Preview Thread: DaNES II: In Search of a Decent Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dachs

Hero of the Soviet Union
DaNES II - Title TBD

This is a preview thread for a NES I intend to run starting next Wednesday. Stats, rules, and so forth have been developed in the NES dev thread, and are available to peruse below. The primary function of this thread, though, isn't to drum up enthusiasm (though that'd be great :D) but instead to serve as a sort of last stage of editing for the stats and rules (am I missing anything? are there exploitable loopholes? did I misspell anything important? and so on and so forth) and to serve as a place where people can apply for states to play in the NES itself.

Applications are going to be the way to do things because I know I get pissed whenever I get beaten to the punch just because I had class, work, or because I lived in a wonky time zone. That kind of arbitrariness never really cut it for me. So I'm going to post the stats. In the stats, most countries' names are bolded, and some aren't. The bolded ones are ones that are open for applications. Just post and tell me your first, second, and third choices, and gimme a rundown of what you tend to be good at in NESing (research? military stuff? writing stories? political intrigue? coalition-building?) and a short CV of all the awesome stuff you've done in other NESes.

It also wouldn't hurt if you told me your Cunning Plans for the countries you want to play as. Where you intend to take your people, and so forth. Obviously you wouldn't want to put that in the thread; just PM me, or tell me via IRC, or something. This is for the dual purpose of getting to know the players and their play style better (so I can make a more informed decision about who'll be playing what) and to make sure nobody's planning on doing something really insane, or basing their plans off of a false understanding of the setting.

Next Tuesday, I'll post in this thread and let everybody know who's playing what, and on Wednesday the NES will start.

Please don't post until I've got the stats up. :)
Spoiler rules :
Introduction

This is a NES, set in the Eastern Hemisphere of an Earth quite different from our own, still in the throes of the great era of migrations. In the Mediterranean, the Roman hegemony never occurred, and was stillborn at the hands of a powerful Seleukid Empire, which in its own turn slowly broke apart, while at the same time the faith of the Holy Wisdom spread throughout Southwest Asia and the Mediterranean. Gaelic civilization dominated Western Europe, in its various forms, until the great migration era, as Germanic and even Iranian peoples began to settle in large numbers. China, savaged by waves of steppe invaders, has fallen into the period of the Five Dynasties after the death of the Han state. And India, the cultural beacon for most of Southeast Asia, is increasingly wracked by fighting between the Pala and Chola states and their respective allies.

In short, it is a wholly different world that meets us in this year, 600 (or, 912 of the Seleukid Era). And it’s going to get a whole lot more unrecognizable now that you’ve all got your hands on it…

The Usual First Post Stuff

Players – anybody can join, provided that you send orders and that they are on time. All powers are available by application; that is, provide me with a brief CV in the thread, telling me about success/failure in NESes, strengths as a player, that sort of thing. You might also want to tell me what you plan on eventually doing with your state (might be best not to do that in the thread though).

Stories – you can write them, and I recommend doing so if you feel like it or if you have nothing better you want to do, or if you get bitten by a writing bug, or whatever. They may have an effect on the course of the NES, and I’ll incorporate them into the update if I can. Not every story will get a concrete bonus (more on that later).

Orders – above all, orders must be clear, concise, and easy to understand. Depending on who you’re playing and what you’re doing, they might be long, or they might be short, but in all cases save length for the really important stuff. I don’t want to have to wade through paragraphs on what your spies’ passwords are, or what precisely your court ceremonial involves. In countries with representative systems of government, it is highly advisable to take the reactions of the opposing party/parties into account, or even negotiate with the mod (via IRC, PM, or whatever) to ensure the passage of the measures that you want to succeed. In all states, some orders may be deemed objectionable because of the lack of support for a given action; thus, it is also advisable to discuss your justification for your actions. They will all probably be announced, even the ones that people don’t like, but they may have unintended consequences or may be stillborn. And finally, since updates are five years long, you should try to work into your orders an idea of what year certain things should be happening in.

In the event of extenuating circumstances (i.e. something major that wasn’t anticipated by a player’s orders but to which he ought to have the chance to respond) I may also PM a player after the update deadline to ask a question or questions about the response to a given situation. Players will have 24 hours from the time the PM is sent to respond before I make something up for them.

NPCs (Non-Player Controlled entities) – some countries or peoples, deemed by the mod to be insignificant and a possible drain on players, may be permanently NPCed (that is, until we get enough players to make them playable). Said countries will be listed in the stats as such, denoted by unbolded names (playable NPCs and player-controlled states will have bolded names). Since there is nobody to play them, I’ll take charge of them, and I’ll make sure that they aren’t pushovers. Heh heh heh.

Updates – in order to ensure timely updates, all orders will be due on Tuesday nights at midnight, GMT (which works out to 7 PM Tuesday evening on the East Coast of the United States, and frankly, I don’t really give a damn what time it is anywhere else). That way, I can write the update on WedNESday. However, in the event of extenuating circumstances, update times and order deadlines may be changed by the mod; information on the current orders deadline can be found below. In addition, it should be noted that each update covers the period of five years. I will endeavor to award at least one bonus for each update, for perhaps good stories, timely orders, or other things decided by fiat. These will not be the same each update, because my consistency is only rivaled by my knowledge of Chinese and Indian history.

Countries – pick an NPC (not a permanent one) or start a rebellion (please consult me first before starting one, because it’d suck if it got crushed instantly, and that would happen if you don’t pick carefully). If you pick an existing country, make sure to read your state’s background, so you can act in-character and so I don’t get so many questions. I’d also recommend doing at least a little bit of research on the period in real history as well; I changed a lot of stuff, but I didn’t change everything.

Map – this is the “Symphonic Style” Winkel-Tripel projection, not the “Northern Style” because I hate the way that that map shows coastlines. Only the capital city of each country is denoted on the map, partly due to lack of real demographic data and mostly due to laziness. Several steppe confederacies have no capital, because the capital is defined as “whatever yurt the chief/qagan is living in at the time”. Any colored state (unless it’s a perm-NPC) can be taken over by a player, divided by single-pixel black lines. Wars will be shown by shifting a state’s color while keeping the prewar border on the map. Have fair warning, though, that this is not the First World War, and you don’t exactly have troops all along your borders with another state.

Rules

TEMPLATE
Polity Name
Capital:
Ruler/Player: /
Government:
Factions (Confidence/Strength):
Culture:
Army:
Army Quality:
Army Description:
Navy:
Navy Quality:
Income (Raw –Upkeep):
Treasury:
Infrastructure:
Prestige:
Description:

Government:

Funnily enough, this is your system of government. There are a few differing kinds of this from which to choose, though most are monarchical; there are further qualifiers, though. It is a descriptive stat, and includes such tidbits as whether your government is monarchical, the level of centralization, the type of provincial governments, the level of corruption in your bureaucracy – assuming you have one – and so forth. Governments that include a strong republican element, such as Panormos, will need to see players work to get legislation passed. The archontes are not dictators; they cannot get measures passed by fiat. Another thing that would be as ill-advised as attempting to pass your own legislation would be repeated government changes and major reforms, especially if they don’t make any sense at all. (If you’re not sure about this, ask the moderator! He will know the answer.) In addition, decentralized states will often have decreased player control over actions occurring at the lower levels of government.

Factions:

Shamelessly ripped from BirdNES 3, because they’re a really good idea. Their confidence in your rule, on a one to five scale (five being ‘extremely confident’), and their strength, on a one to five scale (five being ‘extremely powerful’) are noted in parentheses next to a brief description of what the faction is. It would be wise to side with one or more of these groups within your state. I strongly doubt that you’ll get anything done without them. Politicking will become a necessity.

Culture:

Herein will be listed major cultural groups within your country along with their strengths, as well as foreign influences and religions and so on. This is obviously an extremely important stat that you can’t influence directly, but many of your actions and those of other players will have an indirect impact on it. It, like the Government statistic, is a descriptive one.

Military:

This is the usual number-based military, divided into infantry, cavalry, and ships. It’s also highly customizable! Each state’s army is discussed in a descriptive stat (appropriately enough titled ‘Army Description’) that breaks down the…breakdown of your troops as well. How much does your army use archers? Are you most proficient with heavy cavalry? This descriptive stat can be changed through military reforms and so forth.

The number shown is the number of troops available to you personally as the ruler. It does not show the number of troops you might be able to levy from the population or the troops your nobility might provide to you in a time of crisis. (Ask me for probable numbers on both of these.) Non-personal troops will be denoted as such in the stats. It should also be noted that fortified area troops, frontier guards, and urban garrisons are also not included in the stats, though they will have an effect on the battlefield. (Ask me for a description of these as well.)

Your army and navy also each have a Quality stat, which is kind of a description of training and weapons quality and leadership all in one abstracted package. Ask me for the amount of money you’ll need to invest to increase it by one level; it varies extensively based on your government, the size of your military, the nature of your military, the type and manner of combat operations going on at the time, and so on. It may decay if your military sits unused for some time, or if you suffer major losses to your trained troops.

Finally, you will have to pay upkeep for your troops. This number increases due to a whole lot of factors, and may decrease due to a whole lot of factors, too numerous to list here. Your upkeep will be by far the largest expenditure in your economy, almost certainly. Hiring soldiers is easy; a signing bonus, perhaps some allowances for arms and armor, and you’re set. Paying their wages every day? Not so much. You have the option of not paying your upkeep either in full or in part, but this will have severe consequences in terms of Quality and deserters. It is ill-advised. For some states (chiefly, nomadic steppe peoples) military upkeep may actually be higher than income; to compensate for this, you’ll need to raid the surrounding regions for stuff with which to pay off your troops. Civilized peoples usually yield more money than uncivilized peoples; ask me about potential targets and whether they will make up the deficit. Raiding will also be a significant part of warfare for more sedentary states, too, but wars tend to be more formal for them.

1,000 infantry = 150 talents
1,000 cavalry = 300 talents
10 ships = 200 talents

Economy

The economic side of things is relatively simple. I give you a number for income, give you another number for upkeep, a third number that subtracts upkeep from income, and a fourth number for the amount of cash you have in your treasury. Pretty simple, right? You can spend this money on virtually anything under the Sun, from spy missions to fortifications to soldiers to ships to temples to bribes to attractive slaves of the opposite sex with which to spend quality time. You can increase this number in many ways – economizing on salaries, conquering new territory, instituting new taxes and duties, confiscating the lands of your nobility, importing more people to increase the area under cultivation, exploiting untapped mineral resources, taking advantage of expanding trade, and the like. I recommend you figure out how to do that.

All money is denoted in terms of the Attic silver talent (talanton). The Attic standard is the standard weight of measurement for the entire Mediterranean and Greek worlds. The talent isn’t actually a coin, but a weight; this weight in silver is equivalent to a certain value in lower denominations, which actually are coined (such as the mina, drachmon, or stater). Talents aren’t coined because they are worth so friggin’ much; one talent could pay a skilled laborer for a decade. (Roughly.) The numbers would get outlandish if any other denomination were used, so we’re sticking with the talents. The Chinese, Indians, and so forth don’t use the Attic standard, but to simplify things the values for everything everywhere will be given on the Attic standard. I recognize that, due to the wonderful problem of varying market basket values, the same number of Attic talents would not purchase equivalent numbers of virtually any good in China and Syria. This problem has been somewhat avoided by inflating or deflating the income and price numbers for all spending and upkeep except for military recruitment for all relevant states.

Infrastructure:

This is a stat represented in self-explanatory word-levels. This does not just denote a roading system, but encompasses “everything that makes it easier to travel in your country” – roads, grain depots, caravanserais, harbor facilities, and the like. Usually increasing infrastructure also increases the volume of trade (and the contrapositive is true as well); it also permits more rapid movement of troops within your territory. However, high levels of infrastructure also contribute to a higher level of upkeep (especially if they are in bad terrain). You can forgo paying part or all of your upkeep, but it will have adverse consequences for your infrastructural level.

In order to increase your infrastructure level, you’ll need to ask me about how much money to pay. Sometimes it will take more than a turn of payment to increase your infrastructural level, in which case the number paid and the total number required will be displayed next to your infrastructure level in the stats. I elected not to tie the infrastructure level to anything specific in the stats or to a size stat so as to fix certain economic problems and to better account for regional variations in how much work it is to build a road and so forth.

The point has also been made that frequently infrastructure was increased by means of corvee labor, that is unpaid peasantry working on public works and infrastructure projects by law as part of their feudal obligations. This policy is permissible in feudal governments (tastefully highlighted by the appellation “Feudal” in their government description; I recognize that there are many many MANY other facets of feudalism, but that was the most convenient way to describe this); you can increase and maintain your infrastructure by corvee, but it will come at another cost. You will also face a greater risk of peasant revolt; people don’t tend to like those unpaid obligations. The fact that your state operates via feudal government also will decrease your revenues, since most of your cash will be collected from your own demesne instead of a universal taxation system. (The Chinese governments are mostly represented by the “Semi-Feudal” appellation, meaning that they both have elements of national taxation and the ability to use corvee. They also face a horrifyingly high likelihood of peasant revolt due to this combination.) The time in turns required to increase infrastructure by corvee will be displayed next to the infrastructure level instead of the monetary investment numbers shown in others’ stats.

Word-levels:
Atrocious-Pathetic-Bad-Tolerable-Decent-Improving-Good-Efficient-Great-Excellent

Prestige:

This is arguably the most important (numerical) stat in the game, because whoever has the highest prestige at the end of this NES gets the Winner award. It does not have many, if any, concrete effects on your empire, and rightly so. However, the drive to gain prestige does. There are plenty of ways to increase prestige. You can conquer territory and win military victories; you can successfully face down some of your Factions; you can implement a vast new public-works project; you can finance the rantings and ravings of a philosopher, or the upkeep of a grand library. (When initiating grand public works projects, take care not to go too far. It would suck to end up like one of these guys.) Prestige can also be lowered by military defeats, political squabbles, open corruption problems, and the like. Virtually anything and everything you do in this NES will alter your prestige.

Description:

This is a short (ha!) outline of the historical background for your state, chiefly for the purposes of context. Fairly self-explanatory, really. If you have any further specific questions about the setting, you should ask me; since this is a Guess-the-PoD map, not a timeline, I didn’t go into absurd depth on every inch of history since the PoD (which, for the record, was immediately after the Battle of Magnesia in 190 BC), which means that I may have not even thought about the thing you’re wondering about, so you can make it up on your own! Ask first, though.

Other Investments

As mentioned before, you can spend money on, well, virtually anything. It might not always have an effect – in fact, sometimes it will have quite a negative effect – but far be it from a mere mod to tell the god-king of the Seleukid Empire what he can do with his money! More seriously, though, there are plenty of other things on which you can spend your cash. Fortifications, military reforms, public-works projects, attractive slaves, some nice books, or whatever. If you can think of it, I’ll do my best to incorporate it somehow, with the appropriate benefits (or disadvantages) for you. The only limitation on this is technology, really – you can’t have somebody build you a roller coaster in the equivalent of 600 AD. Sorry.

Abbreviated Stats

Some states simply don’t work the same way as others do. I daresay that the qagan of the Antes doesn’t really worry about the level of infrastructure in the lands his horde controls, for instance. So some states may not incorporate all of the stats that others do. (This mostly just applies to Navies and Infrastructure.) Others, such as perma-NPCs, incorporate almost no stats at all. This is mostly for purposes of expediency. If they ever get players they will have more in depth stats added to them.

Spoiler stats post 1 :
Kingdom of Ystrad Clud
Capital: Alt Clut
Ruler/Player: Domnall map Dumnagual/NPC
Government: Decentralized Elective Feudal Monarchy
Culture: Cumbric (Brythonic) with some Pictish and Scottish strains; Cumbric-speaking; worship of the Celtic pantheon is near-universal.
Army: 1,000 infantry
Army Quality: 2
Army Description: Chiefly sword-armed shock infantry, levy spearmen, and skirmishers. Virtually no cavalry, and of those only chariots are used.
Description: The collapse of Gododdin and the heavy pressure of the Picts in the fifth century permitted the rise of a new northern Brythonic polity, the kingdom of Ystrad Clud. After some initial startling military successes against Germanic raiders and the Picts to the north, the kingdom experienced something of a golden age in the last century, a high that will be difficult to maintain as old foes rear their heads once again.

Cambrian Confederacy
Capital: Cairnnewydd
Ruler/Player: Cambric Council/NPC
Government: Decentralized Theocratic Feudal Monarchic Confederacy
Factions (Confidence/Strength): Ceredigion (4/4), Powys (2/3), Dyfnaint (2/4), Elmet (4/2), Rheged (3/3)
Culture: Britannic, or Cambric; dialects of Brythonic predominate (chiefly Cambric); Celtic polytheism is virtually universal, with druids incorporated into government.
Army: 3,000 infantry
Army Quality: 4
Army Description: Chiefly sword-armed shock infantry and skirmishers; virtually all cavalry is chariotry. Few long-range missile infantry and no heavy infantry or horseback cavalry are used.
Navy: 25 ships
Navy Quality: 2
Income (Raw –Upkeep): 1500 - 1450 = 50
Treasury: 200
Infrastructure: Pathetic
Prestige:
Description: Brythonic life was rudely interrupted a century and a half ago when the Germanic peoples began to migrate to the southwestern coasts of the island. Nearly too late, the kings of the west united in confederacy on Ynys-Mon, and by their combined efforts won a signal victory over the invaders at the ratae of the Corieltauvi eight decades ago. The ensuing comfortable hegemony has been recently disturbed with a fresh influx of invaders, along with the collapse of friendly Gododdin to the north. The kings of Cambria will doubtless be called upon to reunite soon.

Kingdom of Rygia
Capital: Tan-arth
Ruler/Player: Dryhten ?/NPC
Government: Decentralized Feudal Tribal Monarchy
Factions (Confidence/Strength): Rygi (4/4), Kimbria (4/2), Rondinga (2/3), Brythonic natives (2/3)
Culture: West Germanic with extremely strong Brythonic and East Germanic influences; ruling Germanic groups speak Old West Germanic dialects, with many loan-words from East Germanic dialects and a large Brythonic population speaking Cambric; worship of the Germanic pantheon is widespread among the invaders, and Celtic polytheism is similarly dominant among the natives.
Army: 2,000 infantry, 500 cavalry
Army Quality: 3
Army Description: Reliant on shock infantry, bearing both sword and spear with significant variety as to the amount of armor used. Very few cavalry are used, though both light and heavy cavalry are represented. Very few missile infantry are used, though what few archers there are have excellent training.
Navy: 30 ships
Navy Quality: 3
Income (Raw –Upkeep): 750 - 720 = 30
Treasury: 150
Infrastructure: Atrocious
Prestige:
Description: The Rygi and Kimbria began to settle on the western shores of Britannia a century and a half ago. They came as traders and colonizers and refugees, but apparently the people who were living there already didn’t particularly like being colonized – fancy that! After many of the Kimbria were killed by the natives in the land of the Corieltauvi, the erla and karla of the Rygi banded together under the Drhyten Ewald and prevented the Cambrians from driving them into the sea. Of late, a new migration has begun, made up mostly of Rondinga. If the military power of these new arrivals can be harnessed by the Drhyten, they could swing the balance against the hitherto-powerful Cambrians…or their arrival could herald a fresh round of vicious infighting.

Kingdom of Nerwia
Capital: Samarabrucca
Ruler/Player: Trehten ?/NPC
Government: Decentralized Feudal Tribal Monarchy
Factions (Confidence/Strength): Trehten’s Silenga (5/2), Bagacos Silenga (4/3), Silenga lords (3/4), Asdinga (2/3), Belgic natives (2/4)
Culture: East Germanic with strong Belgic, Walhic, and West Germanic influences; invaders are mostly Old High German-speaking, with a large Belgic-speaking native populace; Germanic polytheism is widespread among all, though Celtic polytheism still has a few native adherents.
Army: 5,000 infantry, 1,000 cavalry
Army Description: Excellent sword-bearing shock and ambush infantry are used, with particularly good quality swords being a Nerwian hallmark. Very good light and medium cavalry, good heavy cavalry though it is in extremely small numbers. Very few missile infantry of any sort.
Navy: 10 ships
Income (Raw –Upkeep): 1740 - 1680 = 60
Treasury: 300
Infrastructure: Bad
Prestige:
Description: The fifth-century migration period brought the Silenga and Asdinga to the lands of the Belgic peoples, who had themselves maintained a proud independence from Arvernic Walhia for centuries. They could not withstand the weight of the new settlers, though, and eventually succumbed. Nerwia, as the Silenga call the new territory, has hitherto been split up into a series of semi-independent duchies under the formal authority of a Trehten. The recent death of Trehten Gunthamund has opened up the possibility of severe internal strife, as each of his sons presses his claim. It remains to be seen whether young Nerwia can withstand the near-certain civil war that is to come, to survive and even expand its power and territory.

Kingdom of Walhia
Capital: Wien
Ruler/Player: Trohtîn ?/NPC
Government: Confederal Feudal Tribal Monarchy
Factions (Confidence/Strength): Trohtîn’s Bastarna (5/1), Atmona Bastarna (3/4), Sidona Bastarna (3/2), Yazyga (2/4), Arverni natives (2/3), Aulerci natives (3/3)
Culture: Celto-Germanic (spec. East Germanic) among the invaders, Celtic (chiefly Walhic) among the natives; Old High German (with many Walhic and East Germanic loan-words) chiefly spoken among the invaders, with Walhic-speaking natives; invaders generally worship the Germanic pantheon, natives are mostly Celtic polytheistic with some druidic practices remaining.
Army: 8,000 infantry, 1,000 cavalry
Army Description: Shock infantry, both heavy and light, are widely used, with good skirmishers but few ranged missile infantry. Notable are the lack of staying power among all melee infantry and the wide use of the rhomphaia, or falx, among the Bastarna. Few good quality cavalry are used, none of them heavily armored.
Navy: 15 ships
Income (Raw –Upkeep): 2,500 - 2,410 = 90
Treasury: 350
Prestige:
Description: The fearsome Bastarna, after defeating the native Allobroges and Arverni, have made themselves masters of the Walha. Though quite decentralized, as migrating tribes are wont to be, they have been successful thus far in repelling the half-hearted invasions of their territory by the Hatta and Aorsi. United at least formally under the person of the Trohtîn, the various Bastarna warlords constantly squabble amongst themselves and with the native Walha. The empire is in serious danger of internal collapse, and only a strong Trohtîn will be capable of uniting the disparate warlords into a cohesive whole.

Iberian Empire
Capital: Numantia
Ruler/Player: ?/NPC
Government: Decentralized Feudal Monarchy
Factions (Confidence/Strength): Hellenic poleis (4/2), Lusotannan natives (2/2), Hamaba (2/3), Celtiberian natives (2/2), Hatta marcher-lords (3/4), Hatta Assembly (4/2)
Culture: Native population is by turns Lusotannan, Celtiberian, Punic, and Greek, with West Germanic invaders as a semi-separate overclass with little mixing as yet.
Army: 10,000 infantry, 2,500 cavalry
Army Description: Variegated mixture of native troops, primarily light infantry, skirmishers, medium infantry, and medium cavalry; colonizer troops, primarily heavy spear infantry; and German troops, primarily medium and heavy melee infantry, light cavalry, and archers. Virtually no heavy cavalry.
Navy Quality: 4
Income (Raw –Upkeep): 2,930 – 2,840 = 90
Treasury: 390
Infrastructure: Tolerable
Prestige:
Description: Iberia has always been a land of many peoples. The Lusotannan and the Celtiberians migrated here in the distant past, and the Punic and Hellenic settlers followed them. Unlike the Carthaginians, the Romans, Seleukids, and Perseids tried to conquer the peninsula in its entirety, but they only half-succeeded. After they ruled, the Lusotannan held sway, but their hegemony was short-lived. Instead, the Frankish migration, what some have called the harbinger of the migratory age, brought those people, who called themselves Hamaba, to the southern coasts. A century ago, the Hatta followed them, establishing their power in the northern part of the peninsula and eventually, after a series of hard-fought border wars, subsuming the Franks a decade ago. Now masters of the whole peninsula, the Hatta can look forward towards a new age of foreign conquest.

Windelician Federation
Capital: Windelicoppidos
Ruler/Player: Trohtîn Wittimer/NPC
Government: Tribal Monarchy
Culture: Germanic, with strong admixtures of Celtic; Altdeutsch-speaking; widespread worship of the Continental Germanic pantheon with some borrowed deities and practices from Celtic religion.
Army: 5,000 infantry, 1,000 cavalry
Army Description: Primarily light and medium melee infantry optimized for ambush roles, and significant numbers of levy spearmen. Some medium cavalry, no heavy cavalry. Some skirmishers, few archers.
Description: In the aftermath of the collapse of the last Arverni successor state in the 200s, Windelicia has maintained a precarious independence, suffering repeatedly from the passage of large migrating peoples. The rise of the strong Nitigilfing family to power has enabled the Windelicians to better defend themselves these last fifty years, but as another wave of migrations kicks off, it is impossible to say whether this people will continue to do so.

Aorsi Horde
Capital: Patikapatta
Ruler/Player: Murunda ?/NPC
Government: Feudal Tribal Elective Monarchy
Factions (Confidence/Strength): Spada (4/5), Tyrrenian Aursa (3/3), Adriatic Aursa (3/3), Sannic Aursa (3/2), Markomanna (2/3)
Culture: Iranian nomadic (Saka) among the Aorsi themselves, with Germanic, Celtic, Latin, and Etruscan strains more or less intermixed among the natives (who all self-identify as ‘Markomanna’ now); Western Middle Iranian-speaking among the Aorsi with Gothic predominating among the general populace; the Aorsi themselves are Zoroastrian, but the general populace is mostly Sophist with some Germanic and Latin polytheists.
Army: 10,000 cavalry
Army Quality: 6
Army Description: The main army is dominated by horse-archers and lancers, both heavily and lightly armed and armored; of the levies, archers and large bodies of cheap spearmen are the norm. Virtually no heavy infantry with any staying power.
Income (Raw –Upkeep): 1,190 – 1,410 = -210
Treasury: 1,000
Prestige:
Description: The Gavas and Raukas of the Aorsi, or Aursa, have led their people on a long journey since being driven from the lands northeast of the Caspian Sea two hundred years ago. For the last thirty of those years they have ruled northern Italy, seizing control from the Marcomanni who lived there before. Their military prowess has allowed them to raid up and down the peninsula virtually at will. Now the Aorsi look further afield, and have begun to direct their matchless cavalry across the Alps and into the depopulated east.

Republic of Panormos
Capital: Panormos
Ruler/Player: Archon ?/NPC
Government: Federal Plutocratic Republic
Factions (Confidence/Strength): Sikeliot Merchantry (4/5), Panormos Mob (2/4), Megale Hellenic poleis (2/3), Sikeliot Gentry (3/3), Aphrike (2/4)
Culture: Sikeliot and Megale Greek, with a significant Punic population in Aphrike and minor native Italic (Samnite, Latin) populations in Italy; overwhelmingly Greek-speaking; almost wholly Sophist, save for small pockets of Phoenician polytheists in Aphrike.
Army: 25,000 infantry, 4,000 cavalry
Army Quality: 5
Army Description: Reliant on heavy spear infantry (thorakitai) and small bodies of pikemen. Significant numbers of medium cavalry, very few heavy cavalry, some skirmisher cavalry. Few to no missile infantry.
Navy: 190 ships
Navy Quality: 7
Income (Raw –Upkeep): 20,100 – 19,750 = 350
Treasury: 3,000
Infrastructure: Good
Prestige:
Description: Panormos, originally the capital of the Perseids’ Sicilian satrapy, successfully revolted as the Sophist wars hit the Perseid Empire centuries ago. In 394, the Sicilian kingdom that had emerged from the revolt was brought down by a revolution of the poleis, which reorganized the island into a federal republic, modeled on the Achaian and Aitolian states of old. Control of Africa, won in the fifth century, brought immense wealth; control of south Italy, achieved at nearly the same time, connected it all together. But in the last seven decades Panormos has been crippled by scandal and social unrest, while Aorsi raids devastate the Italian possessions as Panormos’ armies tear themselves to shreds in internecine conflict. Panormos is sick, and needs reform, before one or more of its many internal and external foes does it in.

Kingdom of Chaonia
Capital: Seleukeia in Epidamnia
Ruler/Player: Basileus ?/NPC
Government: Confederal Feudal Aristocratic Monarchy
Factions (Confidence/Strength): Epeirotai (4/3), Ambrakia (4/2), Megale Hellenic poleis (2/3), Illyria (2/3)
Culture: Epeirote, Illyrian, and Megale Hellenic Greek; Greek-speaking with some Italic languages (Osco-Umbrian, Samnite) spoken in the interior of Italy; mostly Sophist with some Greek polytheists and Jews in Italy.
Army: 23,000 infantry, 4,000 cavalry
Army Description: Chiefly comprised of heavy spear infantry (thorakitai), small bodies of pikemen, skirmishers, and medium and heavy cavalry. Very few light cavalry or long range missile infantry.
Navy: 90 ships
Navy Quality: 5
Income (Raw –Upkeep): 16,400 – 16,250 = 150
Treasury: 500
Infrastructure: Improving
Prestige:
Description: A reconstituted Epeiros, down to the federal league system of government it has adopted, Chaonia revolted from Makedonia a hundred years ago and enjoyed significant political and cultural success, both asserting dominance over much of Megale Hellas and providing a home to the great political theorist Leon of Ambrakia. Those early glory days have given way to troubles in the last fifty years, with increasing Ruxsalannoi and Aorsi raids and Samnitic stirrings in Italy. Chaonia will face the ultimate test in weathering the coming storm.

Ruxsalannoi Horde
Capital: Kallatis
Ruler/Player: Kalarauka ?/NPC
Government: Feudal Tribal Confederal Monarchy
Factions (Confidence/Strength): Kala Ruxsalanna (4/5), Greek coastal poleis (3/3), Mauya Ruxsalanna (3/4), Thyssakata (3/3), Getai (2/3)
Culture: Iranian nomadic (Saurometai) among the Ruxsalanna and Thyssakata, with major Greek populations along the coast and large numbers of Getai in the north; Western Middle Iranian-speaking among the Ruxsalanna and Thyssakata, Greek-speaking everywhere else; the invaders are mostly Zoroastrian, and the native peoples are either Sophists or Hellenic polytheists.
Army: 2,000 infantry, 11,000 cavalry
Army Description: Chiefly comprised of various forms of steppe cavalry, both lancers and horse archers, augmented by large bodies of levy spearmen. Small numbers of heavy spear infantry are available from the Hellenic poleis, and small numbers of light melee infantry can be levied from the Getai.
Income (Raw –Upkeep): 1,040 – 1,540 = -500
Treasury: 2,000
Prestige:
Description: A hundred years have passed since Rausimodes, the Great King of the Ruxsalannoi confederation, led his people across the Danube and into immortality. They have carried fire and sword through the Balkans, first overwhelming the coastal poleis and then raiding great Makedonia itself. It was Ruxsalannoi pressure that caused the Thraikians to revolt, and Ruxsalannoi horse-archers that killed King Alexandros VI at Doberos. Now, with the Hellenic coastal poleis forced to be tributaries, their power in the Balkans seems to be unrivaled – but a reforming Makedonia, the threat from the Aorsi, and a nameless fear in the north may combined to undo hitherto-unstoppable Ruxsalannoi might.

Kingdom of Makedonia
Capital: Pella
Government: Federal Aristocratic Monarchy
Factions (Confidence/Strength): Army Assembly (4/5), Mesogaioi (2/3), Boiotia (4/2), Attika (4/3), Paralioi (4/4)
Culture: Makedonian and Mainland Greek, with significant Syrian influences; Greek-speaking; almost wholly Sophist, save for small academic communities of Greek polytheists and a few Jews.
Army: 30,000 infantry, 6,000 cavalry
Army Description: Mostly heavy spear-wielding shock infantry with skirmishing capabilities (thorakitai), some skirmishers and long-range missile infantry, and a small elite body of pikemen. Mostly heavy cavalry and lancers, few scout cavalry.
Navy: 120 ships
Income (Raw –Upkeep): 19,000-18,700 = 300
Treasury: 2,500
Prestige:
Description: After successfully revolting from the Perseids under Meleagros in the third century, the state of Makedonia has developed into a significant regional power, both on land and sea. Its control of the holy city of Athens and the significant natural resources of the Greek North have allowed its rulers to maintain a rivalry with the powerful Perseids. But recently, Makedonia has suffered from revolts, both in Epeiros and Thraikia, sparked by military failures against the dangerous Ruxsalannoi in the north. The beleaguered Makedonian state has a long and difficult road ahead.

Kingdom of Thraikia
Capital: Demotika
Ruler/Player: Basileus Neikolaos II/NPC
Government: Plutocratic Elective Confederal Monarchy
Culture: Greek; Greek-speaking; worship of Hagia Sophia predominates.
Army: 10,000 infantry, 3,000 cavalry
Army Description: Chiefly comprised of urban spear militia (hoplitai) and heavy shock infantry (thorakitai), some skirmishers and long-range missile infantry, some medium melee infantry, some medium cavalry, lancers, and scout cavalry. Few heavy cavalry.
Navy: 100 ships
Navy Quality: 6
Description: Makedonia’s weakness earlier in the century led to the secession of a league of cities in the old Thraikian satrapy, but those cities quickly discovered they could not defend themselves acting as a league. Neikolaos I was elected to lead their armies, and managed to preserve their precarious independence; his successor, recently elected, now must deal with the threat of both a vengeful Makedonia and with the dangerous Ruxsalannoi to the north.

Kingdom of Mysia
Capital: Kios
Government: Centralized Aristocratic Monarchy
Factions (Confidence/Strength): Mysia (4/4), Bithynia (3/4), Phrygia (2/3), Hetairoi (4/2), Merchantry (2/3)
Culture: Anatolian Greek; Greek-speaking; mostly Sophist, with some scattered Jews and Hellenic polytheists.
Army: 17,000 infantry, 9,000 cavalry
Army Description: Mostly comprised of heavy spear infantry (thorakitai) and medium cavalry. Significant numbers of skirmishers and heavy melee infantry; very few ranged missile infantry.
Navy: 110 ships
Income (Raw –Upkeep): 17,300 – 17,050 = 250
Prestige:
Description: The satraps of Mysia and Bithynia had revolted from the Perseid Empire during the course of its long religious convulsions centuries ago, and despite briefly coming under Makedonian domination managed to safeguard their independence from all comers. Even the Pisidians were warded off until Prousias X of Bithynia died in battle against them thirty years ago. Since then, the kings of Mysia have absorbed their weaker neighbor, not just for personal profit but out of a sincere desire for mutual defense, and have gained in power as the Pisidian hegemony in Anatolia breaks down. The question now seems to be whether Mysia can replace Pisidia or whether some other state will beat them to the punch.

Kingdom of Kimmerian Bosporos
Capital: Pantikapaion
Government: Confederal Plutocratic Administrative Monarchy
Factions (Confidence/Strength): Pantikapaion (5/4), Merchantry (4/4), Gorgipeia (2/4), Chersonesos (4/3), Skythoi (3/4)
Culture: Skythohellenic syncretic; Greek-speaking; overwhelmingly Sophist.
Army: 25,000 infantry, 10,000 cavalry
Army Quality: 7
Army Description: Mixture of pikemen, heavy spear infantry (thorakitai), foot archers, and both armored and unarmored horse archers. Few units of melee or light infantry, virtually no skirmishers.
Navy: 150 ships
Income (Raw –Upkeep): 20,600 – 20,200 = 400
Treasury: 3,500
Prestige:
Description: Initially coalescing around a league of Hellenic trading poleis, intermediaries between the steppe peoples and Hellenistic society, the Bosporans are one of the oldest polities in existence, at least in part because they are too far away for anybody else to conquer, and rich enough to have an army capable of protecting them against most comers. Over the centuries, the Bosporans have successfully managed to create a hybrid culture with their various Skythian neighbors, having the side effect of giving them a potent military as well and permitting them to weather the storm of migrations over the last few centuries. But as a fresh wave of migrations begins, the Bosporan basileis will need to start kicking faster just to keep their heads above water.

Pontic League
Capital: Trapezous
Ruler/Player: Strategos Kritolaos/NPC
Government: Confederal Thalassocracy
Culture: Pontic Greek, with strong Armenian influences; Greek-speaking; chiefly Sophist, but with pockets of Hellenic polytheists and Zoroastrians in the countryside.
Army: 5,000 infantry, 500 cavalry
Army Description: Primarily composed of urban spear militia and archers. Some medium cavalry, some mercenary heavy spear infantry (thorakitai). No heavy cavalry, few melee infantry.
Description: After revolting from the Pisidians and Armenians two centuries ago, the Pontic League prospered off of revived Black Sea commerce. Though barely united, the inaccessibility and relative power of the Pontic poleis makes them formidable defenders.

Kingdom of Pisidia
Capital: Akroinon
Government: Centralized Feudal Administrative Monarchy
Factions (Confidence/Strength): Pisidoi (4/3), Anatolian Greeks (2/4), Kappadokiai (3/3), Armenians (4/2)
Culture: Pisidian minority ruling over a chiefly Anatolian Greek majority with a significant Armenian population; Pisidian- and Armenian-speaking minorities and a Greek-speaking majority; almost wholly Sophist.
Army: 9,000 infantry, 5,000 cavalry
Army Description: Excellent skirmishers and light spear infantry (thureophoroi), some pikemen, significant numbers of medium cavalry. Very few heavy cavalry or heavy infantry.
Income (Raw –Upkeep): 2,600 – 2,450 = 150
Treasury: 1,500
Prestige:
Description: The Pisidians and Isaurians, which the Greeks of Anatolia uncharitably call “barbarians”, rose up against Perseid authority under the impact of the religious wars centuries ago. The Pisidians themselves achieved political dominance in Anatolia, successfully defending themselves from Hai, Perseid, and Makedonian invasions. As recently as three decades ago Pisidia was still the terror of the peninsula, but defeats at Mysian and Perseid hands have left it militarily hamstrung. A great basileus may be able to rally Pisidia and defeat its encircling opponents, but only great leaders – or luck – will save the kingdom now.

Spoiler stats post 2 :
Perseid Empire
Capital: Antiocheia on the Orontes
Government: Centralized Autocratic Administrative Monarchy
Factions (Confidence/Strength): Imperial bureaucracy (4/4), Army Assembly (2/3), Nesiarchy (4/4), Peloponnesos (3/2), Ionia (3/3)
Culture: Greek, especially Syrian and Anatolian Greek; Greek-speaking; almost wholly Sophist, save a large Jewish community in Ioudaia and in most trading poleis.
Army: 35,000 infantry, 13,000 cavalry
Army Description: Mixture of pikemen, heavy spear infantry (thorakitai), heavy cavalry, and cataphract horse archers. Few skirmishers; large body of unusually well-trained archers.
Navy: 210 ships
Income (Raw –Upkeep): 31,700 – 31,200 = 500
Treasury: 6,000
Infrastructure: Efficient
Prestige:
Description: The death of the great Seleukid emperor Demetrios III sent his empire into a long and difficult succession war, fueled by unsolved social ills. Perseus, the younger of his sons, eventually emerged with the western half of the empire under his firm grasp. The grasp of his successors was not quite so firm, especially after the growth of Sophism. Egypt, Makedonia, Africa, Anatolia, and Italy were all lost to revolt. Yet in recent years, many of the Perseids’ enemies have fallen on bad times of their own, and the empire still has the most powerful fleet in the Mediterranean. Military successes and a cultural golden age have been set upon the empire in these last decades. The Perseids have good prospects and the means to take advantage of their openings; it remains to their emperors whether their revival will succeed or fail.

Kingdom of Aigyptos
Capital: Alexandreia
Government: Centralized Administrative Monarchy
Factions (Confidence/Strength): Army Assembly (4/2), Alexandrian mob (2/3), Sophist clergy (4/3), Royal bureaucracy (4/4), Nesiarchy (3/4)
Culture: Egyptian Greek with a large minority of native Egyptians; Greek-speaking with a significant minority of Demotic Egyptian speakers; majority Sophist, with a small minority worshipping the Egyptian pantheon.
Army: 20,000 infantry, 4,000 cavalry
Army Description: Small cadres of urban spear militia (hoplitai) augmented by levy spearmen from the Egyptian warrior class (machimoi). Better than average medium cavalry and ranged missile infantry; poor skirmishers and few heavy cavalry.
Navy: 175 ships
Income (Raw –Upkeep): 20,200 – 19,850 = 350
Treasury: 4,000
Prestige:
Description: Even after revolting from the Perseids in the fifth century, the former satrapy of Aigyptos has always had to play second fiddle to their larger neighbor. The Perseid fleet was always better than the Aigyptian one, and their armies pushed Aigyptian ones out of Phoenicia and Palestine not long after the rebellion started. Aigyptos then nearly collapsed in a series of religious conflicts and Alexandrian mob wars. This vicious cycle only ended with the restoration of order under the Sophist king Orestes (564-575), and since then Aigyptos has slowly gained in stability and economic power. Its fleet is second only to that of the Perseids, but in a one-on-one showdown the Perseids would still dominate the contest. Still, the Alexandrian monarchy is the only credible rival for the Perseids that remains.

Kingdom of Alodia
Capital: Medewi
Ruler/Player: King Ajib/NPC
Government: Confederal Aristocratic Monarchy
Culture: Nubian; chiefly Nubian-speaking; populace is generally Meroitic polytheist, but ruled by a Sophist elite with significant numbers of Jews among the merchantry.
Army: 12,000 infantry, 3,000 cavalry
Army Description: Chiefly cheap levy spearmen, skirmishers, and some cavalry. Some heavier infantry (spear and melee) and some archers are also available. Few elephants.
Description: Of the three Nubian states, Alodia managed to achieve political dominance after displacing hitherto-powerful Makuria a hundred years ago. The Alodian kings, who are in the midst of leading their people into Sophism, maintain strong ties with the Amyntid kings of Aigyptos, and have kept up a healthy rivalry with Aksum over their Nilotic territories.

Aksumite Empire
Capital: Adulis
Ruler/Player: Negusa nagast ?/NPC
Government: Decentralized Plutocratic Monarchy
Factions (Confidence/Strength): Merchantry (5/4), Sab’yn (2/3), Troglodytic Hellenes (4/3), Aksum Highlanders (2/3), Blemmyes (3/2)
Culture: Aksumite east of the Red Sea and in some colony cities in Arabia, south Arabian east of the Red Sea, and Hellenic in several poleis along the coast; Ge’ez-speaking along the coasts and west of the Red Sea, and Arabic-speaking in Sab’yn, Himyar, and Ma’in; chiefly Jewish, with pockets of Hindus and Sophists along the coast.
Army: 18,000 infantry, 9,000 cavalry
Army Description: Reliant on spearmen, both cheap levies and heavier variants from the Greek poleis; some good quality medium axe-wielding melee infantry; large numbers of good quality archers; decent light skirmishing cavalry. Infrequent use of elephants. Very few heavy cavalry or heavy melee infantry.
Navy: 125 ships
Income (Raw –Upkeep): 16,700 – 16,450 = 250
Infrastructure: Decent
Prestige:
Description: The Aksumite people exploded into prominence with the evolution of trade routes through the Red Sea to and from the new Greek-ruled territories in India in the second century. But it was only in the late sixth century that Aksum made its greatest strides after largely converting to the Jewish faith, conquering Yemen, and opening up Arabia to even greater amounts of trade and exploration. Since then, Aksum has maintained its dominance, relying on military power bought by the proceeds from extensive trade. Having extended their reach through their immediate backyard, Aksum is beginning to look further afield, to the north and to the east.

Antes Horde
Ruler/Player: Murunda Boz/NPC
Government: Steppe Tribal Monarchy
Culture: Usual steppe mixture of Iranian, proto-Slavic, and Germanic elements; the closest thing to a common tongue is Western Middle Iranian; worship is chiefly animistic.
Army: 15,000 cavalry
Army Description: Reliant on various types of steppe cavalry (horse archers and shock cavalry, armored and unarmored), can raise significant numbers of levy spearmen and foot-archers as well.
Description: The latest major steppe power to coalesce north of the Caucasus, the seminomadic Antes have spent much of the seventy years since their loose confederation was formed raiding, both through the Caucasian passes and into the rich coastlands of the Bosporan Kingdom. Time will only tell whether they are able to continue doing this or whether the recent stirrings in the steppe will yield a power strong enough to drive them out.

Armenian Empire
Capital: Artavashat
Ruler/Player: Arkah ?/NPC
Government: Decentralized Feudal Aristocratic Monarchy
Factions (Confidence/Strength): Artavashuni (4/2), Nakharars (3/4), Shinakans (3/3), Kavakaza marz lords (3/4), Adurbagadan (2/2), Pokr Hayk (3/3)
Culture: Armenian, with traces of other Caucasian groups and strong influence from Greeks and Saka-type steppe cultures; chiefly Armenian-speaking; slight majority of Sophists, concentrated mostly in the cities, with large numbers of Zoroastrians scattered throughout the countryside.
Army: 6,000 infantry, 8,000 cavalry
Army Description: Large numbers of skirmishers and levy spearmen, many good cataphract cavalry, both lancers and horse archers. Few melee infantry or armored infantry, some horse archers.
Income (Raw –Upkeep): 11,800 – 11,650 = 150
Treasury: 0
Prestige:
Description: Only the greatest of the Seleukid kings ever conquered the Hai people of Armenia; save that interlude more than six centuries ago, they have been proudly and fiercely independent. The wise Hai kings played the jackal for a long time, taking scraps from first the Seleukids, then the Perseids, and so forth, all the while expanding their mountain empire across the Caucasus. Their power grew so great that Tigran III (366-390) even led his army to besiege the great city of Seleukeia-on-the-Tigris (albeit unsuccessfully). Since that glorious apogee, though, the Hai have been in decline. First the Pontic league of Hellenic coastal poleis broke away from Hai domination, then the waves of steppe invaders hit the Caucasus forts. Territorially, the Hai have not lost much, but their populace has been depleted and their riches robbed by the steppe lords, the Antes. Much authority has been ceded from Artavashat to the marz lords on the frontiers. Surrounded by enemies, it may be all Armenia can do to survive.

Seleukid Empire
Capital: Seleukeia on the Tigris
Ruler/Player: Megas Basileus ?/NPC
Government: Centralized Theocratic Aristocratic Monarchy
Factions (Confidence/Strength): Seleukid dynastic cult (5/4), Seleukeian mob (3/3), Army Assembly (4/4), Merchantry (3/3), Sophists (2/2)
Culture: Eastern Greek; overwhelmingly Greek-speaking; mostly worshippers of the Seleukid dynastic cult, but with a small, persecuted, and growing number of Sophists in many of the poleis, as well as some Jews, Hindus, and Buddhists in Charax and Seleukeia.
Army: 25,000 infantry, 9,000 cavalry
Army Description: Urban heavy spear militia and pikemen are the backbone of the army, along with cataphract horse archers and lancers. Foot missile units are sparse, as are most varieties of light infantry.
Navy: 60 ships
Income (Raw –Upkeep): 24,400 – 24,150 = 250
Treasury: 15,000
Infrastructure: Efficient
Prestige:
Description: Past glories are one of the few things left to the rump of the Seleukid Empire. A domain that stretched from the Indus to the Pillars of Herakles at one point has been reduced to the first divine Seleukos’ old satrapy of Babylonia. The Seleukid emperors, deified priest-kings of a moribund religion, still have cards to play, though they are few; their state’s kernel is still strong, and they have the enormous weight of prestige. Perhaps they may keep time from claiming their attenuated empire; perhaps the state may rise, like a phoenix, from the ashes.

Mazsakata Horde
Ruler/Player: Spadahaura ?/NPC
Government: Steppe Tribal Monarchy
Factions (Confidence/Strength): Xaraosta Mazsakata (4/4), Mazsakata Azats (3/3), Alanna yabghu (4/3), Daha yabghu (3/4), Ashina yabghu (3/2)
Culture: Usual steppe mishmash, chiefly Iranian (Saka and Saurometai) and Turkic; various Iranian and Turkic dialects are used, with Eastern Middle Iranian as the closest thing to a lingua franca; mostly Tengriist, with several Zoroastrian and even Sophist groups.
Army: 21,000 cavalry
Army Description: Reliant on steppe cavalry, lancers and horse archers, unarmored and cataphract. Few infantry are used, and of those only cheap and numerous levy spearmen, and foot archers are employed with any regularity.
Income (Raw –Upkeep): 13,900 – 15,700 = -1,800
Treasury: 2,300
Prestige:
Description: Long have the Mazsakata lived in the barren lands the Greeks call Chorasmia. It is said that their queen Tomyris slew the greatest of the Iranian kings a millennium ago, and that their chief Attakes did the same to the Seleukid ruler Demetrios III. The yabghus of the Alanna and the Daha, the subsidiary tribes of the confederacy, have remained loyal through thick and thin to the Mazsakata Haura. New tribes and hordes have entered the Mazsakata group, others have since left for other pastures, but the yurts of the Mazsakata themselves ever remain. Well, in the same general area at least.

Kingdom of Areia
Capital: Hekatompylos
Government: Centralized Aristocratic Theocratic Monarchy
Factions (Confidence/Strength): Army Assembly (4/5), Medioi (4/3), Zoroastrian clergy (4/3), Sousiane (2/3), Parthyaia (3/4), Merchantry (3/3)
Culture: Iranohellenic syncretism; chiefly Greek-speaking, though Iranian languages are more widespread in Media and Hyrkania; mostly Zoroastrian, with significant pockets of Sophists in the west and southeast, Jews in most major poleis, and worshippers of the Seleukid dynastic cult in Persis.
Army: 45,000 infantry, 14,000 cavalry
Army Description: Primarily reliant on heavy spear infantry (thorakitai), Iranian native archer-spearmen, cataphract multirole (horse archers and shock cavalry) heavy cavalry, and Median medium cavalry. Light cavalry, sword infantry, and skirmishers are all scarce.
Navy: 75 ships
Income (Raw –Upkeep): 35,100 - 34,500 = 600
Treasury: 5,000
Prestige:
Description: Religion destroyed the Seleukid Empire after the great civil war. In Areia, the cult of the deified Seleukid emperors went too far, and both Greek colonists and Median natives rose against the oppressive hand of Seleukos VI in the second century. Straton II, the third Greek king of Areia, mandated instead the worship of Achoura Maznta, a step which has symbolized the syncretic nature of the Areian Iranohellenic culture. Having made great gains at the expense of the near-dead Seleukid Empire and the recently extinct Karmanian state, Areia stands in a position to dominate the oikoumene.

Kingdom of Sogdiane
Capital: Marakanda
Government: Centralized Feudal Aristocratic Monarchy
Factions (Confidence/Strength): Dayuan (5/4), Hellenes (3/4), Merchantry (4/2), Chorasmians (2/3)
Culture: Eastern Greek with strong Saka and Ferghanan influence; Greek-speaking, with some Turkic speakers; mostly Sophist, with some Tengriists and Zoroastrians.
Army: 6,000 infantry, 12,000 cavalry
Army Description: Professional army is mostly comprised of foot archers, pikemen, and cavalry, both lancers and horse archers, with some cataphracts. Very few heavy infantry are used. Large numbers of levy spearmen are available.
Income (Raw –Upkeep): 8,400 – 8,300 = 100
Treasury: 600
Infrastructure: Tolerable
Prestige:
Description: When the Baktrian Empire fell apart in the fifth century, the satrap of Sogdiane, Amyntas, was one of the big winners, quickly extending his hold to both his home satrapy and Ferghana. Sogdiane, with its control of the trade routes between China and the West and its well-drilled military, seemed about to dominate Central Asia a hundred years ago. But foolish kings, relentless Areian pressure, and finally an influx of nomads (first the Dayuan and then the Tantan) broke the back of Sogdianan power. A Dayuan chief, who Hellenized his name to Stasanor, took the throne in 574 and, with his superb cavalry augmenting the Sogdiane armies, engineered something of a revival. His successors would need brilliance, luck, or providence to maintain the ground he held against the Tantan, Mazsakata, and Areians now.

Kingdom of Baktria
Capital: Baktra
Factions (Confidence/Strength): Royal bureaucracy (4/4), Hellenes (3/4), Paropamisans (3/3), Kapisans (3/2), Katoikiai (2/4)
Culture: Eastern Greek with strong Iranian (esp. Baktrian) and Indian influences; Greek-speaking; mostly Sophist, with some Zoroastrians and a large number of Hindus in the Paropamisadai.
Army: 32,000 infantry, 11,000 cavalry
Army Description: Reliant on heavy spear infantry (thorakitai) and heavy cavalry, including cataphracts. Significant numbers of archers and skirmishers are also available, as well as some horse archers.
Income (Raw –Upkeep): 25,700 – 25,300 = 400
Treasury: 3,500
Prestige:
Description: After brief independence under the Diodotoi kings, Baktria was forced back into the Seleukid fold by Antiochos III. It was not until the Perseid war that the Baktrians were able to reclaim independence, achieved by Hippomenes I. Hippomenes and his descendants, especially the great Zoilos I, took advantage of the vacuum created to their east by the decline of the Sunga Empire to carve out a large swath of the Gangetic Plain. A brief cultural flowering, aided by the interplay between Iranians, Greeks, and Indians, went hand in hand with this political-military golden age. But since then, due to the rise of the Palas, Sogdiane, Karmania, and then Areia, Baktria has been on the back foot; recently, control of nearby Margiane was lost to the Areians, sparking a desperate initiative at reform.

Kingdom of Kaspeireia
Capital: Apollodoteia in Sagalene
Government: Centralized Feudal Aristocratic Monarchy
Factions (Confidence/Strength): Army Assembly (4/4), Hellenes (2/3), Indians (3/4), Zoroastrians (3/2), Prasiane (2/3)
Culture: Eastern Greek and Gandharan; Greek- and Prakrit-speaking; Zoroastrianism predominates among the Greeks, with Hindu worship most popular among the Gandharans, while Sophism and Buddhism are strong minority faiths.
Army: 8,000 infantry, 6,000 cavalry
Army Description: Reliant on heavy cavalry (armored and unarmored), cavalry archers, and large numbers of light infantry and foot archers. Some urban spear militia (hoplitai) and heavy spear infantry (pratradhaka ksatriya, thorakitai) are also available. Few elephants.
Income (Raw –Upkeep): 9,600 – 9,450 = 150
Prestige:
Description: As the waning Baktrian empire struggled under blows from the Palas and Karmanians in the fifth century, the general Apollodotos revolted with his army and formed a new state in Gandhara. He was not the only one of Baktria’s generals who chose to carve himself a niche in the new order, but he was certainly the most successful, and defeated most of his Gandharan rivals while cultivating good relations both with his Indian subjects and his Indian neighbors, the Palas. Following his example, the usual pattern of Kaspeireian rulers has been to side with the Palas while fighting the Baktrians in the high passes of the Hindu Kush. The recent advance of Areia may change that, and Kaspeireia’s challenge will be to find a new chair once the music stops.

League of Patalene
Capital: Antipatreia
Ruler/Player: Archon ?/NPC
Government: Confederal Plutocratic Republic
Factions (Confidence/Strength): Antipatreia (4/4), Barygaza (2/4), Abiria (3/3), Surastrene (3/4), Oraia (4/2)
Culture: Eastern Greek and Sindhi; Greek- and Prakrit-speaking; Sophist plurality, with a large Hindu population and scattered Buddhists and Zoroastrians.
Army Description: Largely composed of urban spear militia, heavy guild infantry, mercenary heavy spear infantry (thorakitai), longbowmen, and medium cavalry. Very few elephants are used.
Navy: 190 ships
Income (Raw –Upkeep): 23,400 – 22,900 = 500
Treasury: 7,000
Prestige:
Description: When the brief Karmanian state collapsed in the sixth century, the Patalene League (Koinon Patalikon) was formed, comprised of powerful Hellenic poleis along the west Indian coast that had grown rich off the trade with the West and were quite able to defend themselves, thank you. Their greatest success came when Patalan and Palan armies and fleets turned back the seemingly inexorable Chola advance. Since then, inter-state politics have nearly torn the league apart, dominated by the perennial rivalry between Antipatreia, seat of the league, and Barygaza. The declining trade with the West before the ascendancy of Aksum also played a role. A strong elected archon might unify the league; one is needed, in the face of the ominous threat of Areia.

Spoiler stats post 3 :
Pala Empire
Capital: Pataliputra
Ruler/Player: Samraat ?/NPC
Government: Feudal Administrative Monarchy
Factions (Confidence/Strength): Kannauj (4/5), Viceroy of the Gurjaras (3/4), Viceroy of Malwa (3/3), Brahmins (2/4), Bengal (4/3)
Culture: Magadhi, Bengali, and other North Indian peoples, with large numbers of Kambojas in the west; Prakrit-speaking; overwhelmingly Hindu, with very few pockets of Buddhism remaining and a few small Sophist communities.
Army: 40,000 infantry, 16,000 cavalry
Army Description: Large quantities of light levy spearmen, medium guild melee infantry, and longbowmen; some elephants; reliant on Kamboja medium cavalry and chariotry. Few heavy infantry.
Navy: 55 ships
Income (Raw –Upkeep): 43,000 – 42,600 = 400
Treasury: 9,000
Prestige:
Description: The Pala clan of Bengal’s original name is not recorded before the fourth century, when they began to style themselves Pala, or “protector”, after winning victories over the Yavana Baktrians. Since then, the Palas have had nowhere to go but up, spectacularly driving the Baktrians out of the Gangetic Plain under Devapala II in the late fifth century and driving back the seemingly unstoppable Chola wave a few decades later. Yet new problems are beginning to emerge, as the Cholas have been working to recover their balance, while new Yavana kingdoms emerge in Kaspeireia and Patalene. Once again, the Palas will have to muster a supreme effort to deal with the many foes that encircle them.

Ganga Empire
Capital: Talakad
Ruler/Player: Raja Polavira/NPC
Government: Decentralized Aristocratic Monarchy
Culture: Kannadiga Indian; chiefly Hale Kannada-speaking; religiously Hindu with coastal centers of Sophist, Greek polytheistic, Jewish, and Buddhist worship.
Army: 14,000 infantry, 2,000 cavalry
Army Description: Reliant on guild medium melee infantry, longbowmen, some medium cavalry (chiefly supplied by Kambojas), and urban spear and archer militias. Virtually no heavy cavalry. Some elephants.
Navy: 150 ships
Description: The troubles of the Chola Empire in the sixth century spawned a new state, that of the Gangas, which successfully defended its independence. Over the last few decades, the Ganga economy has been able to benefit from the recent rise in Indian Ocean trade, benefiting many of the coastal cities at the expense of the monarchy, which now despairs of finding the resources to militarily resist the Cholas if they sally forth once again.

Kingdom of Kalinga
Capital: Rajapura
Ruler/Player: Raja Srutayu/NPC
Culture: Oriya Indian; Prakrit-speaking; chiefly religiously Hindu, focusing on Sun worship, outside of a small pocket of Buddhists.
Army: 10,000 infantry, 1,000 cavalry
Army Description: Reliant on guild medium melee infantry, longbowmen, some medium cavalry (chiefly supplied by Kambojas), and urban spear and archer militias. Virtually no heavy cavalry. Some elephants.
Navy: 40 ships
Description: The various Kalingan states down through the centuries have long been the catspaw of neighboring powers. Their leaders are now quite used to the role, and have elevated ‘being an intermediary power’ to an art form.

Chola Empire
Capital: Thanjavur
Ruler/Player: Maharajadhiraja ?/NPC
Government: Decentralized Feudal Plutocratic Monarchy
Factions (Confidence/Strength): Chola bureaucracy (2/4), Great Viceroy of Maharashtra (3/4), Viceroy of the Nalas (3/2), Merchantry (4/3), Matha (3/2)
Culture: Tamil, with large numbers of Maharashtrans and Andhras; Old Tamil-speaking, with large numbers of Prakrit speakers in the north; almost wholly Hindu.
Army: 23,000 infantry, 3,000 cavalry
Army Description: Reliant on light spearmen and archers, with some cavalry (incl. Kambojas) and elephants. Few heavy infantry, all of which are provided by guilds.
Navy: 170 ships
Income (Raw –Upkeep): 34,500 – 34,150 = 350
Prestige:
Description: The Tamil people had been but a fief of the Satavahana emperors until Aditya Chola revolted against their power and drove them north of the Krishna River in the waning years of the fifth century. Aditya’s son Vikrama and grandson Athirajendra brought Chola power even further north, destroying Satavahana power totally and conquering all of Maharashtra. Only the combined power of the new Yavana state of Patalene and the great Pala Empire could halt Athirajendra’s armies, which they did in a terrific series of wars in the 520s. But after that, the Cholas’ too-quickly built empire began to fall apart around their ears; the Gangas broke away entirely, while Maharashtra was only held by appointing a native viceroy. The most recent round of civil wars has finally come to an end, but if the Cholas are to seize foreign opportunities they must first be careful to not disturb their jury-rigged domestic foundation.

Kingdom of Anuradhapura
Capital: Anuradhapura
Ruler/Player: Sri Aggabodhi/NPC
Government: Theocratic Administrative Monarchy
Culture: Sinhalese; proto-Sinhala-speaking; almost wholly Buddhist.
Army: 5,000 infantry
Army Description: Chiefly comprised of a small body of professional spearmen, with levy spearmen, chariotry, and cavalry assembled during wartime. Some elephants.
Navy: 40 ships
Description: Anuradhapura, the quiet, out of the way, Buddhist kingdom centered on an eponymous city that has ruled Ceylon for centuries, is chiefly remarkable for being, well, a center of Buddhism in an Indian world that tends to frown on such things. It is also the sacred resting place of the sacred Tooth of the Buddha.

Tantan Qaganate
Ruler/Player: Qagan ?/NPC
Government: Steppe Tribal Confederacy
Factions (Confidence/Strength): Ulug Tantan (4/4), Tantan Qoriltai (4/3), Tiele yabghu (2/4), Jiankun yabghu (4/2), Xazarlar yabghu (3/3)
Culture: Usual steppe mixture, including Turkic, Mongolic, Tungusic, and Iranian peoples; mostly Old Turkish-speaking; mostly Tengriist.
Army: 40,000 cavalry
Army Description: Chiefly comprised of horse archers and lancers, both cataphract and unarmored. Some levy spearmen and archers are available. No heavy infantry of any kind are used.
Income (Raw –Upkeep): 29,200 – 30,500 = -1,300
Treasury: 5,000
Prestige:
Description: Until a century ago, the Wusun held sway over the Tarim Basin and the old trade routes of Central Asia. Then came the Tantan, who drove them eastwards and established a strong power of their own, wiping out what was left of the local Sakas and Xiongnu. The Tantan chiefs were the first to adopt the title of qagan and, more importantly, the first to exploit the rich iron veins of the Altais. This, along with the control of virtually the entire supply of jade to China, has made the Tantan qagans extremely fearsome and powerful. Tantan horsemen rule the steppes. The only thing the qagans need fear is another, stronger steppe foe replacing them…

Xianbei Qaganate
Ruler/Player: Qagan Shegui/NPC
Government: Steppe Confederal Monarchy
Culture: Xianbei, with heavy Sinic and Turkic influences; various Turkic, Mongolic, Tungusic, and Sinic languages are all widespread, with a Xianbei lingua franca used for inter-tribal communication; religiously Tengriist.
Army: 25,000 cavalry
Army Description: Chiefly comprised of horse archers and lancers, both cataphract and unarmored. Some levy spearmen and archers are available. No heavy infantry of any kind are used.
Description: The Liang broke up the last effective Xiongnu confederacy three hundred and fifty years ago, and the Xianbei came in to replace it. In many ways they are overshadowed by their neighbors the Tantan, but they are a major military power in their own right and not to be trifled with.

Houqin Dynasty
Capital: Pingcheng
Government: Confederal Tribal Monarchy
Factions (Confidence/Strength): Da Wusun (5/4), Xiao Yuezhi (2/3), Murong Xianbei (3/3), Tuqi of the Right (4/4), Tuqi of the Left (2/3)
Culture: Normal steppe mixture, with Wusun, Turkic, and Mongolic elements; largely Turkic- and Saka-speaking; mostly Tengriist, with some Buddhist tribes.
Army: 35,000 cavalry
Army Description: Chiefly comprised of horse archers and lancers, including cataphract cavalry. Some levy spearmen and archers are available; no heavy infantry is used.
Income (Raw –Upkeep): 25,600 – 26,800 = -1,200
Infrastructure: Pathetic
Prestige:
Description: The Wusun, after being defeated by the Yuezhi in the 160s BC, were driven westwards, out of their Gan homeland to the Tarim Basin and the Ili Valley. Only when the Tantan arrived in the 490s were the Wusun forced back east, into their old haunts east of Dunhuang. Upon arriving, the Wusun forced the Xiao Yuezhi into their confederacy, and soon expanded to conquer much of the western Huanghe. They have been a new weight in the balance of power in China, and one that will require some adjustment before it is made to fit.

Daliang Dynasty
Capital: Bianliang
Government: Semi-Feudal Centralized Aristocratic Monarchy
Factions (Confidence/Strength): Inner Court (4/3), State bureaucracy (3/3), Da Yuezhi (4/4), Sun clique (4/2), Xu clique (3/3)
Culture: Large group of Yuezhi ruling over a much larger group of Chinese, with some Turkic and Xianbei settlers in the mix; Yuezhi are Middle Tocharian-speaking, the populace is overall Middle Chinese-speaking; the state has adopted many Daoist practices in an effort to link itself with the general populace, who tend towards various millenarian cosmologies, including Daoism.
Army: 55,000 infantry, 60,000 cavalry
Army Description: Reliant on mostly-native Chinese military settlers for medium and heavy infantry; Yuezhi-provided cavalry (horse archers and shock cavalry, cataphract and unarmored) predominate in the mounted arm. Midrange missile infantry are more widely used than are archers.
Navy: 130 ships
Income (Raw –Upkeep): 83,900 – 82,800 = 1,100
Treasury: 10,000
Prestige:
Description: The Indo-European Yuezhi, long the most powerful of the peoples bordering the Chinese civilization, have played a prominent role in the north since their destruction of the Xiongnu in the second century BC. It was only with the return of the Wusun and the collapse of the great Han Empire a century and a half later that they were forced to migrate to the lands around the Huanghe, and it was only three hundred years ago, due to the collapse of the Qi, successors to the Han, that their chief proclaimed himself emperor. Now, their military power, unmatched throughout China, has led them into a position of great prominence. It remains to be seen if they can go further, and reunite all China, or perhaps fall prey to jealous neighbors.

Dayang Dynasty
Capital: Linxiang
Factions (Confidence/Strength): Inner court (4/3), Royal bureaucracy (4/4), Zhu clique (3/2), Gu clique (2/3), Lu clique (2/2), Buqu (4/4)
Culture: Chinese, with various Turkic, Xianbei, and Mongolic groups settled in the north and some Yue settled in the south; Middle Gan Chinese is most often used in the core territories, with Turkic dialects spoken in the north and Xiang Chinese in the east; state ideology of governance is focused on Confucianism and Legalist ideas, with millenarian cults (incl. Daoism) and Buddhism gaining a growing following among the general populace.
Army: 70,000 infantry, 25,000 cavalry
Army Description: Military colony-based supply of heavy and medium infantry and midrange missile units predominates, along with medium cavalry chiefly raised from settled pastoralist groups.
Navy: 80 ships
Income (Raw –Upkeep): 71,300 - 70,500 = 800
Treasury: 7,500
Prestige:
Description: Originally, the Yang were claimed to be a ‘continuation’ of the dead Qi Dynasty, but their hold on the provinces began to crumble within decades, weakened further by serious blows from the Liang. Yet in the fifth and sixth centuries the Yang, especially under the reign of Jianwen (471-509), recovered many of their provinces, and rebuilt a military that, if not as powerful as that of the Liang to the north, at least had a chance of standing toe-to-toe with them. But any ruler of the Yang must be careful, for enemies lurk to every side, and concentrating too intensely on one may leave him open to attack from another.

Wu Dynasty
Capital: Jianye
Factions (Confidence/Strength): Inner court (4/4), Royal bureaucracy (3/3), Merchantry (4/3), Shi clique (2/4), Xie clique (3/2), Buqu (3/3)
Culture: Chinese, with a significant Yue population in the south and some Turkic and Xianbei groups settled in the north; mostly Middle Wu-speaking, with some Yue-speakers in the south; Daoist and other millenarian cults command large followings among the peasantry, and there are large numbers of Buddhists, especially settled along the coast, but court ideology remains largely Confucian.
Army: 45,000 infantry, 15,000 cavalry
Army Description: Based chiefly on urban militias and a small core of military colonies (supplying chiefly medium melee and spear infantry, and midrange missile infantry), with some Turkic and Xianbei groups settled in the north supplying some medium and heavy cataphract cavalry.
Navy: 220 ships
Income (Raw –Upkeep): 75,600 – 74,700 = 900
Treasury: 9,000
Prestige:
Description: One of the many competing states to emerge from the messy demise of the Qi Dynasty, the maritime Wu have survived the test of time, so far. Under their late ruler, the great Yi, their old enemy, the Beiyue dynasty, was destroyed, chiefly by the Wu fleet, which is preeminent throughout China. Having resisted the onrushes of the Liang and the methodical, overwhelming numbers of the Yang, Wu now has an opening to strike back, perhaps ultimately to claim the long-abeyant imperium.

Nanyue Dynasty
Capital: Panyu
Government: Semi-Feudal Aristocratic Monarchy
Factions (Confidence/Strength): Royal court (4/4), Royal bureaucracy (2/3), Ying clique (4/3), Anguo clique (2/3), Merchantry (4/3)
Culture: Some Chinese (incl. the royal family) but general population is largely Yue; Yue-speaking; almost wholly Buddhist (incl. state ideology) but Daoist and other millennialist cults have gained a significant following among the peasantry in the north.
Army Description: Urban spear militias, archers, and midrange missile infantry form the backbone of the army, with some medium cavalry units playing a secondary role.
Navy: 175 ships
Income (Raw –Upkeep): 54,700 – 54,200 = 500
Treasury: 8,000
Prestige:
Description: Some call it a miracle that the Nanyue have survived for this long. In some ways, they are the last relic of a bygone age; their first ruler had served the First Emperor before carving out a separate kingdom for himself. But in others, they are at the very wavefront of change. Nanyue is one of the few Buddhist states in the world, and is as active in proselytizing as anyone would expect. As the Buddhist faith spreads through China, new opportunities are opening up. For too long, Nanyue have been forced to play Yang against Wu (and vice versa) in their periodic wars and proxy conflicts. Perhaps now they can become strong enough to have their own say.

Kingdom of Champa
Capital: Indrapura
Ruler/Player: King Simhavarman II/NPC
Government: Feudal Aristocratic Monarchy
Culture: Cham, with heavy Indianizing and some Sinicizing elements; Cham-speaking, with some Prakrit and Yue Chinese speakers; religiously Hindu, with a large Buddhist population.
Army: 2,000 infantry
Army Description: Mostly urban spear militias and an assortment of light infantry and skirmishers. Few cavalry.
Navy: 60 ships
Description: The Cham people, or their predecessors, were formerly ruled by the Nanyue before domestic problems and wars forced the Nanyue to abandon the region in the second century. Since then, they lived much as they had before until the paradigm shift that arrived with the importation of Hindu culture two centuries ago.

Kingdom of Funan
Capital: Óc Eo
Ruler/Player: King Rudravarman/NPC
Government: Decentralized Feudal Aristocratic Monarchy
Culture: Funanese, with heavy settlements of Thai and Khmer autonomous peoples; Funanese/Old Khmer-speaking, with Prakrit popular in most of the ports; chiefly Buddhist, with a strong Hindu minority.
Army: 4,000 infantry
Army Description: Mostly urban spear militias and an assortment of light infantry and skirmishers. Few cavalry.
Navy: 75 ships
Description: Nakhor Phnom, Phù Nam, or, as the Chinese call it, Funan, was once ruler of all of southern Indochina, centered around the mouths of the Chao Phraya and Mekong. That changed with the arrival of the Thai in the west fifty years ago. Control of the Chao Phraya valley was lost, along with the lucrative control over the Isthmus of Kra. Funan is now a declining state, ruined by the Thai settlement and the collapse of much of the trade on which it used to thrive.

Kingdom of Jin-guk
Capital: Ungjin
Ruler/Player: Seong Wang/NPC
Government: Semi-Feudal Aristocratic Monarchy
Culture: Korean, with heavy Sinic and Japanese influences; Silla Korean-speaking; shamanistic religions (influenced by Chinese mythology) are the most prevalent, although Buddhism is gaining a following in port cities.
Army: 25,000 infantry, 7,000 cavalry
Army Description: Chiefly comprised of medium spearmen, midrange missile infantry, and medium cavalry. Few melee infantry are available.
Description: The Korean peoples emerged from their Three Kingdoms period rather rudely 170 years ago, after the invasions of the Liang destroyed the hitherto-dominant Buyeo state in the north. The Samhan confederacy of Jin rose to the occasion and led the Korean peoples to defeat the Liang invaders, but since then the Liang have continued to make slow progress in on and off wars, while the Yamato have begun a naval rivalry. Even more insidious, foreign tongues and religions are beginning to gain a hold on the Korean peninsula…

Yamato Empire
Capital: Keishi
Government: Feudal Tribal Aristocratic Monarchy
Factions (Confidence/Strength): Imperial Family (5/3), Soga clan (4/3), Kasai clan (2/2), Taira clan (4/3), Gamō clan (2/3)
Culture: Yamato, with heavy Korean and Sinic influences; Old Japanese-speaking; native Japanese religion is most prevalent, but Buddhism and Daoism, though they have not spread very far yet, are growing in popularity, especially in the western port cities.
Army: 10,000 infantry, 2,000 cavalry
Army Description: Reliant on light and medium infantry, both spearmen and melee, with some skirmishers and midrange missile infantry. Few cavalry are used, but horse archers and light cavalry are both represented.
Navy: 120 ships
Income (Raw –Upkeep): 19,400 – 19,200 = 200
Treasury: 1,400
Prestige:
Description: The settlement of the Japanese islands by the Chinese and Korean migrants derisively referred to by the Chinese courts as Wa is still a comparatively recent phenomenon. It is only in the last century that an Emperor has achieved ascendancy over the rest of the various clans that knit Yamato society together. This somewhat disorganized political structure is balanced, however, by a fairly powerful military, energized by the strength of the clans, which has in the last few decades gone so far as to fight on the Asian mainland in Jin. It remains to be seen what can be made of the Yamato polity, for paths lead in every direction.

Aight, go ahead and post now. :p

If you've got any further questions about the setting or the stats, don't hesitate to ask, though be aware that I'm likely as not to say "I haven't thought about that", because it's a Guess-the-PoD map. You'll be able to make up large elements of the backstory yourselves, as long as it doesn't contradict the backstory that I have worked up.

It would appear as though CFC has attached my PNG as an artifact-y jpeg; I'll edit this post with a better image once I've uploaded it somewhere else. :(

EDIT:

Year 600 Map (Imageshack link), Year 600 Map (Imagehost link)

DaNES II - Without Vikings

I would like to claim the Kingdom of Thraikia.
I'm happy to see that you're interested, but I'd had it in mind to keep Thraikia permanently NPCed, at least until the more powerful countries are filled in. Are you interested in anything else? There are a few other states that have similar positions to Thraikia. :)

First Choice: Yang Yunfen of Wu
Second Choice: Zhao Shaoqi of Nanyue
Third Choice: Archon Heliokles of the League of Patalene

NESing Strengths: Obsessive coalition building via communication channels, obsessive attention whoring via communication channels, Chinese heritage, avoidance of being typecast.

NESing Accomplishments: Somehow being classified as a half-decent player despite never playing for more than two turns as one polity in a NES.

I would like to claim the Kingdom of Kimmerian Bosporos if possible.

Oh, I couldn't tell if my choice was bolded or not the color makes it difficult to tell.

1st choice: Kingdom of Kimmerian Bosporos.
2nd choice: Iberian Empire
3rd choice: Kingdom of Makedonia

NESing Strengths: Coordinating Military attacks/invasions among allies (See Deseret in INES II during Great North American War.), helped create one of the most powerful alliances in INES II, showed great brilliance in diplomatic maneuvering and cunning.

Awards/achievements in NESes: Created world's most efficient navy in 4 years after losing more than half of my navy in a sneak attack. Most influential country in North America as Deseret. Most strategic and tactical in my battle plans and orders, my army never lost a battle in some of the most ferocious wars it was involved in, despite being outnumbered 90% of the time. My special forces took over a nuclear facility without a single casualty after a long a careful planning stage. Created an North American alliance to counter an aggressive American Federation and coordinated an attack on all fronts that shocked the rest of the world and turned the tables in 1 year. Deseret was fighting on 3 fronts in a 3 year span, rebels in Oregon, Venezuela in Mexico and Texas, the American Federation in the east, and won all of them and emerged stronger than her enemies. (Though one of them may disagree... ;) Abaddon.)

All of this was in my most recent NES, INES II.

If you want more achievements I can post them, but I am sure this should be adequate for now.

My 3 choices in order of importance:

Kingdom of Aigyptos, Askumite Empire, and the Chola Empire.

Experience:
Done pretty well in LINESII as Gorin, won a few awards there, multiple Gold, Silver and Bronze awards, LINESII and the Gorin nation was my single greatest NESing accomplishment. That might not be much but it's something. I'd like to say I did well in BombNES but it only reached 4 updates and hasn't finished yet. I united Germany as Prussia in ABNW and did reasonably well, moving from a minor power to a major one, and nearly doubling the size of Prussia (later the German Empire). I might be forgeting something somewhere.

NESing Strengths
Diplomacy, research if wikipedia counts (lol), political intrigue?, Stories.

Requesting Daliang Dynasty (Dropping claim to Yamato after considering stats)

PM incoming...

Nice apps, guys :D
I would like to claim the Kingdom of Kimmerian Bosporos if possible.
They're pretty cool, yeah. Cooking up an application?
I don't need a damn application! I'm not some kind of Kraznaya!
That's certainly one way to do things. Probably won't get you very far though.
Requesting Daliang Dynasty (Dropping claim to Yamato after considering stats)

PM incoming...
Yamato is a clan-based society, so the only "standing army" they can conceivably have is the imperial household guard and associated soldiers. In times of war, the emperor would be able to command a vastly larger army based on levies from his loyal clans. So Yamato isn't as weak as it looks.

But the Liang are, of course, the most powerful state in the neighborhood...

Applying for DaiLiang Dynasty (Panormos second choice).

NESing Strengths: Half-Chinese (if this counts for the role), Extensive pre-turn planning, decent knowledge of history, have politician in family.

Experience: Admittedly not much- I have played in a few NESes, but most of them have ended too quickly to have actual experience.

Didn't realize my first pick was bolded, so my post was updated with other choices and a summary of my history and skills. Might send you a PM outlining my future with the Kimmerians soon.

Ego Quotes:
(Yes some of its silly, I just searched "Abaddon Awards"

Nation Awards

• Largest Colonial Empire: Portugal. First Perfectionist, then Abaddon has worked to build the largest and most impressive overseas empire.

Player Awards

Most Ambitious: Abaddon

Best use of the rules to gain power etc.: Abaddon & Perfectionist. Perfectionist started with Portugal and made it a world power taking Abaddon’s Egypt down as he grew. Then he left. Abaddon took Portugal and raised it to another level. Many of the changes to the rules were because Abaddon found ways to exploit them.

Best orders by a new Player: Abaddon. Thorough, detailed, and well organized.

Awards

Best Builder (Runner-up) : Abaddon's Catavelu (Feanor's Parthia)
Best Diplomat (Runner-up) : Abaddon's Catavelu (Feanor's Parthia)

Greatest Change : Abaddon's Catavelu
What started as a worthless little hovel in Britain became the most influential empire in the west, shaping regional politics.

Taught Me The Most About Writing Rules : Abaddon

Era 29: The Reinizonic Era

Branching awards: Abaddon, erez87 and Grombar each have +1 gene bonus this time.

Most efficient orders: Abaddon

2001-2006 Semi-Awards: Because It’s Great To Argue Endlessly About The Nuke Thing, But Other Parts of the Game Were Much More Fun

Venezuela/Abaddon
Both player and country get the Most Manipulative award. They had their paws in stuff I still don’t want to mention for the sake of the game if it continues. More obvious, but equally important, is Venezuela’s Most Wealthy Nation award. It deserves the title for its economy stat, but also for several things most of you don’t know. Also, Venezuela gets the Most Mercantile Nation award, beating out even the Northern Collective, as well as the Most Influential South American Nation award. Last but not least, Abaddon gets the Most Fun to Read Orders award. He knows why.

Yamato is a clan-based society, so the only "standing army" they can conceivably have is the imperial household guard and associated soldiers. In times of war, the emperor would be able to command a vastly larger army based on levies from his loyal clans. So Yamato isn't as weak as it looks.

But the Liang are, of course, the most powerful state in the neighborhood...

Armies numbers aside, I was also considering economics. The Chinese states stomp on Yamato greatly in this.

Do we have a concrete X units cost X upkeep?

What costs to raise troops? Does it equal a turns upkeep?

I'm happy to see that you're interested, but I'd had it in mind to keep Thraikia permanently NPCed, at least until the more powerful countries are filled in. Are you interested in anything else? There are a few other states that have similar positions to Thraikia. :)

That'll explain the lack of stats.

Instead I'll apply for the Kingdom of Mysia. If I can't have Thraikia I'll take it by force jk.

My style of play is generally quiet. I like to playing middling regional powers with potential for expansion. I don't consider myself an aggressive player although I'm more than happy to take advantage of a situation when required.

Recently I haven't been heavily involved in NESing although in ABNW Mexico did fairly well under me. Considering it was fighting a war against the rest of North America.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom