Writing in Gunpowder

This sounds interesting. I'll give it a go, if you'll have me.
Not sure how good my story telling will be but it sounds like fun.

i could be the silent player

Sorry Dick - if we wanted to write stories with a bunch of silent human players, we could do that in "18" (in fact we are)

This game is more about the story-telling and creating a fictional world told from three different perspectives than it is about playing the game and winning. none of us have any plan on playing our best to win the game, its about telling a story and staying within character at all times... we want all the humans to be writing stories and the AI are only there for the purpose of making it a bigger world and giving us some NPC's for our stories...

Also the game will probably move terribly slow... I dont have any plans on rushing through this game and will hold on to a turn to slow it up if I have a story I need to finish writing first.

This sounds interesting. I'll give it a go, if you'll have me.
Not sure how good my story telling will be but it sounds like fun.

Hawklord, that would be great of you to join if you are willing to write! We were hoping for a 4-some and were considering launching with 3 here shortly, so your timing is impeccable!

Again to reiterate - this game is more about writing stories within the world we are playing in than it is trying to "win" the game. We want our story arcs to eventually intertwine and connect, we want to stay in character as much as possible, and the goal is to have a massive story when its finished with lots of followers.

I plan on taking screenshots which will help the story and would hope others would too. Its not about holding state secrets if it makes the story better. We are still debating whether there will be some sort of "scoring" based on the writing side as well, so we can have two winners... but if this interests you you are welcome to join and feel free to pick a leader! Have you ever used the Legends of Revolution mod?

By the way Eclipse and Knoedel - I had a bit of a revelation on my way to work this morning and have a much better outline for the beginning of my story now rather than the random jumble of thoughts I had before. If Hawklord is interested we should definitely get this game set up, I'm pumped to write my first chapter!

rejection always hurts. maybe it can be a always peace game

No that wouldn't work based on the core design. An example being we may keep our Kingdom on the edge of Revolution hoping for it to write about it, where as you would not, playing it normally taking great advantage of the game without limits and controlling aspects of the game because of it (sea lanes, land and available trades).

But you are an active player and I appreciate the introduction to LoR so there is a maybe. I will discuss a non- writing limited Role for you as a 5th player with the others offline.

@Hawkliord
You must d/l the Legends of Revelution mod, if you've not found it by this evening I'll point you there when I get to my PC. Create a test pbem to show you the options we are using and to come up with a leader. There are some changes like UUs and how Barbarians will develope.

Edit: your note about writing skil made me laugh, I don't I have more ability than you, Remember I've known you a long time :)

have only a cultural/religious/diplo victory

me recklessly waging war would be frowned upon.

I don't know. The storyline where the peaceful civilisations banded together to destroy the dangerous warmonger might be quite a bit fun :lol:

downloading this now.

gave up on the digs so called broadband which gave me 3 hours to go and turned on my mobile broadband, 20 minutes, a lot better. 5 to go :rolleyes:

Got this installed and it works in single player mode. So I guess it'll be good form pbem.

It will depend which era your going to start in as to which civ will be a good choice. Not much good having all your UUs in antiquity if we're starting in medieval times. I'd prefer to start at the beginning. You can have great fun with developing beliefs, and first contact with another civilisation. What psychological effect will finding out that you are not the most advanced tribe in the world have, will you hang your priests and bow down to the new beings. Or grab for your swords to remove them from the face of the Earth that the Parsley God gave to your tribe.

There was a programme on the tely about lost cities, and the arrival of the Spanish kicked of a spate of human sacrifices, when they didn't appease the Gods, the whole social structure collapsed. Leaving a deserted city.

i am happy that LoR is getting the play it deserves. it is the natural progression in my mind.

i am unhappy that i can't get a seat in the theater when i brought the show to town.

so i quote:

Jan 27, 2012, 08:04 PM #3
D!CK_VII
Warlord

Blah! Blah! Blah! carry on as you were

Why can't there be 5 humans and 5 ai on a bigger map? If Dick wants to have a go at writing a story line why not.

I didn't want to step on any ones toes.

Why can't there be 5 humans and 5 ai on a bigger map? If Dick wants to have a go at writing a story line why not.

I didn't want to step on any ones toes.

Thats the point, I don't think Dick is willing to write any stories...

I think we wanted to start in Medieval times because we are closer to Astronomy and the true naval aspect of sea battles, finding the new world, etc. Although if we are doing a Terra map then I guess that doesn't matter as much since we will all be starting on the same continent. But then again, on Terra maps I've found that the new world takes way too long to develop once you finally get there, but that just may be me.

Anyone else want to chime in on starting Ancient vs. Medieval?

Say What?

It is true I wanted Medeival Times to get to ships sooner but it was my thinking that there'd be more to write about sooner, but Hawklord's point on begin times writing is a good point and so is Imp's point on immortality, these are true deep and detail ideas.
we've already done it in the 18 player game, we could easily do it again.

Previously I had an idea about only writing within the realms in which you know, for an example if you are in the Medeival times you would not know anything about iron ships etc. I received good replies on that subject so you think as I do. But I think limiting ones imagination is not the right way to go, so I want to lift this limit and allow you free reign.

I'd like to add that I am fond of somehow connecting these stories eventually, the fact is, readers will start at the beginning and probably go post to post rather than player story focus, I hope that made sense. Like if Nighthawk is working hard on spreading Christianity and I keep pushing Buddaism at him. This isn't a must, I just think readers might get a wow factor out of it rather than 100% independent stories, not that one way is better than the other, your story is your story.

Anyway I'll post some game detail to get some approvals and will launch ASAP
Thank you ALL for joining !

Top Bottom