William Walker and the Republic of Sonora

CoffeeShopFrank

Warlord
A tiny country of one-two million people? Probably not much. Might become an American State but I doubt it would affect the OTL in the grand scheme of things.

A tiny country of one-two million people? Probably not much. Might become an American State but I doubt it would affect the OTL in the grand scheme of things.

Hey, hey. Don't forget your motherland!

It seems unlikely that Mexico would not have reclaimed the land. I doubt that Sonora could have survived as an independent country without a lot of help from the US which is possible. I don’t think that the US would have been very interested in annexing it as a new territory as the Mexican Cession had already accelerated the slavery issue and this would have only added fuel to the fire. By the way, have any of you ever seen that awful movie about Walker? Why can’t Hollywood simply tell the story of a fascinating individual or incident and keep it straight?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walker_(film)

Didn't he go to Nicaragua too? When I went there I read something about it in my travel guide, he was the reason why most of the historic buildings there only date from the 19th century or at least had been rebuilt then.

Walker didn´t control anything other than a few towns that he and his tiny group of mercenaries occupied. I doubt he could find an army to control such a huge area much less an army that could match Mexico militarily. At least in Nicaragua he was legally considered the president even if no one wanted him there. Why would the local Mexicans accept him?

So assuming for whatever reason Mexico didn´t stop him:

The Mexican Empire and France would have dealt with him later.

Ultimately the US would certainly have gotten rid of him and his government during or after the civil war and returned the area to the Juarez government. End of story pretty much.

Top Bottom