Will Smith acts like a crazy person and slaps the Oscars presenter

I hate this idea that intent doesn’t matter. It makes no sense.

Also, Jada is pretty famous in America but appears to be mostly unknown internationally. She’s been in a TV series and done some movies.

I bet if your face was getting smacked, you'd care about intent. Rock seems to. If you want to be more insulted for having seen bad behavior than the man that got hit? Then intent better be discounted.

Gee whiz, thanks for that explanation. Back to my statement: It was a joke, not an insensitive insult. Because it was a joke, not an insult. I do realise very well jokes can be used as an insult. This one wasn't.

I can imagine, since them being millionaires wasn't the point when I said: "should not attend an event where it is practically tradition to crack jokes about the millionaires in the room"

The core of contention is, is it an insensitive joke that comes as an insult, or is it an acceptable joke? I already explained to mock someone who is bald due to sickness is an insensitive joke and insulting, but you haven't explained the reason why you think such a joke is not insensitive. So far you just keep reiterating that it's a (common/harmless) joke over and over again while not giving any attention to my argument that explain why I think otherwise.

The slap is surprising since it answers speech with violence. Also: it's not an insult, it's a joke.

edit: Just realized, if it's an insult, it means Jada is insulted to be compared to Demi Moore in GI Jane.

Not very nice towards Demi Moore is it?

No, you miss the point intentionally, lol, it's not about Demi Moore but it's about the hair, I would like to explain it for you but I think you already understand lol

Is the name: "host at the Oscars"? (assuming the people you're referring to are the guests at the Oscars who have been roasted at the Oscars for years)

In your view, are there any actual limits to the social license you apparently believe is provided by "joking"?

Actor Will Smith banned from attending Oscars for 10 years
(CNN)Will Smith will not be allowed to attend the Academy Awards for the next 10 years, as a result of his slapping comedian Chris Rock on stage during this year's Oscar ceremony, the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts & Sciences announced in a statement obtained by CNN.

"The Board has decided, for a period of 10 years from April 8, 2022, Mr. Smith shall not be permitted to attend any Academy events or programs, in person or virtually, including but not limited to the Academy Awards," Academy President David Rubin and CEO Dawn Hudson said in a statement on Friday. The decision was made during a Board of Governors meeting held earlier in the day in Los Angeles. The meeting, initially scheduled for April 18, was expedited after Smith announced his resignation from the Academy last week.
Smith issued a quick, concise statement on his ban from the Oscars for the next decade.

"I accept and respect the Academy's decision," the actor said in a statement to CNN. CNN has reached out to Rock's representatives for comment. The decision came following "tons of debate" on what the consequences of his on-stage slap should be, a board member tells CNN. The Academy's letter added: "The 94th Oscars were meant to be a celebration of the many individuals in our community who did incredible work this past year; however, those moments were overshadowed by the unacceptable and harmful behavior we saw Mr. Smith exhibit on stage." "During our telecast, we did not adequately address the situation in the room," the letter went on to state. "For this, we are sorry. This was an opportunity for us to set an example for our guests, viewers and our Academy family around the world, and we fell short — unprepared for the unprecedented."

The Board of Governors said in a previous statement that they wanted the matter to be "handled in a timely fashion." Smith's resignation means that he is no longer part of the Academy's voting body, but it does not prevent the Oscar winner from being nominated in the future, a source with knowledge previously told CNN.

Typically, the previous year's best actor winner presents the current year's best actress award (and the reigning best actress presents to the best actor trophy). With Smith's ban, the Oscars will have to break that tradition.
Post-Seppuku-Execution it is... He had already voluntarily quit the Academy before they issued this ruling so this is little more than figuratively executing a dead man.

"I quit!" ... "You can't quit! We fire you!" ... "Too late! I already quit!" *sticks out tongue*... "No! You quit only because you knew we would fire you!" *sticks out tongue*

Reminds me of the motorcycle gang's bar scene in Pee Wee's Big Adventure (one of my all time fav movies BTW)

"I say oooh!... We kill em'!"
"YEAH!!!"
"I say we hang em', then we kill em'!"
"YEAH!!!"
"I say we scalp em!"
"YEAH!!!"
"Then we tattoo em'!"
"YEAH!!!"
"Then we hang em'!
"YEAH!!!"
"And then we kill em'!"
"YEAH!!!"

Last edited:
I don't get the point. It was unscripted, regardless of what it was a part of. Rock chose to do it, and chose to deliver it in the way that he did. He could've easily picked any other person there with their partner. Are you saying he's not a good enough comedian to manage that? :D
As I've said earlier, I don't think he could have directed a joke at anyone else or any other couple at that particular moment, because I think he felt obligated to ad-lib a joke at Jada, because he had just made a joke directed at another famous couple, Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem, then tied Will Smith into the joke... so to not balance the scales by also acknowledging Will Smith's partner, would have come off as a snub of Jada. Chris Rock knew this, which is why he immediately pointed at Jada and said "Jada! Love ya!"... but being a comedian, he felt the need to ad-lib a joke/roast in with the acknowledgment... and the rest is history. At least that's my hot take.

I don't get the point. It was unscripted, regardless of what it was a part of. Rock chose to do it, and chose to deliver it in the way that he did. He could've easily picked any other person there with their partner. Are you saying he's not a good enough comedian to manage that? :D

I imagine that (maybe falsely, but seems plausible) there aren't that many actor/actress couples present there with (at least) one of the two being famous enough to make sense to joke about them :dunno:

Ricky Gervais weighs in

Be kind to animals!

It was ok, although he did try to make it about himself (he was trending on twitter? ok) :D

Penelope Cruz

Damn it :) I thought she looked like Cruz. But also different. (duh) Just older ^_^

Last edited:
I wouldn't endorse that phrasing, but that's the gist of it, yes. Any normal person, anyone who hasn't had their brain turned to soup by excessive exposure to the internet, understands that striking somebody is an inappropriate response to a joke, even an offensive one (and I remain unconvinced that the fragile web of context renders Rock's extremely tepid joke offensive). Those affecting to believe that sometimes it might be appropriate to hit somebody for telling a joke on the grounds that the physical appearance of public figures is sacrosanct are speaking in bad faith, because they have never previously indicated any such belief, and I don't seriously believe will continue to act as if they hold this belief in future. They are inventing a deeply-held beliefs so that they can take a side on the hot topic of the week, and will surely discover new deeply-held beliefs in the coming weeks.
Sure but also slapping someone who insulted your wife is a forgivable response.

It is certainly more forgivable than if there wasn't even any theoretical case to be made for intention to insult, but imo it is still pretty strange and I wouldn't dissociate it with the general "toxic masculinity"* discussion which itself is often tied to revanchism and vigilantism.
*after all, it wasn't Jada that slapped Rock, but her husband, and I don't see how that is his role in the first place, without taking into account machismo and similar problematic behaviors.

Last edited:
Was Randy Newman’s Short People offensive. I don’t mean if you just think it wasn’t a good song.

forgivable, yes. more so than walking up to someone at random and slapping them too. we can forgive if, as the type of thing that is a mistake small enough that people can move on from it without too much long term damage.

but it is still assault, and also still inappropriate. thus acknowledged as such

Mike Tyson got verbally abused and trolled by a "fan", and he lashed out however this time public opinion regarding his battery seems more positive than that of Smith's slap. I understand why two of them did what they did, without agreeing what they did are necessary, but their victim kinda agitates such reactions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom