Why is there more media about Caesar than about Alexander?

"He may be a son of a *****, but he is our son of a *****."

One's people will always contain sons of *****es. So you must offer sons of *****es ways to transcend. They must have examples of the forgiven. If you ever want them to. Transcend, that is. Which is kinda debatable sometimes in greater society, I think.

Caesar got a salad named after him. Have any popular restaurant dishes been named after Alexander?

I think Alexander has more cities named after him, mostly ones the egotistical megalomaniac founded and named himself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_founded_by_Alexander_the_Great
I just realized how many people in my ongoing long story I'm writing have names that are based on Julius and Alexander.

The main character will marry a woman named Julia. There are multiple characters in the royal family and one of the aristocratic families of the kingdom of Ravensmoor who have names that are either "Alexander" or masculine and feminine variants of that name.

I guess it just fits, and I have no plans to change these names.

One has to assume that Alexander had a much greater legacy, though. Despite some terms staying around (eg caesar becomes kaiser,czar etc), Caesar was a general who got declared imperator and run a coup. Alexander was pretty much a god-like figure by the time he died, and countless artifacts (including a lot of literature) got created about him to make him be the measure of comparison for all future military leaders (vanquished Hannibal's reply, when he was asked who the greatest general was, is imo emblematic of the sentiment). Caesar was killed by a few senators. Alexander died in a far easier to romanticize way, and had "conquered the world" while still a young man.

Isn't it said in the sources Caesar stood by Alexanders statue somewhere in Spain and wept for having achieved so little at the same age Alexander conquered the world - I'll see if I can find the quote later...

Edit, Apparently it is mentioned by both Suetonius and Plutarch

[...] seeing a statue of Alexander the Great in the temple of Hercules, he sighed deeply, as if weary of his sluggish life, for having performed no memorable actions at an age at which Alexander had already conquered the world.

Last edited:
Caesar almost certainly admired him. When he sae the statue of Alexander in Gades (now Cadiz) he supposedly wept because Caesar was then the same age as Alexander was at his death and Caesar felt he had not achieved a single noteworthy thing.

Seems a popular quote.

But seriously. What an ass. I think that sums it up.

"If only I'd have raped harder. I could have been a contender."
Moderator Action: Note: This is meant as a paraphrased quote, to show the bad qualities of both.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caesar got a salad named after him. Have any popular restaurant dishes been named after Alexander?

Think the salad is named after the hotel, the hotel of course is named after the general :)

Did find this :

Iskender Kebab, the favorite dish of Alexander The Great!!!! | ALL THAT FOOD

But there is a mistake. Iskender Kebab is not the favorite dish of Alexander the Great. Because its invention is very new. This taste is invented buy Iskender Efendi who lived in Bursa in 19 th century.

It's interesting to note that Alexander did have courtiers tasked with writing down his exploits. Yet it was Caesar's books that were to be passed down through the centuries, and still read over 2000 years later. Why? Hard to say, but I wouldn't be surprised if part of the answer was that Caesar had more literary talent than Alexander's courtiers. I've come close to buying a copy of Caesar's Conquest of Gaul a few times myself, yet I don't even know the names of the contemporary books from Alexander's conquests.

I've also heard that while the Macedonian soap opera would indeed make for a fantastic basis for a TV show, it can be very convoluted and difficult to wrap one's head around, which may have deterred some who would otherwise have made dramas based on it. Still, from what I have heard about it, I'd certainly be interested in hearing more. Alexander's mother Olympia personally leading armies against some of his former generals after his death (and effectively, for a while; no one wanted to be seen as the one fighting Alexander's mother); Alexander's body being stolen due to possessing it being seen as giving legitimacy to one's claim to power. And more betrayal than you can shake a stick at.

Really, whoever wrote seasons 1-6 of Game of Thrones should probably make that their next project. Just make sure they don't include anyone involved with writing the second half of season 8 (and yes I realize that most people probably were involved in both).

--------------------------

I think it depends how one looks at it as to who had the greater legacy. Alexander did, of course, have a huge impact, tying together much of the Greco-Persian world in a way it had not been before. But his kingdom fragmented into the warring Successor Kingdoms, which would fade in power relatively quickly. Caesar's adopted son Octavian succeeded him as Augustus, albeit after a decade and a half of conflict, and Caesar's changes to the form of government lasted for five centuries.

Though perhaps it's a matter of terminology. From a cultural impact standpoint, a good argument could be made that the spread of Greek culture through Anatolia, the Middle East, and Egypt was attributable in large part to Alexander, and it lasted a millennium or longer, whereas Caesar spread Roman culture to the relatively small area of Gaul and Britain.

As for the deaths... Caesar's death lends itself to drama; according to Plutarch, he had been warned that harm would come to him no later than the Ides of March, and remarked on the Ides that the Ides had already arrived; a seer responded that they had arrived, but were not over. And later that day he was killed by a few senators. But let's not pretend he didn't have plenty of enemies; there would not have been a civil war afterwards if it had been a rogue few senators and everyone had loved Caesar. You didn't need to wait 1500 years for Shakespeare to write a play about it to have a drama.

Alexander, it's true, did conquer the world while still a young man, and that story does have its appeal. But of his death, far less is known, and the story is not to strong. Was it poison? Illness? Caused by or exacerbated by excessive drinking? No one really knows, and that might even be by design. With Caesar, there's a story that fits right into the climax of a play, with Alexander, there's an unexpected and poorly explained death.

The one that comes to mind is a drink, the Brandy Alexander. Which is (arguably) named after Tsar Alexander II, who was named after his uncle Alexander I, who was named after Alexander Nevsky. Was Alexander Nevsky named after Alexander the Great? I do not know. But perhaps the Brandy Alexander, through a few degrees of indirection, owes its name to him as well.

He was a great warlord, which makes him a murderous maniac in modern standards, although it is not fair to judge people by standards other than those of their time.

Tbf, at the time he would have found it difficult to become great by being a philosopher or mathematician; too much competition ^_^

I'm not that interested in Alexander himself, but the Diadochi period following his death would be a great setting for a big budget somewhat historical TV show.

It's interesting to note that Alexander did have courtiers tasked with writing down his exploits. Yet it was Caesar's books that were to be passed down through the centuries, and still read over 2000 years later. Why? Hard to say, but I wouldn't be surprised if part of the answer was that Caesar had more literary talent than Alexander's courtiers. I've come close to buying a copy of Caesar's Conquest of Gaul a few times myself, yet I don't even know the names of the contemporary books from Alexander's conquests.

Caesar's books survive largely because of their usefulness in teaching Latin, for which it is still one of the most-used texts (any Latin student today will read the Commentaries). Remember, the literary survivals from classical antiquity are largely determined by what medieval monks find useful. Cicero's works survive for some of the same reasons: they are also useful for teaching Latin.

The two most famous phrases Caesar said were in nice latin (or rather in another language :) ) :
Ἀνεῤῥίφθω κύβος (alea iacta est)
Και συ τέκνον, Βρούτε; (et tu, Brute?)

Caesar's books survive largely because of their usefulness in teaching Latin, for which it is still one of the most-used texts (any Latin student today will read the Commentaries). Remember, the literary survivals from classical antiquity are largely determined by what medieval monks find useful. Cicero's works survive for some of the same reasons: they are also useful for teaching Latin.

Specifically, they (Caesar and Cicero) come from a very idealised period when it comes to the study of Latin - even though the language has evolved hugely over the millennia between our oldest surviving sources (circa 4-500BC IIRC) and the present day (particularly in the form of Ecclesiastical Latin), the way it was used by the Roman elites in classical era from around 100BC to 100AD has long been held up as the "right" way to write and speak Latin by those who study and teach the language. This can be particularly seen in the late medieval / renaissance period where many scholars acting outside of the Catholic church basically threw out all the natural evolution of Latin that had occurred over the preceding 1500 or so years and went back to this classical form.

The two most famous phrases Caesar said were in nice latin (or rather in another language :) ) :
His single most famous quote is probably veni, vidi, vici.

He was a great warlord, which makes him a murderous maniac in modern standards, although it is not fair to judge people by standards other than those of their time.

Plenty of people in their own time period had low opinions of Alexander and Caesar

Top Bottom