WOTM 57 First Spoiler - 1AD

neilmeister

Lentils have feelings too
GOTM Staff
WOTM 57 First Spoiler - 1AD

Reading Requirements

Stop! If you are participating in WOTM 57 Neil of Korea, then you MUST NOT read this thread unless EITHER
  • You have reached at least 1AD in your game, OR
  • You have submitted your entry, OR
  • You have abandoned your game and will not submit.

Posting Restrictions
Please do not discuss anything that happened after 1AD.
Please do not discuss modern era resource locations (Copper and Iron are OK).
Please do not divulge your final result if that happened after 1AD.
Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

---------------------------------

So... where did you settle? Why?

Is Neil getting you down?

Link to video.

I settled 1NE, looking to grab an extra hill, and hopping for still more in the surprise tiles to the east of the river.

Off to a decent start... Obviously, at noble, the AI offered little resistance, so the question is just how quickly we can get to our desired win condition.

At 1AD, I have 12 cities, and more to come soon... I just started building my universities, and expect to start building Oxford around turn 125. My economy is almost crashed (breaking even at 40%, and dropping fast), but researching 250 bpt at 100% and 140 bpt at break-even, I think I still will be able to make it to constitution and state property on a war economy before the crash... Probably heading to space.

I also settled 1 NE.

I was frustrated when the Ottomans built the Oracle four turns before I would have completed it for the CS sling.

After only settling three of my own cities, I declared war on Cyrus and took one of his border cities. Then Ragnar decided to attack me, so I made peace as soon as I could with Cyrus and turned my attention west. By 1 AD, I've taken two of Ragnar's three cities, including his capital. The Hwachas are working great! :ar15:

omg, I am really ashamed to say I have only 9 cities or so cause it is only Noble...

Late CS, Late construction, Cyrus is gone, Rome constantly settles cities for me, GLibrary is nice. I forgot Maths (stupid! stupid! stupid!) to Oracle CS and chose MC

Settled 1NE, cause of the river.

Neil is not depressing, I remember once when he was on the toilet when Vyvyan came and kicked the bowl breaking it. I think Neil said something like "Oh, great. Just what I needed, wet feet." (Or maybe I'm senile. It was decades ago.)

I was a bit disappointed to find no other Young Ones as our opponents. Maybe Ragnar might have been Vyvyan. I just wonder who would have been (p)Rick.

What is getting me down is reading these progress reports, 12 cities at 1AD etc. Why do the pros play Noble level anyway? Or are the real sharks able to conquer all before 1AD?

I'm far less expansive (with fewer cities) and although still a tech leader, much less advanced. Missed music GArtist by 1 turn. Never made Oracle or the Pyras. Have so far founded every religion though, 2 first in the cap city.

Maybe not quite conquer all, but the real pros could certainly be well ahead of 12 cities... Indeed, I am far from one of the real pros, and if I wanted to, I could easily have been around 18 cities... I did not want to, because I was planning on space, based on an early oxford. I therefore am comming part of my economy on the needed infrastructure, and pushing to much pass 12 cities would have made the economic crash to deep. At this level, expansion is limited more by economic considerations as opposed to any actual AI resistance.

Part of your slower start indeed is described in your last sentense... If you have founded every religion, you apparently invested very early into religious techs... That tends to slow down expansion, as those are beakers not being put into the economically powerful worker techs (including BW), currency, etc...

Ugh! I'm past 1000 AD, and I still only have 6 cities (including 3 taken from Ragnar around 1 AD). I'm way behind Mehmed II in score (like, 400 points of score). Should I just quit now?

1AD Stats
5 Cities (population): Capital 1NE (8), Pigs/Copper/Corn (6), Marble (4), Iron (2), Viking cow city culture flipped (6) (525 BC)

Built Stonehenge, Oracle (Civil Service 625BC), The Parthenon

Rome has Great Wall, Ottomans have Hanging Gardens, no one has built Pyramids yet

Two turns away from 7 Hwachas and 5 Axes to attack Rome (which has just hooked up iron and has a Praet).

Top Bottom