you have selected an unusable voice capture device

I tried that but the message still comes up :( it prompts me to save and I do, but each time I go back, the 1 is still there. Any ideas?

There is actually a separate .INI file for each of the expansions, so look for it in the subfolder for whatever expansion you're using.

IE, if you've altered the .INI file in the Civilization IV and Warlords folders, but you're playing Beyond the Sword, it won't fix the problem.

I had the same issue with a copy installed via Steam.

There is an INI under
...\2k Games\Firaxis Games
That one looked fine.

However, since it was a Steam install, and Steam likes to horde information on games in its own folder as well, I checked under there. I found another INI that wasn't fixed, and that solved the problem.
...\SteamApps\common\sid meier's civilization iv

I have tried everything from downloading directx 9 sdx and 9x, turn it off in the .ini file, but the screen is still flashing. The Game behind the flashing is good but I cant play the dog gone game PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP SOMEBODY

I'm brand spanking new to the game and came looking for a solution to the same problem. I have disabled the voice chat thingy every single time I fire it up. I am playing Colonization on the complete edition dvd. It happens when I play Beyond the Sword too. It's kind of driving me nuts.:crazyeye:

i'm brand spanking new to the game and came looking for a solution to the same problem. I have disabled the voice chat thingy every single time i fire it up. I am playing colonization on the complete edition dvd. It happens when i play beyond the sword too. It's kind of driving me nuts.:crazyeye:

bump!

Does no one have a solution that works?

I have Civ4Complete, patched and updated (BTS 3.19 and Colonization 1.01f anyway,) and I'm using Vista 32 bit SP2.

Disabling the option from in-game options doesn't work, and editing the INI file doesn't work. Attached is dxdiag results.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    40.5 KB · Views: 247
There is actually a separate .INI file for each of the expansions, so look for it in the subfolder for whatever expansion you're using.

IE, if you've altered the .INI file in the Civilization IV and Warlords folders, but you're playing Beyond the Sword, it won't fix the problem.

I only play BTS and have altered the ini file in BTS but it still displays that message.

Gentlemen,

The reason that it doesn't save the change to the ini file is that you need to run the game as Administrator. That allows Vista/7 to write to the protected "Program Files (x86)" folder, or the "AppData" folder under the user account. Those are the two places where Civ stores its' files.

Programs are forbidden (in most cases) to write to those folders, unless the user runs the program as Administrator. That means to right click and choose "Run as Admin...", it does NOT mean to be the Administrator account. It's a totally different thing.

This is a Windows issue, not a Civ problem.

Gentlemen,

The reason that it doesn't save the change to the ini file is that you need to run the game as Administrator. That allows Vista/7 to write to the protected "Program Files (x86)" folder, or the "AppData" folder under the user account. Those are the two places where Civ stores its' files.

Programs are forbidden (in most cases) to write to those folders, unless the user runs the program as Administrator. That means to right click and choose "Run as Admin...", it does NOT mean to be the Administrator account. It's a totally different thing.

This is a Windows issue, not a Civ problem.

Thanks! Do I right click on the game icon or the folder to run as administrator?

Thanks! Do I right click on the game icon or the folder to run as administrator?
The easiest way to do this is to navigate to the main BTS folder and right click on the "Civ4BeyondtheSword.exe" file. Choose "Properties", then choose the "Compatibility" tab. At the bottom of that tab beside "Privilege level", select "Run this program as Administrator." Then click "Apply" and close the box. (You can also do this to the desktop shortcut if there is one. If you do, you don't have to do the above.)

Now, every time you run BTS, it will run as Administrator. This way, you only have to do it once, so there's no chance of a misload because you've forgotten. :)

The easiest way to do this is to navigate to the main BTS folder and right click on the "Civ4BeyondtheSword.exe" file. Choose "Properties", then choose the "Compatibility" tab. At the bottom of that tab beside "Privilege level", select "Run this program as Administrator." Then click "Apply" and close the box. (You can also do this to the desktop shortcut if there is one. If you do, you don't have to do the above.)

Now, every time you run BTS, it will run as Administrator. This way, you only have to do it once, so there's no chance of a misload because you've forgotten. :)

I tried to find the Compatibility tab but couldn't see "compatibility" anywhere. Could you give an "idiots explanation" on how to find said folders?

Thanks

I had this happen the first 15 or so times I started the game.
Then one day I started it and there was no message. It just went away on it's own.
I tried to think of what had caused the change, but I didn't do anything to the game files and didn't do anything with any audio devices.

I installed Civ 4 Complete just a few days ago.
Not Civ 4 Complete Edition, which is a different compilation.

Top Bottom