Yet another World Map!! Woohoo!!

thestonesfan

A Client of Ron Kuby
Okay - I made this map primarily for my personal use, but someone may want to try it out. I wanted a world map with a big enough Europe to host the appropriate number of civs. Thus, it is quite distorted.

It's 180x180, so hopefully it won't run all that slow on most computers.

IT'S NOT ACCURATE!! So don't go complaining that Turkey is messed up or that Hawaii is out of whack. I didn't want to spend the rest of my life making this. I took some liberties at the expense of realism, but the basics are there. Europe is so disproportunate that it would have been tough to make it much more accurate than it is now.

I haven't put in any resources, goody huts, barb camps, or starting locations yet. I though that some people like to do add those themselves, so I figured I'd release a clean one and then one with reosurces if anyone wants it. I plan on making a modest little mod, and I can post that as well.

Anyway, I haven't tried a game on it yet, so I'm not sure how it will work. I hope someone has some fun with it. Enjoy!

EDIT - Now the map is chock full of resources! For now, I just stuck with the normal Civ3 resources. There are also starting locations for the 24 normal civs. I made plenty of room for others, though - I especially recommend adding a couple in SE Europe. I put the Celts in Ireland. Cramped, but they ought to be a lot of fun.

Attachments

• distorted_reg_startloc.zip
    72 KB · Views: 350
Here's a shot of Europe...

Attachments

• distworld1.jpg
    distworld1.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 2,591
Asia...

Attachments

• distwordl2.jpg
    distwordl2.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 2,505
*sifting through the mass of comments*

Would anyone care for a resource version? If so, would you rather have accurate distribution, or fair distribution? I think I'll go for a mix.

Seeing that accuracy wasn't the #1 priority in designing the actual map, I think game-play should be the main concern in in resource placements too.

Still, that of course doesn't rule out having some accuracy, like having Ivory in Africa and/or South Asia, rather than in Canada (where Furs would be more appropriate).

That's what I was thinking.

I'm thinking of making a Liberace unit that requires Ivory. :D

pretty good, i like how S. A. is pretty small compared to N. A. seeing as how most of it is jungle and mountains.

1.....more......post:D

Has anyone put resources on this map yet? I've done some of it, but it's getting tiresome. Making a world map is like having a child. They require a lot of commitment. Maybe I'll just make 'em random. Might be interesting.

thestonesfan,

I really like this map. Intend to use it for my next
personal mod. (My old mod. refuses to load after 1.27f).

Great work!

Thank you.

Rocoteh

Thanks, Rocoteh!

I've made a version with resources on it, I just haven't gotten around to uploading it yet. I'll see if I have time tonight.

Originally posted by Rocoteh
thestonesfan,

I really like this map. Intend to use it for my next
personal mod. (My old mod. refuses to load after 1.27f).

Great work!

Thank you.

Rocoteh
did you change the labels.txt?

thestonesfan,

No problem with your map.

Its my old mod (DyP-variant) who crashes.

As I said I intend to use your map for the new mod.
I will also have in mind that AI never build more
than 2 type of units at a given time (for each CIV)
when creating the new mod.

Rocoteh

Cool! Let me know how it goes. I think most European civs will have enough room to be powers. At least, that was the goal. If you put the Dutch or Portuguese in, it might get a little crowded. But there ought to be room for Poland and Hungary at least.

thestonesfan,

Yes I will come with info when work with the mod
have progressed.
I think it was a very good idea that you made Europa
oversized. On standard maps Europa become to crowded
with CIV:s.

Rocoteh

This is a cool idea. Reminds me of the old maps on Mercator's projection, which makes the northern hemisphere larger (due to the fact that the equator is not vertically in the middle).

:thumbsup:

The map is now updated with resources and starting locations! So it's ready to play!

Thanks, aaglo! This map looks forward to being populated by your ships! :)

Here's a shot of the Middle East and Africa area, cause I know people like screenshots...

Attachments

• distme.jpg
    distme.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,767
Just to show the size disparity between Europe and North America...

(Just don't zoom out during the game and it shouldn't be so weird looking.) :)

Attachments

• distatl.jpg
    distatl.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 1,797
I'd download, but I lack PTW>

Top Bottom