Yet another GDC sneak preview

mjs0

The 4th X
My google alerts told me about another preview of Civ5 at:

www.TheKartel.com

As best I can tell there are no earth shattering revelations here, in fact all I got from it were some cosmetics and a few things that had been implied elsewhere but that I had not seen spelled out as clearly:

• "city-states can help you in multiple ways depending on their own strengths, such as donating troops or food stores."
  • "Combat is not always resolved in death, though; the loser may limp away badly damaged."
  • "Units still have one strength rating, and receive terrain and promotion bonuses. The promotions are supposed to be more unique this time around, not just numerical upgrades. The handy battle-odds calculator is still here, but prettier."
  • "the build menu is thankfully separated into buildings and units -- no more scrolling through all of one to get to the other."
  • "The game engine used in Civ V has been built from the ground up, but still boasts the straightforward python xml scripting and customization."
  • "Painfully to both us and the presenters, the preview left questions unanswered. We could tell Dennis Shirk wanted to go on about religion, civics, wonders, and the tech tree, but unfortunately he couldn’t tell more."
I was actually impressed with the extra attention to details in this review, I felt like the reviewer really knew the genre and Civ in particular.

I guess the most earth shattering thing here is that units can limp out of the combat instead of "there can be only one" syndrom of Civ games so far. That might work not so good...

Top Bottom