Windows is out of memory issue

Duel

Chieftain
Have tried Googling and searching here for this issue, but didn't find anyone else experiencing this issue.

Shortly after beginning to play Civ 5, I get a warning message telling me that Windows is running out of memory and I should shut down Civ 5. But I have 6GB of RAM and not running anything else of note. Using Logitech Performance Monitor on the LCD screen of my G15 keyboard it says that I am only using 49% of my RAM when this happens. If I Alt-Tab out and check CoreTemp for the same information it is the same number.

After a little while of me choosing to ignore it the game completely freezes up.

I've validated the integrity of the game cache and defragmentation is 0%.

None of my other games/programmes have any problems like this. I have an i7 920 and 2 GTX 480s so my system is very much op to spec. OS is Windows 7.

Just to add that previously I was using DirectX 11. Been using DirectX 9 since my last post. Still getting the low memory warning but so far it hasn't crashed. Not happy to use DX9 in the long term, but will do for now.

Am going to reinstall Windows in a few days, hopefully that will fix it.

Just finished playing...damn Civ for still being addictive as ever! :mad: ;)

Can confirm that although giving error messages, DX9 mode plays OK.

Have tried Googling and searching here for this issue, but didn't find anyone else experiencing this issue.

Shortly after beginning to play Civ 5, I get a warning message telling me that Windows is running out of memory and I should shut down Civ 5. But I have 6GB of RAM and not running anything else of note. Using Logitech Performance Monitor on the LCD screen of my G15 keyboard it says that I am only using 49% of my RAM when this happens. If I Alt-Tab out and check CoreTemp for the same information it is the same number.

After a little while of me choosing to ignore it the game completely freezes up.

I've validated the integrity of the game cache and defragmentation is 0%.

None of my other games/programmes have any problems like this. I have an i7 920 and 2 GTX 480s so my system is very much op to spec. OS is Windows 7.

Have you disabled your page file or have it set very low? I did an experiment where I disabled my page file and got the same error. I normally have it set to a minimum of 1024MB and never had such an error before I disabled page file.

As the previous poster said, most likely it's virtual memory that is the issue at hand. In a best case scenario, your paging file should be equal to your physical memory, so that the OS can move the objects around. At 6GB of physical, you can probably set it to 4GB and be safe.

With that much ram or if you have an SSD you can technically turn off your page file. Only sad thing is some games or programs require you to have one. But yeah that's a great place to start. What is it set to, make it bigger if it's low.

Top Bottom