1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Why don't more people play multiplayer?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Multiplayer' started by King Lewie XIV, Oct 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. frutiemax

frutiemax Chieftain

I play multiplayer mainly because the AI is not smart enough, while there can be some interesting moments in multiplayer games.

2. mpcagaming

mpcagaming Chieftain

I've played Civ since version 2.0 and was so happy when multiplayer finally came out (sort of in Civ5) and was extremely disappointed with it in Civ6. The best solution I could find was creating my own game (with multiplayer coming soon) and publishing it on the App Store but I can't give the name here.

3. AmtrakQuebec

AmtrakQuebec Chieftain

You know that place by the other place...
    Because 99.9999% of the people in MP JUST play it as a war game, and ignore the other aspects completely.

Which is odd considering it's a strategy game, and not JUST a war game... you would think they would play actual war games if that is what they really want.

meh

4. Ape with thumbs

Ape with thumbs Chieftain

You do realize that as a strategy game, you have good and bad strategies, depending on the rules.

With the rules as they are, domination is META = Most Efficient Tactic Available.

Considering multiplayer is a Zero sum game (competitive environment with only one winner), they choose the meta-way.

Why? Because in general people want to win. If I want to **** around, I'll go to single-player.

I really don't see why you're so upset about this.

5. AmtrakQuebec

AmtrakQuebec Chieftain

You know that place by the other place...
    You seem to have a comprehension problem. I am not upset about it all... just stating my observations of over 4000 hours of Civ6, almost all in MP.

6. Ape with thumbs

Ape with thumbs Chieftain

I read your other thread, you're upset :)

x2Madda likes this.
  7. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter

Does multi-player still use a timer rather being turn based?

8. CanuckSoldier

CanuckSoldier Chieftain

MP has always been simultaneous turns...I've been playing since Civ2MGE on the MS Gaming Zone...and despite the down side of Simu turns, it is still by far the least of the evils in terms of the options

CS

9. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter

I'm sure you're right - just seems a strange way to play a turn based game, I'm sure that puts many people off.

10. DogBoy

DogBoy Chieftain

There are people who like to play multiplayer, I'm one of them. Single player isn't fun after you learn the aspects of the game. I prefer PBEM (play by e-mail) so I can play without having to worry about turn timers. You can play PBEM using the PYDT (play your damn turn) client located at at the following site.

https://www.playyourdamnturn.com/

And if you find PBEM a little "boring" because it may take too long between turns, you can join multiple games at once. I'm currently involved in 12 games so I almost always have turns waiting for me when I get home from work. And while multiplayer is mainly a wargame, I have won many Civ VI games by religion, science, and cultural. Been playing PBEM since Civ III PTW - over 15 years now. Played PBEM in Civ III, Civ IV, Civ V, and Civ VI.

Noble Zarkon likes this.
  11. BillyHagen

BillyHagen Chieftain

Thanks for explaining the main reasons! I really like the way how you interpret the things!

12. Quineloe

Quineloe Chieftain

I wouldn't mind more war, because the AI completely fails to deliver on that aspect right now (I bet not a single AI has ever won a domination victory on a map with 4 or more players). But what kills mp for me, I've tried a few games now, is the blatant bug abuse and the whole "gaming loopholes" mechanics that decide games, not

for a start, in the first 10 turns someone always leaves, and then the player who is closest basically gets a free city.

another thing is, there is always one guy who will level his archers on city states to rank 4, and then abuse the hell out of the broken rank 4 skill (move, then still double attack). I wouldn't mind losing a legit UU rush, but I do mind getting my army destroyed by 2-3 cheat units, no matter how much I build to counter.