Windows 7: "You cannot run multiple instances of this application at the same time"

threelibras

Chieftain
Hi there, this is my first post on the forums, and I'm completely new to Civ to boot.

I just installed the Civilization 4 complete bundle, which I bought from GameStop. There was a hitch with installation, missing 2 DLL files (msvcr, msvcp), which I resolved by simply downloading from some shady DLL site.

I can get Civ up and running, but whenever I try to run the Tutorial, or load a Mod, when Civ tries to restart, I'm prompted by a Windows message: "You cannot run multiple instances of this application at the same time" -- and the restart fails. I.e. I never get to play the Tutorial or Mod! I suspect Civ is trying to reinitialize before it has completely uninitialized.

I've tried running Civ under different compatibility modes, as well as an administrator, but these don't seem to solve the problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks much

Stew

Hi there, this is my first post on the forums, and I'm completely new to Civ to boot.

I just installed the Civilization 4 complete bundle, which I bought from GameStop. There was a hitch with installation, missing 2 DLL files (msvcr, msvcp), which I resolved by simply downloading from some shady DLL site.

I can get Civ up and running, but whenever I try to run the Tutorial, or load a Mod, when Civ tries to restart, I'm prompted by a Windows message: "You cannot run multiple instances of this application at the same time" -- and the restart fails. I.e. I never get to play the Tutorial or Mod! I suspect Civ is trying to reinitialize before it has completely uninitialized.

I've tried running Civ under different compatibility modes, as well as an administrator, but these don't seem to solve the problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks much

Stew

Same problem here, bought from gamestop - running windows 7 - cannot run tutorial.

I'm having the same problem, but I don't know what Run Civilization4.exe mod="Tutorial" from the directory it is installed in actually means. There is a .exe for Civ4 and there's another for BTS, but there are none followed by mod="tutorial" or such within the file name. It seems like this guy wants me to look inside the folder and click on something that doesn't even exist. What is he talking about?

he wants you to open the shortcut that starts the game and add mod="tutorial" after the .exe in the target line. You can open the shortcut by right clicking on it and clicking on properties.

I'm having the exact same problem running mods and scenarios. I keep getting the error message about running multiple instances for all the mods except Charlemange. I've tried to change the shortcut's pathway to mods="Crossroads of the World" in various ways, but haven't had any luck.

Has anyone found a solution to this? I really want to play these mods and scenarios...

Top Bottom