why replace mud roads?

The mouse-over is incorrect. Mud Path gives +1 movement range. Road gives 1/2 movement cost.

With any unit with 1 movement it makes no difference. Once you have units with 2 movement it does.

1 movement on Mud Path makes it 2.
2 movement on Mud Path makes it 3.
1 movement on Road makes it 2.
2 movement on Road makes it 4.

Cheers

The biggest reason to replace the mud tracks is because they are hideously ugly. Looks like someone sprayed silly string all over my map......

The biggest reason to replace the mud tracks is because they are hideously ugly. Looks like someone sprayed silly string all over my map......

Maybe it should be renamed "Clay Roads" then, or, alternately, "Silly-String Brick Roads" ;)

Road is 1st route which gives +1 hammer to mines, and mud path doesn't. So I usually replace mud path with road on tiles with mines.

@Koshling
The worker action button for Mud Path states:
"Travel Costs 1/2 Movement Point"

Same for Road worker action button.

@Sleeeper
Although the original question had to do with movement points you have a good reason for building a Road instead of a Mud Path. I also make sure Jungle Camps have the latest available road type and that all Cottages have Paved Roads. This being apart from routes I want to travel fast along that always are up-to-date roads.

Cheers

I'm gonna bump this thread because I was just wondering the same thing and the problem hasn't been fixed yet.
I have been building mud paths (had to change BUG settings so they would show up) because they take less time to build and cost 0 gold. I have only been putting the roads on mines for the extra hammer.

Mud roads provide a +1 movement, and regular roads have a 1/2 movement point use. This means that a unit with 1 MP can move 2 on a mud road and 2 on a regular road. The difference is for units with 2 mp. They can move 3 following mud roads, and 4 following regular roads. So if you are heavy on Infantry stick with mud roads, but if you want your cavalry and all other units with 2 or more MP to move faster, build regualar road routes between your cities.

I think mud road has 2/3 movement cost. So if you have 3 movement, you get 5 on mud road, and 6 on regular road.

Only Roads adds a hammer to Mines. Paved, Railroad do not, for mines. This is because of the Shaft Mine upgrade to Mines.

Roads add a hammer to Jungle camps, but so does Paved, and then again Railroad. So upgrade JCs with each new road type.

JosEPh

Only Roads adds a hammer to Mines. Paved, Railroad do not, for mines. This is because of the Shaft Mine upgrade to Mines.

Roads add a hammer to Jungle camps, but so does Paved, and then again Railroad. So upgrade JCs with each new road type.

JosEPh

So if you updated a mine to a paved road, would you lose a hammer?

No. Later routes DO add to mines, they just don't add any MORE than a road does.

Which is disappointing to me. I liked the old RoM way where every road upgrade added a hammer to a mine. Not that any upgrade above a path/mud road only adds what a base Road would give and no more. But that was the cost to curb production when the Hue and Cry over it arose.

JosEPh :/

Which is disappointing to me. I liked the old RoM way where every road upgrade added a hammer to a mine. Not that any upgrade above a path/mud road only adds what a base Road would give and no more. But that was the cost to curb production when the Hue and Cry over it arose.

JosEPh :/

Are you talking about a fairly old version of RoM (pre AND)?. In AND it didn't, but there was just a hover text bug that made it appear as it it did, which I fixed a release or two ago in C2C.

Yes, back in the "day" when the RoM forum was as busy as this one. When Afforess' Modmod was still a germinating idea. Iirc the early versions of AND used to do so too. Like up to version 1.53 or 1.55. I still have those. But I lost the 1.4 series. Any way after 5+ years of RoM it's all starting to run together.

JosEPh ( Old and Slow....and getting tired....)

Top Bottom