Willem the Oranje Clown

I like Williams early and middle era diplomacy music. I especially like the middle-era music because it reminds me of windmills and fields of Tulips.....
But I don't like Williams late era music. Yes, it does sound like circus music- I think a better way of putting it is "clown music"- and it gives me a mental image of silly clowns in big shoes walking down a street in a mardi gras. It is not very dignified....

Empire of furniture? :eek:

Surely you've heard of the great Ottoman Empire.
Known for furniture and... slaughtering innocents. Mainly known for the former. Very nice, 90% Armenian footrests.

I thought he was talking about the Ikea empire.

Tried that, suddenly got nuked to "Where Is My Mind?"

...Oh god that was a lame reference.

I don't really like the music either.

And another thing: why couldn't they give him a cool hat, like that Portugese guy?

Portugese hat = pimp.

You people are all insane. Never once did I think of clowns or circuses when talking to Willem. After reading this, on the other hand... Now you've ruined the man!

:p

:lol:

I don't have BtS myself yet, but from the reactions I have the idea the music is based on street organs (it does sound "circusy"). Does the music sound something like this:

http://www.museumspeelklok.nl/speelklok/ringtones/limonair.mp3
(yes, the melody is not Dutch ;) )
http://www.museumspeelklok.nl/speelklok/ringtones/heizmann.mp3

At the museum this link is of, they told me the Netherlands is one of the only (or the last) nation in (Western) Europe where street organs are still common in public. If you go to a market in the Netherlands (which is larger than 3 stands) there is often one of these.

I was already hoping that it would be the music for the Dutch in BtS. :D
You're right, street organs are still common over here.
The music of Willem the Oranje Clown reminds me of shopping on a sunny saturday afternoon. I'm amused by this choice, very typical, though I agree it's not very "threatening " but then again, that's also typically dutch ;)

I think he's the spitting image of the evil clown king (the insane one) from the fall from heaven mod, fall from heaven II. I was playing FFH prior to BtS coming out, and when I saw Willem's image, the insane clown imediately came to mind, lol!

All kidding aside, the Dutch are not to be trifled with!

:lol: I thought I was the only one :D

Willem's circus music is awesome! It's so cheerful and gold-saucer-like (from FF7)!

You did NOT just make a Golden Saucer reference!!!

I put that song on my MP3 player and go to the gym, and while im working out looking at all the pissed off roid dudes, I think to myself "these guys would just not be able to understand me listening to this music right now!"

STUCK IN MY HEAD NOW

Haha.. :lol: I couldn't agree more about Willem van Oranje's diplomatic music, but; I do have to admit that, the first time I heard it, it sounded awfully familiar.. It really is a typical Dutch tune..

I'm currently working on a small mod that'll give you either the 'Piet Heyn' march (very famous over here) and / or 'Het Wilhelmus' (the national anthem).. Still working on it, but I'll let you guys know when I'm finished with it.. (if you really want to replace it that is)

Are there so many clowns in the Nerthelands ? :p

(I always thought most of our world leaders were clowns anyway)

Well, I just finished the mod and I think it sounds pretty good.. I'm not too sure about the early music, but it definitely does sound somewhat threatening and also pretty barbaric (and it still sounds like 'Het Wilhelmus')..

Here's the description at the download:

Willem van Oranje's diplomatic music has provoked some mixed reactions. While people do seem to like the early and middle music, the late music (with it's carnavalesque sounds in the background) is a little bit too much on the funny side.. So, I decided to see if I could remedy that. I took the national anthem ('Het Wilhelmus') as a basis. The song was named after Willem van Oranje, it deals with his life and it was written around 1574, which is during his lifetime.. So this is all the more reason to use this song as the basis for his diplomusic..

The early theme has some drums, heavy brassworks and sounds quite threatening before turning into something endearing through the use of small, high pitched instruments.

The middle theme is the more stately theme, currently played whenever the Queen (and other members of the royal family) arrive somewhere. It's slightly slower than the other versions and definitely a very beautiful rendition.

The late theme is 'Het Wilhelmus' as performed by the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra (the Netherlands' most famous symphony orchestra). It was played during a concert that was donated to the Crown Prince Willem-Alexander and his then fiancee Maxima in honour of their upcoming marriage.

In order to install this small mod, copy the contents of the .zip file to the CivilizationIV\BeyondtheSword\Assets\Sounds\Diplom acy folder and replace the old files. (You can ofcourse also paste the .mp3's somewhere else to listen to them first)

Enjoy!

You can download the file here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=6285

Well, I just finished the mod and I think it sounds pretty good.. I'm not too sure about the early music, but it definitely does sound somewhat threatening and also pretty barbaric (and it still sounds like 'Het Wilhelmus')..

Here's the description at the download:

You can download the file here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=6285

Thank you! Even though I have no Dutch heritage in me whatsoever, unless you count William the Conqueror in that lineage...I love playing the Dutch, and this will help me stare down those Evil Scandinavian pigdogs with a straight face, lol!

Top Bottom