1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

your favourite Civics

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by jjake101, Apr 11, 2013.

1. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

my eyes! my eyes! :lol:

2. lindsay40k

lindsay40k Emperor

Nothing wrong with Mercantilism when everyone else is at it as well.

Gandhi in particular shines at bulbing Philo, and running Merc+Paci+PHI when there's nobody trading.

Throw in Rep, and you're laughing!

3. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

Favorite Civics,
    Classical

Hereditary Rule
    Slavery
    Organized Religion

Medieval
    Hereditary Rule
    Bureaucracy
    Caste System
    Theocracy
    Mercantilism

Renaissance/Colonial

Representation
    Free Market
    Caste System
    Free Speech
    Free Religion

Late Eras

Universal Suffrage
    Free Speech
    Emancipation
    Environmentalism
    Free Religion

U.N civics...

My favorite civics/era

4. qazq2

qazq2 Warmonger

My Favourite is Slavery, but that goes obsolete eventually. For the rest it depends on what I am doing at the time.

5. happyturtle

happyturtle Mrs GrumpyOldCivver

I think Free Religion is my favourite civic overall. Any of the other religion civics require spreading your state religion to reap the benefits and cost you diplomatically with other religions. If I have gold and I can afford to spend hammers on a wonder, I'll probably try and build the Paya.

6. King Pluto

King Pluto Emperor

No love for Organized Religion? I usually end up in Caste/Pacifism around the time I reach Civil Service and Bureaucracy, but OR is great for getting infrastructure up quickly with Slavery before making that switch. I am always disappointed when I don't have a good religion to switch into for OR.

7. Cristoval

Cristoval Warlord

Free market, bureaucracy, and representation.

8. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

One you could never live without, or at least very very rarely...Slavery.
    So that would be my first pick. For others, earlier available beats later Civics, that's how Civ goes but leaving that aside and if games wouldn't often be won by then..i would say State Property can change games most significantly. Every city with some green tiles can become powerful, distances becomes unimportant, and it's just very easy to play with such workshops, watermills..

9. BornInCantaloup

BornInCantaloup Agent of Chaos

<- See avatar: Caste System.

I never get the most out of it, though, since I very rarely run a city at food deficit.
    Caste allows for a rather efficient game, despite imposing very little management onto the player.

Yup, sure. Any builder would love Organized Religion :) I've gotten the habit to get all the pre-requisites for Monotheism by the time I can trade techs, so the switch into OR happens asap. Self-researching Monotheism is also frequently tempting (but I'll mostly resist the urge, unless founding Judaism is a possibility or another circumstance makes the choice exceptional - Sons of Monarchy XI: Washington was a good map to found Judaism).

10. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

Aren't you usually industrialized before Environmentalism becomes available? :confused: I do sometimes have healthiness problems when industrialising, but generally have them solved or pretty much solved before environmentalism becomes available.

11. rfcfanatic

rfcfanatic Mercantilist

But how to solve these unhealthiness issues without Environmentalism? Factory alone can make a city very unhealthy. Add a Coal Plant and the city would drop one pop level in a few turns. With a lot of farms, Biology may help to stop the starvation, but the city would still remain a stagnating cesspool of filth. Public Transportation w/o Environmentalism helps a little and a Hospital does help a little more, but it's still not enough to get rid of the :yuck: Only Recycling Center building unlocked by Ecology can end the :yuck: issue, but it's expensive as hell and the tech itself is far ahead of being Industrial.

Too many too expensive buildings while Environmentalism is much cheaper and quicker way.

12. Antilogic

Antilogic --

While bureaucracy is great in the early mid-game, I do think it loses its luster even in some parts of the middle-game if your empire is expanding rapidly. High upkeep civics can be an absolute killer without Organized, sometimes worth 10% on the slider for each one you have. I am guilty of running Bureaucracy and Organized Religion for way longer than I should and the seeing this sudden jump upon adopting more modern civic choices.

Don't solve the unhealthiness problem, just boost food production to compensate. Corporations can be especially effective. :D

13. Kjotleik

Kjotleik Kjotleik

My personal favourite civic is Hereditary Rule!

Angry people go on strike...
    People with the flu, malaria, aids, a hangover etc. go to work...(amazingly enough they eat MORE than healthy people (but only if they are a majority!), when I'm sick I eat LESS than normal - go figure!)

My favourite civilization to play is... well I usually let the game decide whom I shall play...so I guess I have none...

Yours Sincerely

Kjotleik of Norway :D

14. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Hereditary Rule/State Property can be a surprisingly decent late-game combination. Not quite as good as Representation or Universal Suffrage, but still a fun play.

15. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

The one favorite civic for me could just be state property because of all the added production from the workshops and the reduced maintenance cost while ignoring factories to keep the cities healthy.

16. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

Govt: Representation
    Legal: Bureau until I have 20+ towns, then Free Speech.
    Labor: Slavery early, Caste later.
    Economy: State Property. Powerful with no micro needed.
    Religion: Free Religion if I had to choose, but really, anything but Paganism and Theocracy. I can find good reasons for running the other 3.

17. Gwynnja

Gwynnja Deity

Universal Suffrage also becomes pretty powerful when you have 20+ towns (which often coincides nicely with steam power.) I often find good reasons for running Theocracy.

18. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Theocracy is awesome when you want to get extra XP so you can get 2 promos out the gate and don't want to run a high-cost Vassalage (i.e. late game).

19. wazzzuup

wazzzuup track $tar

Yep! same here:goodjob:

20. Gwynnja

Gwynnja Deity

Or don't want to switch out of Bureaucracy/Nationalism