Writing in Gunpowder

I'm fine with either start, I have a backstory that will fit with either and I will be the Spanish led by Isabella either way. If we use a Terra map it will be the equivalent of a Pangea map in ancient/classical times, so ships wont matter, but there is plenty of additional storyline to use once we get around to "finding the new world" and ships will definitely play a part. As a story arc that is much more useful than the concept of "the new world" in the game itself!

And yes of course I fully expect these stories will intertwine in some way once we all meet each other.

I'll look forward to the settings and launching soon!

0011 1001 0101 1110 0111 1100
1001 1101 1111 0001 1001 0101

furthermore i'd like to add

1110 1101 0111 0110 1010 1001

You make no sense dude, binarycode does never start with a 0.

How about a Classical start as a compromise? Anyway, I can't wait for the game to start. I think I will go for mortal leaders and use Eclipse`s idea with several potential successors all with different mindsets.

Again I forgot to look up whether Cathy`s traits are still the same in LoR and I am writing this with my mobilephone, so could please somebody tell me?

Cheers.

Hey loosely translated that says "I'm gonna screw with you guys a bunch if you don't let me play"

Am I close?

Actually it means "9^|ñ•ív©", as I said just random numbers.

pretty close.

i could be the AI instead of the AI. hell i cant do any worse then the AI or can i?

No that wouldn't work based on the core design. An example being we may keep our Kingdom on the edge of Revolution hoping for it to write about it, where as you would not, playing it normally taking great advantage of the game without limits and controlling aspects of the game because of it (sea lanes, land and available trades).

But you are an active player and I appreciate the introduction to LoR so there is a maybe. I will discuss a non- writing limited Role for you as a 5th player with the others offline.

At this point I considered trying to work you in, but I didn't get to because you took a new attitude almost immediate. I apologized and told you the game was full, your only interest here is the core game and you can get that elsewhere. If you persist in your badgering I will drop you and your games

pretty close.

i could be the AI instead of the AI. hell i cant do any worse then the AI or can i?

It has nothing to do with the AI being AI. The AI also "acts the part" and you can have some form of reasonable diplomacy with them. Its not the process of moving the units and selecting what to build that we need, but we DO need the ability to involve them in the story and do some diplomacy thats reasonable. We can write a story about how we ended the war with the AI because our armies took a city or 2 and stood on the doorsteps of their capital and their leader came out and begged for peace, offering up all his treasury or something... but if its you we will need to actually discuss whether we have peace or not, and if you have any fighting chance, I get the feeling you won't want to negotiate.

Look, if you were willing to actually write something and conduct real in-game diplomacy then I'm sure we'd have no problem involving you. THis game is about the stories and the in-game character communication, not just playing LOR. We could easily do this game with standard BTS. The mod is only being used because we do actually want to use the additional features AS PART OF THE STORY. Not just because theres a few additional techs and it looks cool.

If you want to play LOR, you have 2 games where you are 3 civs each, isnt that enough for you? if not, then start another. We are only doing this game because we are looking at it more as a WRITING PROJECT and creating something new for the world (4 intertwined stories by 4 different writers)... the civ game is only the basis and helps for the motivation, thats all. Its not about playing the game, its about creating an entirely different world, thats what it seems you dont get.

OK done that.
Just a thought but it might be better to play a set of turns and publish the story at intervals.

Keep a diary of your turns and pull the happenings into a dialogue.

We could reduce the turn number when things get busy and extend it if it is quiet.

Maybe have collaborative posts for peace treaties and trade negotiations. So you could get a two sided conversation.

It will be more readable especially when nothing much happens.

What do you think? Or was this the plan anyway?

So when can we expect the game to start?

When does the story start?

I'd suggest one post to set the scene and describe your beautiful home lands then maybe 10 turns before the next instalment, if not more. The story will get stale quickly if all you can report is another tree. Give us time to polish up the prose a bit. :)

So are we using this thread for gps and game talk and just posting the story and replies to any stalkers in the other.

What do you guys think?

Tried this mod earlier, revolution needs to be watched. Can you just starve the peasants into submission or do they just get madder?

OK done that.
Just a thought but it might be better to play a set of turns and publish the story at intervals.

Keep a diary of your turns and pull the happenings into a dialogue.

We could reduce the turn number when things get busy and extend it if it is quiet.

Maybe have collaborative posts for peace treaties and trade negotiations. So you could get a two sided conversation.

It will be more readable especially when nothing much happens.

What do you think? Or was this the plan anyway?

Good point. I don't think we really discussed it. I think the plan is that we write as we feel it is necessary and keep the game moving at the pace you personally desire. So for example, if I have a lot going on at the moment and lots of writing/stories to keep on it, I can either take notes or move the turns along as I see fit. If I need to catch up on writing, I can delay the game a bit. We expect it will be slower moving than normal. And I believe the reasoning is that every empire and story is different - one of us might have a detailed thing planned out while the other needs a few turns to get things going before they write much.

There are only 4 of us, so I think as long as we keep in communication about things we should be fine. Eclipse doesnt seem to be the type to want a formal schedule and I sorta agree - as long as we are open with our plans to each other and keep in contact we should be fine. No schedule allows for more creativity!

As for negotiations/peace treaties/diplomacy matters, I believe the plan is to keep all that in the "story thread" as well, whether its back and forth or collaborative. Again, each situation is different, so at times it might be an open letter to another civ while at times its closed door communication followed by an official pronouncement. Make sense?

When does the story start?

I'd suggest one post to set the scene and describe your beautiful home lands then maybe 10 turns before the next instalment, if not more. The story will get stale quickly if all you can report is another tree. Give us time to polish up the prose a bit. :)

So are we using this thread for gps and game talk and just posting the story and replies to any stalkers in the other.

What do you guys think?

Tried this mod earlier, revolution needs to be watched. Can you just starve the peasants into submission or do they just get madder?

The story starts as soon as the turns come out tonight/tomorrow. I have a few ideas floating around in my head that I'm trying to stabilize and then I will write it up in the next couple days. The ancient times will have few stories compared to latter days for me, but there may or may not be more depending on where I'm at and what happens.

And yes - this thead is the gps/behind the scenes talk and the other is stories/diplomacy/communicating with our growing legion of fans :)

As for the game itself - starving/whipping the citizenry doesnt help if you have a revolt on your hands. Things that help: Religion, wonders, certain civics (being NOT in slavery is helpful haha). There's more too, as you play you'll see the extra hints the creators added in the load screens. I don't quite get the mechanics, but a war can actually help if the people are in support of it and you rally them behind you... but an extended war can also end up hurting you if they get tired of it. Expanding too fast also hurts. I'd encourage you to play a single game out and test the limits a bit to get a feel for when a revolution happens, I did that and its actually pretty cool... you also get PLENTY of time where you get warnings and see it coming, so its not like you'll have a full on revolution overnight or anything. You'll be able to react and either stablize it or at least prepare for civil war.

Whatever you guys do though - DO NOT HAND YOUR CIV TO AI CONTROL! I tried it in a single player game, the AI takes over for x number of turns and then you get the civ back, but your leader has changed and who knows what the state of the union will be. In this game that will mean the 3 of us will be doing turns and the AI will do yours for a certain period of time and you will be out of the game for a while, with no stories. If that option comes up, its better to say no and deal with the revolutionary armies rather than just cede power... just a hint for you guys!

Top Bottom