Resource icon

Yorkshire Civ Version 17-1-21

Meaniehead

Chieftain
Meaniehead submitted a new resource:

Yorkshire Civ - A unique civilization based on the county of Yorkshire in England

*Please note currently the civ is broken (crashing back to main menu) and I'm uploading only because I'm asking for help fixing it. As a newbie I just want to say I appreciate any and all help received. Ultimately I will credit all those who help me get this working.*

This civ is based on my home county of Yorkshire in England. Anyone from England will recognize that as probably one of the most self-deprecatingly arrogant places around and so I figured it deserved a full civ. The civ...

Read more about this resource...

Meaniehead updated Yorkshire Civ with a new update entry:

Fully functional Yorkshire civ under Paulinus, 1st Bishop of York

This is now a fully functional civ under Paulinus, 1st Bishop of York. It's aimed primarily at a religious victory or a cultural victory. Further tailoring will be done in the following days, mostly to add alternative leaders aimed at the other victory conditions. Also looking into reducing Paulinus to just aiming for a religious win by further tailoring the Tyke towards faith and removing Great Artiste generation. Finally, if I get time, I intend to try to find some way of adding art and...

Read the rest of this update entry...

For the Moor improvement, when you say required adjacency of a Moor, I assume you're looking to add more bonuses if another Moor is adjacent similar to Great Wall? If so, you'll want to put that in <Adjacency_YieldChanges> with "AdjacentImprovement" as the attribute that triggers the additional bonus. I don't know if it's possible to require an adjacent improvement to build one of the same type--as that would effectively prevent you from building them due to a chicken or the egg scenario.

Actually, it's the second scenario I was thinking of, Kodimus, that of limiting Ilkla Moor placement to being next to Ilkla Moor. The Great Wall achieves this. I thought it was through the "linear build" flag (or something like that, I forget the exact name), but I tried that on Ilkla Moor early on and unless I made some basic mistake it didn't limit the build in such a way. There are two reasons that I'm thinking of doing this. First, is power. I'm thinking that allowing the addition of culture, food and housing to every grassland tile in the game might be too powerful. I may be wrong on that though. I find I'm building far less Ilkla Moor tiles as I play test than I expected - first because if there's a resource I'd rather utilize it and second because there isn't as much grassland as I first thought. Second is a thematic reason. In reality, Ilkley Moor (the Yorkshire dialect of Ilkley being Ilkla) is one specific area. It therefore makes very little sense to allow the same moorland to exist in areas far disjoint from one another. I could simply make it moorland generally, but that isn't as cohesive with the Yorkshire theme of the civ, given that the unofficial county anthem (and the reason for me using this) is the song "On Ilkla Moor Bah t' At" (On Ilkley Moor Without Your Hat), a rather silly song about a guy romancing a gal on Ilkley Moor while improperly dressed for the weather, dying of cold, being buried by his friends, eaten by worms, which are eaten by ducks, which are in turn eaten by his friends and thus he's back with them again... Yeah, we Tykes are rather messed up. ;)

Yeah that seems like a tough nut to crack. I'll dig through the files and see if I can spot something that might help accomplish this. One potential albeit clunky way of doing it might be twin improvements, one that can only be built on marshes and the other that requires that marsh-only improvement as an adjacency to effectively extend the size of the marshland?

Moorland is mostly natural/semi-natural grassland, usually uplands. I know it can include low-lying wetlands such as Sedgemoor, but Ilkley Moor looks more like this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilkley_Moor#/media/File:Ilkley_Moor.jpg

Now, it could be argued that therefore I should only include hills, but there's a lot of flatter, rolling countryside with it too, though usually still relatively upland. I also decided not to limit it to hills as that would be TOO limiting and difficult to make contiguous to any meaningful extent.

Moorland is mostly natural/semi-natural grassland, usually uplands. I know it can include low-lying wetlands such as Sedgemoor, but Ilkley Moor looks more like this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilkley_Moor#/media/File:Ilkley_Moor.jpg

Now, it could be argued that therefore I should only include hills, but there's a lot of flatter, rolling countryside with it too, though usually still relatively upland. I also decided not to limit it to hills as that would be TOO limiting and difficult to make contiguous to any meaningful extent.

Ah, yeah that's a different type of moor than I'm thinking of. I guess what I was thinking of you could refer to as a fen to differentiate. So yeah... I wasn't very helpful with that suggestion. ;)

Top Bottom