Why have the Mughals never been in the game?

I was pleased to see that the Mughals will finally be represented as a civilisation in VII.

However, it does beg the following question: why have we never seen them represented in the franchise before? They are absent not just from the mainline of the franchise, but also its spin-offs: Call to Power (I + II) and Civilization Revolution (I + II).

The Mughals are by far and away the most famous and iconic civilisation within the Indian Subcontinent. They had a meteoric rise and fall, with incredible accomplishments in the domains of culture, warfare, architecture, and religion.

Akbar is one of the few leaders who was known as ‘the Great’ and often appears on lists of the greatest rulers in world history. Despite an incredibly successful 49 year reign, he only gets a spot as one of India’s Military Leaders in III, and is relegated to Great General status in IV and V.

Shah Jahan also had a lengthy and prosperous reign, during which he commissioned several works of architecture that are represented in the franchise. His Taj Mahal is one of the most famous and iconic world wonders in history, and is often used as an emblem of India. It even appears as Ghandi’s background image in IV, as well as a golden age-triggering wonder in 3 consecutive iterations of the game (IV, VI, VI). His Red Fort is also included as a wonder in V. Shah Jahan’s constructions even inspired India’s Unique Buildings: the ‘Mausoleum’ (IV) and the ‘Mughal Fort’ (V). Despite all this, his appearances in the franchise were limited to either Great Merchant (IV, V) or Great Engineer (VI).

During Aurangzeb’s 49 year reign, Mughal India was arguably the richest, most populous and most powerful polity in the world. He has never been referenced in the series.

The Mughals became such an icon of legitimacy within the subcontinent that even after it had crumbled into a rump state, those who had revolted and declared independence from them still paid nominal homage and portrayed themselves as ruling in their name.

When Hindu and Muslim troops rebelled against the British East India Company, they rallied behind the Mughals. Despite the Mutiny being crushed, the Mughal Emperor, even in his elderly and powerless state, was seen as such a symbolic threat to the British that he and his family were forced into exile and never allowed to return to Delhi - royal families in the subcontinent was usually allowed to retain nominal self-rule.

For Civilization VI, the developers were vocal about their commitment to the inclusion of ‘big personalities’ as well as increased diversity of representation, and the game also allowed civilizations to possess alternate leaders. Under this framework, figures such as Babur, Akbar, Shah Jahan, or Aurangzeb would have been especially fitting.

After the release of the base game, VI received multiple DLCs, followed by two large expansion packs, after which came the New Frontier Pass, which itself was followed by a Leader Pass. By the end of VI’s development, Ancient Greece had 2 civilizations and 3 leaders. England had 4 leaders, and China had 5. Canada, Australia and Scotland had all been introduced into the series for the first time. And yet, the only non-Gandhi alternative for India was Chandragupta.

Gandhi has lead India in every iteration of the franchise despite never historically leading the nation. Wherever a female counterpart was required, the deeply flawed Indira Gandhi was chosen. India always has a strong (but passive) religious and/or happiness bent, alongside a war elephant as a unique unit. The inclusion of Chandragupta in VI was the sole exception to this portrayal; his grandson Ashoka (IV, VII) is always just characterised in the same vein as Gandhi.

The Indian Subcontinent exceeds even China both in terms of population and length of history, and far surpasses it in terms of cultural, religious, and ethnic diversity. India alone is home to more people than the entirety of Europe, the United States, Canada, and Australia combined. A significant and growing proportion of the subcontinent speaks English due to the legacy of colonialism. Why is it that even in VI, the developers did not attempt to capitalise on this market?

The very idea of a unified Indian civilization makes little sense – it is akin to having a ‘European’ civilization or a ‘Sub-Saharan African’ civilization. Even still, India is one of the few civilizations in the franchise for which arising in 4000BC (as the Indus Valley Civilization) and continuing into the near future (as the modern nation state of India) is not completely absurd. As a staple of the franchise, surely India deserves better treatment than it has received thus far? With VI, Firaxis emphasised their desire to maximise representation from every region; accounting for population, the Indian subcontinent has been the most neglected area of the world. With representation like this, you'd think India was some obscure, poorly documented archeological culture.

Forgive my speculation, but in my opinion, Firaxis has never included the Mughals as leaders or a civilization because their economic, cultural, architectural, military, and religious characteristics did not neatly fit into the mould of the ‘Indian Civilization’ that they had perceived in their minds and constructed in their game. Indian civilization has been consistently portrayed in the franchise as an extension of Gandhi himself: fundamentally passive, religious, ‘Hindu’, and symbolised by a lotus flower or spoked wheel.

With all this said, I am glad to see that the Age structure of VII has finally allowed for the division of the nonsensical ‘Indian’ civilization into the Mauryans, Cholas and Mughals in VII, and I hope to see more in the future. For the time being, I will not dwell on this bizarre nature of transitioning from the Cholas to the Mughals - I just hope that medieval persianate and turkic cultures have the option to transition into the Mughals. However, I still have reservations – will the Chola or the Mughals ever get their own leaders (e.g. Rajendra Chola, Shah Jahan), or will we be stuck playing through these civilizations as Ashoka? Leaders take far more development time and resources than civilizations do – will Firaxis consider Indian leaders important enough to merit inclusion within VII, or can we instead expect to see more leaderless Indian civilizations lead by Ashoka?

I think you're making a good point why we need the civ switching/changing mechanism: To allow the representation of more diversity.
The old civ games always had "India" as a civ. Most people here will know that there are plenty of cultures within India, which were important at some point in history. Separating them from "India" would not be warranted though, and picking only one of the many cultures would be inappropriate too.
Now that we have the option to have the same area represented my more diverse options, it is rather simple to add the Mughals.

However, it does beg the following question: why have we never seen them represented in the franchise before? They are absent not just from the mainline of the franchise, but also its spin-offs: Call to Power (I + II) and Civilization Revolution (I + II).
Because it's a western company which for most of its existence was oriented to a western market.

The company has expanded, the world has become more interconnected, Asian purchasing power has increased, the developers have become more demanding and so have Civ players. It's happening now, although it could have happened in Civ VI.

Because it's a western company which for most of its existence was oriented to a western market.

The company has expanded, the world has become more interconnected, Asian purchasing power has increased, the developers have become more demanding and so have Civ players. It's happening now, although it could have happened in Civ VI.
What you say is true. However, I suppose one of the questions I'm asking is why Firaxis have always had Gandhi as India's default leader when there were always much more suitable alternatives.

In the context of limited development time and resources, I of course understand the rationale for defaulting to a single iconic leader such as Qin Shi Huang for China, or Augustus Caesar for Rome. But the decision to have Gandhi of all people as India's default leader for every civ game, both mainline and spin-off, seems bizarre to me.

You've pointed out that Firaxis has always been oriented to a western market. This is undoubtedly true. However, whenever non-Gandhi alternatives have been added to the game, they have always been either the Mauryans or Indira Gandhi. These choices do not strike me as attempts to appeal to a western market. The Mughal leaders are all far more famous in the West than either Chandragupta, Ashoka, or Indira Ghandhi. As I said in my previous post, this seems to be a deliberate design choice by the developers, who do not feel that the Mughals fit into the mould of the Indian identity that they have constructed in the game.

I share your sentiment yet I don't see a conspiracy behind it. The Mughals have sort of been relegated to an in-between status, even in academia. Islamic and Middle Eastern studies concentrates on Arabic and Iranian culture and history, Indology and South Asian studies is much more concerned with the Hindu past and modern postcolonial India. The Mughals as Muslim rulers in India also are perceived as an anomaly by modern Hindu nationalists that want to erase every inch of Muslim culture and history in India.
Having said that I also hope for more representation of South Asian culture: Bengal culture, Harappan culture, the Himalayam kingdoms, Sri Lankese culture - there's much diversity and richness which have not adequately been shown.

What you say is true. However, I suppose one of the questions I'm asking is why Firaxis have always had Gandhi as India's default leader when there were always much more suitable alternatives.
The original game had Gandhi probably because that's who the developers knew at the time. The early games do not come across to me as very research heavy.

Then you also have to consider that leaders gained historic relevancy within the history of Civ itself. They became characters with specific personalities within the context of Civ. Montezuma is the most evident case to me. It has varied between being Montezuma I and Montezuma II, but in practice, the Montezuma of Civ 4 is the same character as in 5 and 6.

Gandhi has had a similar fate. It became a character within Civ, and eventually even a bit of a meme. The nuclear bug became "canon" and a part of his lines and personality.

The joke may have finally run out. I don't think we'll see Gandhi at release, but I do expect him to reappear as DLC somewhere down the line of CIV VII development, because he is part of Civ history.

why Firaxis have always had Gandhi as India's default leader when there were always much more suitable alternatives
My theory is that Gandhi became the most "emblematic" Civ leader, largely because of the contrast between his peaceful image outside of Civ, and his occasional warmonger tendencies in Civ. No other leader in Civ was so well known as being an advocate of peace, so in no other leader was the contrast greater when they were a warmonger in-game. The continuation of having Gandhi as a leader thus became a matter of fulfilling fan expectations (real or perceived) from previous iterations of the game.

Aside from that... while there have been exceptions (HRE/Germany in IV, Byzantium, (arguably) Macedon in VI, America), in general Firaxis hasn't included multiple civs that share the same core geographic region. China has also been represented as one civ, and if we move a bit farther west, it's reasonable to ask why the Timurids haven't made an appearance, and I'd argue that the main reason is because Persia already represents that area in prior iterations of Civ. This is changing in VII (although whether the Timurids will also be present is TBD).

Lastly, I think one of the main reasons is a general lack of knowledge of Indian history in the West. Perhaps there's somewhat higher knowledge in Britain, given the colonial past, but at least in the U.S. where Firaxis is based, the knowledge of the cultural, religious, and ethnic diversity you mention is very low. More people are likely to be familiar with Japanese of Chinese history. I can only speculate on the reasons, but there has been a longer period of direct and sustained contact with both China and Japan. That could change over time, as the Indian-American population is now nearly equal to the Chinese-American population and roughly triple the size of the Japanese-American population, but for the time being there's still much greater (if still low) familiarity with the cultures and history of East Asia than the Subcontinent.

I also wonder how much of it is marketing or lack thereof... one of my long-term-best-friends is Bengali, giving me a theoretical advantage in learning Indian history, but while I have learned some about modern Indian cultural practices, said friend prefers to downplay the regional differences and identify as Indian, feeling that the divisions have done more harm than good in recent times. Maybe this is more common with expats? I've worked with quite a few Indians and Pakistanis at several of my jobs, and can't recall any of them talking about the region they were from (to non-Indian Americans), beyond India, Pakistan, or perhaps Bangladesh, unless asked. Thus if you weren't inquisitive enough to ask and learn your colleague is (in one example) Telugu, you might never learn about the regional differences.

Last edited:
I think you're making a good point why we need the civ switching/changing mechanism: To allow the representation of more diversity.
The old civ games always had "India" as a civ. Most people here will know that there are plenty of cultures within India, which were important at some point in history. Separating them from "India" would not be warranted though, and picking only one of the many cultures would be inappropriate too.
Now that we have the option to have the same area represented my more diverse options, it is rather simple to add the Mughals.
this is one plus of the new system i didn’t consider until my number one civ request of all time was included.

it’s especially nice because the popular understanding of india is so north-indian dominant and as @Ibn Rashid al-Kanyali mentioned, hindu dominant. so seeing the chola represent south india and the mughals represent muslims is very cool.

However, it does beg the following question: why have we never seen them represented in the franchise before? They are absent not just from the mainline of the franchise, but also its spin-offs

"It consolidated Islam in South Asia, and spread Muslim arts and culture as well as the faith."

My theory is that Gandhi became the most "emblematic" Civ leader,
This reminds of me a developer interview.

Shirk: There will always be a section of fan favorites in every game, leaders that were so popular in the past and are critical to our fans. If they don't get to play as X, they're going to be upset, like Sid said. During Civ 5 actually, because we ended up shipping Civ 5 without Genghis Khan, Sid said, "What?" We ended up releasing Genghis Khan the next month in a free update because he was right. We shouldn't have shipped without Genghis Khan, so there's always going to be that collection, that foundation.

However, it does beg the following question: why have we never seen them represented in the franchise before? They are absent not just from the mainline of the franchise, but also its spin-offs

"It consolidated Islam in South Asia, and spread Muslim arts and culture as well as the faith."
india in past games has generally been focused on sanskrit/hindi speaking hindu “india”—hence the mauryans and gandhi being the only past leaders. Someone like Akbar has been long needed as a leader in civ, he fits the big personality bill. In civ 6 he could’ve made use of the opportunity for unique governors too.

as @AntSou noted, past games have generally lacked the research into indian history and culture. Only when civ 6 dropped Meenakshi temple did we even see a non-north/IVC wonder.

also as @Quintillus noted, indian culture is often made monolithic. people don’t realize india is nearly as diverse as Europe as a whole.

I'm actually a little surprised Mughals never made it into Civ 6. IMO their origins in Central Asia make them distinct enough to be a separate civ alongside India, even with civs spanning the duration of human history. Especially given that the region from modern-day Pakistan to Kazakstan is otherwise unrepresented in the game. You already have overlapping civs like Gaul/France and Greece/Macedon, so there's no good reason to exclude the Mughals.

For all these reasons, I consider them the biggest exclusion from Civ 6, and I'm glad to finally see them getting represented in game. (and hey, maybe one day we'll see modern India in Civ 7!)

I'm actually a little surprised Mughals never made it into Civ 6. IMO their origins in Central Asia make them distinct enough to be a separate civ alongside India, even with civs spanning the duration of human history. Especially given that the region from modern-day Pakistan to Kazakstan is otherwise unrepresented in the game. You already have overlapping civs like Gaul/France and Greece/Macedon, so there's no good reason to exclude the Mughals.

For all these reasons, I consider them the biggest exclusion from Civ 6, and I'm glad to finally see them getting represented in game. (and hey, maybe one day we'll see modern India in Civ 7!)
this is how I felt about the Chola for a very long time. Culturally distinct, unique history until british colonialism, and 0 representation for dravidian cultures outside of them. Less well-known, but there’s truly nothing like them. even what i predict to be their niche is unique—militaristic, but not to conquer, but rather turn other states into vassals (city state/independent people interactions?), commercial, extremely so (key in the spice trade), and prolific temple builders (religious)

as @AntSou noted, past games have generally lacked the research into indian history and culture. Only when civ 6 dropped Meenakshi temple did we even see a non-north/IVC wonder.
I don't buy the lack of research. Aren't Mughals the first thing most people think about when thinking about Indian history? India's two most famous and popular tourist destinations, Taj Mahal and the Red Fort, are Mughal buildings.

I don't buy the lack of research. Aren't Mughals the first thing most people think about when thinking about Indian history? India's two most famous and popular tourist destinations, Taj Mahal and the Red Fort, are Mughal buildings.
at least when i’m thinking about middle and high school world history in the us, we talk about the maurya, gupta, ashoka, the pillars, but the mughals are a footnote. basically “they built the taj mahal and got defeated by the brits”. maybe a reference to akbar if we’re lucky

and ofc at the forefront of western education about india is gandhi, hence why early civ games, which range from leaders who have nothing to do with a civ to persia being led by the fictional princess in 1001 nights, featured gandhi without really going any further.

My suspicion is that most people in the West without a connection to India and who aren't at least history minors are unaware of the Mughals (statistics may be different at CivFanatics). Sure, the Taj Mahal is widely recognized, but the layperson will know that it is in India, not who built it.

My guess would also be that the western layperson's first thoughts about Indian history would deal with either the British Raj or Indian independence at the time of Gandhi, and not go much beyond that. Maybe if they're older they might think of East Pakistan becoming Bangladesh, the George Harrison song "Bangla Desh" in 1971 was well-known. But the audience who plays historical video games tends to know a lot more about history than the average person, or likely even than the average Microprose developer in circa 1990.

at least when i’m thinking about middle and high school world history in the us, we talk about the maurya, gupta, ashoka, the pillars, but the mughals are a footnote. basically “they built the taj mahal and got defeated by the brits”. maybe a reference to akbar if we’re lucky
Uptil now I used to think the Mughals got top billing in Indian history school lesson, but turns out I was wrong

Top Bottom