1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

xUPT

Discussion in 'Rise from Erebus Modmod' started by Valkrionn, May 31, 2010.

?

Should we merge the (optional!) xUPT mechanic?

1. Yes!

73.9%
  2. No!

11.8%
  3. I don't care!

4.3%
  4. PIE!!!

9.9%
  1. Calavente

Calavente Richard's voice

but could not pass through the stack that is between it and the city :D, save when the inbetween stack is reduced in strength
    + what if there are forested-hills/jungle-hill ? (think elven city / Mazalt).. 3mvt points, cannot pass on it and attack on the same turn.

I did not say it was impossible, just, more difficult that it already is.

2. Ghostslayer

Ghostslayer Chieftain

Maybe 12 is too low. Should be 15 or 20... Anyway for balance reasons, a large city should be much more difficult to conquer, while a 1 pop city should be really easier. It is already because of the culture effect, but having a larger number of defenders would make sense.

Good point. Does the limit apply to stack of units at the end of the turn, or should the traversal of a complete stack be impossible? I think the first solution should be better.

3. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

A larger city has a larger production capacity and can replace losses easier. Unless its a border city (in which case you've should've had units on the border anyway), an approaching army usually has to march through the country and if if you have defender units in hills, forests, and forts, then an approaching army should be shredded before the army reaches your larger city.

Also, the defender bonus+defensive buildings should be more than enough. After all, a well-defended city with powerful defensive units, even at the limit, can take a while to crack (I know this from playing the feature in another mod) unless you bring A.) Siege units and B.) Surround cities and then C.) Cut the city off from the rest of the country. In any case, the enemy would have to surround your normally high-production city (which I assume is true for most high pop cities) or have a pretty mighty tech lead on you to break the city open on one blow and you usually have time to send a relief.

While there should probably be more units in a city than on the field at a time (probably, I personally don't like that part), the number of units that are allowed to be garrisoned in the city should be static across the board.

Which stops turtling and fantasy Stalingrads.

On the other hand, terrain seriously affects invasion plans. For instance, today I was going to take a barb city at the tip of a peninsula but there's a mountain range that blocks a land route to it so I had to land forces on the only two possible tiles in that I could land on (accidentally landed on spearmen in forests which took out a ships worth of war elephants and horse archers) but I landed and since there was a tile limit, I could only bring to bear a certain amount of arms on the city which had archers and spearmen.

Long story short, took a few more turns to take down the city that didn't even have a cultural defensive modifer or terrain advantage (built on grasslands!).

The former. Say that you have a stack of 3 and a stack of 5 and the limit is 6. When you try to move the 3 through the 5, only one will go through at a time.

4. Teodosio

Teodosio Warlord

Hello all, I am a long time Fall from Heaven player. I have ejoyed much Rise of Mankind lately, with A New Dawn modmod using xUPT. I was wondering: is xUPT included in RifE 1.23? I installed the mod but wasn't able to find xUPT. Perhaps it will be included in RifE 1.3?
    Thanks for any info, keep up the good work with this wonderful mod!:)

5. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

No it's not. Rife is in what I would call "Development Hell".

6. Opera

Opera Deity

Heh, not that much of a hell! Just long. Things are going on smoothly.

7. Afforess

Oh come on. It's been months since the last patch. The old version is buggy. You guys need to work out a firm development schedule and move back some of your ideas for later versions. I'm sure most players here would be happier if 1.3 was released next week, even if a few features got pushed back.

If your older version had better support and wasn't buggy, this wouldn't be as much of an issue. But the drought of patches AND long dev time is a killer.

8. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

It will be in a small patch for 1.3, we aren't pushing development back any further.

I agree, and we already have a firm development schedule. The biggest issue is that for 1.3, it's mostly just me working on it (until the very end, at least, when the others started actively working on it. :goodjob:), and it has changes for virtually everything. It's a big addition; No other version will be as... unfocused... as this one has been.

And next week should be the latest it will come out.

9. arcticnightwolf

arcticnightwolf Emperor

10. Valkrionn

haha I hope not. All that's left really is the Barbs. Which will MOSTLY be xml work.

11. Jester Fool

Jester Fool Emperor

12. Grey Fox

Grey Fox Master of Points

Yes we could have done this much better, but real life has gotten in the way. We've done a lot of organizing and we have a development schedule like Valkrionn says. We would probably have released 1.3 earlier if we could, but the most important part of it is not finished yet. We even have a headstart on 1.4 atm.

We have done our best to keep people interested in our work in the meantime, created a Blog in the process and Valkrionn is a mean posting machine answering every question in the forum. Valkrionn reads everything, in, I think, all FfH related forums. And we even created a Wiki and for the next version we will have a Launcher where you can enable and disable modules before you start the game among other things. And our team has grown to 7 active members as well as a staff of interns who do various work themselves with a dedicated group of testers that have been through over 60 revisions of 1.3 to this date.

And I'm gonna quote Valkrionn here;
    That is indeed our goal for future patches. We will try our best not to let any patches become what 1.3 have become.

Hopefully our players will enjoy the work we have put into 1.3

13. Mercutio46

Mercutio46 Chieftain

I don't think anyone wants to sound ungrateful for the awesome amount of work I'm sure you have all put in - I guess it's just been the months of "1.3 will fix this" that has worn some of us down somewhat . . .

14. Cyrusfan

Cyrusfan King

You have interns? Wow!

When 1.3 comes out (at latest next week) will that be download or torrent? Torrent seems to be popular among the modders around civfanatics, but many of us can't/won't use them.

15. Grey Fox

Grey Fox Master of Points

It's gonna be download like before, but it might be torrent as well, but I doubt it. (Anyone with a full download can set it up if they like though)

16. Afforess

I already have someone who made me one of those... I just never got around to using it. I can give you a copy.

17. Valkrionn

Ours is done. And is far more than just a launcher; Allows map activation, module activation, editing the ini, launching the mod, going to our website, and even pulls our most recent blog posts.

By 'we will have' he simply meant it would be in 1.3, not that it is yet to be finished.

18. Afforess

Nice. What language did you write yours in?

19. Valkrionn

Would have to ask ArcticNightWolf, the developer, to make sure... But I believe C#. He also wrote a simple PediaReader program that outputs the xml data of the mod; Main reason we've been using it is the Wiki. Mostly because it allows you to easily jump between related entries (Unit and the promos it starts with, for example), unlike the basic xml files, and also allows you to easily copy tet, unlike the in-game pedia.

That program can be launched from the Launcher as well.

20. arcticnightwolf

arcticnightwolf Emperor

Valky is right - c# ... it's already finished ... kinda - we still have discussion about layout :D