[GS] World Wonder speculation thread

@Wielki Hegemon +1 on the Crystal Palace.

As for what I think they're going to add in Gathering Storm:
  1. Panama Canal (confirmed)
  2. Great Baths (confirmed)
  3. Golden Gate Bridge (as good as confirmed)
  4. Machu Picchu - The Inca are in and it was shown in the trailer. Not even both of these facts together are enough to guarantee it will be included, but, come on, it's Machu Picchu. I feel like it's a staple wonder. They're also demonstrating that mountains can be interacted with more than ever (the train tunnels), so Machu Picchu could be placed directly on a mountain tile.
  5. University of Sankore - Similarly, with Mali returning, it seems like a good time to reintroduce this one. I favor the University of Sankore over the Mosque of Djenne since it has a stronger connection to Mansa Musa. I also feel like the game could use a scientific wonder over another religious one.
  6. Chateau Frontenac - Simply because they've demonstrated that they're including elements from the R&F trailer (the plague scenario) and the box art (Pamukkale). This was on the box art as well. That, and Canada is supposedly in.
  7. Monks Mound - That screenshot from the initial press release shows a Cahokia Mound in the background. For some reason I can't fathom, others have put this forth as a Maori Pa (since disproven) or a Motte-and-Bailey (where's the central keep?). I think it's obviously a mound and nothing else. Look at how it's built on two tiers. How it's squared off. Look at the architecture of the buildings. The central staircase leading up. Might be an improvement from a new city state, but it might be a wonder.
Spoiler :

There are plenty of others, of course, such as Notre Dame, the Louvre, Statue of Zeus, Himeji Castle, Borobudur, Globe Theater, etc. More than enough for a possible third expansion at least.

I realize my reasoning probably relies too heavily on the new Civs being introduced. The wonders definitely didn't follow any such pattern in R&F, so I'm probably wrong on 4, 5, and 6!

Last edited:
Here are 7 wonders of the modern world according to American Society of Civil Engineers

I would give that list a little more credit if there weren't a few dozen (at least) other lists with the "7 wonders of the modern world" out there.

Unlocked with Civil Service so Ancient/Classical.

Unlocked with Electricity so Industrial/Modern.

Moderator Action: similar threads merged

I fear the second one is indeed Battersea Power Station. It is somewhat famous and rather iconic.

Electricity would be a good tech to put it.
Spoiler :

Good pick, but do the smokestacks match? They seem a bit different.

Good pick, but do the smokestacks match? They seem a bit different.
No, they don't match entirely and there are 4 of them on the power station. It's the most landmarky building with chimneys that I know ;) And since it unlocks with other power plants, I think the direction is fitting. If you google famous power plants or chimneys, it's always right there.

As for the south indian wonder, there are many possibilities, but not many are red colored.

Let the great "Which Temple is This One" Hunt begin

Siptah suggested Srikanteshwara Temple. A contender for sure, but it looks like there's two buildings on the side in the icon and I can't see that at this temple.

Another point against Srikanteshwara Temple is that the top of the gopuram does not really match.

I think the smokestacks are a new project, not wonder, based on the icon art style. It is akin to the new project at Industrialization. They are using the same symbol for wonders and projects.
It's possible. It could be burn oil for power.

Top Bottom