Why don't more people play multiplayer?

I play multiplayer mainly because the AI is not smart enough, while there can be some interesting moments in multiplayer games.

Just wondering why more people don't play multiplayer?

I've played Civ since version 2.0 and was so happy when multiplayer finally came out (sort of in Civ5) and was extremely disappointed with it in Civ6. The best solution I could find was creating my own game (with multiplayer coming soon) and publishing it on the App Store but I can't give the name here.

Because 99.9999% of the people in MP JUST play it as a war game, and ignore the other aspects completely.

Which is odd considering it's a strategy game, and not JUST a war game... you would think they would play actual war games if that is what they really want.

meh

Because 99.9999% of the people in MP JUST play it as a war game, and ignore the other aspects completely.

Which is odd considering it's a strategy game, and not JUST a war game... you would think they would play actual war games if that is what they really want.

meh

You do realize that as a strategy game, you have good and bad strategies, depending on the rules.

With the rules as they are, domination is META = Most Efficient Tactic Available.

Considering multiplayer is a Zero sum game (competitive environment with only one winner), they choose the meta-way.

Why? Because in general people want to win. If I want to fudge around, I'll go to single-player.

I really don't see why you're so upset about this.

You do realize that as a strategy game, you have good and bad strategies, depending on the rules.

With the rules as they are, domination is META = Most Efficient Tactic Available.

Considering multiplayer is a Zero sum game (competitive environment with only one winner), they choose the meta-way.

Why? Because in general people want to win. If I want to **** around, I'll go to single-player.

I really don't see why you're so upset about this.

You seem to have a comprehension problem. I am not upset about it all... just stating my observations of over 4000 hours of Civ6, almost all in MP.

Does multi-player still use a timer rather being turn based?

MP has always been simultaneous turns...I've been playing since Civ2MGE on the MS Gaming Zone...and despite the down side of Simu turns, it is still by far the least of the evils in terms of the options

CS

and despite the down side of Simu turns, it is still by far the least of the evils in terms of the options
I'm sure you're right - just seems a strange way to play a turn based game, I'm sure that puts many people off.

Just wondering why more people don't play multiplayer?

There are people who like to play multiplayer, I'm one of them. Single player isn't fun after you learn the aspects of the game. I prefer PBEM (play by e-mail) so I can play without having to worry about turn timers. You can play PBEM using the PYDT (play your damn turn) client located at at the following site.

https://www.playyourdamnturn.com/

And if you find PBEM a little "boring" because it may take too long between turns, you can join multiple games at once. I'm currently involved in 12 games so I almost always have turns waiting for me when I get home from work. And while multiplayer is mainly a wargame, I have won many Civ VI games by religion, science, and cultural. Been playing PBEM since Civ III PTW - over 15 years now. Played PBEM in Civ III, Civ IV, Civ V, and Civ VI.

Thanks for explaining the main reasons! I really like the way how you interpret the things!

I wouldn't mind more war, because the AI completely fails to deliver on that aspect right now (I bet not a single AI has ever won a domination victory on a map with 4 or more players). But what kills mp for me, I've tried a few games now, is the blatant bug abuse and the whole "gaming loopholes" mechanics that decide games, not

for a start, in the first 10 turns someone always leaves, and then the player who is closest basically gets a free city.

another thing is, there is always one guy who will level his archers on city states to rank 4, and then abuse the hell out of the broken rank 4 skill (move, then still double attack). I wouldn't mind losing a legit UU rush, but I do mind getting my army destroyed by 2-3 cheat units, no matter how much I build to counter.

Multiplayer is addicting. It's so satisfying to know you are playing sentient intelligence, as opposed to a yield steroided ai.

At any given time there is a small chance of catching a Free For All MP game of randos. One guy will quit right away because he has a bad start. Another will quit as soon as he realizes he started next to Mongolia. One more will quit after having a settler stolen. Then several humans will play for a while, warring each other into stagnation, while one guy you haven't met yet dominates the score. Most people quit as they are losing a war or are about to be conquered. Then, when about 3 people remain everyone will agree that the score leader has one and quit.

Some hero hosts don't ban. Many do. They usually ban scythia, sumeria, and korea. Sometimes they ban defender or faith and god of forge pantheons.

Also, call me crazy, but I think people complaining about domination in MP are missing out on an appreciation for where civilization really came from, and where it will always return to: War. Ancient Era is supposed to be war filled, that's why you get no war monger penalties. Human players, just like throughout history, will develop diplomatically civil relationships only AFTER they stalemate each other in war, or have bigger fish to fry.

Has anyone ever finished an online game,doubtfull.i play an ultra fast game with 175 turns max and that can still take 4 hours to play,the game is way to long for multiplayer.who has 6 hours to finish a game.not me.

Has anyone ever finished an online game,doubtfull.i play an ultra fast game with 175 turns max and that can still take 4 hours to play,the game is way to long for multiplayer.who has 6 hours to finish a game.not me.

Yes, I have finished several online games. But those were with my brother and a friend. Never with random people.

I have finished around 100 online games... I keep saves. That being said, the vast majority of those were in the early days of Civ6. Since R&F, MP has turned into a real toilet... I'm not saying that R&F was the cause, I think it's just that the toxicity level reached it's peak around then. Most of the recent games, have just been everyone conceding to me (not through domination, btw).

I think it is a time scheduling issue. Also a lot of people will leave in the first 50 turns for various reasons. However, playing the Ancient Rivals scenario isolates the game to its most defining era and gives a definite winner by score at the end that doesn't have to be voted on.

Did the spring patch improve the issue some players have with resyncing in multiplaying? Me and a friend still cant get Multiplay to work without constant resyncing. We did not have this issue before the expansion.

Also, does having different DLC in multiplayer effect the game stability?

Did the spring patch improve the issue some players have with resyncing in multiplaying? Me and a friend still cant get Multiplay to work without constant resyncing. We did not have this issue before the expansion.

Also, does having different DLC in multiplayer effect the game stability?

It still happens, especially once you get around turn 100. Can't speak to the DLC, seems to be fine to me though.

It still happens, especially once you get around turn 100. Can't speak to the DLC, seems to be fine to me though.

Thanks! We get the resync every turn from start. I am going nuts trying to find what the heck is causing it! =).
I cant find anything in our setup thats different from before the expansion.

Top Bottom