Yet (not) Another Bit Map Converter - An easier way to create maps for Civ 6

Zobtzler

Chieftain

This is a bitmap to civ 6 map converter made in C# (works for windows as it's an .exe).

I call it the Yet (not) Another Bit Map Converter (after some collaboration with Gedemon, the YnAMP guy, who showed me how to created maps in lua)

You create your map using Photoshop, Gimp, Paint.NET, MS Paint or any other image editing software.

Maps are saved as 24-bit bitmap files (.bmp) and then my program will convert it into a fully functional map (built the same way as the YnAMP maps).

You can also create your maps in the ingame worldbuilder (without having to place down resources, features, continents, cliffs, natural wonders or rivers

This is a map I've made myself using this program:

Americas
Spoiler :

You can download that map here
I've also made these with the tool: Middle East, Northern Europe, The World of Avatar

A download link to the program can be found here

The link is safe, but here is a link to the github page as it’s open source (Remember to use the "Master" branch as other branches are under development and can be buggy)

Here is a link to the manual/instructions

Gedemon made a good manual for the Civ 5 to Civ 6 converting process here

So far it’s in alpha, but it works really well (to the extent I've used it). Please give me feedback on how it runs, and report any bugs if you find them! And also provide feedback on the manual/instructions if you have any (as it will be expanded in the future)!

HAPPY MAPPING!

Last edited:
VERSION HISTORY

v0.3.4.1
- Small hotfix for lakes

v0.3.4
- Added support for lowland floodland generation

v0.3.2
- Fixed issue where floodplains on plains would delete previous lua-code generated for that tile

v0.3.1
- Fixed bug where worldbuilder sets a volcano tile to a hills + volcano instead of mountain + volcano. The program replaces hills with a mountain instead.
- Added sample Real City Naming entry in Map.xml

v0.3
- Updated for Gathering Storm

v0.2.0.2
- Changed a 0 to a 1 in the output so it's easier to compare BMP results to LOG results

v0.2.0.1
- Fixed error where BMP generated maps wouldn't generate terrain without hills.

v0.2
- Added the ability to generate maps with Lua.log files from Civ 5 (needs external lua script with firetuner)

v0.1.4.1 (v0.1.2, v0.1.3 & v0.1.4 on github)
- Separated lake and coast colours. Cliffs won't generate on hill tiles next to lakes
- Added the ability to generate maps with the Lua.log file, via the Export Map To Log feature in Yet (not) Another Maps Pack, instead of only a .bmp image

v0.1.1
- Fixed issue where steam workshop uploader would crash upon loading the map folder

v0.1
- Alpha release

Last edited:
Hi!

I have experienced a small issue... The game with my map started as it was designed but now I am unable to load a saved file of this game (the load game button is inactive) Do you have an idea why?

Thanks

Hi!

I have experienced a small issue... The game with my map started as it was designed but now I am unable to load a saved file of this game (the load game button is inactive) Do you have an idea why?

Thanks
Have you updated your map to a new version, or have you removed some older mods?

Hmm... now you are saying :).. I am using the 0.1.4.1 version...
I have restarted the game and now it's ok... The only difference is the auto-generated city states... (in the corrupted game I have Alamut from the CIVITAS Seljuq Turks mod which I had problems previously) So most probably it is not related to the converter...
Btw great job :)

Hi Zobtzler

Thank you for your fantastic work! I tried converting a civ5 map using your tool and the method described by Gedemon here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...civ6-using-zobtzlers-ynabmc-and-ynamp.636940/ .

The created mod shows up as expected as an installed mod, but unfortunately the game fails with an error when trying to create a game with the map in it selected. I have tried with both imported, empty and generated for the various settings. The mod was intended to be used as TSL, but the locations havent been placed yet - I was trying to create a game without tsl to find the coordinates for the various civs. I suspect it is somehow a problem with your program and really hope you can help:).

I have attached the civ5, the created mod, and a screenshot of the error message from civ6.

Best Regards

Attachments

• Civ5to6MapError.jpg
    Civ5to6MapError.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 416
  • Ecv_EuropeEnlarged.zip
    39.5 KB · Views: 285
  • GEMbeta002_ecv_v18.Civ5Map
    175.8 KB · Views: 201
I am unfortunately out of town for a few more days. Are you sure you are using the latest version? (0.2.0.2)

I was using the 0.2.0.1 version. I'll try the process again tomorrow with the 0.2.0.2 version. Thanks for your quick reply.

The 0.2.0.1 version is known to have this problem. Hopefully it should work for you with 0.2.0.2

I tried now with the 0.2.0.2 version of the program (build from the github code, the exe download contains the 0.2.0.1 version). Regrettably the reported problem persists. Is there some prerequisite for the civ5 map that I'm not doing? Should I remove the civ5 natural wonders? Verify the river flows? Something else?

Here is the Database and Modding log. I removed natural wonders and fixed some rivers on the civ5map, but to no avail. The logs are from failure of this latest version. I have attached it all for good measure. The map Im trying to convert is btw. a somewhat changed version of the scaled up Europe map that you also have in the UnAMP map pack Gedemon. Thank you for your support!

Attachments

• Database.log.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 182
  • Ecv_EuropeEnlarged3.zip
    39.4 KB · Views: 236
  • Modding.log.txt
    91.5 KB · Views: 219
  • GEMbeta002_ecv_v20.Civ5Map
    175.8 KB · Views: 284
Here's the Lua log as well. It looks like something in the map generation fails. Note that this is from a different attempt than the two logs posted above, but the only variation should be some experimentation with import/generate/empty for the map setup (it fails no matter what is selected).

Attachments

• Lua.log.txt
    58.1 KB · Views: 180
I got it to work now. I just needed to update YnAMP to the latest version. Sorry about that and Thanks:)

Well, man, now it's time to update it. It does not work anymore with the Gathering Storm.

Yup. I'm working on updating the program. Currently waiting on Gedemon to fix the last things with his YnAMP, since YnABMC is dependent on that mod

A map I created works when I run a game with it, but does not show up in the worldbuilder for me to fine tune. I can find the files, but the game doesn’t recognize any maps in them.

Top Bottom