Will Civilization 6 be a shooter?

The problem here comes for the modern era (airplanes, trench warfare, scale - way too many units, ect.), which is from what i understand, the reason why the total war series isn't going farther in time than the early mid 19th century

@Insaneweasel: :lol: nice!

Did that *bleep* just say strategy games are not in anymore? sure it's a niche market, but the niche is still there.
Now sure i enjoy shooters when i'm bored and want some quick fun but strategy games are still on my top list.

And also , did he think about the fact the FPS market is already saturated? that he will have to compete with big names like Call Of Duty and Battlefield?

This is a sad day indeed. Let's just hope he doesn't touch Civ with his FPS madness.

What you posted is terrible OP, i'll give you that. But I really think your thread title is alarmist and Civ doesn't have much of a chance to get turned into an FPS yet. I mean, how WOULD you? Civ doesn't have a specific setting you can set an FPS in like Warhammer or Starcraft - you'd have to play a main character that lived for 6000 years lol?

So. In the infinite wisdom of 2K Games, strategy games aren't 'of this time'
(source)

Will this be the future of Civilization as well?
Taking the IP and changing the genre to something that makes more cash is more contemporary like a First-Person Shooter?
They're already trying it by making it a social game (Civworld) and a more console friendly game (Civilization Revolution). So what will this spell for the future of the franchise?
If they can turn an excellent game like X-Com into a shooter, they'll probably be able to destroy make the Civilization franchise more contemporary.

I'd just wish 2K Games would sell the Civilization-rights to a firm that cares :(
(Come-on, Paradox, I know you want it!)

The interesting thing is, I'm not actually convinced turning X-Com into an FPS even makes more money. Your name recognition isn't going to do anything for you because all the original fans are going to hear 'fps' and automatically dismiss the game, so you're just left with another mediocre shooter.

As for Civ, sure they can make weird spinoffs in different genres but it's niche as a historical simulator would be unprofitable to leave.

Did that *bleep* just say strategy games are not in anymore? sure it's a niche market, but the niche is still there.
Now sure i enjoy shooters when i'm bored and want some quick fun but strategy games are still on my top list.

And also , did he think about the fact the FPS market is already saturated? that he will have to compete with big names like Call Of Duty and Battlefield?

This is a sad day indeed. Let's just hope he doesn't touch Civ with his FPS madness.

It is a sad day. 2K Games is the millstone that prevents Civ from reaching its true potential.

Civ has already been tainted and is in the hands of incompetent physicians. :sad:

In this FPS theme, why not in war situations if a Great General is in possession, you could see the war through his eyes, make strategic decisions on the battlefield, etc. ... kind of like a quarterback. He could select from a multitude of strategies, some specialized and some that must be "unlocked".

Perhaps you could select a member of a unit (such as a legion) and duel the AI for a promotion boost...

You could also make multiplayer more dynamic through FPS... several players could control certain aspects of a CIV instead of having "advisors" (one player may control science, diplomacy, etc., while another controls city production, war strategy, etc.) and all players of the civ could see actions in real time with little pop up screens (within a time-limit per turn)

Can't wait for the FPS version! I bet that'll be a blast! You start off with a wooden club and end up driving a giant death robot! How cool would that be!

Oh wait, hang on, no, no that would be pretty bad. I like some FPS, but FPS civ? Hmmm. No.

I know what franchise needs to be revived and could use some FPS love.

PIZZA TYCOON!

Now make that happen, 2K and leave Civ alone!

It' already been tainted horribly by Civ World *spit on floor*

I really think your thread title is alarmist and Civ doesn't have much of a chance to get turned into an FPS yet. I mean, how WOULD you?
Like this:

Year: 900 AD/CE

George Washington: "Men, the Aztecs outnumber us a billion to twelve! Fear not though, our greatest warrior is coming with an amazing new weapon to save us all!:scan:"

Main character: "Take this, scumbags!" *Fires arquebus*:scan:

BOOM!
You missed! :confused: Reload!
*3 minutes spent reloading* :blush:

Fire again!
*click*
*click*
:eek:
You have beer in your arquebus. What will you do? :confused:

A: Throw it down and pull out your pokey stick
B: Look down the barrel in a comically dangerous fashion ;)
You get shot with your own arquebus! :cry:
You are dead. Now begin again at 4000 BC :mad:

Where do you people get these weird ideas? Of course it won't. Civilization has been on the console before, and just because they make a facebook game doesn't mean anything.

What would be cool though, is a set up where whenever your units engage another unit, it starts a online multiplayer game in Call of Duty online where real Xbox players then fight out your battle while you watch!

(Okay you'd get turns that lasted a day and a half but it would be cool!)

He offers the following rationale:

I use the example of music artists. Look at someone old school like Ray Charles, if he would make music today it would still be Ray Charles but he would probably do it more in the style of Kanye West. Bringing Ray Charles back is all fine and good, but it just needs to move on, although the core essence will still be the same.

:hammer2: :lol: :lmao:

I believe the Ray Charles debacle has numerous implications relating to time traveling, because if indeed Ray Charles had managed a way to time travel to to 2000s to stablish his own career, it would had also changed the time line in ways that few can imagine:

-Kanye's Hit single (aka the one you know) Gold Digger would had not feature a sample from Ray Charles "I got a woman" as sung by Jamie Foxx, but would had included a sample from another biopicked artist: Rick James as sung by Dave Chappelle. The hit rap song is now a bit too much even for the already somewhat mysoginist genre.

-Jamie Foxx's biopic about the struggling blind Georgian musician now would revolve around the shenanigans of a blind time traveler who just punches the buttons when time traveling, not really time traveling anywhere.

-Unknown to most players, the FPS genre had it's origins in John Romero's deep affection for Charles lesser known b-side "Woman, hand me my chainsaw". Without Charles inspirational words, Romero pushes Carmack into making a better Text RPG technology. Which to my knowledge is still the hottest thing in gaming these days.

-Without Ray Charles as a musician, other musicians must fill the enormous Ray Charles sized gap in music history. Enter Devastatin' Dave:

-2k Games, no longer having Ray Charles for a half assed analogy, instead us as a example Canada's finest Lonely Boy: Paul Anka.
Look at someone old school like Paul Anka, if he would make music today it would still be Paul Anka but he would probably do it more in the style of Devastatin' Dave

-Can Ray Charles still save his parents marriage if he only time traveled 3 seconds into the past?
-would Kanye West interrupt 2k's Christopher Hartmann's analogy to state that Civ 2 is one of the best games of all time?
-Did you know that Paul Anka's short documentary "Lonely Boy" is actually a seminal work of Cinéma vérité?, you know that now! (it's also very inane).

I'm just a lonely boy, lonely and blue I'm all alone with nothin' to do:culture:

I don't think the franchise->shooter conversion has ever turned out well. Think.. Starfox.

And there have been signs going the other direction too, like the RTS set in the Halo universe.

The very thought is a nightmare. I seem to be growing old and my favorite game lines aren't growing with me, they are dying. What the hell am I supposed to do when I retire? Play golf? That sounds horrible. Watch TV? My cat is smarter than most TV writers these days. I want good games to play. Civ VI should be a turn based game just like it is now, not some damn shooter which I wouldn't pay 1 cent for.

I entirely agree (or "this" for the more cantbearsedspeak of us). In my younger years I played anything I could get my teeth into, FPS (Doom, Quake, Unreal Tournament), Racing with the Colin McRae series and original PGR, Strategy and "God" games like Civilization and the Sim City franchise and others to numerous to mention. I could go back further in years to platformers on the Spectrum but we'd be here all day.

The point is, as I've gotten older, real life tends to get in the way of quality gaming time so you have to pick and choose those games you want to expend time on a little more carefully. With me it was Civilization and Sim City with perhaps a little Virtual Pool 3 thrown in for good measure here and there. Virtual Pool 3 is a turd to get working in Windows 7 and the chances of seeing a new version are slim although they've been promising it for eons. Sim City was completely destroyed with the abysmal Sim City Societies and I can't see a "proper" Sim City 5 ever happening (plus Sim City 4 + Rush Hour is very unstable on multiple core systems which is pretty much everything these days). So, I'm left with Civilization. 4 is thankfully stable on the machines of today and will hopefully remain so for years to come. 5 has finally become a decent game with the patches so I also have that...but for how long? Civilization 6 is likely to be (and I don't want to use the words "dumbed down more" and start a war) tuned to the more contemporary audience, not older farts like me who don't necessarily need the immediate rush of excitement jabbing someone in the eye with a spear gives. I have Civ 4 for the slow burn of empire building and 5 if a feel in the mood for something a little more "casual". I can see Civilization 6 following this route and becoming more casual still and it's at this point I'd have to decry the loss of all the franchises I stuck with and loved.

Then take up golf instead. :sad:

I thought we already knew what civ 6 would be like.
Spoiler :

Attachments

• civ6a.jpg
    civ6a.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 543
Top Bottom