Win Rate Data - Please post your games' results here!

More people die during the descent of Mt Everest than during the ascent, so no, getting down isn't easy.

Okay, my metaphor was invalid, but the concept is still sound! :)

Also, whoward, I got a good chuckle out of your naming convention for the 'silence diplomacy' stuff in the v67-68 of your VMC DLL.
G

Yeah, what Gazebo said. I also kind of sense some ego thing going on a bit.

Let me make this clear:

"Walk in the Park" is a difficulty for those games in which you felt you always easily had the upper hand, and victory was swift and unfun. Sure maybe right in the beginning things weren't as golden but overall the game was depressingly easy.

If the game was "challenging then walk in the park" then that just means you overcame the challenge. The exception for this is if the late game was so overwhelmingly easy that you feel something was off about it.

I can't fit this into the format, but playing on settler I've lost a few games as the Shoshone and one as the Aztecs so far. Before I left for a while I was winning easily on Chieftain, consistently on Warlord, and occasionally even on Prince. I guess I have rather a lot of relearning the mod to do. I can't say who did win as I opted to start a new game when it became clear that I was losing.

Edit: This thread is a bit disheartening to head. Something I've noticed not just here, but in most any modding community is that most people involved tend to be quite good at the game in question. I imagine that's for no other reason than a dedicated site like this or twcenter or something being more likely to attract people who are particularly dedicated to the game / series in question. As opposed to people like me who suck at them. I'm worried that this might skew how mods are developed, since most of the input is from skilled players saying things are too easy. They aren't. You're just really good.

This thread is a bit disheartening to head. Something I've noticed not just here, but in most any modding community is that most people involved tend to be quite good at the game in question. I imagine that's for no other reason than a dedicated site like this or twcenter or something being more likely to attract people who are particularly dedicated to the game / series in question. As opposed to people like me who suck at them. I'm worried that this might skew how mods are developed, since most of the input is from skilled players saying things are too easy. They aren't. You're just really good.

Hmm, probably yes and no. Yes, I think the more vocal people have more experience with the game, but no, I don't think that represents the populace. Either way, while this thread may have "I smashed that dude hard LOLOLOL", if you notice the progressive releases, the game is very balanced.

When things are "too hard", all that might do is nerf an overpowered civ. That benefits you, the less experienced player, because now your AI opponent won't be as nasty. The other half of balance is buffing, but that benefits you because you can play as that civ and be better off than before, or play against them on better footing. If you play on a lower difficulty, you want your opponents at a set difficulty; if they're too weak, that throws off your game ("oh, I'm doing great, I... wtf that Civ smashed me out of nowhere!"). If they're too overpowered for that difficulty, that's also bad.

Balance benefits everyone, yes. Really I'm more concerned with changes in overall game difficulty being made with highly skilled players in mind at the expense of poor players like myself. The bit I just responded to in the July 15th patch thread, if accurate, would be a perfect example of exactly that.

I can't fit this into the format, but playing on settler I've lost a few games as the Shoshone and one as the Aztecs so far. Before I left for a while I was winning easily on Chieftain, consistently on Warlord, and occasionally even on Prince. I guess I have rather a lot of relearning the mod to do. I can't say who did win as I opted to start a new game when it became clear that I was losing.

Edit: This thread is a bit disheartening to head. Something I've noticed not just here, but in most any modding community is that most people involved tend to be quite good at the game in question. I imagine that's for no other reason than a dedicated site like this or twcenter or something being more likely to attract people who are particularly dedicated to the game / series in question. As opposed to people like me who suck at them. I'm worried that this might skew how mods are developed, since most of the input is from skilled players saying things are too easy. They aren't. You're just really good.

No offence. I barely play. Still, I would suppose only newbies would find settler level difficult. One who doesn't understand how things work. Perhaps you should turn on the help tooltip?

Well, before I left several months ago I would generally play on warlord. I'd drop down to chieftain for a more casual game, or go up to prince for a major challenge. It's only coming back now that I've been unable to win even on settler...which I guess makes sense if settler was really changed to be equivalent to what prince was before.

It's worth pointing out, to my previous surprise as well, the difficulty levels now have changed and Chieftain is actually the new Prince, making Settler the new Warlord.

Also the CP is inherently more difficult because of AI improvements.

And Llednar Twem, don't be disheartened, the CBP makes a lot of changes and a big deal of the difficutly you're suffering is simply an initial shock of knowledge. For example did you know that farms produce more food the more farms are around them? Making lots of farms is one of the key strategies in CBP.

Yeah, that had been around for a while before I left. I remember it caused a discussion about the interaction with terrace farms and poldors, and then THAT lead to a discussion on how UIs in general should be adjusted in light of the fact that they now had the downside of breaking up farm fields.

I HAVE played this mod a great deal, even made several suggestions here that wound up incorporated into the mod. It's just been a long time since I left. I think the last thing I remember was the corporations idea beginning to be formed. I think I left before it was extensively implemented though.

VERSION 11/17 : standard size, speed, 10 players/20 city states ,immortal (usual difficulty), communitas

CIV: Egypt
VICTORY TYPE: Cultural
Sadly it was a walk in the park

4 cities tradition, they didn't grow much... By The End they was around 25 in The beginning of modern era
I had so much cpt that i was familiar or even popolar with nearly everyone without producing any tpt. I was 1st in science and when i hit archeology i took something like 20 antiquity sites.
I hit ideology in industrial and took 6 FL from freedom and destroyed siam, The Cultural runaway CIV with just them.

I built like 16 wonders and more than halo The world followed my religion and ideology so i had the power in The WC too

IT Made me feel Egypt has a starting production too high and my capital had both marble and stone and even with a really weak UU and not so good UB they were a bit OP

I read somewhere that the difficulty levels in the CBP are somewhat different than Vanilla. For example in the base game, I easily win on Emperor, and will win on Immortal under the right circumstances and if I focus.

What is Emperor in the CBP? I played a large island map as England the other day, Emperor. At one point, Poland's science output was 212 to my 61! The game seems a lot harder. I hadn't played in a while but still.

I read somewhere that the difficulty levels in the CBP are somewhat different than Vanilla. For example in the base game, I easily win on Emperor, and will win on Immortal under the right circumstances and if I focus.

What is Emperor in the CBP? I played a large island map as England the other day, Emperor. At one point, Poland's science output was 212 to my 61! The game seems a lot harder. I hadn't played in a while but still.

There aren't any exact conversions, either start low and increase until you feel properly challenged or start where you are and keep lowering the difficulty.

Version 11/5, huge, Marathon, Immortal (Compatible), Inland sea, Aztecs, Conquest win.

That was brutal. I decided quickly I wanted to have apillage economy, so I picked Authorithy, and some religious perks which gave even more loot.
So I was conquering every city in sight, and lived off that. However, I had to burn most of them, and this version still had full partisans (hence my thread). Was fun untill industrial, very tedious after that.
So I had to keep more cities than I should, and my happines plummeted. Ok, I raced to Ideology, and was the first (well, the first one still alive) to get one. For my efforts I was rewarded with 84 war weariness out of the blue. That put me below 150 unhappiness, with no way to ever get out of it.
So the last 20-30 points were just a matter of closing my eyes and pushing for the final Capitols. I didn`t care about the spawned rebels, they would just disappear. My economy was out, but I got most from conquering/killing anyway.
Strange and gruelling game.

Next:
Version 11/5, huge, Marathon, Immortal (Compatible), Ice Age, Portugal, Defeat.

Here I met the Mother of all runaway civs. By Rennaisance (well, he was, no one else was close) Augustus had 6 capitols already (on a water map!).
But it didn`t even matter, because he was only 75 turns (Marathon, mind you) away from a culture victory anaway.
On top of that his religion totally dominated also. He had reformated before some of the other civs even had a Pantheon. It was beyond awesome. He was like 4 levels above us others.

Civilization - Egypt

Victory Type - Probly a science victory, maybe culture

Relative Rank - Compatible

Outcome - Defeat. Inca was probably the one due for victory

Additional Info - Inca got a massive lead on tech/culture/tourism through his religion- even with the world science initiative passed no other civ got within 10 techs of him, and he took every wonder. by the time ideologies were founded i picked 3rd (all different choices) however one by one every other civ in the game switched to Inca's ideology due to pressure or just adopted it outright when they could. with a -180 diplo modifier against me, it wasn't long before during a war i was already in with a neighbor that the top 3 other civs in the game DoW me on the same turn- they were all following the Incas ideology. I guess i should have switched too, my overall relations with them were otherwise in good standing =(

Civilization - The Ottomans
Map: Hemispheres
Victory Type - :c5science: Science
Relative Rank - Compatible
Outcome - Challenge
Additional Info - One of the few times i've played the Ottomans, and I really enjoyed it. The UB was very helpful, especially since most of the game I was fighting a two-front war against Rome and Byzantium and the artillery boost helped me push back, even though I was behind in tech. At one point, I thought I was going to lose, after Rome took one of my core cities, but I managed to push back and after a long war take a couple of his cities to boost my science/score. I think I will try new civilizations more from now on :)

Civilization: Ottomans
Victory: :c5science: Science
Relative Rank: Compatible (immortal)
Outcome: Walk in the Park

Ottomans are amazing if you have a start with few furs, as the free caravansery building will give you great early production and gold. Combine that with their UA, and I had enough room to grab wonders I normally wouldn't build starting from the classic era. The fur start also gives you an easy religion if you get the related pantheon.

I went wide by founding 10 cities by late-medieval, and once I got janissaries and cannons (boosted by siege foundry), I easily stomped over my nearest 2 neighbours to have an unshakeable lead in every category by late-renaissance.

Civilization: Rome
Victory: Domination
Relative Rank: Easier (prince)
Outcome: Walk in the Park

Economically and in infrastructure the AI was doing really well, but what made the conquest EXTREMELY easy was that the AI didn't build defensive structures in most its cities (mostly only the capital had them), so they had lots of cities with 15-20 defense in the modern era, which fell in 2-3 attacks.

Civilization: Portugal
Victory: Science
Relative rank: Compatible (Immortal)
Outcome: Victory
Map: Ice age

Quite straightforward game. I generated some elbow space on my island (Washington is the worst neighbour!), then went straight to space. A few AIs kept up though, especially Alex did a fine job at shooting for a diplo win.

Thanks Der Zorn, but on the outcome part, could you please choose one of the following:

Outcome - Choose one:

Walk in the Park: Game was not challenging at all and you stomped the adversaries.

Challenge: Game was fair and challenging.

Moral Defeat: Game was only won because of some flaw in the AI or game balance. This includes winning by savescumming or exploit.

Defeat: You lost and accepted the defeat. (In case of games ending with an AI civ winning, PLEASE POST WHICH CIV WON, in this case the victory type should be the winning civ's)​
It helps define how easy/hard your victory was.

Top Bottom