1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Steam is bad for you

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by jihe, Sep 26, 2010.

1. deanej

deanej Deity

I don't call the OS a third party service. As for your other stuff, if the software is directly related to what I'm trying to do, it's not considered "third party" for my argument. Thus java, Flash (btw, I'm not considereing web pages applications, though the requirement to have many plugins is not something I like), Foxit, and AV are not considered third party for this argument. Furthermore, if your ISP requires that you install extra software, get a new ISP. Steam doesn't help make my civ5 experience better; it's simply required.

I will concede with Sandboxie, but note that I also use it for keeping my computer virus free and that it's not required.

2. kmvoss

kmvoss Chieftain

Didn't bother to read much of the thread, but I've been a steam user since 2004. I love it, and will continue to use it as long as it is around. It is a great program for gamers. I wish all games were released on it.

3. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

I meant ISP not on installing software, but you have to dole out monthly payments to them or they will cancel your service, and ISPs have indeed throttled speeds without proof of wrongdoing and could spy on all of your internet activities. Which is a lot worse than Steam, which is free, doesn't spy on non-steam activities, and won't cancel your internet. The things I listed were all software stuff required in order to do something else.

4. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

For anyone at risk of thinking this guy is reasonable, he wants a disc check so he can run the entire game in a sandbox (a virtual computer within a computer). He is so security minded that he believes anti-virus software cannot be trusted. I'm amazed he ever connects to the internet, even to repeat endlessly how Steam is bad and we're signing over our firstborn to them.

Moderator Action: Flaming
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

5. SuicideMW

SuicideMW Chieftain

I love Steam and never had a problem with it in the three years I've used it.

I think more companies should start using it.

6. Bobisback

Bobisback Emperor

I for one have a whole list of things I hate about steam, for one it is always connecting to the internet and downloading crap for civ 5, what if I do not want a patch? what if I removed the movies so it would skip them? No steam whats to go off and download the movies or download a stupid patch that I do not care about anyway updating something that is worthless to me. If a patch comes out for civ 5 then fine I will download it, after i look at what it changes and decide if I even want it.

Then there is the fact that it installs the game to some crazy location.

Also one time i tried to play and it told me that Civ 5 is unavailable!!! unavailable??? I bought the game how is it unavailable???? I was just playing it like 2 hours ago on the same computer???

And then there is the system resources it uses. It uses 45mb of ram???? 45mb what the hell could it possibly be doing with 45mb of ram???? my total system running idle only uses 150mb!!! (I guess not that I need the 45mb but haha still it is annoying)

Well thats a couple of things I have some more but ready to go to bed.

See ya all,
    Bob

7. mamba

mamba Deity

I see a lot more anti-Steam zealots, in fact I hardly ever see any Steam zealots.
    As you are one of the anti zealots, my guess is that your perception is scewed.

8. mamba

mamba Deity

so, you simply do not play many different games (but those you play to death). And this is relevant how ?

9. mamba

mamba Deity

Non-deterministic is easy, it is guessing the right answer that is difficult ;)

10. BloodCelt

BloodCelt Chieftain

I've had it for years and other then its very rocky and unpromising start with HL2. I found steam to be a much less problomatic DRM (and Shopping tool) then the alternatives like Starforge or Securom.

But yes, Steam did eat my baby, so it does have the evil factor you have to deal with.

BC

11. mamba

mamba Deity

That's why a few paranoid people don't like Steam.

What if your disk has read errors ? I find that a far more likely scenario....

see, you even provided the answer to your own question ;)

12. mamba

mamba Deity

Yes, based on his own experience, it is what most people do pretty much all the time.

13. mamba

mamba Deity

Ok, anti-Steam zealots using the unproven (and verifiably false) statements of other zealots as proof. Just great.

As Novem said, you choose to believe this as it fits your agenda, instead of actually finding out that it wrong first hand, as that would force you to admit that you are wrong.

14. mamba

mamba Deity

No, it is not decent, I do consider this a flaw in Steam. But then it does not bother me much as I rarely ever sell a game, I just throw it out.

15. mamba

mamba Deity

If you manage to install a game, you will have no issues with Steam either. All you need to do is double click its installer and download the game off it (or register it in it if you bought the DVD, never did that, when I use Steam, I buy it there too, so not quite sure what would be needed in that case).

All the 'what if' cases pretty much do not exist outside the minds of some zealots.

16. mamba

mamba Deity

No idea, but my webbrowser frequently uses a multitude of that. In the grand scheme of things, 45mb is 1% of my RAM on my notebook, less on my PC. In other words, it is not even worth mentioning.

17. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

As has been said many times, you can easily disable automatic updates.

It installs it to the Steam folder, hardly a crazy location. It could, however, prompt you as to where you'd like to install it, but there is a way to get it to do that.

No idea, this happened to me once with a game, it was some bug. It was fixed after a 1 minute search and asking a friend on Steam. This isn't a common occurrence.

Unless you have like half a gig of RAM or something, its insignificant. There are a number of constant processes running that are uneeded. Also, for me, Steam usually runs at about 12 to 15 megabytes of RAM when it is minimized to the system tray, and during games. I have 2 gigs of RAM and most computers now have 3 or 4 or more these days. Google Chrome, a very light-weight browser, takes up about 30 megabytes when its doing nothing and has nothing loaded!

18. FarmerHE

FarmerHE Chieftain

Sorry for me laughing

But you are seriously sugesting that its better install a sandbox either as a dualboot (Slows down start time of the game) or as a virtual machine (Reduce the amount of computer power left for the game and often gives worse graphics performance) and have no problem with this compared to install a simple program that even gives me some added benefit of auto patching my games...

Agreed you could just do that but it still gives another 3rd party program that needs to run (And in fact we have alot of those already mostly as drivers but they are still processes that need to run)

19. dannythefool

dannythefool King

It helps make mine better because it provides an ingame web browser via shift-tab.

20. Xiao Xiong

Xiao Xiong Prince

What you are saying here is this is too hard for you: Right click on game, properties, updates, do not update. You are saying you mod your games heavily and you cannot figure that out? Give me a break.