your favourite Civics

bureaucracy have high costs and neither are that great

my eyes! my eyes! :lol:

Nothing wrong with Mercantilism when everyone else is at it as well.

Gandhi in particular shines at bulbing Philo, and running Merc+Paci+PHI when there's nobody trading.

Throw in Rep, and you're laughing!

Favorite Civics,
Classical

Hereditary Rule
Slavery
Organized Religion

Medieval
Hereditary Rule
Bureaucracy
Caste System
Theocracy
Mercantilism

Renaissance/Colonial

Representation
Free Market
Caste System
Free Speech
Free Religion

Late Eras

Universal Suffrage
Free Speech
Emancipation
Environmentalism
Free Religion

U.N civics...

My favorite civics/era

My Favourite is Slavery, but that goes obsolete eventually. For the rest it depends on what I am doing at the time.

I think Free Religion is my favourite civic overall. Any of the other religion civics require spreading your state religion to reap the benefits and cost you diplomatically with other religions. If I have gold and I can afford to spend hammers on a wonder, I'll probably try and build the Paya.

No love for Organized Religion? I usually end up in Caste/Pacifism around the time I reach Civil Service and Bureaucracy, but OR is great for getting infrastructure up quickly with Slavery before making that switch. I am always disappointed when I don't have a good religion to switch into for OR.

One you could never live without, or at least very very rarely...Slavery.
So that would be my first pick. For others, earlier available beats later Civics, that's how Civ goes but leaving that aside and if games wouldn't often be won by then..i would say State Property can change games most significantly. Every city with some green tiles can become powerful, distances becomes unimportant, and it's just very easy to play with such workshops, watermills..

<- See avatar: Caste System.

I never get the most out of it, though, since I very rarely run a city at food deficit.
Caste allows for a rather efficient game, despite imposing very little management onto the player.

No love for Organized Religion?
Yup, sure. Any builder would love Organized Religion :) I've gotten the habit to get all the pre-requisites for Monotheism by the time I can trade techs, so the switch into OR happens asap. Self-researching Monotheism is also frequently tempting (but I'll mostly resist the urge, unless founding Judaism is a possibility or another circumstance makes the choice exceptional - Sons of Monarchy XI: Washington was a good map to found Judaism).

Environmentalism has its uses as it allows you to avoid huge unhealthiness when you go into industrial revolution, but overall... Economic benefits of State Property and Free Market are huge.

Aren't you usually industrialized before Environmentalism becomes available? :confused: I do sometimes have healthiness problems when industrialising, but generally have them solved or pretty much solved before environmentalism becomes available.

Aren't you usually industrialized before Environmentalism becomes available? :confused: I do sometimes have healthiness problems when industrialising, but generally have them solved or pretty much solved before environmentalism becomes available.

But how to solve these unhealthiness issues without Environmentalism? Factory alone can make a city very unhealthy. Add a Coal Plant and the city would drop one pop level in a few turns. With a lot of farms, Biology may help to stop the starvation, but the city would still remain a stagnating cesspool of filth. Public Transportation w/o Environmentalism helps a little and a Hospital does help a little more, but it's still not enough to get rid of the :yuck: Only Recycling Center building unlocked by Ecology can end the :yuck: issue, but it's expensive as hell and the tech itself is far ahead of being Industrial.

Too many too expensive buildings while Environmentalism is much cheaper and quicker way.

Blasphemy! :lol:
my eyes! my eyes! :lol:

While bureaucracy is great in the early mid-game, I do think it loses its luster even in some parts of the middle-game if your empire is expanding rapidly. High upkeep civics can be an absolute killer without Organized, sometimes worth 10% on the slider for each one you have. I am guilty of running Bureaucracy and Organized Religion for way longer than I should and the seeing this sudden jump upon adopting more modern civic choices.

But how to solve these unhealthiness issues without Environmentalism? Factory alone can make a city very unhealthy. Add a Coal Plant and the city would drop one pop level in a few turns. With a lot of farms, Biology may help to stop the starvation, but the city would still remain a stagnating cesspool of filth. Public Transportation w/o Environmentalism helps a little and a Hospital does help a little more, but it's still not enough to get rid of the :yuck: Only Recycling Center building unlocked by Ecology can end the :yuck: issue, but it's expensive as hell and the tech itself is far ahead of being Industrial.

Too many too expensive buildings while Environmentalism is much cheaper and quicker way.

Don't solve the unhealthiness problem, just boost food production to compensate. Corporations can be especially effective. :D

My personal favourite civic is Hereditary Rule!

Angry people go on strike...
People with the flu, malaria, aids, a hangover etc. go to work...(amazingly enough they eat MORE than healthy people (but only if they are a majority!), when I'm sick I eat LESS than normal - go figure!)

My favourite civilization to play is... well I usually let the game decide whom I shall play...so I guess I have none...

Yours Sincerely

Kjotleik of Norway :D

Hereditary Rule/State Property can be a surprisingly decent late-game combination. Not quite as good as Representation or Universal Suffrage, but still a fun play.

The one favorite civic for me could just be state property because of all the added production from the workshops and the reduced maintenance cost while ignoring factories to keep the cities healthy.

Govt: Representation
Legal: Bureau until I have 20+ towns, then Free Speech.
Labor: Slavery early, Caste later.
Economy: State Property. Powerful with no micro needed.
Religion: Free Religion if I had to choose, but really, anything but Paganism and Theocracy. I can find good reasons for running the other 3.

Govt: Representation
Legal: Bureau until I have 20+ towns, then Free Speech.
Labor: Slavery early, Caste later.
Economy: State Property. Powerful with no micro needed.
Religion: Free Religion if I had to choose, but really, anything but Paganism and Theocracy. I can find good reasons for running the other 3.

Universal Suffrage also becomes pretty powerful when you have 20+ towns (which often coincides nicely with steam power.) I often find good reasons for running Theocracy.

Theocracy is awesome when you want to get extra XP so you can get 2 promos out the gate and don't want to run a high-cost Vassalage (i.e. late game).

Theocracy is awesome when you want to get extra XP so you can get 2 promos out the gate and don't want to run a high-cost Vassalage (i.e. late game).
Or don't want to switch out of Bureaucracy/Nationalism

Top Bottom