Wonder Ideas for C2C

@Vokarya, I am not getting time to check any of your stuff at the moment. You could put it up on the SVN and get general feedback that way. I am thinking of your Cloth of Gold python here.

I just updated the SVN with my new python file and a new Wonder: Cabaret Voltaire. I'll post the screenshots here for some feedback, but I won't post the zip archives unless someone asks.

Here's a new Wonder that I created to fill in one of the fairly empty art technologies. This is Cabaret Voltaire, the birthplace of the Dada movement. It actually requires Dada technology to build.

It's a fairly simple wonder: 2 free Artists in exchange for -1 happy in the city and some instability. I decided not all new art movements were popular ones.

It is pretty cheap compared to some other Industrial wonders: Kremlin and Broadway are 1040 hammers, and Pentagon is 1625, but this is only 900.

Let me know what you think of this. I've already pushed it to the SVN.

Here's a new Wonder that I created to fill in one of the fairly empty art technologies. This is Cabaret Voltaire, the birthplace of the Dada movement. It actually requires Dada technology to build.

It's a fairly simple wonder: 2 free Artists in exchange for -1 happy in the city and some instability. I decided not all new art movements were popular ones.

It is pretty cheap compared to some other Industrial wonders: Kremlin and Broadway are 1040 hammers, and Pentagon is 1625, but this is only 900.

Let me know what you think of this. I've already pushed it to the SVN.

I like it (and also that it is not a "popular" one)! :goodjob:

Okay, I'm putting up two more Wonders for discussion. These are not yet pushed to the SVN, because I'm not sure if I have balanced them properly. I'm trying to create the scale of the "Arsenal of Democracy" of World War II.

The first is the River Rouge Complex. This is a super-sized, totally vertically-integrated automobile factory.

View attachment 315203
View attachment 315204

The second is Willow Run. This is a giant aircraft factory, so it really churns out air units. I noticed we didn't have many buildings that boosted air unit production.

View attachment 315206
View attachment 315205

Let me know if you think these are overpowered. I made them expensive (since they were really big) but they really boost production. I can always scale down the production bonuses.

@Vokarya

1. For the River Rouge Complex, rather than making a bunch of automobiles what if it speed up the production of wheeled units? Note that the hammers from resources might be over powered.

2. Willow Run what if instead of speed up production of all military units it just sped up production of air units or specific types of aircraft like Early Fighters and Early Bombers?

2. Willow Run what if instead of speed up production of all military units it just sped up production of air units or specific types of aircraft like Early Fighters and Early Bombers?

Thats more acurate in terms of history ( by extension the UK largest industrial building in the 1800s was to provide twisted rope ( should twisted rope be its own tech?) and tackles for the RN, so we can have multiples of this type of building for each armed forces service, so Air raft from Willow run, AFV from Tankograd Kaiser ship yard for naval, etc).

@Vokarya

1. For the River Rouge Complex, rather than making a bunch of automobiles what if it speed up the production of wheeled units? Note that the hammers from resources might be over powered.

River Rouge is an auto factory, so I thought it should produce automobiles like the Automobile Factory building does. I'd like for it to increase wheeled unit production. Is there a way to generate production for a specific combat type of units? I don't know if there is a tag between the Domain level (land/sea/air) and the specific Class level.

I'm beginning to think that the hammers from resources is overpowered as well. I was thinking of increasing the general production bonus and decreasing the resources production bonus like this:
  • +40% general
  • +20% with Iron
  • +10% with Coal
  • +10% with Oil
  • +10% with Rubber
  • +5% with Aluminum
  • +5% with Copper

which adds up to +100% total. I think that's appropriate for a World Wonder.

I don't want to go with specific types of aircraft. I think factories should be able to retool for new kinds of planes. It's only when there is a dramatic shift and the whole concept is no longer viable that you can't use the factory any more (that's when the Wonder goes obsolete). What if I drop the base production bonus down to +25% and drop the general military production completely? There would still be:
  • +25% production
  • +100% speed of Air units
which I think would work for a Wonder. Since it's a factory, not a training field, it shouldn't provide any XP bonuses or promotions.

River Rouge is an auto factory, so I thought it should produce automobiles like the Automobile Factory building does. I'd like for it to increase wheeled unit production. Is there a way to generate production for a specific combat type of units? I don't know if there is a tag between the Domain level (land/sea/air) and the specific Class level.

I'm beginning to think that the hammers from resources is overpowered as well. I was thinking of increasing the general production bonus and decreasing the resources production bonus like this:
  • +40% general
  • +20% with Iron
  • +10% with Coal
  • +10% with Oil
  • +10% with Rubber
  • +5% with Aluminum
  • +5% with Copper

which adds up to +100% total. I think that's appropriate for a World Wonder.

I don't want to go with specific types of aircraft. I think factories should be able to retool for new kinds of planes. It's only when there is a dramatic shift and the whole concept is no longer viable that you can't use the factory any more (that's when the Wonder goes obsolete). What if I drop the base production bonus down to +25% and drop the general military production completely? There would still be:
  • +25% production
  • +100% speed of Air units
which I think would work for a Wonder. Since it's a factory, not a training field, it shouldn't provide any XP bonuses or promotions.

Just a tangental thought. In the real world this sort of wonder was triggered by desperate needs in time of war. How about a new preReqWar tag for certain wonders - you can only start building them if you are in a war at the time? Alternatively perhaps halved cost when in war, or something - actually I like that better. It becomes economical to build if you are attacked that way. Could even restrict to war-I-didn't-start (or have tag options for production modifiers based on that sort of criteria anyway)

Just a tangental thought. In the real world this sort of wonder was triggered by desperate needs in time of war. How about a new preReqWar tag for certain wonders - you can only start building them if you are in a war at the time? Alternatively perhaps halved cost when in war, or something - actually I like that better. It becomes economical to build if you are attacked that way. Could even restrict to war-I-didn't-start (or have tag options for production modifiers based on that sort of criteria anyway)

I think that's a good idea - makes it more realistic.

I am not sure but I do know you can have specific units> For example for a faster production of Jeeps you would put.

Code:
			<UnitClassProductionModifiers>
				<UnitClassProductionModifier>
					<UnitClassType>UNITCLASS_JEEP</UnitClassType>
					<iProductionModifier>25</iProductionModifier>
				</UnitClassProductionModifier>
			</UnitClassProductionModifiers>

--------

I like the half cost in war. It has real potential for other buildings too both already made and yet to be made.

--------

Since I have some many new Sports buildings made I wondered if someone wanted to make some Sports related wonders that give a free sports building in every city? For example some sort of Hockey wonder could give a free Hockey Rink in every city.

Just throwing out some ideas since I already have enough on my plate to do.

This idea seems like it's somewhere between the Mobilization option in Civilization III (where you could mobilize for war, but you couldn't build non-war stuff until peace was declared) and the DefCon civic that we had in previous versions of C2C. I had an idea for a sort of "War Footing" civic that would be different from the Military civic in that it would be your level of preparedness for war. Some possible choices could be:
  • Total Peace
  • Watchful Borders
  • Raiding Society
  • Fortress Nation
  • Defend the Homeland
  • Mobilized Populace
  • Cold War
  • Arms Dealer

The thing about Willow Run is that it was actually started before the United States went to war - it was started in 1940, but didn't finish construction until 1942. I wouldn't put a preReqWar tag on this one, but maybe there are some others that would fit.

Since I have some many new Sports buildings made I wondered if someone wanted to make some Sports related wonders that give a free sports building in every city? For example some sort of Hockey wonder could give a free Hockey Rink in every city.

I haven't tried to do anything with sports yet, although I think Hockey Night in Canada needs to tie in better with Ice Rink/Hockey Rink.

I have just downloaded Platyping's Wembley Stadium :mischief:

I think wonders need the hammer requirement increased 1050 hammers for instance insn't enough once the game gets going. This is confounded when you have stone and/or marble or if you are industrious. 6 turn wonders on snail is pretty common for me at the moment. Im playing curtin (industrial) and have stone so i fly through wonders, sometimes faster than some of the normal buildings.

I think wonders need the hammer requirement increased 1050 hammers for instance insn't enough once the game gets going. This is confounded when you have stone and/or marble or if you are industrious. 6 turn wonders on snail is pretty common for me at the moment. Im playing curtin (industrial) and have stone so i fly through wonders, sometimes faster than some of the normal buildings.

What I'm mostly doing when I price a Wonder is to look at the Wonders around it in the tech tree. I actually bumped up River Rouge and Willow Run because of their production bonus.

I think I agree with you but I am not sure if you mean increase some wonders by that many hammers or make them that many hammers minimum.

im at the start of medieval and alot of the wonders cost 1050 hammers. Some of the more expensive ones are like 1500 i think, nothing takes me more than like 10 turns tho (using a few of my good cities to build them).
Earlier in the game I used early merchants to help speed up some wonders but at this point I have no need for them since it takes less than 10 turns. If you are ahead in techs you are basically guaranteed all the wonders that come with the techs since they can be built so easily.
I think this is a bit of a balance issue since industrial civs should be able to still have a shot of building some of the wonders if they get the required techs after science/financial civs.

Im not sure what I would recommend as an alternative if that is what your asking, hmm probably like a 50% increase in hammer cost across the board for all wonders. So like a 1500 hammer wonder becomes 2250 - built in 15 turns instead of 10 (for my melbourne, adelaide, canberra cities :)

im at the start of medieval and alot of the wonders cost 1050 hammers. Some of the more expensive ones are like 1500 i think, nothing takes me more than like 10 turns tho (using a few of my good cities to build them).
Earlier in the game I used early merchants to help speed up some wonders but at this point I have no need for them since it takes less than 10 turns. If you are ahead in techs you are basically guaranteed all the wonders that come with the techs since they can be built so easily.
I think this is a bit of a balance issue since industrial civs should be able to still have a shot of building some of the wonders if they get the required techs after science/financial civs.

Im not sure what I would recommend as an alternative if that is what your asking, hmm probably like a 50% increase in hammer cost across the board for all wonders. So like a 1500 hammer wonder becomes 2250 - built in 15 turns instead of 10 (for my melbourne, adelaide, canberra cities :)

In my game my limitting factor on wonders is number-per-city, since most of my core cities are at their limits, so I'm having to build them in less developed cities which applies a slight brake (but I have a decent tech lead so I haven't lost one yet that I wanted since start of Renaissance). Of course I am playing with both city limits and REV on, so that has a braking effect on my total number of cities. Without these I basically wouldn't have anything holding up my Wonder production I suspect.

thats a good point, i turned off the wonder limit for this game for a change, i thought it might benefit the ai since they usually spam wonders in there capital. Seems to have benefited me more like you have said :)
I got city limits base on civics on but REVdcm is off coz i just found it more of an annoyance than anything last game.

I think the biggest factor concerning this is how alot of c2c buildings provide you with hammers/food so the generic wonder cost (as per standard bts) is really outdated.

I'm still working on Wonder ideas, and I have two thoughts that I would like to throw out for discussion:

First, would anybody have a problem if I re-work the Hockey Night in Canada wonder? I think we can tie it in better with the Hockey Rink and National Sports League buildings.

Second is the Berlin Wall. I want this to have the feeling of "slapping the lid on a pressure cooker" -- it will solve problems with revolution in the short run, but in the long run, it will make stability worse. The problem is that I am not sure what combination of effects to use, and I'd like for it to have effects if Revolutions is on or off.

This is the base structure of the Wall:
Cost: 1000 (it's supposed to be cheap to build, but you pay for it in other ways)
Technologies: Automatic Weapons AND Civil Engineering AND Fascism
Civics: Fascist (I'm thinking Closed Borders as well?)
+4 culture, +2 Great People (Great Spy)
Expires: Skyroads

This is what I am looking at for possible effects:
  • Free Cement Barrier building in every city, or free Checkpoint
  • +20 espionage
  • -50% chance of revolts in all cities
  • +40 instability per turn
  • Some level of unhappiness (-1 in all cities? -2? -1 per military unit?)

What do you think would work?

Top Bottom