1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

xUPT

Discussion in 'Rise from Erebus Modmod' started by Valkrionn, May 31, 2010.

?

Should we merge the (optional!) xUPT mechanic?

1. Yes!

73.9%
  2. No!

11.8%
  3. I don't care!

4.3%
  4. PIE!!!

9.9%
  1. Opera

Opera Deity

Can't wait to try it :)

2. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

It would not be. Maybe in AND, but certainly not in RifE. You simply promote to Mountaineering, or use waterwalking units, or flying units (several types of which can be captured from animals), and so on.

There is always a way in RifE.

3. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

While you can promote to Mountaineering in AND too, I was just worried you could have uncaptureable cities, which would spoil an otherwise perfect game.

4. Valkrionn

I agree with you about that. Just saying that RifE gives many different options for those situations. ;)

5. Afforess

Okay good. I ask because I care. ;)
    (And because your SVN is private so I can't read the code...)

6. Valkrionn

I can PM it to you if you'd like.

7. Afforess

Same thing really. And yes, please. ;)

8. Valkrionn

9. Afforess

Totally understand.

10. odalrick

odalrick Emperor

I don't buy this myth of an uncrackable city, even if you cannot attack with more than (let say) five units each turn and cities can contain 30 units.

First of all, the attackers will be heavy hitters, Heroes and high experience units. Most of the defenders will be low level chaff.

Secondly, Marksmen can finish off the wounded units.

Thirdly, there is no way a single city can produce replacements for the losses it will suffer. Meanwhile the attacker can replenish troops from the entire rest of the civilization.

And this assumes there is a hard limit of 5 attacks into a square per turn. xUPT has no such hard limit, any unit that can move in, attack and move out again can attack "for free". In favourable situations all that is needed is 3:move:, easily achieved with Mobility + Haste. To make a ranged attack all you need is 2:move:. Any unit that dies in the attack takes no space and obviously summons can be deleted if they survive.

11. Afforess

Easier said than done.

And why are we all assuming the city that only has one access will be the last city either? What if there was only one way through a mountain pass, and the city blocked the entrance, and a large civilization was on the other side. Then they could defend it indefinitely. I smell a scenario idea...

12. Cyrusfan

Cyrusfan King

If a city has only one access, that huge civ is on the same side as the access, which means we've already crushed it, or there's some wierd cul-de-sac of mountains that we're going around anyway, and may as well pick the easier fruit first.

13. Afforess

No,

Assume a impenetrable mountain range cuts the map in two. There is only one pass to cross into the other side, and it is guarded by a heavily defended, large city, with only one access tile in front, and one escape, in the back. Behind the city is a large civilization, and in front, is your civilization. The only way to win is to capture the mountain pass city from the defenders, but with xUPT, you can only field 5 units in the tile directly adjacent to the city, while the city holds 10 strong, heavily promoted defenders, with reinforcements waiting in the mountain pass, should the city fall.

14. lemonjelly

lemonjelly Modding For Ethne

Go Apprenticeship and other XP giving things, and promote units to Mountaneering to get over the mountain and attack from all angles?

15. Valkrionn

In any case.... That won't happen on any supported map. It could happen on the Erebus map, but it is NOT supported, NOT recommended, and by default will not be available (but you can easily activate it using the launcher, if you so choose).

16. Afforess

I'm not trying to poke holes in xUPT (after all, I was the one who modded it first :p)
    I was just coming up with a scenario idea. Anyway, conceivably, there could be a spell that makes it so even mountaineering units can't climb the mountains. It's all conjecture though.

17. lemonjelly

lemonjelly Modding For Ethne

Yeah, I know, just wanted to show that there are ways around that :p

But, it would make a really, really cool scenario :D

18. odalrick

odalrick Emperor

Alright it might be possible to make a super defensible city, if you give up most of the working tiles of the city. And mod the game to make truly impassable terrain. And have a suspiciously unassailable empire for backup. At least reinforcements could easily be delivered via gate.

19. Cyrusfan

Cyrusfan King

Oh, well in that case maybe you could use the hell version of desert rather than mountains. Of course if it was an Infernal city, there's no real need for the "pass."

20. Valkrionn

Yes, as a scenario it would be possible. :lol:

Actually, the Sidar could have something close, with their Mist, but it can be cleared by Air 1 adepts, if just temporarily. :p