Windows 10

So what's the problem?

I mean, Google Drive is basically being force-fed to Android/Chrome OS users, iMessage is being force-fed to iOS users, etc.

Well that's the thing, all those platforms you mention have pretty much been locked down from the get-go whereas historically Windows is more open.

And at the end of the day, hardly force feeding. :lol:

Yeah, I could have better phrased that I believe. I'll leave it at "MS using root level integration + loss leader amounts of storage to seduce it's users into using OneDrive and abandoning competing services".

Well that's the thing, all those platforms you mention have pretty much been locked down from the get-go whereas historically Windows is more open.

Yeah, I could have better phrased that I believe. I'll leave it at "MS using root level integration + loss leader amounts of storage to seduce it's users into using OneDrive and abandoning competing services".

So Microsoft are selling a product that works seamlessly with Windows for much less than any of their competitors. Where's the problem?

It's not even much less than their competitors, it various between comparable to dramatically more expensive:

OneDrive monthly rates for 100GB: $8.49
Google Drive 100GB: $1.99
DropBox 100GB: $9.99
Box: $10
Wuala: $12
SpiderOak: $10
Apple (50GB, 100GB not available): $8.33

I mean, Google essentially operates every product or service offered of their business other than advertising at break-even or a loss.

I am liking the preview of the new start menu. The option to get rid of the Live Tiles and Metro should be great.

The right move for desktop users would be to replace the start menu/screen with something like Quicksilver that's impossible to use with the mouse to force desktop users to use the vastly more efficient keyboard.

What they're actually doing is just pandering to Windows 7 users who never upgraded or media members on Mac OS who'd never use Windows anyway.

Regardless, it's a move in the right direction for desktop users.

hear hear! anyone who says touchscreens with their lagged input and various issues is an "upgrade" to "old" methods of input, like mouse and keyboard, is just trolling or shilling for microsoft. should put 'em all in an ignore list.

The right move for desktop users would be to replace the start menu/screen with something like Quicksilver that's impossible to use with the mouse to force desktop users to use the vastly more efficient keyboard.
Using a machine is not always an efficiency contest. Sometimes I just lean back and chillax while doing stuff on the computer.
Using the keyboard would require me to interrupt my position of relaxation.

I don't like being interrupted when I am relaxing.

The right move for desktop users would be to replace the start menu/screen with something like Quicksilver that's impossible to use with the mouse to force desktop users to use the vastly more efficient keyboard..

that's a lazy half-measure. Following that line of thought, they should ditch inefficient mouse-driven interfaces altogether, and learn to love minimalist window managers.

What they're actually doing is just pandering to Windows 7 users who never upgraded or media members on Mac OS who'd never use Windows anyway.

They are doing the right thing for desktop users. The start menu is an iconic feature of Windows and taking it out was one of the biggest mistakes Microsoft made if not the biggest.

They are doing the right thing for desktop users. The start menu is an iconic feature of Windows and taking it out was one of the biggest mistakes Microsoft made if not the biggest.

progman was an iconic feature of Windows. I'm sure if enough people had refused to upgrade to Vista, despite never actually using the start menu, because of the lack of progman, MS would have put it back into Win7.

progman was an iconic feature of Windows. I'm sure if enough people had refused to upgrade to Vista, despite never actually using the start menu, because of the lack of progman, MS would have put it back into Win7.

Well if there is enough of a demand something can be brought back. The start menu is back by popular demand.

that's a lazy half-measure. Following that line of thought, they should ditch inefficient mouse-driven interfaces altogether, and learn to love minimalist window managers.

Why doesn't Microsoft just bring back Xenix? It's based on Unix, so it's stable, has a good command-line, and ought to be nice and efficient if they make a few improvements to it. According to Bill Gates it was the highest-volume AT&T-based Unix for a long time, so it definitely has potential.

Or if that's too much of a compatibility issue, just replace the start menu/task bar/start screen with a Bash-like command prompt that runs on the Unix subsystem of NT. You could still start all your GUI programs like Civilization and Minesweeper from the command prompt, just like typing "write" in a Run prompt starts Word Pad today. But for productivity tasks, it'd be a huge step forward. Sure, the Unix NT layer might need some polished since it hasn't been fully integrated since Win2K or so. But all the savings on the front-end of today's Windows would free up more than enough resources to have it ready within a couple years.

:sarcasm: <-- although a better command prompt would be nice

Does the Windows 3.11 version of program still work on 32-bit Windows 8.1? If so, then Microsoft would've had no reason to put it back in 7. Who knows, maybe there's someone out there today still using Program Manager on their Windows 8.1 install.

I know it was still mostly functional on XP 32-bit (besides some Y2K compatibility issues that it exhibits on 3.11 these days as well), so it might work on Windows 6.x 32-bit, too. I may have to try this on the Windows 9 preview.

Even if the 3.11 version doesn't work so great, the NT 3.51 version might work, and if they updated it at all for 95 (which I can't remember if they did, or if the included progman was the same as the 3.11 version), the 95 version might work.

PowerShell v4 is actually very good, biggest downside is that scripting weenies aren't familiar with it, and don't use in the first place.

Progman still works in 32-bit Win8. I think we'll soon be seeing the end of 32-bit OS availability from MS though. Server 2012 and 2012 R2 are already 64-bit only, desktop Windows will be next, and then RT/Phone.

Top Bottom