XP 64 Pro, Help Please

I have a new Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit computer. It is fabulous. I will load up civ 3 and see how it does--as soon as I find the CD.

It plays Total War: Rome great. My previous computer was an XP pro 32 bit.

What exactly is "lousy" about it? If you don't like Aero, turn it off. Other than that, under the hood, it's better in essentially every way compared to XP.

Nothing really surprising there. Both of those are the types of companies that want to force you to upgrade every year or two, so if you want to use an old version too bad. 2 minutes with google shows that both Peachtree and Quickbooks officially say that the 2008 and 2009 versions of their software are supported on Win7, but you might have some problems that they can't fix due to compatibility issues. FOr both, the 2010 and 2011 versions are fully compatible with Win7.

They are NOT with Win 7 64 pro.....fact.

I didn't rely on a website....I'm speaking from direct experience with both companies.
Some keep saying Win 7 and seem to be forgetting the 64 bit version
which is what I've been discussing all along.

Under the hood, on this system here, Win 7 64 pro was slower. fact.
What's next...Wikipedia? no thanks. With experience, no explanation is necessary.
Without experience, no explanation is possible.

Bottom line, I thought I've made it clear, Imo, Win7 64pro is garbage.
With Civ IV it turns out, there's issues with the patches and some also occur in XP 64 pro
I did find a work around elsewhere....
Why?
someone actually answered my question elsewhere.

CIV III doesn't seem to be a problem as I also learned elsewhere, there's quite a few people than ran it with no problems under WinXP 64 pro...they loved it and said it rocks

CIV IV is doable and less hassle with XP 64 pro than Win7 64 pro
so far this site has been no real help at all to actually answering my question.
Instead, all I've mostly heard is a lot of rah-rahing for Vista SE, I mean Win7...
not productive one bit.

At this point, I'm actually sorry I joined here and bothered asking my question in the first place.
Wow, silly me....asking a direct question and including some background info for my decision and reason for my question....
and actually expecting an answer.

My mistake. That I can correct.

I have a new Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit computer. It is fabulous. I will load up civ 3 and see how it does--as soon as I find the CD.

It plays Total War: Rome great. My previous computer was an XP pro 32 bit.

and that has what????? to do with:
XP 64 Pro, Help Please

which is the subject of the thread.
unbelieveable........

btw, I've got the lastest DirectX and it's working just fine
and from a couple messages from elsewhere just in
CIV V isn't a problem with XP 64 pro.

later

At this point, I'm actually sorry I joined here and bothered asking my question in the first place.
Wow, silly me....asking a direct question and including some background info for my decision and reason for my question....
and actually expecting an answer.

My mistake. That I can correct.

And you got an answer. XP x64 never was and never will be a good OS. Whatever issues you had with Win 7, we're all telling you -- figure them out. You will be much better off in the long run. Unless you have ancient hardware which has driver issues with Win 7, in which case, soz. You should probably upgrade.

and that has what????? to do with:
XP 64 Pro, Help Please

which is the subject of the thread.
unbelieveable........

He's providing anecdotal evidence that Win 7 works just fine, even with older games (Civ 3 being about a decade old now)

btw, I've got the lastest DirectX and it's working just fine
and from a couple messages from elsewhere just in
CIV V isn't a problem with XP 64 pro.

later

No you do not. DirectX 10 and 11 will only run on Vista/Win 7. You are running DX9 which while still compatible with most games, is by far not the latest. The only reason Civ 5 has no issue with XP x64 is because Civ 5 has a DX9 binary available. If it was DX10 only, then it would not run on your system. This will only get worse in the coming years as less and less games have a DX9 binary available.

"And you got an answer. XP x64 never was and never will be a good OS."

bull cookies
and oh so very wrong....must be a MS shill......
I recall the same nonsense with Vista
My system is neither ancient...which I explained already...
the assumptions some of you people come up with are quite something

Win7 64 pro puked on my forensics software....
Win XP 64 pro.......it runs flawlessly
and I have the lastest release of my forensics software

What too many of you fail to realize is that a lot of people are still using and prefer XP64 pro over both Vista 64 and Win 7 64 bit systems
they besides me had unresolvable issues which included complete system crashes

The only real downside was drivers with XP 64 pro for a while and with Win 7 64 bit out there
a lot of drivers are compatible and being upgraded to include Win XP 64
Printers were the worst
I've just added a big new Canon printer....XP 64 drivers...no problem.

My system boots in 24 sec and the anti-virus is loaded along with some other programs running in the background
The issues I found in Win 7 64 pro were unresolvable...imo...that means the OS is still crap

If my only downside was not having this game.....that's no downside at all
Microsoft tried to make an idiot proof OS and failed.

manuevering around in it is a pain
having to ask questions to get an answer to find something in the system is idiotic
and their desktop schemes 11 months ago were crap.....

Even when they premiered Win 7, they boasted a boot of 21 sec....in a blank system
I've got an XP system that does that with everything it has loaded into it

XP is like a 350 or 454 chevy....they just keep going and going and going
Just like my old '78 3/4 ton GMC I used to pull Fords out of the ditch sideways
which I owned for over 25 years and completely tore down to the frame once
that puppy put 387 to the ground on the dyno and that was before the roller rockers
and with a stick I still got 20 mpg on the highway
sure I tweaked it....it wasn't until I got tired of climbing in and out of it
that I switched to a newer 3/4 Suburban with a 6.0 and chipped it
and now I pull a trailer when I need to haul something

Windows next new operating system is due out in a year or so....after it's been out for a year
then they might have an OS that's worth a crap again

In the meantime....this system is just fine....sure my vid card only has a gb on it and my system only has 8gb of ram with a nice quad core Phenom...not the newest 6 core mind you
but certainly good enough to run what I have and more than enough raw power to run these games

but upgrading to a piece of crap OS...is not an upgrade

Like I said....I got the answers needed elsewhere from others who are using Win XP 64 pro
and are as happy as myself
and wouldn't let go of the dependability

and I still have 5 full complete installs of Win7 pro 64 that are currently sitting on the shelf
Microsoft wouldn't be coming out with a new OS if Win7 was all that

and when people who work for & actually program for Microsoft use XP64 pro on their personal systems because they find it more reliable....that's telling in and of itself

no thanks....
If it wouldn't have worked....I would've skipped even buying any of these games
because I need dependability for the software I use to make a living
and it runs just fine and dandy in XP64 pro and pays the bills

buying any Win7 64 bit OS is like buying a penny stock....at least 99% of them are scams
and the only way you make money on them is when another retail trader is getting screwed over

Win7 64 bit OS is like buying a Mack truck....they're considered idiot proof
Not the investment or performance of a custom built KW or Peterbuilt

No wonder Playstations, Xboxes, and Wii's have taken over gaming

thanks, but no thanks

"And you got an answer. XP x64 never was and never will be a good OS."

bull cookies
and oh so very wrong....must be a MS shill......
I recall the same nonsense with Vista
My system is neither ancient...which I explained already...
the assumptions some of you people come up with are quite something
I also run Ubuntu, FBSD 6, 7, 8. MS shill? No, Im someone who recognizes a crappy OS for what it is.

Win7 64 pro puked on my forensics software....
Win XP 64 pro.......it runs flawlessly
and I have the lastest release of my forensics software
Then your forensics software isnt very good if it has no support for the current or previous operating system on which it runs.

What too many of you fail to realize is that a lot of people are still using and prefer XP64 pro over both Vista 64 and Win 7 64 bit systems
they besides me had unresolvable issues which included complete system crashes
Yes, I still prefer to run FBSD 6 on my home server too, even though thats a very old release. I do it because the hardware is old and has issues with FBSD 7 and 8.

You say you have a new-ish system, which means Win Vista and 7 should work. If they do not, then you do _not_ have a 'new-ish' system. Either that, or you have hardware problems.

The only real downside was drivers with XP 64 pro for a while and with Win 7 64 bit out there
a lot of drivers are compatible and being upgraded to include Win XP 64
Printers were the worst
I've just added a big new Canon printer....XP 64 drivers...no problem.
Its an even bigger problem considering that XP is past end-of-life with MS, which means its a dead OS. Any drivers that work on it are more coincidental than purposeful.

In effect you are still using Win 7, because without it, you'd be left driverless for your XP install.

My system boots in 24 sec and the anti-virus is loaded along with some other programs running in the background
The issues I found in Win 7 64 pro were unresolvable...imo...that means the OS is still crap

If my only downside was not having this game.....that's no downside at all
Microsoft tried to make an idiot proof OS and failed.

manuevering around in it is a pain
having to ask questions to get an answer to find something in the system is idiotic
and their desktop schemes 11 months ago were crap.....

Even when they premiered Win 7, they boasted a boot of 21 sec....in a blank system
I've got an XP system that does that with everything it has loaded into it
My Win 7 boot time is down to about 19 seconds, this is on a traditional HDD. I am installing an SSD within the month which should get me to oh...4 or 5 seconds?

You should also check out how big your Win 7 install is and how big your XP install is. The fact that Win 7 which is quite a bit larger (lets go with 5x -- my XP installs were about 2GB after a couple months, Win 7 is sitting at 11ish right now) means that it loads that much faster. Yes, true, the kernel size and others has remained fairly similar, but even then, Win 7 is slightly faster loading than XP in apples-to-apples comparison.

There is no such thing as idiot-proof operating systems. Once you give someone root access, all your idiot-proofing goes out the window. Therefore, there are no idiot-proof systems, only idiot users.

XP is like a 350 or 454 chevy....they just keep going and going and going
Just like my old '78 3/4 ton GMC I used to pull Fords out of the ditch sideways
which I owned for over 25 years and completely tore down to the frame once
that puppy put 387 to the ground on the dyno and that was before the roller rockers
and with a stick I still got 20 mpg on the highway
sure I tweaked it....it wasn't until I got tired of climbing in and out of it
that I switched to a newer 3/4 Suburban with a 6.0 and chipped it
and now I pull a trailer when I need to haul something
No operating system is like that. Every one of them eventually becomes obsolete. So while yes, it may keep going and going and going, it does not mean it should.

Windows next new operating system is due out in a year or so....after it's been out for a year
then they might have an OS that's worth a crap again
Its likely next fall, which would put it at 2 years. Considering that Ubuntu has a new version every 6 months, Windows is running a little slow on the development.

In the meantime....this system is just fine....sure my vid card only has a gb on it and my system only has 8gb of ram with a nice quad core Phenom...not the newest 6 core mind you
but certainly good enough to run what I have and more than enough raw power to run these games
Yeah, and on Win 7, it will run just as well. Heck, you might even get some of those nice DX 10 and 11 effects

but upgrading to a piece of crap OS...is not an upgrade
No, instead your downgrade to...

Like I said....I got the answers needed elsewhere from others who are using Win XP 64 pro
and are as happy as myself
and wouldn't let go of the dependability

and I still have 5 full complete installs of Win7 pro 64 that are currently sitting on the shelf
Microsoft wouldn't be coming out with a new OS if Win7 was all that

and when people who work for & actually program for Microsoft use XP64 pro on their personal systems because they find it more reliable....that's telling in and of itself
That perhaps if they didn't work for MS, Windows might be a better operating system? Why yes, I do agree.

MS is also a business, they're releasing a new OS because they want to make money. And by your example, XP x64 was utter crap too! Near as bad as Windows ME! After all, if how much publicity an OS gets and how soon after its release it is replaced is indication of quality then XP x64 did suck.

no thanks....
If it wouldn't have worked....I would've skipped even buying any of these games
because I need dependability for the software I use to make a living
and it runs just fine and dandy in XP64 pro and pays the bills
Fine, if it pays the bills and it works, then use it. Little other justification to though.

buying any Win7 64 bit OS is like buying a penny stock....at least 99% of them are scams
and the only way you make money on them is when another retail trader is getting screwed over

Win7 64 bit OS is like buying a Mack truck....they're considered idiot proof
Not the investment or performance of a custom built KW or Peterbuilt

No wonder Playstations, Xboxes, and Wii's have taken over gaming

thanks, but no thanks

I have had Win 7 for almost 2 years now. I have had no issues with it. I know many others that are the same. In fact, most people have had no issues with it.

As for your gaming comment: no, the OS has nothing to do with PC gaming being in 'decline' -- Id be happy to discuss the topic but it is OT in this topic here.

Been building systems for near 10 years. Have run two with XP Pro 32 bit and two with XP Pro x64. I was reluctant to change from Win98SE to XP, but did so. Never entirely trusted MS either, but had to in order to play Civ. ;)

Recently, I purchased Civ5. Loaded it onto my gaming rig with XP Pro x64 bit and it crashed, and crashed, and crashed. Couldn't get it to work. Finally, in frustration, got a copy of Win7 Ultimate (at a great price). Reloaded my system and, viola, Civ5 ran without so much as a hiccup. Have been very please with Win7 thus far and have no issues with any software compatibility with my older games. Not sure why you have had issues with crashes, but Win7 has been rock solid for me no matter what I have thrown at it.

As with the others, I recommend trying to figure out why Win7 will not work. My guess, from years of working with systems, is that it is a driver issue.

Whatever you decide, wish you good luck with your system. :)

chaczar, you have a serious hardware problem on your system somewhere. XP tends to ignore a lot of stuff that it shouldn't. By the way, your forensics software is a piece of junk. Unless it deeply integrates with Windows somewhere, it shouldn't even need a new version to work with Windows 7; the fact that it doesn't means that it was badly programmed and didn't follow the Windows API. At the very least the company should put out a new version if it doesn't work, but they failed to even do that. You should be complaining to the company that made the software, not Microsoft.

And I can't see how you could have thought that we would tell you "yeah, windows 7 sucks because it isn't XP."

Been building systems for near 10 years. Have run two with XP Pro 32 bit and two with XP Pro x64. I was reluctant to change from Win98SE to XP, but did so. Never entirely trusted MS either, but had to in order to play Civ. ;)

Recently, I purchased Civ5. Loaded it onto my gaming rig with XP Pro x64 bit and it crashed, and crashed, and crashed. Couldn't get it to work. Finally, in frustration, got a copy of Win7 Ultimate (at a great price). Reloaded my system and, viola, Civ5 ran without so much as a hiccup. Have been very please with Win7 thus far and have no issues with any software compatibility with my older games. Not sure why you have had issues with crashes, but Win7 has been rock solid for me no matter what I have thrown at it.

As with the others, I recommend trying to figure out why Win7 will not work. My guess, from years of working with systems, is that it is a driver issue.

Whatever you decide, wish you good luck with your system. :)

I've been building since about '94....enjoyed a Boot subscription which morphed into
a Maximum PC one
still a decent rag of sorts, it just gave CIV 5 a pretty good review

I had no bangs in this system when I had Win7 64 pro on it
and with WHQL certified drivers, I doubt it was a driver issue
I stayed away from a hardware upgrade that was so new I'd have issues
been there done that
I went with a bulletproof, tried and tested approach
Asus M3A78 pro mobo which the previous poster thinks is ancient
and who obviously ran a beta version of Win 7 unless he forgot when it actually came on the market
I bought my 5 copies of Win7 64 pro in Dec after it hit the market commercially
ran it on 5 new upgrade builds...one for me and 4 for clients
and then went through 3 weeks of hell......didn't have a single driver issue on any of them
recycled the mice and keyboards and a couple of the sound cards
otherwise, everything else was new including oversized solid dependable powersupplies
all of them passed the burn in with flying colors
Stayed away from the solid state drives....the issues there are not completely resolved
dropped doing a raid array and went with a simple and separate main and backup drive

Loaded the OS on 5 of them and thought ok this is cool...drivers were picked up
and installed tickety boo....
For a brief time....I was estatic...thought the OS rocked....
burned them all in....and then started loading their various softwares and mine
and that's when it went to crap starting with the anti-virus

It was like Jesus K-rist! will nothing work on this stinking OS?
It was like marrying your worst nightmare of a woman....
a Jekyl and Hyde she monster
and then moving around in it while working to problem solve
by the end of that 3 weeks, I hated it.
Just when it looked like I had the bugs worked out
something that previously worked ...wouldn't
only one had a hardware issue and that was a WD hd that suddenly failed
It had passed the burn in....but puked after a week
replaced it and that was resolved...

With XP64pro the only bang I had was the ACPI\ATK0110 one and that's been fixed

Win 7 64 bit OS's have issues running some 32 bit programs and still does...
and is unsupported by various software makers.
This is a fact that the kool aid drinkers won't accept
The CIA & the FBI won't use a Win 7 64 bit OS because some of their forensic software completely crashes the system

XP had a decent 10 yr run.....I replace/rebuild about every 3 yrs on average
though some clients have been stubborn because of cost
but once they get a new system and it's always blazing compared to the old
they're happy...

Some are on Win 7 32 bit & for them it's a love hate relationship
Some had me take them back to XP 32 bit with SP3 and they're happy again

95, 98, 98SE, Millenium, XP.....there were always a few issues, but always resolved them

Never had issues like I ran into with Win 7 64 pro that I couldn't resolve
even when going through the whiz bang period where everyone wanted the biggest and fastest
and 30 days later....it wouldn't be the fastest anymore....
and that was after you'd just get everything running smooth and not have any drivers issues
with that previous latest & fastest video card they just had to have

Vista...good god...what a mess....and one I passed on
too many software compatibility issues
one that was easily fixed by sticking with a XP system
I had hoped by Win7 they had the bugs worked out
and moved forward only to end up hating it

Keep trying to get away from building systems since have only done it to keep
some of my small business clients happy....succeeded for a short while when Vista
hit the scene, had a good company that would build to spec and deliver
and every client either stayed with XP or went back to it

A lot of people that are 40-60 that were happy with a XP system
they hate Win 7....
these are people that have $ to spend & MS has ticked them off
they're tired of constant upgrades between hardware, OS's, and software
A lot finally became happy with XP....Vista ticked them off
Win 7 hasn't earned their trust either

I'm not looking forward to seeing 128-256-512-1024 bit processors and the subsequent OS's
My guess is when we make those particular hardware advances
We'll probably see a new OS rise up and dethrone Microsoft since MS is obviously on the wrong track
Bill Gates moved on because he saw the writing on the wall
and the new CEO is on the wrong track, imo
PC games once helped drive the PC revolution
Hardware advances are what's going to drive us to a new OS

People want things to be simple....Chrome's success is an example
but what the heck....according to some....all my computer needs to do
is give good service thru Dec 2012
because then the world is going to end and Win 7 won't matter

I pretty much work on the Fool me once, Shame on you,
Fool me twice, shame on me principle

So I went backwards to XP64 pro since that's what a lot of others who had a similar experience with Win 7 64 bit os did.....
and XP 32 pro with SP 3 for those who were happy with it

I'm sure we'll all be fine for the next 2 or so years when it'll be time for a hardware upgrade again
we may have to pass on a PC game or two
but it's a lot more fun to sit back in your lazy boy and play a game with say a PS3
on a 50+" Plasma or LCD tv with a remote controller
than to sit at a desk with a PC game

I'll probably just do CIV 3 & 4 for now
something to do in between compiling data and other work

I might get a bug up my arse and build a new unit with 4 processors and multiple vid cards and enough ram to stagger even my imagination and put a giant LCD on the wall for fun when I move to my new office
and see how Win 7 Ultimate does with it just for fun

but it's more likely I'll get a barrel & bolt kit for my Windrunner in .416 Barrett and set up to reload for it

I'm kinda over farting around with PCs

thanks for the decent reply though

LOL! This is one the worst assumptions I've seen to date and so wrong that it's hysterical.
Thanks for the laugh.

and for the record....look at the thread title...There's a request to resolve one issue
and the koolaid drinkers say switch to something that's a failure...a complete joke of an OS made for monkeys imo

My forensics software is the best there is....not only does it cost more than your PC
it absolutely rocks.

a hardware problem? LOL! Running strong since Feb. 2010.

considering all if replies in their entirety and the complete disregard of stating on topic,
except to say....Win 7 to the moon! Wow Shazam type vernacular...
I may just pass on CIV completely
sooner or later, I'm sure I would have another question
and this vitriole is just not worth my time.
It's almost as bad as a usenet board

This has been for the most part like listening to Multi-tool lovers that believe they can rebuild an engine with one
or with a tool kit from Harbor Freight

Thanks....but I'll stick with my Mac, Matco, & Snapon tools and Win XP 64 pro
Remember....if it ain't broke....don't fix it.

and last but not least....here you go:
PLONK!

LOL!
Thanks for the laugh.

chaczar, you have a serious hardware problem on your system somewhere. XP tends to ignore a lot of stuff that it shouldn't. By the way, your forensics software is a piece of junk. Unless it deeply integrates with Windows somewhere, it shouldn't even need a new version to work with Windows 7; the fact that it doesn't means that it was badly programmed and didn't follow the Windows API. At the very least the company should put out a new version if it doesn't work, but they failed to even do that. You should be complaining to the company that made the software, not Microsoft.

And I can't see how you could have thought that we would tell you "yeah, windows 7 sucks because it isn't XP."

LOL! This is one the worst assumptions I've seen to date and so wrong that it's hysterical.
Thanks for the laugh.

and for the record....look at the thread title...There's a request to resolve one issue
and the koolaid drinkers say switch to something that's a failure...a complete joke of an OS made for monkeys imo

My forensics software is the best there is....not only does it cost more than your PC
it absolutely rocks.

a hardware problem? LOL! Running strong since Feb. 2010.

considering all if replies in their entirety and the complete disregard of stating on topic,
except to say....Win 7 to the moon! Wow Shazam type vernacular...
I may just pass on CIV completely
sooner or later, I'm sure I would have another question
and this vitriole is just not worth my time.
It's almost as bad as a usenet board

This has been for the most part like listening to Multi-tool lovers that believe they can rebuild an engine with one
or with a tool kit from Harbor Freight

Thanks....but I'll stick with my Mac, Matco, & Snapon tools and Win XP 64 pro
Remember....if it ain't broke....don't fix it.

and last but not least....here you go:
PLONK!

LOL!
Thanks for the laugh.

Look, you've been told by multiple people that we think that sticking with XP x64 is a bad idea, especially for future proofing. Some of these people, such as Speedo, do this kind of stuff for a living, so we know quite well what we're talking about.

If you choose to ignore that, fine, but please don't keep spouting nonsense and useless (and incorrect) analogies. Its your choice to stick to an obsolete system, maybe even one that never had much support, but then, don't expect all too much from it, and from the community (which has told you better)

Look, you've been told by multiple people that we think that sticking with XP x64 is a bad idea, especially for future proofing. Some of these people, such as Speedo, do this kind of stuff for a living, so we know quite well what we're talking about.

If you choose to ignore that, fine, but please don't keep spouting nonsense and useless (and incorrect) analogies. Its your choice to stick to an obsolete system, maybe even one that never had much support, but then, don't expect all too much from it, and from the community (which has told you better)

I said up front I wasn't going to go to Win 7 64 pro as I had already been there, so in my mind, it's rather ridiculous when that's the only answer.
Furthermore, I actually got the answer to my question elsewhere
and the answers were direct and to the point.

Here's an analogy: Guy goes to a shop with a classic '57 Chevy...he has carb problems
Guy says: can you put a carb kit in this for me, I don't have the time to do it myself.
Mechanic says: you have to buy a new Chevy with fuel injection.
Guy says, I just want you to put in a carb kit.
Mechanic says your car is obsolete. I'm a certified Chevy Mechanic and I and ALL other Chevy mechanics are telling you as a community of mechanics to just buy a new car.

Customer leaves, goes around the corner in the same building to the parts dept, buys a carb kit and puts it in himself.

I said numerous times, if upgrading to Win 7 64 pro is my only option in your opinions
to run these games, then I'll pass on them.

Because otherwise....I'm doing just fine with what I have.

A correct response from any of you IF you actually knew what you were talking about would've been to say....We've tried it...doesn't work on that OS.

But since this would be WRONG as I've learned elsewhere where I actually got responses that were direct and to the point......
Thanks for nothing.
I'll put in the carb kit myself thank you.

PLONK!

There's a crucial difference between cars and operating systems. Cars are supported indefinitely. Operating systems are not.

And yes, you computer does have issues, either hardware or software. XP is just more forgiving of errors (which is actually a really bad thing, as you want to know about an error as soon as possible rather than have strange stuff happen for no reason).

You strike me as someone who is unwilling to accept change. If that is the case, then please throw out your computer and never go near one again. You're going to have to learn to accept change and be willing to upgrade if you want to get anywhere with a computer.

And the reason XP lasted so long was not because it was good. It's because Microsoft had to restart Vista development from scratch due to an issue they were having about three years after XP launched. Vista's development was also slowed by XP SP2, which was forced by slammer worm exploiting XP's lack of security. In fact, XP was the least secure OS Microsoft ever made, and it still sucks from a security standpoint (though since the release of SP2 it probably beats the 9x versions).

There's a crucial difference between cars and operating systems. Cars are supported indefinitely. Operating systems are not.

And yes, you computer does have issues, either hardware or software. XP is just more forgiving of errors (which is actually a really bad thing, as you want to know about an error as soon as possible rather than have strange stuff happen for no reason).

You strike me as someone who is unwilling to accept change. If that is the case, then please throw out your computer and never go near one again. You're going to have to learn to accept change and be willing to upgrade if you want to get anywhere with a computer.

And the reason XP lasted so long was not because it was good. It's because Microsoft had to restart Vista development from scratch due to an issue they were having about three years after XP launched. Vista's development was also slowed by XP SP2, which was forced by slammer worm exploiting XP's lack of security. In fact, XP was the least secure OS Microsoft ever made, and it still sucks from a security standpoint (though since the release of SP2 it probably beats the 9x versions).

No it doesn't have any issues....
My start of this thread was to ask about any known issues and get assistance
Silly me, but now I know.

All I have to do is throw out the idea of buying and playing any CIV games if I didn't find the solutions elsewhere.

This unit and the others I've built are doing just fine
never been hacked or infected since '92

If you were a gearhead, you'd also know that cars are NOT supported indefinitely.

Like I said previously....Throwing out CIV games and not looking back is the easiest solution if I didn't find solutions elsewhere where some folks with real experience actually had straight forward answers and solutions and they LOVE playing it on their Win XP 64 pro systems.

Imo, it's just driving some of you crazy because I did get assistance elsewhere
and not ONE of you actually had a real solution to the question except to suggest like a parts changer mechanic I change to an OS made for monkeys.

A real mechanic solves problems and only moves on to something new when there is no reasonable solution.

I'll stick with the geeks that said they actually play Civ 3,4, & 5 on XP 64 pro and are having a good time and run with their actual solutions.

Win 7 64 pro hope and change is like Obama's hope and change.....a plague

now all the quitters and OS changers may have the last word since it's obviously not going to be worthwhile.

Later.

"It had problems installing, eventually leading to me having to delete my user account, because it had ruined all of my files, and after transferring it, you can't play "Beyond The Sword" or "Warlords". I am using a brand-new computer, running on windows 7 64-bit. Colonization is good, which is why I gave it 3 stars, but I can get that separately for about 8 dollars. DO NOT BUY!"

from July 4 2010.......

CIV IV from a Win 7 64 bit user........uh huh......

I also ran across another user of Win 7 64 bit that had issues with the patches but not with XP 64 pro.
That was interesting.

In looking around, Civ III, IV, & V look like the way to go.
The Games look awesome....right up my alley

SO, has anyone out there played any or all of these 3 games on a Win XP 64 Pro system?

I played Civ III and Civ IV and i don't remember having to do anything special to get them working on XP x64.

I also remember playing lots of Hearts of Iron 2, Victoria: Revolutions and Europa Universalis II back then so those game will surely work too.

Actually i cant remember any specific game not working because of XP x64

Tons of software didn't work and getting drivers was hell (to make matters worse it was an ASUS Laptop i was using)

Fëanor;9956051 said:
I played Civ III and Civ IV and i don't remember having to do anything special to get them working on XP x64.

I also remember playing lots of Hearts of Iron 2, Victoria: Revolutions and Europa Universalis II back then so those game will surely work too.

Actually i cant remember any specific game not working because of XP x64

Tons of software didn't work and getting drivers was hell (to make matters worse it was an ASUS Laptop i was using)

Thank you.
Drivers were a pain. The trick I learned was before getting hardware, make sure I had the drivers and talked with some other folks who were running the same OS
Printer drivers were the biggest pain. I actually had to tweak a printer driver and made it work for a client's printer that wanted XP 64 pro as an OS. I just used one of my systems as test subject and got his printer to work. He's been happy ever since but I told him if he ever changed his printer out, to talk with me first and I would find him one that would make both him and me happy or he would be on his own. Tweaking drivers is a royal PIA, imo.

Some Asus products are a PIA with XP 64 pro and some aren't.
I seem to recall there were some bios updates that resolved some of them.

I know some have had software issues, but I haven't because I avoided software that had known issues like Nero 5 etc. It was easy enough to get a newer version that works.

Other software has been an unexpected surprise with how well it's worked.
Games are and always have been their own special breed with their own problems due to the engines, etc.

The only thing I've noticed with some older games I played around with just to see how they'd do is that they can be slow to load initially, but then they just go along just fine. Risk II takes 1 or 2 minutes to load on XP 64 pro for some odd reason. It's the only one that does this on my system. It plays just fine though once loaded. In fact it's a little zippier than it was on XP. The wait is just so noticeable on loading because I'm so used to opening a program and wham, it's there.

I just decided to try CIV II for the heck of it and Civ IV. If they both work fine, which they should, they'll probably be enough for me until I build my next system.
I actually just bought them a few minutes ago.

My ATI Radeon card may give me some trouble since there's been some issues.
However, Nov 17th, Windows released yet another new and improved driver for WIN XP 64 pro WHQL that might make the difference. I believe they also did one for Win 7 64 bit systems as well....so I'm guessing the bug is fixed...I'll find out.
It was working just fine before this new driver update as it was.

I like the idea of turning the timer off and taking a year or so to play it a little at a time. I've managed to avoid game addiction since around 2000. I may regret doing this if these games are as addictive as some are indicating.

I'm trying CIV II just to see how it does and to get an introduction to these games.
From what I've read, a lot of people liked it. Should be nice slow intro to them which is good since I'll be playing it piecemeal over time.

Thanks again for the reply...:king:

"It had problems installing, eventually leading to me having to delete my user account, because it had ruined all of my files, and after transferring it, you can't play "Beyond The Sword" or "Warlords". I am using a brand-new computer, running on windows 7 64-bit. Colonization is good, which is why I gave it 3 stars, but I can get that separately for about 8 dollars. DO NOT BUY!"

from July 4 2010.......

CIV IV from a Win 7 64 bit user........uh huh......

I also ran across another user of Win 7 64 bit that had issues with the patches but not with XP 64 pro.
That was interesting.

Which is an extremely isolated case. Civ 4 runs better for me on Win 7 than on XP. If we're gonna go with just anecdotal evidence then there you go.

Thank you.
Drivers were a pain. The trick I learned was before getting hardware, make sure I had the drivers and talked with some other folks who were running the same OS
Printer drivers were the biggest pain. I actually had to tweak a printer driver and made it work for a client's printer that wanted XP 64 pro as an OS. I just used one of my systems as test subject and got his printer to work. He's been happy ever since but I told him if he ever changed his printer out, to talk with me first and I would find him one that would make both him and me happy or he would be on his own. Tweaking drivers is a royal PIA, imo.

See, I never had to do that with Win 7. When I built my system, I chose my parts based on performance, price, maybe even looks, but never on whether or not there were drivers available. If drivers are your main criteria, might as well build a Hackintosh.

I would also like to add -- people like you are why there are problems with newer OS's. MS has to build in backwards compatibility, support for old software and all this other junk that they do not need to put it were it not for the users that refuse to upgrade.

Looks like I'm late to this thread, and I haven't read all the walls of text, but I ran XP Pro 64-bit for 3-4 months last year, and played Civilization III on it with no problems at all. Eventually I switched back to XP 32-bit because I didn't find XP 64-bit drivers for a few relatively minor components of my laptop (such as the SD card reader) which I eventually needed, but gaming-wise I didn't run into any problems. I didn't play any of the other Civ games while I ran XP 64-bit.

I don't recall having any other software issues with XP 64-bit, either (aside from the few drivers I couldn't find), but I didn't play that many games in that timeframe. Mainly Civ3 and Call of Duty 4.

My hardware is significantly different, though - an nVIDIA 8600M GT, a Core 2 Duo, and SigmaTel audio, with 4 GB of RAM.

Top Bottom