.

Edit: Oh, ok, after a little reading I find that the reason for the artwork is so that it will work with mobile devices. I get it now :(

Last edited:
Who cares? It's a game where you play as an immortal person leading a civilization in a turn based timeline where 4 guys take up kilometers of space on a hex based flat world.

Yes Truthful Cake I think you're right -- Civ IV's art style was heavily influenced by popular RTS games of its era. In a similar vein, Civ 6's art direction -- which is unique to the series -- is influenced by MMOs and MOBAs like DOTA as well as popular mobile games.

While trendy, the style of Civ 6 isn't really in keeping with popular 4x or strategy titles of the day, like Endless Legend, Civ V, or the Paradox or Total War titles. It's an interesting decision to break with stylistic norms of the genre. The cartoonish influence may also be what the artists who worked on XCom are good at doing.

That said, I don't find the cartoony style any less prone to clutter and confusion. If you watched the end-game "battle royale" stream last night, it was a messy jumble of cartoony units and buildings. Definitely hard on the eyes.

Last edited:
OP: Why does each iteration of Civ get more & more cartoony?

Answer: Because its fans are getting older and older, and would like to introduce the game for their kids?

Who cares? It's a game where you play as an immortal person leading a civilization in a turn based timeline where 4 guys take up kilometers of space on a hex based flat world.

I have to concede to this point. IMHO this is one of the best statements I have read on this forum that I can not refute.

Last edited:
Cartoony artstyle is nothing compared to the totally ******ed AI.

Edit: Oh, ok, after a little reading I find that the reason for the artwork is so that it will work with mobile devices. I get it now :(
There is absolutely no evidence that Civ6 will ever be compatible with mobile devices...

While trendy, the style of Civ 6 isn't really in keeping with popular 4x or strategy titles of the day, like Endless Legend, Civ V, or the Paradox or Total War titles.
Paradox titles aren't 4X, and including the Total War titles is debatable. Endless Legend/Endless Space are both very stylized, especially Endless Legend. I would suggest that it's Civ5 that's the odd one out.

It's these exact kinds of threads that made me change my profile icon to Alexander the Great from the snes civ1.

80s hair band Alexander is the best; He really captures Civilization's serious tone and establishes the franchise's realistic roots.

^^^ Jason you are spot on.. hehe. You see these threads and realize these folks never played or forgot previous incarnations of Civ!

Cartoony artstyle is nothing compared to the totally ******ed AI.

I would have to say the Ai has incrementally improved over every version of the game Darko. I also think we are getting an engine that has tremendous potential since it is now 64 bit. We can have far more scripts written, larger maps and far more units on the map then ever.

Cheers!

Paradox titles aren't 4X, and including the Total War titles is debatable. Endless Legend/Endless Space are both very stylized, especially Endless Legend. I would suggest that it's Civ5 that's the odd one out.

Not to get too pedantic, but Stellaris is a 4x with GSG favor. However, space 4x games and Earthbound 4x games have different expectations.

Edit: Oh, ok, after a little reading I find that the reason for the artwork is so that it will work with mobile devices. I get it now

It couldn't possibly be because CivV's graphics style put far too much emphasis on form over function.

Not to get too pedantic, but Stellaris is a 4x with GSG favor. However, space 4x games and Earthbound 4x games have different expectations.
I haven't played Stellaris; I gave CK2 a shot, but it wasn't my taste at all. If Stellaris is 4X, that's not exactly a mark in its favor; I've never seen a well-done real-time 4X game. But since we're discussing Civ, my comment was more aimed at Crusader Kings II and Europa Universalis.

All of the Paradox games are pausable RTS with each tick being a "turn" in the calculations. Stellaris, likewise, is a pausable 4x game with each day being a "turn" in the calculations the game just so happens to politely autofinish for you.

With that said, I do agree about Civilization V being the odd man out.

I would have to say the Ai has incrementally improved over every version of the game Darko. I also think we are getting an engine that has tremendous potential since it is now 64 bit. We can have far more scripts written, larger maps and far more units on the map then ever.

Cheers!

Do not engage the badai badai parrot. It has even started to show up in totally unrelated topics already.

Top Bottom