1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Work in progess and Previews

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by ShiroKobbure, Mar 28, 2007.

1. ShiroKobbure

ShiroKobbure Still modding Civ3

2. ShiroKobbure

3. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

Glad to see a "mountain man" in the set. A perfect civ to use Sandris' Coureur Des Bois as a UU - or as a King/GL.

If Earp's look is still evolving you might try a bolo tie. Assuming you can find a prop of course.

4. ShiroKobbure

5. Blue Monkey

Units for the NW coastal tribes are needed. Posted scans a while back. Will try to find them.

6. ShiroKobbure

I have the Ospray book on it. If you have anything else feel free to post it.

7. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

Want to make something very different? See this post about Heyoka 'sacred clowns' and Skinwalkers, i.e., shape-shifters. These magic-users could be used to balance the power of native cultures vs Settlers: for instance, a shape-shifter could become an eagle for recon or attack; or a Heyoka (backwards) rider could be an 'invisible' unit. A Heyoka could also be a 'dreamwalker', which in Civ terms would be a unit, designated as an air unit, with recon ability.

PS I also made a request post once for a Padre that might be a useful unit in this setting.

8. ShiroKobbure

9. Blue Monkey

This post has scans from Dover Press. More workers, etc. in addition to military.

10. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

I'm sure that could be useful, though an invisible 'prayer' attack is effective, too. Creator's choice, of course.

Other than special underwear, not that I know of. Normal pompously-dressed westerners.
    There is a nifty image-resource, though: the movie September Dawn is about the early Mormons, and features Jon Voight as fanatical mormon bishop Jacob Samuelson.

11. Blue Monkey

There was an old Death Valley Days episode about an "Avenging Angel" ( Danite). iirc he wore a buffalo skin coat with a metal breastplate. But that's tv - not history.

12. 7ronin

7ronin 海軍少佐

Dover Publications has a huge selection (509 titles) of books about costume. You can find a list here. Some of these books are reprints of older previously published works while others have been specially commissioned by Dover. There are many dealing with Shiro's topic. Dover reasonably prices their books but you can find them for ridiculously low prices on amazon.com.

13. Blue Monkey

Many of their "coloring books" are more like the kind of line art used in museum displays - the authors either are or consult with anthropologists, etc.

14. ShiroKobbure

Here is an update, I still have a lot of heads to render. But I can't do it on my laptop since it would take too long and it might overheat my laptop. So I need to move my files to my desktop, but I haven't installed Poser on it yet. Hopefully I can have them all done after a few weeks.
    As for the large unit pack, about a month ago SoG agreed to tak Tom's place in converting all the files to working FLCs. Tom had already finished half of them several months ago, so maybe we can have them posted in the database soon.

I am also thinking about putting my mods on hold until Jimmyh's Civ game is out since I'm upset by the limitations of Civ 3. I don't think it will matter much, because there's still a lot of units heads and other to be made.

I also thought this might be interesting:

15. Blue Monkey

Quite an impressive evolution. An inspiration to others.

16. Jorsalfare

Jorsalfare Chieftain

Will the finished 254-color leaderhead-flcs be so close to photorealistic as the previews are? If that's the case, I hope they will be released before Jimmyh finishes his indieciv (which might take some time, considering the huge amount of work needed).

Anyways, the previews are really stunning.

17. ShiroKobbure

I think a lot of detail will be lost and the image will become grainy when I convert it to FLCs. Maybe if I can find a program that will auto-produce a palette then it may look better since the limited number of colors wont have to be made of colors that aren't needed.
    I do plan to release the heads in the database once they are done so that other people can use them for their own mods.

18. Jorsalfare

Jorsalfare Chieftain

In case it can be of any help at all: Made this pcx from the preview. It's made with Gimp - positioned dithering gave best results - and the palette should be optimized for this image (no unused colors). I've never used Photoshop, but I'm quite confident that it can extract the palette from the image.

That's great news! Looking forward to it:).

Attached Files:

19. Ogedei_the_Mad

Ogedei_the_Mad Caffeinated Khagan

Awesome Gwanggaeto leaderhead. :goodjob: I'm a little over a week away from spring break (and grading term papers for 150 students! :crazyeye: ), but once that rolls around, I'm going to return to the modding workshop (or yurt, I should say). ;)

20. ShiroKobbure

thank you, I think that is about the best we can do with the color limitations, and it looks pretty good