Windows 10

I think that Microsoft can't count.

Ugh. "Microsoft is also taking a "mobile first, cloud first" approach. So, presumably, your information will sync with Microsoft's OneDrive so it's the same across every Windows gadget you own."

I do not want that. :( Here's hoping cloud storage isn't mandatory.

Don't worry, MS is catering to people who don't like change: http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/30/6874413/windows-10-whats-old-is-new-again

But what we saw today in San Francisco worries me, and it should worry anyone who wants Microsoft to succeed long term. This looks like a Microsoft that is unwilling to try things, one either without good ideas or without the confidence to commit to the good ideas it's already had. Windows 8 was an attempt to reinvent the way we use our most important and most personal devices, but now Microsoft doesn't even seem to be trying.

OneDrive is going to be integrated, but it's never synced "your information" willy-nilly. It syncs stuff (i.e. wallpaper, keyboard settings, etc. that you select to sync), and files that you place in the OneDrive folder.

Every modern OS with >1% market share includes cloud storage/syncing of some sort.

They better put in a way to deactivate OneDrive. Especially if the US government succeeds in crippling their online business outside of the US. Otherwise enterprises and other big institutions are not going to like it at all. And if they manage to lose those as customers, Microsoft is dead.

Windows 7 isn't 100 times better or amazing and faster, etc. than Vista.

Yeah they really fixed Vista up pretty well. I went from XP to Win7 though, which was ~100 times better for sure! (Win7 that is, not XP. I don't miss XP at all).

So far I don't see anything bad about Win10, but there also isn't really any information. Some of it seems pretty useful if you use multiple windows devices, but that will never be of any use to me and I couldn't care less about OneDrive, although extra back ups can't hurt.

My opinion: Windows 10 looks interesting - but I'm in no big hurry to upgrade.

Eh? Enterprises and other big institutions tend to love OneDrive for Business. You can run it either off MS-hosted cloud or on self-hosted Sharepoint.

Could you name a few? I'm not familiar with any (none that are PCI-compliant, anyway) that are embracing any skydrive technology. Generally multisite DFS shares are what are underpinning Sharepoint, from what I've seen so far.

And I might try Win9, but really Win8 got me to fire up Linux and try it out. This post is being typed on a Mint-12 LXDE system, and I doubt 9 will stop my Linux migrations. Lots of servers at work have been getting replaced with CentOS boxes rather than upgrading to Server2012, too. :mischief:

Could you name a few? I'm not familiar with any (none that are PCI-compliant, anyway) that are embracing any skydrive technology. Generally multisite DFS shares are what are underpinning Sharepoint, from what I've seen so far.

https://office.microsoft.com/en-us/...-stories-office-testimonials-FX103045622.aspx

Filter by business size/industry if you like. That includes companies using Office 365 without OneDrivefB but excludes companies using OneDrivefB without Office 365.

OneDrivefB isn't really "skydrive technology", it's just Sharepoint which happens to share the same name. (Like outlook.com vs outlook web app in office 365 which is there to access the Exchange backend)

Slightly off-topic: Why did Microsoft change the name to OneDrive anyways? I thought SkyDrive sounded nicer.

Eh? Enterprises and other big institutions tend to love OneDrive for Business. You can run it either off MS-hosted cloud or on self-hosted Sharepoint.

You cannot deploy it in a heterogeneous environment, because it is too Microsoft-centric. And any organisation not deploying it, must do anything to prevent their users from touching it.

The IT department at my work cites cloud integration as the main reason for not giving out any Windows 8 licenses.

You cannot deploy it in a heterogeneous environment, because it is too Microsoft-centric.

Okay? That doesn't stop the overwhelming majority of large enterprises from using Microsoft products. (78% of Fortune 500 companies using Sharepoint) Of MS/Google/Apple, MS has by far the most comprehensive cross-platform support across Windows/iOS/Mac OS/Android.

And any organisation not deploying it, must do anything to prevent their users from touching it.

I don't think you're thinking of the same thing. Users can't touch Sharepoint without a supporting organization installation/subscription.

The IT department at my work cites cloud integration as the main reason for not giving out any Windows 8 licenses.

The IT department at your work sound like they're either dumb, or liers. There's no cloud integration in Windows 8 which is even relevant in an enterprise environment. Cloud integration is tied to your Microsoft account when you sign in to Windows... which you're not using in an enterprise environment, you're using a company-provided domain account.

Seriously, OneDrive "integration" in the Enterprise ranges from either being a non-issue (if you're talking about consumer OneDrive and/or your company has no interest in either Sharepoint or Office 365) or a big plus (if you're talking about OneDrive for Business and your company uses Sharepoint or Office 365). "Integration" in quotes because there's no actual OneDrive for Business integration, you need to install the client.

Okay? That doesn't stop the overwhelming majority of large enterprises from using Microsoft products. (78% of Fortune 500 companies using Sharepoint) Of MS/Google/Apple, MS has by far the most comprehensive cross-platform support across Windows/iOS/Mac OS/Android.

They have little to no Unix/Linux support. That is a big hindrance if the environment has to support high performance computing.

I don't think you're thinking of the same thing. Users can't touch Sharepoint without a supporting organization installation/subscription.

I didn't mean Sharepoint, but the cloud. Users (accidentally) putting company data on the cloud would be a big problem.

The IT department at your work sound like they're either dumb, or liers. There's no cloud integration in Windows 8 which is even relevant in an enterprise environment. Cloud integration is tied to your Microsoft account when you sign in to Windows... which you're not using in an enterprise environment, you're using a company-provided domain account.

No I am not, because the Windows support for the company-provided accounts is incompatible and third-party software is poorly supported. And any user using any kind of Microsoft account might be a legal liability risk.

They have little to no Unix/Linux support. That is a big hindrance if the environment has to support high performance computing.

Sure, but that's no different than it's ever been. MS has never supported Linux (well, discounting the Azure stuff).

I didn't mean Sharepoint, but the cloud. Users (accidentally) putting company data on the cloud would be a big problem.

Yes, that's why you can self-host Sharepoint.

Otherwise OneDrive works roughly the same as Dropbox, Google Drive, icloud, etc.

No I am not, because the Windows support for the company-provided accounts is incompatible and third-party software is poorly supported. And any user using any kind of Microsoft account might be a legal liability risk.

I don't know what you're saying or how it's relevant to Windows 8 but not Windows 7.

There's no mechanism to prevent users from using Dropbox that doesn't prevent users from using OneDrive as well.

Who changed the topic title?

Top Bottom