1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Wich are the best wonders?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by AugustoD, Nov 13, 2001.

1. marceagleye

marceagleye Underground Economist

Sun Tzu's Art of War coupled with Leonardo's workshop- the best pair of Great Wonders to have....

2. Fierro1816

Fierro1816 The bearded man

Leo's Littleshop of Horrors!!

Almost pissing my pants! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

3. gecko1234

gecko1234 Chieftain

Actually units in an army do get promoted they just wont create leaders.

If you put say cavalry or longbows or swords in an army when they are obsolete you can keep them as a useful unit the whole game. For instance my latest game i put 4 cavalry in an army and the thing is deadly against veteran infantry in size 20 cities defended by artillery. Normally i would have lost 3 of those cavalry attacking instead i lost none.

4. Sun-Pin

Sun-Pin Chieftain

Sun-Tzu is amazing for fighting wars and healing units in newly captured cities. But I usually enter the Industrial Age with a modest lead if at all. However, by the end of the period, it's essentially a won game, be it space race or domination.

Using a research path that follows Steam Power, Industrialization (purchase factories with about 3000 - 4000 gold from trading), Sanitation, Nationalism and then move towards Electronics. I stock up building a wonder (such as Smith's) and switch to Theory of Evolution about the time I begin researching either Atomic Theory or Electronics. That either gives me electronics or electronics and replaceable parts. The wonder the comes next, Hoover's Dam, when coupled with the aggressive buying of factories with double digit turns to complete ensures that I'll outproduce my rivals and set the stage for a quick conquest of important cities and resources.

Every other wonder in the game up to that point is nice to have, but not necessary. I've won at Monarch and Emperor without having any wonders at all prior to ToE and HD. Instead, my bloodthirsty, well-equipped military gains them through conquest.

5. NewWaver

NewWaver Special Agent

The ones I tend to zoom in on first are:

Great Lighthouse
    Great Library
    Sun Tzu's Art of War
    Great Wall
    Leonardo's Workshop
    Magellan's Voyage
    Theory of Evolution
    United Nations
    Pyramids

6. Zier

Zier got milk?

The ones I usually go for are Pyramids/Great library/Sistine's chapel and Hoover Dam.

Best ones in the game imo.

7. trumpeteer

trumpeteer Player of Trumpet

My personal favorites are Smith's, Sun Tzu's, and Hoover Dam. I hate the whole idea of the all-consuming U.N. and usually keep it turned off.

8. alancarre

alancarre Chieftain

The thing about the Great Library is that it only works for known civs. So if you only know 2 or 3 civs, it's not going to be that useful. Combine it with the Great Lighthouse and a galley though and... well you get the idea.

- Alan

9. HAND

HAND Armchair Philosopher

I usually go for Great Library, Sistine Chapel, Leonardo's Workshop, J.s Bach, Adam Smiths, Shakes' Theatre. In industrial and modern ages i try and build them all!

10. Godwynn

Godwynn March to the Sea

J.S. Bach / Sistine Chapel / Shakespeare

I love Happiness and Culture!!!

11. trumpeteer

Always go for the permanent wonders. I always try to build the Pyramids as soon as I have a few cities up and running. Sun Tzu's is the next big thing. I find Bach's Cathedral more important than Sistine Chapel because I don't often have the money to build Cathedrals in all the trouble spots. The one everyone's GOT TO HAVE is Smith's. It's just too bad everyone can't have it(only me!;))

But any wonder's a better wonder when it's yours!!! Build all that you can, even if you don't need 'em. I'd rather it be my rock then your Uranium!:nuke:

12. trumpeteer

Always go for the permanent wonders. I always try to build the Pyramids as soon as I have a few cities up and running. Sun Tzu's is the next big thing. I find Bach's Cathedral more important than Sistine Chapel because I don't often have the money to build Cathedrals in all the trouble spots. The one everyone's GOT TO HAVE is Smith's. It's just too bad everyone can't have it(only me!;))

But any wonder's a better wonder when it's yours!!! Build all that you can, even if you don't need 'em. I'd rather it be my rock then your Uranium!:nuke:

13. Beanzy

Beanzy Chieftain

I always go for the ones that'll give you an improvement, that way, I can build other stuff instead. I.E., I always go for Pyramids fast and, though I now this is a bad thing to do, I never really build a granary. As for Sun Tzu, I build about 4 barracks to produce my army, and then never bother to build another. Same with the Internet. Oh, and I always leader rush things like Shakespeares Theater and stuff like that for the culture boost in my fringe cities.

14. trumpeteer

I never build granaries either, unless I get the Pyramids. I just don't find the benefits substantial enough to build 'em. The Internet is a MUST HAVE for anyone. In just a few turns, all those cities that you can't do diddly-squat with (or that have a valuable resource just outside their borders:mad:!!!) will become your greatest asset. I really never build Barracks, except for a few, unless I get Sun Tzu's. I only build Marketplaces if a city is getting 2 gold or more, which doesn't happen very often early in the game with a science setting at 90%. Smith's Trading Company is one of the best.

15. Frisian Warrior

Frisian Warrior with a cannon

Lots of differing viewpoints in this thread, very interesting. The UN is of course a make-or-break wonder. That said, I love the Pyramids, it is the only(?) ancient wonder that never expires, and granaries are very imporant, especially only on. That said, when I manage to build the GL I can put science to 0 for a (usually short) while which allows rushing settlers and everything else that needs rushing. That said, each of the Middle Age Wonders does awesome things, they are very well balanced against each other.

If small wonders are taken into account, I should add I spend most of my time in the Forbidden Palace.

16. Tarwoch

Tarwoch Chieftain

There are six groups of Wonders that SHOULD be built:
    I. SCIENCE WONDERS
    Colossus
    Copernicus' Observatory
    Newton's University
    SETI Program

II. CULTURAL WONDERS
    Sistine Chapel
    Shakespeare's Theatre
    Bach's Cathedral

III. EXPLORATION WONDERS
    Lighthouse
    Magellan's Voyage

IV. HAPPINESS WONDERS
    Oracle
    Cure for Cancer
    Universal Suffrage

V. CITY IMPROVING WONDERS
    Pyramids
    Hoover Dam
    War Academy

VI. UN

Building other wonders is optional. For example, many players worry about building Great Library. This Wonder was a powerful mean of advancing in CivII, but in CivIII it doesn't have so powerful opportunities since expiration advance (Education) can be researched quicker than Electricity in Civ II.

17. Darkness

Darkness Shadow creature

There is only one must-build wonder and that's the UN! The rest you can live without....

18. CIVPhilzilla

CIVPhilzilla Reagan Republican

I liked the old UN. Where you could launch a full nuclear attack on the enemy and the next turn make them sign a peace treaty with them. I personally have never lost to the AI by Diplomatic Victory cuz I am able to win before they even get a chance. Anyway favorite wonder has got to be Sisten Chaple and with PTW I just got to invent the internet, science boost from that is just simply amazing.

19. CaptainCivFreak

CaptainCivFreak Arsenal Gunner

Great Library, Pyramids, Cure for Cancer, UN. GL - techs. Pyramids - good to have. CfC - Good for war. UN - stop voting.

20. tjhooker

tjhooker Overbuljongterningpakkmes

Cant remember anybody mentioning The Internet? How come?

Well, it is pretty useless so late in the game, but still it makes every newly conquered citys accumulating culture, and within 5 turns the city's borders expand. So much for Culture Flipping back...

On my games, short, tiny maps, future era, many civs, this one can save alot of money in rushing libraries...

But UN still is the most important wonder.
    Sun Tzu on second.