• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

World Baseball Classic

cubsfan6506

Got u
Although I had intial dougbts about the validity of a tournament in which very few of the american proffesionals were going to be playing in is actually turning out the better for it in my opinion. For instance I'm laughing my ass of at the Dominican republic for losing to the Netherlands. Now a pretty much entirely amateaur team from Australia is about to beat a team of major leaguers from Mexico.

I haven't been too interested. I watched the US vs Venuzuela game (happy the US won). I'll probably watch a few other games, but only follow half-heartedly.

Um, I thought Mexico actually played baseball? How did 17-7 and 22 hits happen?

For instance I'm laughing my ass of at the Dominican republic for losing to the Netherlands.

Hey, I resent that! ;)

Although we Dutch are not at the same level as the real powers in baseball, we're not exactly a bad baseball nation. We're among the best in Europe (usually either the Netherlands or Italy is European champions), but of course many countries from the Caribean are better. We got a bit of a lucky win here, but we'll take it... :)

so this is basically a race for second place behind the usa?

Japan, Korea, or Cuba are probably the favorites to win. Last time the US lost to Mexico and Japan I think. It was Japan Vs Cuba in the final game with Japan winning. The dominican was supposed to make a push this year too, but wow, losing to the netherlands. i saw that game, and Ponson owned them most of it. Which is pathetic.

the concept of the tournament is nice but why in the hell do they have it in march? it boggles my mind, really. they should have it in november or december, not right smack dab in the middle of spring training. major leaguers, especially pitchers, are gearing up for the season. it makes zero sense to ramp up the pressure like this so early.

aside from that, i have watched it some. i mean, it's better than watching split squad games on the MLB Network :p

I'm watching, and I'm a little more interested than I was last time. I don't think the Americans are the favorites either...I'd be a little surprised (although excited) if they pulled it out. Japan, Cuba and the DR are all very good (although losing to the Dutch?? Seriously DR??).

I'm also wondering why they're having it in march. Also, I heard they're going to expand it next time? What other countries would enter? I know the Indians signed a few Czech guys (I've heard Czech ball compared to Single A ball in the states), and I know the Pirates have a few guys from India....

i think it's a farce (or at the least, a long, long stretch) to have major leaguers w/ italian heritage playing for italy (and other teams where surnames have ethnic compatability). it's really a joke...

I'll agree that it's ridiculous to have guys like Frank Catalanotto and Mark DiFelice (and Piazza in 2006) play for Team Italy just because they have Italian heritage. Do they (slash would they) play for Team Italy in other international competitions?

Actually, I think Italy's the only team with this major-league-players-with-heritage thing. The only major leaguer on the Dutch team is van den Hurk (or however it's spaced and capitalized) and he is actually Dutch...

I really can't see it lasting in its current format. The timing is wrong, the format is wrong. It's clear that the most powerful baseball nation doesn't take it seriously - except that the MLB bankrolls it as a step towards broadening the sports' appeal outside the US.

It's a marketing gig only. Only a few deluded souls will bust a gut for this (either playing, or in making the effort to follow it in detail through the competition).

I think it would be cool to play the WBC with team USA being made up of the world series winners. Imagine the arm wear on the arms of the pitchers towards the end of the season though. I geuss it is there either way. Plus they aren't going head to head against the start of the ncaa basketball, or NFL any more than they have to.

At the moment I think it's a worthwhile endeavour, but that's just because Australia won.

I went to the Saturday game between Dominican Republic and the Netherlands, even though it felt like I was baking under the sun, that game was awesome. And the silence of the thousands of Dominicans was pretty weird too. I'm interested in knowing, are people in the Netherlands actually interested in the WBC?

Like I said, we Dutch are actually pretty decent as a baseball nation.... :)

I'm interested in knowing, are people in the Netherlands actually interested in the WBC?

No, we're not. Baseball is like the 10th sport in popularity in the Netherlands. Although the sport has a fair number of loyal followers in the Netherlands, outside that group of people interest in the WBC is minimal.

I don't even like baseball either. It bores me to sleep. But I know enough about it that I realize that this is really a huge achievement for the Dutch team. So: :goodjob:

I think it's a great idea and I wish there was more motivation to make it more important. Only time and national pride will do that I guess.

I agree the timing is weird, but really, when else can they do it? After the season everyone is dead and teams don't want their players getting hurt, so far less players would end up playing and that would be bad. I mean anyone that was in the playoffs would basically be out. Spring seems like the only time really.

Top Bottom