[GS] Future Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@bite perhaps if or when Civ VI is complete you could entice Ed Beach to do an email interview and write a follow up article about the inside perspective on the leader poster. And perhaps we could resolve whether Isabel was intended to be a base game alt-leader or a DLC and why was she dropped?

Reasonably certain it was because she was supposed to be Isabella of Castile but her artwork was accidentally based off of Isabella of Portugal.

Not the first time that’s happened either, like when Gustavus Adolphus in Civ5 was actually Erik XIV.

Reasonably certain it was because she was supposed to be Isabella of Castile but her artwork was accidentally based off of Isabella of Portugal.

Not the first time that’s happened either, like when Gustavus Adolphus in Civ5 was actually Erik XIV.

I agree that the portrait was accidentally the wrong Isabella. But I was wondering what the original intention was. Base game alt-leader? DLC? And what caused her to be cut?

I agree that the portrait was accidentally the wrong Isabella. But I was wondering what the original intention was. Base game alt-leader? DLC? And what caused her to be cut?

Based on her position, I think she was probably base game alt leader. When she didn’t come out with everything else, we all thought she might end up as DLC.

Who knows if they’ll ever find a use for those lost assets.

I think it would be curious if Spain acquired two leaders so soon, my guess is that in the choices of leaders, they had not yet decided whether Spain would be led by Philip or Isabella, so they put both in the portraits.

What makes that any more curious than Greece having 2 leaders?

Having both Philip and Isabella seems odd to me, given that you would expect both to be quite religious and exploration-flavoured. That said, I've always found Philip/Spain quite weak: all your shiny things depend on getting a religion but there is nothing in your toolkit to help you actually get one.

I think it would be curious if Spain acquired two leaders so soon, my guess is that in the choices of leaders, they had not yet decided whether Spain would be led by Philip or Isabella, so they put both in the portraits.

Given how final all those pictures ended up being, I'm more inclined to believe it was originally in vanilla or DLC and it was a late decision to remove her (perhaps the decision was between Isabella or Gorgo).

Edit: Or rather, between having Greece or Spain as the Civ with two leaders.

I think the decision to move her to DLC was made late in production too.
The fact the Winged Hussars are in the intro cinematic of the base game I think supports this.

I've been lurking this thread for a week or so now and only just discovered today that I actually have an account here!

As much as I'd absolutely love for a third xpac to show up (Civ spoiler season is one of my favourites), I've kinda' lost all hope of it showing up at the usual time at this point. I loved the idea of the Carnival theory, but unless Firaxis just drop a trailer/livestream tomorrow completely out of the blue, methinks it's toast.

I'm still 100% confident that a third xpac will happen though what with the leaker for Gathering Storm claiming so, but it seems like it's going to be released at a different time compared to the previous two.

I'm not completely giving up until this time tomorrow though! o /

I've been lurking this thread for a week or so now and only just discovered today that I actually have an account here!

As much as I'd absolutely love for a third xpac to show up (Civ spoiler season is one of my favourites), I've kinda' lost all hope of it showing up at the usual time at this point. I loved the idea of the Carnival theory, but unless Firaxis just drop a trailer/livestream tomorrow completely out of the blue, methinks it's toast.

I'm still 100% confident that a third xpac will happen though what with the leaker for Gathering Storm claiming so, but it seems like it's going to be released at a different time compared to the previous two.

I'm not completely giving up until this time tomorrow though! o /

Hi Zwei. Sorry that I didn't go through the whole thread - but could you tell me who is the "leaker for Gathering Storm" and what he/she claimed to be? Thanks!

Hi Zwei. Sorry that I didn't go through the whole thread - but could you tell me who is the "leaker for Gathering Storm" and what he/she claimed to be? Thanks!
A guy called Assembling Typhoon (or so), who managed to leak all Civs and major features of the Gathering Storm before its announcement, said that he finds a third expansion highly probable.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/members/assemblingtyphoon.313294/

This (since banned) user listed all of the civs, leaders, and major features of Gathering Storm a full two months before Firaxis announced it. They also claimed that a third expansion will happen, and listed a handful of civs that will be in it. The fact that they knew everything about Gathering Storm means that they must've been an employee at Firaxis or something at some point. Regardless, I have absolutely no reason to doubt their third xpac claim as a result of this, which is why I fully expect it to happen, even if we have no idea when that might be.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/members/assemblingtyphoon.313294/

This (since banned) user listed all of the civs, leaders, and major features of Gathering Storm a full two months before Firaxis announced it. They also claimed that a third expansion will happen, and listed a handful of civs that will be in it. The fact that they knew everything about Gathering Storm means that they must've been an employee at Firaxis or something at some point. Regardless, I have absolutely no reason to doubt their third xpac claim as a result of this, which is why I fully expect it to happen, even if we have no idea when that might be.

Ahh - yes! I remember this guy! Thanks for bringing it up Zwei and KimiImaro!

Well, I’m disappointed we have no news of an expansion.

Points well rehearsed, but FXS have clearly planned something like a 3XP - GS leader’s comments, gaps in the HoF, key missing Civs, missing units (Trebuchet) and buildings (Court House, Hospital) and wonders (Zeus), and a few mechanics not carried over from Civ5 that you’d expected would be ported (tourism = cultural / ideological pressure). Reddit mentioned someone’s CV online referred to three expansions too, but I can’t find the source so maybe they’re wrong.

GS sold well, so you’d think that bodes we’ll for a 3XP? Perhaps it’s just a question of timing? Maybe it’s so big, so good, FXS want more time to develop it? Maybe they’re worried about the total cost which might discourage new players, so will delay until everyone has bought base +2 and then bring out 3XP when peoples’ wallets have recovered? Maybe they want the expansion to come out on all platforms simultaneously and so that’s pushing things back? Maybe they’ve changed plans a little, and they’re breaking up the 3XP over multiple dlc?

Anyway. I’m past the point I’m going to keep checking for updates. It’ll be what it will be. And I’m happy to wait, although some news soon would be good even if the news is keep waiting.

[edit: clarity]

Last edited:
Well, I’m disappointed we have no news of an expansion.

Points well rehearsed, but they’ve clearly envisaged something like a 3XP - GS leader’s comments, gaps in the HoF, missing Civs, missing units and buildings, and a few mechanics not carried over from Civ5 that you’d expected would be ported. Reddit mentioned someone’s CV online mentioned three expansions too, but I can’t find the source so maybe they’re wrong.

GS sold well, so you’d think that bodes we’ll for a 3XP? Perhaps its just a question of timing? Maybe it’s so big, so good, they want more time to develop it? Maybe they’re worried about the total cost which might discourage new players, so delay until everyone has bought base +2 and then bring out 3XP when people’s wallets have recovered? Maybe they want the expansion to come out on all platforms simultaneously and so that’s pushing things back? Maybe they’ve changed plans a little, and they’re breaking up the 3XP over multiple dlc?

Anyway. I’m past the point I’m going to keep checking for updates. It’ll be what it will be. And I’m happy to wait, although some news soon would be good even if the news is keep waiting.
Gathering Storm has featured the largest amount of support by Firaxis for an iteration of Civ in recent history - we've had multiple significant patches that have each done truckloads for the game. It could simply be that the devs have a roadmap planned for Gathering Storm support that they're not at the end of yet and that they'd like to get through before moving on to one last expansion. This thread's titular Winter Update could still very well happen (although that wouldn't be on the same timeframe as an expansion of course), and could perhaps be the last thing in the way of the next xpac. Who knows.

... Well I'm sure Firaxis know but they won't tell us so waaah, T^T

In conclusion, 1) we don't know much of anything, nothing new at least, 2) some hope and dream for so much more and 3) some are definitely experiencing withdrawals for the lack of leaks that were present in the two previous iterations. This in turn is driving people mad or at least to some considerable level of anxiety or mild case of desperation.

What is the remedy? Don't expect anything and live in the moment. :D

Gathering Storm has featured the largest amount of support by Firaxis for an iteration of Civ in recent history - we've had multiple significant patches that have each done truckloads for the game. It could simply be that the devs have a roadmap planned for Gathering Storm support that they're not at the end of yet and that they'd like to get through before moving on to one last expansion. This thread's titular Winter Update could still very well happen (although that wouldn't be on the same timeframe as an expansion of course), and could perhaps be the last thing in the way of the next xpac. Who knows.

... Well I'm sure Firaxis know but they won't tell us so waaah, T^T

Not sure if the last sentence was meant to be rude, but I’ll assume not. But yes, I agree with a lot of that. We’ve had really great support this year - credit where credit is due. There are many reasons a 3XP could be delayed versus previous expansions or has been rethought, and that they’re still bedding down GS is one of those possibilities.

When I say I’m disappointed, what I mean is that there have been many hints at a third expansion, lots of chat about it including in the gaming press, and (IMO) there is clearly room for a third expansion (ie the game is in great shape, but really doesn’t feel “done” yet). Given all that... it’s a little frustrating not having news either way.

But I’m not really criticising FXS. They’re running their studio and business, and I have to assume they know what they’re doing. We’ll know when we know.

In the meantime, personally I don’t think it’s worth my time to keep checking in on a third expansion. It’s not ruled out - indeed, I think all the reasons for expecting one remain - but there’s just no sensible way to guess timing at this point.

In conclusion, 1) we don't know much of anything, nothing new at least, 2) some hope and dream for so much more and 3) some are definitely experiencing withdrawals for the lack of leaks that were present in the two previous iterations. This in turn is driving people mad or at least to some considerable level of anxiety or mild case of desperation.

What is the remedy? Don't expect anything and live in the moment. :D

Basically this. It’s a bit more than hopes and dreams - it’s still very likely a 3 xp was planned and that, even if that plan has changed, we’ll still get something more at some point. What’s unclear is what and when. I think can basically count on 7 more Civs and one more Alt Leader, some new wonders (inc. Zesus), and some new units (Trebuchet given it was in the RnF trailer). Other than that, it’s pure speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom