[WIP] Indonesia Split (Community Project)

There's actually a new synonymous name with the Borobudur Ship, which was the Samudraraksa. Its not really its real name, since that one is probably lost to history, but Samudraraksa is the christened name of the replica in the 2000s and was sent to its original route and come back. I think the name fits better than the generic borobudur ship and was applicable to all ship of the same type.

Btw, putting it as a transport ship felt a bit underwhelmong tho. How about a regular warship with the ability to trade exotic goods? Or is that too OP?

Samudraraksa means guardian of ocean (pelindung samudra). As another alternative, I just googled more info on this ship in Indonesian, and found a recent research that claim the original name of this ship might be banawa, which is taken from Kambang Putih inscription. I'm not sure tho if it is really the name, since there's no more articles that also mention that name (yet).

Kambang Putih inscription said:
dwal pikupikulan, pitung pikul, banawa karwa tundan, samangkana kawnang ikang kambang putih wnang apadaganga wdi tali pahinga. nanya, dwalanya pahingani bhumi sri maharaja, wnang katemwananing adagang, kurakuri atutugana ri mangalu kampyak, (Brandes, 1913: 253).

Spoiler Translation :
If merchants coming from banawa with outriggers and using carrying pole, they are exempt from taxes in Kambang Putih harbor. They are allowed to trade fabric within the Great Empereror's boundaries and allowed to meet tortoiseshell merchant as far as mangalu kampyak

I don't know what mangalu kampyak means either, not elaborated in the research. Kambang Putih is what now coastal city of Tuban in East Java.

Also mentioned in the research, there were 2 types of Indonesian ship that time. Those with outriggers are called banawa and those without are called parahu. The latter develop into modern Indonesian word for ship : perahu.

Here's the research (in Indonesian, try to use G Translate):Kekeliruan Seputar Kapal Borobudur

Samudraraksa means guardian of ocean (pelindung samudra). As another alternative, I just googled more info on this ship in Indonesian, and found a recent research that claim the original name of this ship might be banawa, which is taken from Kambang Putih inscription. I'm not sure tho if it is really the name, since there's no more articles that also mention that name (yet)

I think the fact that an actual inscription had used the term Banawa to mention those ships are more than enough to cemented that name/term for the moment. The problem is now since the article had mentioned that most oceanfaring ships at the time didnt actually used outrigger, should the "Borobudur Ship" be replaced with something else? The afromentioned Parahu are a strong suggestion, but perhaps since its general term, would it better be suited to replaces a normal ship units? But the thought of outrigged ships are just too unique just to be neglected. :confused:

Hello! Was out for exam weeks so I can't log in.

Indeed, King William I. There's a lot of Indonesian history that are left unknown to the greater world compared to Majapahit and Srivijaya. I just found a good writing on Larantuka Kingdom, the only Catholic civilization/kingdom in Indonesia. You might be interested to read that~

kul, ships without outrigger are common worldwide, so I think it shouldn't be a unique unit. Banawa (or Borobudur Ship) can replace Cargo Ship instead of any military ship; with influence bonus for trading with city states OR gold/science/pressure bonus for trading with major city OR doubled food/production output from trading with local city.

Anyway, I think we should start narrowing on focus to the civilization. Should we start from Medang? Here's some artwork resource proposal from me:

Map (the left one. The right one is also Medang Kamulan kingdom but in another era - a theory said the center of kingdom relocated to east due to a volcano eruption)
Spoiler :

Symbol/Logo/Flag
Spoiler :
There's actually no surviving symbol / logo / flag of the kingdom. I'm proposing Gunungan, since this art is very Javanese and Medang is a Javanese kingdom. I think Gunungan also has something to do with Javanese mysticism but I haven't look up more on that.

This image probably can help illustrate how ordinary life was like in ancient Indonesia (not the Chinese or Arab merchant - it is meant to show Indonesia's multiculturalism):
Spoiler :

There's no surviving photograph or illustration of any Medang king either; so perhaps we could model one from a surviving statue depicting their king (at least how they dressed).
Spoiler :

I'm really happy to see someone working on an Indonesia split! I had been thinking about doing one to, but I have several other civs I'd like to do first so I'll just offer ideas and maybe some code if you need help and it's within my abilities. If we're going to start with Medang, I had the same idea with gain something from building religious buildings/wonders. I'm not exactly sure what yield would work best. As for the UB, I was thinking of a Vihara (a Buddhist monastery) since apparently some were built by the Medang Kingdom. But honestly, I think the Candi should slide over to Medang since they built so many of them, and Majapahit should get the Wayang as their UB since Wayang was invented by them.

Do you think we should includes other kingdom outside of Java for the sake of diversity, or should we focused on Java since most of the well documented and well known kingdom come from them?
I think it would be cool to includes at least 1 civilization per major island on Indonesia, but Im not really pushing it tho

For example, Medang andMajapahit from Java, Pasai from Sumatera, Kutai from Borneo, Makassar from Celebes, and Asmat from Irian. We can also includes modern Indonesia for the heck of it. But thats just a thought haha

Had an idea for Medang:

Medang Kingdom(Balitung)
UA: Monumental age
Farms contribute :c5production: production during religious building\wonder construction, and grant a sum of :c5gold: gold equal to their contribution for 3 turns after completing it. Religious buildings and wonders cost no maintenance and boost :c5greatperson: Great engineer generation in their city by 5%.

UB: Vihara
Replaces temple. Unlike it, grants +1 :c5greatperson: great engineer points. It will also grant 15% of the city's :c5faith: faith output as :c5culture: culture.

UU: Rakryan Kanuruhan
Replaces great engineer. May construct holy sites. Upon consuming, It will start a WLtKD in all cities for a time based on the amount of religious buildings present in them(max. 20 turns).

I'm really happy to see someone working on an Indonesia split! I had been thinking about doing one to, but I have several other civs I'd like to do first so I'll just offer ideas and maybe some code if you need help and it's within my abilities. If we're going to start with Medang, I had the same idea with gain something from building religious buildings/wonders. I'm not exactly sure what yield would work best. As for the UB, I was thinking of a Vihara (a Buddhist monastery) since apparently some were built by the Medang Kingdom. But honestly, I think the Candi should slide over to Medang since they built so many of them, and Majapahit should get the Wayang as their UB since Wayang was invented by them.

Fair point on the Candi. As for code, I'll send you a PM for a finalized design.

Hello! Was out for exam weeks so I can't log in.

Indeed, King William I. There's a lot of Indonesian history that are left unknown to the greater world compared to Majapahit and Srivijaya. I just found a good writing on Larantuka Kingdom, the only Catholic civilization/kingdom in Indonesia. You might be interested to read that~

kul, ships without outrigger are common worldwide, so I think it shouldn't be a unique unit. Banawa (or Borobudur Ship) can replace Cargo Ship instead of any military ship; with influence bonus for trading with city states OR gold/science/pressure bonus for trading with major city OR doubled food/production output from trading with local city.

Anyway, I think we should start narrowing on focus to the civilization. Should we start from Medang? Here's some artwork resource proposal from me:

Map (the left one. The right one is also Medang Kamulan kingdom but in another era - a theory said the center of kingdom relocated to east due to a volcano eruption)
Spoiler :

Symbol/Logo/Flag
Spoiler :
There's actually no surviving symbol / logo / flag of the kingdom. I'm proposing Gunungan, since this art is very Javanese and Medang is a Javanese kingdom. I think Gunungan also has something to do with Javanese mysticism but I haven't look up more on that.

This image probably can help illustrate how ordinary life was like in ancient Indonesia (not the Chinese or Arab merchant - it is meant to show Indonesia's multiculturalism):
Spoiler :

There's no surviving photograph or illustration of any Medang king either; so perhaps we could model one from a surviving statue depicting their king (at least how they dressed).
Spoiler :

Thanks for the reference!

Do you think we should includes other kingdom outside of Java for the sake of diversity, or should we focused on Java since most of the well documented and well known kingdom come from them?
I think it would be cool to includes at least 1 civilization per major island on Indonesia, but Im not really pushing it tho

For example, Medang andMajapahit from Java, Pasai from Sumatera, Kutai from Borneo, Makassar from Celebes, and Asmat from Irian. We can also includes modern Indonesia for the heck of it. But thats just a thought haha

I was really looking more at time period than location. Not to say I won't attempt all these at one point in the future, but the main split will be rather Java-centric.

Had an idea for Medang:

Medang Kingdom(Balitung)
UA: Monumental age
Farms contribute :c5production: production during religious building\wonder construction, and grant a sum of :c5gold: gold equal to their contribution for 3 turns after completing it. Religious buildings and wonders cost no maintenance and boost :c5greatperson: Great engineer generation in their city by 5%.

UB: Vihara
Replaces temple. Unlike it, grants +1 :c5greatperson: great engineer points. It will also grant 15% of the city's :c5faith: faith output as :c5culture: culture.

Replaces great engineer. May construct holy sites. Upon consuming, It will start a WLtKD in all cities for a time based on the amount of religious buildings present in them(max. 20 turns).

Good idea, I like the Engineer focus. How about this?:

Medang KingdomBalitung

UA The Great Builder/Monumental Age (Can't decide which one I like more
Religious buildings generate :c5greatperson: Great Engineer Points in the :c5capital: Capital. Receive a free :c5greatperson: Rakryan Kanuruhan upon building a religious wonder.

UU Rakryan Kanuruhan
Replaces Great Engineer May build holy site. Upon consumption, farms provide +1 :c5production: Production for a time based of number of religous buildings in the city that works them. (Max 15 turns)

UB Candi
Replaces Temple. Increases WLTKD in this city by 50%

Also here's a possible icon:

IMO it will be great if somebody could create Candi as Unique Improvement. It's far more appropriate because a city / administrative center is surrounded by a lot of of candis scattered in the perimeter of the city, instead of 1 city 1 Candi like the current in-game setting.

I like the logo, great job! Have you decided that color set already for Medang? I think you could remove the stick on the bottom if you'd like, it's just something to hold the Gunungan during performance. Here's another example of it, there seems to be a lot of variation on the inside pattern.
Spoiler :

Oh btw, Natan35, if I may ask, what is Rakyan Kanuruhan?

It means prime minister.

Also, candi as a UI is certainly an interesting idea. I'll see what I can do about it. :D

(Design wise)

Naming an ancient era unit using a modern name just feels odd man. I think what was Natan was trying to say is that the Rakyan Kanuruhan was a term used back at that period of time that means something similar to a minister. The name (according to quick wikipedia search) was actually the term used towards the higher-ups of the Kanjuruhan Kingdom, a vassalage under Mataram/ Medang Kingdom.

Okay, rethought my design, made this one with more references to the way Medang kingdom worked:

UA: Benefits of Holiness
Whenever a new :c5citizen: citizen is born, carry over 5% of the :c5food: food that was required for the city to grow to its current size as :c5gold: gold and :c5culture: culture per each religious structure in the city. Upon completing a religious structure, gain :c5greatperson: great person points per each :c5citizen: citizen in the empire.

UI: Candi
Unlocked at construction. May only be built on flatlands adjacent to cities or on farms, and never adjacent to each other. +1 :c5culture: culture and +1 :c5faith: faith, increased by 1 per each religion in the city. +1 :c5greatperson: great engineer points, increased by 1 per each religious building in the city when building a wonder.

Replaces great engineer. May be consumed for holy sites. When stationed in a city, causes food generating improvements yield :c5gold: gold equal to their :c5food: food output if adjacent to a :c5faith: faith generating improvement.

Decision: Implement the Sima system
Requirements: must have researched civil service, must have at least 50 citizens in the empire.
Costs: 2 magistrates
Rewards: +1 :c5food: food from farms adjacent to fresh water tiles.

Decision: Create the Watukura Stele
Requirements: must have built at least 1 wonder, must have researched engineering, must have a holy site.
Costs: 2 magistrates, 333 :c5culture: culture.
Rewards: Gain a Rakryan Kanuruhan. Consuming Rakryan Kanuruhan grants +1 magistrates.

Notice the synergy between the UU and UI: instead of rushing wonders with great engineers, gain more great engineers while building them, which will further increase your faiths and gold output, allowing you to buy more religious buildings.

Okay, rethought my design, made this one with more references to the way Medang kingdom worked:

UA: Benefits of Holiness
Whenever a new :c5citizen: citizen is born, carry over 5% of the :c5food: food that was required for the city to grow to its current size as :c5gold: gold and :c5culture: culture per each religious structure in the city. Upon completing a religious structure, gain :c5greatperson: great person points per each :c5citizen: citizen in the empire.

UI: Candi
Unlocked at construction. May only be built on flatlands adjacent to cities or on farms, and never adjacent to each other. +1 :c5culture: culture and +1 :c5faith: faith, increased by 1 per each religion in the city. +1 :c5greatperson: great engineer points, increased by 1 per each religious building in the city when building a wonder.

Replaces great engineer. May be consumed for holy sites. When stationed in a city, causes food generating improvements yield :c5gold: gold equal to their :c5food: food output if adjacent to a :c5faith: faith generating improvement.

Decision: Implement the Sima system
Requirements: must have researched civil service, must have at least 50 citizens in the empire.
Costs: 2 magistrates
Rewards: +1 :c5food: food from farms adjacent to fresh water tiles.

Decision: Create the Watukura Stele
Requirements: must have built at least 1 wonder, must have researched engineering, must have a holy site.
Costs: 2 magistrates, 333 :c5culture: culture.
Rewards: Gain a Rakryan Kanuruhan. Consuming Rakryan Kanuruhan grants +1 magistrates.

Notice the synergy between the UU and UI: instead of rushing wonders with great engineers, gain more great engineers while building them, which will further increase your faiths and gold output, allowing you to buy more religious buildings.

I like it, I like it a lot. I'd be willing to say we have a finalized design.

Top Bottom