World War II in the Pacific

Another fix I noticed:

8. The Australian Divisions reinforcement event needs to be fixed to spawn 3 brigades on Trincomalee instead of just one labled as a division. Brigade names for the 3 brigades that spawn in Perth also need to be corrected.

For our test game this basically mean the Commonwealth player is going to be shorted two brigades (unless everyone wants to update their python files mid game).

I kept thinking about your division --> brigade change, and would like to discuss with you this. What made you feel like this change is needed? Usually they say dont fix it unless it is broken, and I did not feel shortage in units while was playing vanila version.

See, managing many units in such a complicated scenario can be hard enough, what excitement do you get in working with 3 Machine Gunners instead of one? Sorry, but I am not convinced that this change was really a pressing issue with this scenario.

On the other hand there are some important problems which are not that easy to fix. For example loosing all the ships in port when port gets captured. How realistic is that? Granted, there are times in history when it did happen, like scuttling of the French fleet in Toulon, but usually ships just evacuate, like Soviet evacuation of Tallinn. How hard is it to create an event when your ships just booted out of the captured port?

Guys, who has the file? What is going on with our game?

I am not sure how many more Japanese Marines did you add with division -- > brigade transition, but the speed with which Dutch got destroyed makes me ... incredulous. Last game we played Dutch were still alive by the time we ended the game. So kudos to you ... but did you also revisited Dutch units with all your changes?

I am not sure how many more Japanese Marines did you add with division -- > brigade transition, but the speed with which Dutch got destroyed makes me ... incredulous. Last game we played Dutch were still alive by the time we ended the game. So kudos to you ... but did you also revisited Dutch units with all your changes?

The number of Japanese marines is actually about the same even after the change I made from division to brigade/regiment scale. The previous version had many regimental sized elements represented as divisions in the scenario (the SNLF marines and the South Seas Detachment for example). There was even a company-sized element (the Guam garrison, now removed) represented as a division. This was one of the reason why I made the change- to make things more accurate.

The number of troops in the South West Pacific Area and Pacific Ocean Areas was always small compared to the large formations in mainland China. The change to regiments makes the island campaigns much more playable and realistic.

The land unit scale of regiments now also matches the scales of naval and air force (capital ships/destroyer divisions and air groups respectively). This makes playability more realistic and balanced.

Every regiment/brigade sized element (and several battalion sized elements) in the pacific theatres on 7 December 41 are now correctly represented on the map.

I acknowledge that one drawback is the increase of units on mainland China making more units for the player to manage. The workaround for this is to form large stacks of corps and even army size. Once you have the stacks formed its easy enough to manage them each turn.

Regarding the Dutch East Indies- Dutch forces are historically correct now, the previous version gave them way too many troops. The real life campaign ended in early March 1942. I had to work hard in the game to accomplish this but I was actually quite pleased that events in our game matched the historical timeline.

Sources I used for the expanded edition:

http://pwencycl.kgbudge.com/O/r/Order_of_Battle.htm

http://niehorster.orbat.com/600_pto/41-12-07_pacific.htm

Perhaps promotions could describe relative size of units. All in all, I have a feeling Japan got way too many land units now. Beijing garrison is just terrifying.

Chinese had some Cavalry armies, where are they? Close to 40-50% of all divisions in Pacific war were Chinese. 90+ 1941 Chinese divisions are represented by 190+ Infantries , meaning 2 brigade in each division, while reality is close to 3.

Perhaps promotions could describe relative size of units. All in all, I have a feeling Japan got way too many land units now. Beijing garrison is just terrifying.

Chinese had some Cavalry armies, where are they? Close to 40-50% of all divisions in Pacific war were Chinese. 90+ 1941 Chinese divisions are represented by 190+ Infantries , meaning 2 brigade in each division, while reality is close to 3.

Oops, just noticing this now. For some reason my email notifications for CFC stopped working.

Anyways, the Chinese Nationalist Army had a vastly inflated order or battle and divisions usually amounted to no more than 5000 men at best. I do have more work to do but i think the balance is about right.

I'm having a problem with the AI on the single player campaign of the new version and wondered if anyone had suggestions. I'm playing US. Japan seems very timid and has taken over just 4 cities in the first 45 turns, all of which it took in the initial 10 rounds and then turtled up. They keep their navy in port. Is this just the current state of the the project or should I restart and increase the difficulty? I'm happy to wait if the AI is being improved for a new release. Thanks in advance.

Well after playing a few rounds of this VS the AI.(Multiplayer isn't working for Civ 4 modded or unmodded for some reason) i've got a a few thoughts on the mod. Mainly it's a great mod except for one problem. You lose the Enterprise and Lexington almost every time which hurts the war effort in the early going. Is it possible to make it so that Japan doesn't attack them right off the bat?

Is there a way to change wars with other nations in the mod files? Cause unlike what Japan did I don't want a 360° enemy, I want to restrict myself to waging one war at a time but unsure if I can achieve this while I'm at war with everyone. Thankyou.

It's done in 2 parts:

1) Private Maps/WWII in the Pacific.CivBeyondSwordWBSave: Japan starts at war with USA and Allies plus Communist China. Japan starts at peace with USSR. All these relations are blocked with a "PermanentWarPeace". [look for all BeginTeam entries].

2) Python/CvWWIIEventManager.py: the "PermanentWarPeace" is reiterated on Game Start (onGameStart function, lines 91 to 96).

It's done in 2 parts:

1) Private Maps/WWII in the Pacific.CivBeyondSwordWBSave: Japan starts at war with USA and Allies plus Communist China. Japan starts at peace with USSR. All these relations are blocked with a "PermanentWarPeace". [look for all BeginTeam entries].

2) Python/CvWWIIEventManager.py: the "PermanentWarPeace" is reiterated on Game Start (onGameStart function, lines 91 to 96).

Ah, m'kay, thanks.

Is there a working download link for this mod? Every link I clicked gave me some version of "this is not working/no longer available".

Top Bottom