1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Would You Like to Help Out?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game III: RPG' started by Strider, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

Donovan... you get this? I REALLY need this done.

2. Civanator

Civanator Deity

Aight, I back and put me on that list ;)

3. gunning1

gunning1 Emperor

Ok, this is my first post in a long time, but I'll help too.

4. disorganizer

disorganizer Deity

the only way a rpg with nearly "realistic" game experience can work is with an enormous amount of automation... bank? who needs a bank when we have item-tracking (automatic)...?

the only thing a bank would be needed for then would be to lent and to gain interest on your money.

the gold-to-item exchanges before banking can be done with automatic item keeping... so what would be needed would be a database with web frontend. each player would have his own account, and can give away all items he owns to any other player over the web interface. new items can only be introduced into the db via the item manager. items include gold.
    this would not only ensure consistency of the items in the game but also would ensure the circulation of gold inside the game.

a database imho will be essential for a rpg.... unless you have 10 players available which have nothing else to do the whole day long other than to calculate things for the rpg... which imho wont be available (unless you get at least 20+ active[!] players).

5. disorganizer

disorganizer Deity

oh, and before i forget: a database will also be essential for easy land-management.... in the end, also land tiles can be seen as items, just that new tile-items will be introduced into the db by the land-manager.
    this way the land-manager only has to organize sales for new tiles, but doesnt need to care about the other trades afterwards ;-)

so to summarize:
    * items are normal items as well as gold and land-tiles (and units)
    * new items are introduced into the item db by the appropriate manager, not by players themselves
    * existing items can be transferred from the owning player to anyone else via the item database
    * the overall manager can and is the only one allowed to transfer items without approval of the owning player (for example needed for tile conquering, events etc.)

this would imho be the easiest and best solution.... and imho the only way a rpg will be manageable.

6. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

We've messed with the idea of using a database several times, but personally I'm not versed enough in html, PHP, etc. inorder to write it.

7. GenMarshall

GenMarshall High Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    Ugh Data bases. I have a rough time creating my own math tools with excel :p.

8. Shabbaman

Shabbaman rebuffing the rebels

If the stats-system from DG2 is adopted, I'll run the academy and the character stat database management (which, for those who missed, I also did for DG2 after I took over for Shaitan)
    I'm looking forward to it!

9. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

I'm thinking that the best thing to do would be to adopt the DG2 ruleset and "adapt" it to are needs.

10. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

All of you guys still here? If your still willing to help... I think we might beable to pull this off.

11. GenMarshall

GenMarshall High Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    Im still present :)