1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Will there be Rhye's and Fall of Civilization 6?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Creation & Customization' started by Genghis Khaiser, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

Spoiler :
    It comes from "Seven Seas of Rhye", a song by Queen.
    When I registered to CFC in 2001, I did it for posting a fantasy mod for Civ2 based on Ultima Online. In that RPG I had a fantasy-style named playing character, so I kept the same nickname for Civfanatics too

2. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

let's see how it works first.

3. rastak

rastak Emperor

Man, you weren't eligible to enter! Looks like my memory served me well!

4. Riker

Riker True Metal of Steel

let's hope we won't have to found a religion with ethiopia again

5. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

Which one: the instrumental on Queen I or the one with lyrics on Queen II? :mischief:

6. MAHRana

MAHRana Prince

It could work imho if they did improve the processing, and also remember not every city needs several districts and not every empire needs so many cities. If anything, we could settle with localized scenarios (a Rhye colonization mod would be awesome). You could really see how the community was trying to push for something like RFC lol, so we'd be glad to help this time round.
    Would seriously consider buying a PC and the game just to rekindle those Civ IV days if the new release works out well, it's nice where Ed Beach is taking Civ so the modding capabilities should be fine if anything with a few work arounds.

7. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Moderator Action: Moved to Creation & Customization

8. Anders JJ

Anders JJ Chieftain

Really hoping for the RFC mod for ciVI. Didn't really bother getting into ciV cause this mod was missing and the game seemed incomplete without it (well, it was incomplete when it first came out...).

9. Lord of War N02

Lord of War N02 Grand Master of the East

I would love to see RFC in Civ 6, I miss that mod in Civ 4

10. Mezzy

Mezzy Chieftain

I have so many memories of playing RFC on Civ4! I really hope it works on on Civ6 :D

11. Publicola

Publicola Prince

Rhye, I posted a few thoughts on dealing with the issues of movement and map size in another thread in this forum. It's written for a 'Rhye's of Europe' mod specifically, but I think quite a bit of it would also apply to the general "Rhye's of Civilization" mod covering world history as a whole.

There's more in the rest of the thread (here), but I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts!

12. w.s.burroughs

w.s.burroughs Chieftain

I'm not a Rhye myself, but I want to tell that I think that balance should prevail over realism.

(I've seen many promising mods that were wasted by unbalanced gameplay and bad design decisions)

13. johan313

johan313 Chieftain

This is my first login in probably 6-8 years or more. I just came to say that this mod might be the only reason i decide to buy Civ 6.

Also, I pledge to provide programming help if needed. I can squeeze in a few hours each week.

ljofthemm likes this.
  14. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

Thank you for the contributions!
    It's great to see people coming back from 8 years, or other stating not to be "a Rhye" :)

Publicola -> yes, your ideas are all possible options, we just don't know what can be done until we put our hands on it.
    Either making the map not only bigger, but also fatter (although some territory will lose some strategic value); limiting city and units spread in size and quantity; assigning city names to distant disctricts, or province names to cities. These are all means by we can try to keep the big scale of things (as from Civ5 on, the game instead is moving towards a small scale battlefield, such as Age of Empires).
    As last resort, I thought about resizing the map one or more times in a single game. It will require a complex algorithm, but if the editor allows to cover/uncover/change tiles at pleasure, it's theorically possible.

15. MAHRana

MAHRana Prince

Wow that's an idea! – centers of civilization start out magnified and then the focus shifts to Europe and Central America and balancing out in the end or something. How possible do you think that is though?

16. Craig_Sutter

Craig_Sutter Deity

I think a Rhyse of Europe (medieval) is certainly doable. Population sizes can be used to limit the number of districts. A simple xml entry likely gaverns the pop/district relationship.

17. qwerty25

qwerty25 Prince

Not rhye but as long as theres a map editor script it shouldnt be too hard to change the entire map to "zoom out" with the same number of tiles. (Theoretically of course).

The map can be seen as a 2d grid (well i think its actually implemented with 3 axes for the the offset) and just every 200 turns or whatever era you choose have it replace every tile on the map with another premade map tile.

The larger concern id say isnt the map itself but moving all the units, cities, wonders, and districts (if using them) to proper places.

Like if the island before "miniaturization" was 3 tiles but will be shrunk to 1 tile, what happens to 3 warriors on the tile? Same question for districts and wonders.

City pop would have to be rebalanced, and merged tiles would also have to consider which improvement to keep. Theres even the question of how large a merged tile would be: 3tiles or 7tiles?

Honestly, I think itd be way easier to use the uncover and cover method rhye stated.Just load a large map at the beginning. Then basically keep the map covered in fog of war and surrounding civs in a suspended state for a certain radius. Of course this doesnt really solve late game. Perhaps combat will just have to be simplified or streamlined better. And of course using all the other tricks rhye listed.

18. Prester John 2

Prester John 2 Chieftain

Apart from the possible problems with a TSL map I really like to see the mechanics which Rhye brought into the game: most important of all - stability, plus the way the congress worked (re-assigning cities), unique historical victories, mercenaries, etc. All this was also present in RAND and a Civ5 RAND wouldn't necessarily suffer from the map restrictions the proper RFC would face.

19. ariel552

ariel552 Chieftain

Yes I hope they launch a Rhye's and Fall of Civilization 6. or at least the world map. to play in earth is what makes history resamble reality.

20. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

anybody who's got Civ6 already, can they tell us how are modding tools?
    I wonder if it's possible to import Civ5 maps easily. In that case I have one world map ready.

Publicola likes this.