Wonder modding is kinda screwed

Krajzen

Deity
...because now each wonder requires a 3d model (also good luck at wonder cinematics, although they are less crucial).

Sure, some brave men will certainly bother to create 3d models of world architecture, but I don"t think we will again see 200+ wonders of the world avail able to downlpad on the workshop :(

I agree, although perhaps they can still mod buildings or districts that perform functionally like a wonder.

On the positive side, and I think it's been sparsely talked about, Leader mods get a boost with the toned down back drop the now have. Sure you still have to make a 3d model but the unimportant backdrop won't eat up most of your time

Oh ye of little faith. It might take more time to develop wonder mods, but some of us are already planning on that.

Cinematics are probably out of the window for the foreseeable future, but they're just eye candy after all. Building models are pleasantly simple, so a simple sketchup model with a brightly-coloured texture will be all that's needed.

Sure you still have to make a 3d model but the unimportant backdrop won't eat up most of your time

Unless modding new 3D leaders in is comparatively easy, one could drop the whole 3D shtick and go with 2D leaders like we all did in Civ 5, with a few notable exceptions. Or even try and animate them in the current 2.5D animated trend (seen in Stellaris for example). Backgrounds are not unimportant at all, but I agree they'll take less time. I'm going to be very happy with painting every single one of them (and I've already started nyeh nyeh nyeh). :mwaha:

Each game has its modding quirks. Civ 5 never saw proper leader screens modded in because they needed talented artists familiar with the engine to create. I bet months or years down the line someone will make a wonder mod that's decent, although maybe it wont have a construction graphic.

Moderator Action: Moved to Creation & Customization

It's very likely that Wonders don't need to have "build on Tile"-Mode active and that we can just continue creating old wonders, just as it will probably still be possible to create Buildings that can just be built in cities instead of districts.

That isn't quite as "cool" as having full-3d wonders, but it's not the end of the world either.

Agreed with Ryika. People are just too pessimistic and afraid that their old ways and modes of work will be violated by the new game. I quite welcome the changes, as they mark some challenge to overcome, new things to learn. I might need to finally pick up 3D modelling so I could provide some simple Unique Building models for new civilizations. If that fails, we'll just make them without new models, or just with some reskins for starters.

Of course the main bottleneck is going to be how easy it is to implement 3D models into the game. It wasn't a huge issue with unique improvements in Civ 5 and in the last few years they started popping all over the place in Civ 5 mods. There's hoping that's the case with Civ 6 as well.

I know that not everyone will be able to devote a lot of time to learn new things to mod a new game, but I think it's the cost that can - and should - be expected of a new title. We're expecting from modders / ourselves that we start making mods for Civ 6 as quickly and in such quantity (let alone quality) as for Civ 5 after two expansions and three or more years of experience.

Also a major factor here is that Civ V's support for adding 3d models is both 1) restrictive and 2) hard to work with.
With Civ VI having a new engine, we can only hope that 3d modellers will be able to work with a wide variety of tools (the ones they already know) and that adding 3d models will be much, much easier.
This should mean that Civ VI will grow a much larger batch of 3d modellers that don't burn out 3 months later.

As said, Civ V-style wonders will probably be implementable, as a part of the city. Wonder (wew) if National Wonders are to return and, if so, if they will become the standard for custom wonders without 3D models.

Yeh! I guess for wonders like the Sistine Chapel, where arguably the most wondrous part is on the inside it may not be possible to show that part in Civ6. unless there is a popup screen like in Civ5 doable in addition.

Of course the main bottleneck is going to be how easy it is to implement 3D models into the game. It wasn't a huge issue with unique improvements in Civ 5 and in the last few years they started popping all over the place in Civ 5 mods. There's hoping that's the case with Civ 6 as well.
Yep. I much preferred making models back then for Civ4 but Civ5 didn't use models for city buildings and was a lot harder to mod, in terms of adding/changing models. Very much looking forward to Civ6 in terms of modding (if I find the time... lately, time is in short supply).

Remember, Civ4 had over 200 wonder models just here on CivFanatics. Sure, Civ6 models will require more detail but many restricted themselves to less polygons to ensure it worked on PCs back then. I foresee quite a few conversions early on.

So, as long as Firaxis is implementing a sensible model format, wonder modding is going to be just as much fun as it used to be.

If Civ VI wants to claim to be even remotely moddable, good 3D support is a must given how basically EVERYTHING requires a 3D model this time around. Hopefully the 3D support will be good.

In which case I'm highly optimistic for wonders; modelling these structures in Civ VI's slightly cartoony style will be a fun and exciting exercise!

If Civ VI wants to claim to be even remotely moddable, good 3D support is a must given how basically EVERYTHING requires a 3D model this time around. Hopefully the 3D support will be good.

In which case I'm highly optimistic for wonders; modelling these structures in Civ VI's slightly cartoony style will be a fun and exciting exercise!

This. The 3D support will make or break Civ VI modding.

Top Bottom