Your HoTK Wishlist

Dang, I can't believe I forgot to mention the best part! A unit with a Defensive Strike ability can get the strike on any unit that attacks it's tile, regardless if it's defending or not. Basically it allows archery units to support the stack in defence without actually engaging in combat, much like in real life, where they would shoot volleys from behind friendly lines.

In FfH it can also shoot at units just passing it/standing near.

Anyway, I think the max 10xp from barbarians should be higher. At least 25.

Isn't that a FF ability? I also support the higher xp cap against barbarians too though. Perhaps you can even bump it up to about 100, since the civs under constant barb pressure need any type of bonus they can get due to (usually) bad land.

I'd like to see some reward for exploration of map on no-city scenarios. For example, in vanilla Civ we've at least received +1 to naval movement from circumnavigating the globe. What about giving some small but pretty and flavour boni to one, who visits several important sites, or is first to the borders of the map, or something like that?

Good Point.

I'd like to see some reward for exploration of map on no-city scenarios. For example, in vanilla Civ we've at least received +1 to naval movement from circumnavigating the globe. What about giving some small but pretty and flavour boni to one, who visits several important sites, or is first to the borders of the map, or something like that?

The exploration part of the Mod is non-existent right now. We'll do something about it at times.

I'd like to see a scenario with a start earlier than 194 that features Zhang Jiao and He Jin. The HotK scenarios I have are 194, 196, and 200; are there other scenarios floating around somewhere I can download? It seems like a waste to have the Yellow Turban faction implemented if they're only available in custom and normal games. Is it possible to select the HotK map for a custom game?

Actually, a combined Yellow Turban/Dong Zhuo scenario would be welcome, but almost all the factions would be anachronistic (e.g. where would Yan Baihu fit if Sun Jian were up north fighting Dong Zhuo? Is he allowed to expand unchecked in the south). That's where a "rise and fall" mechanism would be greatly useful.

I think I'd like a Fractal-styled mapscript that just adds a lot of rivers. Part of what makes me like this mod is that the scenario maps have a much different improvement flavor with the high river density.

I find major problems with FfH style defensive strikes. Firstly, any single unit can only do one defensive strike per turn, unless they have blitz, which gives them unlimited defensive strikes. Secondly, it is easy to get 100% chance of a defensive strike with correct promotions. Thirdly, again with correct promotions defensive strikes do ridiculous amounts of damage. I do not agree that a single unit cutting every attacker's strength by 40% is fun.

I guess defensive strikes are supposed to simulate combined arms tactics but they do a very bad job at it.

Well, the problems that you listed can simply be remedied by the lowering the damage and power of the promotions that boost defensive strikes. You also have to remember that only cavalry can gain blitz in this mod, meaning defensive strikes would be very limited. Finally, the defensive strike system is based on the comparative strength and level difference between the defender and the attacker. In FfH, the defender is often a heroic superpromoted Acher/Crossbow/Champion, but in HoTK the defenders are often the weakest units of all (strongest being the attack legions).

If done correctly, I think defensive strikes could work very well in this mod.

I find some defensive promotions very unreal. Viz. that Yan Baihu general coupled with a levy crossbow with warrior spirit, iron wall, defense 2 and bravery, plus 6-9 first strikes who made my advanced Danyang army with equal strength attack just have a 1-2% chance of winning.

With the 9 inner walls event, I used to just take the espionage with the Great Wall or 3+ attitude from all leaders. Now I usually take shock with all swordsmen because the defensive halberdiers are so strong behind walls.

Top Bottom