World Congress

Are you excited about world congresss?

• Yes

Votes: 268 89.3%
  • No

Votes: 32 10.7%

• Total voters
With every one talking about the new civs, I was wondering: Whats so good about world congress? are any of you guys excited about it?

EDIT: New resolutions:
World Leader: Designate a World Leader. If a Civilization receives support from enough Delegates in the Congress, that leader will attain Diplomatic Victory. The number of Delegates needed depends on the number of Civilizations and City-States in the game, and can be seen on the World Congress screen. If no Civilization receives enough support to win, the two Civilizations who received the most support permanently gain an additional Delegate to use in future sessions. May not be proposed by a Civilization. Automatically proposed at regular intervals once the World Congress becomes the United Nations.
Choose Host: Designate a Civilization to host the Congress. Being the host grants additional Delegates and the ability to propose resolutions. May not be proposed by a Civilization. Automatically proposed as Civilizations advance to later eras.
Ban Luxury: A Luxury resources is designated as immoral, endangered or otherwise inappropriate for use by the general population. As long as the ban is in place, Civilizations receive no Happiness benefit from this Luxury resource.
Embargo City-States: No International Trade Routes can be established with City-States. Any such Trade Routes are ended and must be reassigned.
Embargo: No International Trade Routes can be established between the chosen Civilization and any other Civilization. Any such Trade Routes are ended and must be reassigned.
World's Fair: Begins the World's Fair project. Once underway, Civilizations can contribute Production towards its completion by selecting it in the city production list. When complete, Civilizations receive bonuses based on how much they contributed. (1st place: Culture increased by 100% for 20 turns; 2nd place: Free Social Policy; 3rd place: 500 points towards next Golden Age.) Available once any Civilization discovers (?).
International Games: Begins the International Games project. Once underway, Civilizations can contribute Production towards its completion by selecting it in the city production list. When complete, Civilizations receive bonuses based on how much they contributed. (1st place: Tourism increased by 100% for 20 turns, Free Social Policy; 2nd place: +3 Happiness, one-time increase of 30 Influence with City-States; 3rd place: +3 Happiness.) Available once any Civilization discovers Radio.
International Space Station: Begins the International Space Station project. Once underway, Civilizations can contribute Production towards its completion by selecting it in the city production list. When complete, Civilizations receive bonuses based on how much they contributed. (1st place: International Space Station wonder appears in the Capital; 2nd place: Free Great Scientist; 3rd place: One time research boost.) Available once any Civilization discovers Satellites.)
Standing Army Tax: Unit maintenance costs are increased by 25% Gold.
Scholars In Residence: Members research technologies 20% faster if another member has already researched it
Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty: All Civilizations are prevented from constructing new nuclear weapons (Atomic Bomb and Nuclear Missile). Weapons already constructed, however, are not disarmed. Available once any Civilizations discovers Advanced Ballistics.
Cultural Heritage Sites: Wonders yield +3 Culture
Natural Cultural Sites: Worked Natural Wonders yield +5 Culture
World Religion: The civilization which has the most cities of this religion gets +2 delegates, this religion spreads faster, and the Holy City generates +50% Tourism
World Ideology: Designate an Ideology as the official World Ideology. Civilizations following that Ideology get an additional 2 Delegates. Public opinion in favor of that Ideology is increased for all Civilizations. There can be only one World Ideology at a time. Available once any civilization discovers Radio.
Art Funding: Increases generation of Great Writers, Artists and Musicians by 33%. Decreases generation of Great Scientists, Engineers and Merchants by 33%.
Science Funding: Increases generation of Great Scientists, Engineers and Merchants by 33%. Decreases generation of Great Writers, Artists and Musicians by 33%.
Historical Monuments: +2 Culture for each Great Person Improvement, +4 Culture for each Historical Landmark

I wouldn't go so far as to say that I am excited, but I am definitely curious to see it in action. I was rather underwhelmed by the UN and Apostolic Palace in Civ IV, but seeing how Firaxis improved religion so dramatically in Civ V, I have higher expectations for the WC.

Yes. I have a game where Montezuma is destroying the world with nukes. Also, will Brave New World affect save games?

With every one talking about the new civs, I was wondering: Whats so good about world congress? are any of you guys excited about it?

Hopefully it will allow more solid diplomatic bonds in the end-game, as well as interesting world changing decisions. I have faith it'll be interesting, probably more interesting than espionage. Not a critique of espionage, it turned out ok, not great, but it's good enough for me. But I see more potential in world congress.

Yes. I have a game where Montezuma is destroying the world with nukes. Also, will Brave New World affect save games?

What will most likely happen is that you will still be able to load your saved game and it will just act as if you didn't have the expansion for that game. A bit like when you try to play multiplayer with someone who doesn't have Gods and Kings; it justs reverts you back to vanilla. As far as I know. Can't say I have much experience there.

Meh. I reserve judgment until I've seen it in action. I admit I'm skeptical, because I think there's a possibility that it'll just restrict gameplay to a frustrating degree (banning trade items? Really?), and I'm not sure why it comes as early as Printing Press. But it might turn out to enrich gameplay after all. (Especially if you can ignore its directives at the cost of diplomatic penalties.) It's certainly a neat idea in theory, but until I've seen how it works, it's the addition I'm most ambivalent about.

What will most likely happen is that you will still be able to load your saved game and it will just act as if you didn't have the expansion for that game. A bit like when you try to play multiplayer with someone who doesn't have Gods and Kings; it justs reverts you back to vanilla. As far as I know. Can't say I have much experience there.

I think you're right about that. Before I got G&K I began playing in two GMR games with vanilla. Now when I load them up to play my turn in G&K, it starts playing vanilla's music and in the game everything is still like it was in vanilla. So it'll probably be the same with the new expansion.

But back to the topic. I think a world congress could be pretty interesting and fun, and I have hopes for it.

I hope its sort of like the UN was in SMAC.

I'm definitely excited. The game needed more affirmative reasons to play peacefully, and this expansion is hitting all the right notes. Diplomacy needed a buff. Now picking on your weaker neighbors will potentially have real consequences instead of idiotic AI taunting.

absolutely excited, I always get excited when they add new mechanics to the game, however small or insignificant, it produces the same effect on me.... :)

I'm hoping that the existence of the World Congress will mean a substantial overhaul to the diplomatic system, which I think is currently very poor. However, I am concerned that if they implement the World Congress without any significant changes to diplomacy or improvements to the diplomatic AI, it could be a disaster... if the other AI civilizations change the rules of the game as randomly and haphazardly as they currently do everything else, then it could quickly become a nightmare.

Okay who are the 6 trolls:p

How I imagine how World Congress will look like is all the AI are in one UI and if you're not the host your character will be on the UI

I hope its better than Civ4's UN. But I'll take even that. Anything that focuses more on diplomacy is a + in my book.

Well I'm the 7th.

I have never thought any UN/apostolic palace has really added anything to the game. To me they always just pop-ups every ten turns for some vote that never mattered. Thats why out of all the new features/civs in BnW the World Congress is the feature I am the least excited about. I don't have high hopes for it.

I hope I am surprised with this attempt though.

I'm one of them, for the reasons I just mentioned. I'm not against the feature, just not "excited" about it.

I hope its better than Civ4's UN.
My point exactly. Features like this can become more trouble that they're worth if the AI doesn't know how to deal with them properly.

I voted No because I am not, as of yet, "excited" about this new feature. This may change as new information becomes available, or I play the game and it turns out to be a lot of fun. But I assure you my current lack of excitement is sincere and not "trolling".

Why yes, I am excited for the World Congress feature (so nice of you to ask :D ) ! I loved the Apostolic Palace from Civ4 and during a recent vintage Civ phase I really wished Civ5 had that...but it seems like it is less powerful than the AP and I really wish it had that 'stop the war' ability for when you are embroiled in a phony war and you just want out. And also the 'reassign city' motion because I like creating chaos among rivals :p . After all, I can never get enough of a feature which hath not been released yet.

Yeah I guess those who said no probably played civ 4 and didn't like their UN while I who only played civ rev and V I am new to this system so I am excited like many others who did not play with this feature and those who played IV and liked and are optimistic for the world congress feature being presented in this expansion.

I voted yes, but that might be a bit of an overstatement. I'm pleasantly optimistic by it. It'll add some nice things and hopefully won't be too intrusive. Any new diplomacy is good diplomacy.

Top Bottom