1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

WiP: Goody Hut article

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by .Shane., Sep 13, 2006.

1. namliaM

namliaM Deity

CS is not a religion tho...

2. PugFugly

PugFugly Chieftain

27 techs are marked with bGoodyTech=1 in CIV4TechInfos.xml.

Here is the list:

=====Ancient=====15=
    Fishing
    Hunting
    Mining
    Mysticism
    Agriculture
    Archery
    Priesthood
    The Wheel
    Masonry
    Pottery
    Animal Husbandry
    Sailing
    Bronze Working
    Writing
    Horseback Riding
    =====Classical======10=
    Literature
    Iron Working
    Mathematics
    Drama
    Monarchy
    Calendar
    Construction
    Compass
    Currency
    Metal Casting
    =====Medieval======1=
    Music
    =====Renaissance=====1=
    Astronomy

3. Coase

Coase Chieftain

Often, a goody hut will be closed off in some small branch of land that, due to your cultural borders, is inaccessable to the AI (Assuming you don't sign open borders agreements; even then, it's a low priority for them to explore.) It's a small tactic to simply wait for your cultural borders to expand to pop it; by the time this happens, you're more likely to be in the later stages and more likely to get Metal Casting, Music, etc. It doesn't happen often, but if given the opportunity can be surprisingly lucrative.

4. .Shane.

.Shane. Take it like a voter Retired Moderator

Thx for some of the comments and additional bits of information. I aim to update/edit the original post soon.

Quick question... I'm assuming that for tech pops, that you can't pop a tech that has a precursor that you need. Meaning.... If you lack hunting, you can't pop archery.

5. Roland Johansen

Roland Johansen Deity

I have never seen that and I've never heard anyone get a technology that had a precursor they hadn't researched yet. So I think that you can fairly assume that.

I wonder if you can get two technologies in one turn where one is a needed precursor for the other. The reason this situation might be different than the above described situation is that in technology trading it isn't possible to get a technology for which you just (in the same turn) acquired the precursor through trading.

6. VoiceOfUnreason

VoiceOfUnreason Deity

This is correct - the code checks for canResearch()

You can certainly do it when lightbulbing (using trades to change what tech a GP will research, or using two GP on the same turn), so I would be very surprised if hut pops worked differently.

7. 1889

1889 Mayor of H-Marker Lake

Nice work Shane, but strong barbarian shows only once at Noble so all those percentages should be out of 20.

Any idea how it selects the free tech? I once got a tech that I would have finished researching in 2 more turns.

8. cabert

cabert Big mouth

be happy you gained 2 turns :rolleyes:
    I once got a tech that i was going to finish this turn, and that i could have finished one turn earlier with a bit of micromanagement :wallbash:

9. blitzkrieg1980

blitzkrieg1980 Octobrist

I hardly ever get tech pops even with a scout. I don't play with barbs on and I've noticed a very similar outcome from scouts and warriors. I've had warriors pop techs, and I've had scouts pop weak gold and crappy maps (thanks for a map of the open sea, villagers :rolleyes:). Where is the "better" outcomes from scouts? Does this only apply when barbs are turned on?

10. cabert

cabert Big mouth

yes
    since better here means no hostiles, and in your game without barbs, warrior can also get no hostiles :mischief:

11. blitzkrieg1980

blitzkrieg1980 Octobrist

Okay. I was under the impression that better meant techs, higher gold output, decent maps, and the like. :sad: Poo.