Your HoTK Wishlist

I removed them for the time being, the concepts are good, but hard to do with promotions. We will consider making them into unit actions like pillaging.

Cna the emperor civic also be gain rather den juz use yaun shu. i have a minor suggestion
,that is u can gain the emperor trait provided you gain enough "zhou" which you are going to implement soon

I also support a change for the emperr civic. Perhaps you can make the Temple of Abdication buildable by either running Rebellion or by having a certain number of cities? That way, you can become emperor in the late game without having to switch your civics.

Finally, could you please buff Emperor? Currently, it's near worthless due to the higher unit support costs, and the benefits from the other gov't civics far outweigh the city maintenece boosts.

I agree that Emperor Civic and lots of other old stuff in the Mod needs some work. However, that's not likely to happen in the next release because of the already huge amount of new content in it. After that, we will be able to take some time and play-test to do some revision work.

Great!
I have a request for the AI heroes though. Would it be possible to give them even more bonus xp from battles? Since you already have some in place (right?) it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to add, and it would really help the AI alot with their horrible promotion choices.

That and a fire attack ability that has a set % chance of going off in a battle, it could create a temporary terrain improvement (flames) that do damage to enemy units entering the tile, with initial damage also done in python. That too would add a slight random element, you would get an initially devestating attack, but might be hampered if say the flames went off on a narrow pass.

That's a good point. Fire played a major roll in several battles, most famous of which is "RedWall" (or as we originally call it, "Fire burning connecting boats"). Another common "terrain" based attack is rolling rocks down a hill. Sun Jian, the patriarch of Wu, got his head cruched by a rolling boulder (granted he got shot by a few arrows first).

Maybe have a promotion that gives a worker-like ability for a tile improvement, "fire"? So once the "improvement" is done, the fire rages for X number of turns, causing damage to ANY troop that enter (like the existing swamp/jungle), OR someone has to use a worker to "extinguish" the fire. So if XuHuang sees GuanYu coming down the pass, he could set a tile on fire, and retreat. GuanYu has to either charge through the fire and suffer the damages, or send a worker into the fire to put it out first, giving XuHuang a chance to escape. And here's a good one: Huang Gai can set a WATER tile on fire! Good luck putting that out! (work boat?)

Great!
I have a request for the AI heroes though. Would it be possible to give them even more bonus xp from battles? Since you already have some in place (right?) it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to add,and it would really help the AI alot with their horrible promotion choices.

I have wrote the hero promotion AI for the next release, I think they are pretty competent and flexible now. Also, I have added a little new mechanic in the next release: any hero have a chance to gain free XP every turn. The chance is determined by whether or not the hero is above the average XP of all heroes. (human and AI are the same here)

How many experience your heroes usually get? The AI Lu Bu heroes usually got 70 XP around 100 turns, sometimes Zhang Ren got 100+ XP around 100 turns. Using that mechanic mentioned above, all heroes will have at least 30+ XP around that time. I would like to know if this mechanic sounds fine or not.

That's a good point. Fire played a major roll in several battles, most famous of which is "RedWall" (or as we originally call it, "Fire burning connecting boats"). Another common "terrain" based attack is rolling rocks down a hill. Sun Jian, the patriarch of Wu, got his head cruched by a rolling boulder (granted he got shot by a few arrows first).

Maybe have a promotion that gives a worker-like ability for a tile improvement, "fire"? So once the "improvement" is done, the fire rages for X number of turns, causing damage to ANY troop that enter (like the existing swamp/jungle), OR someone has to use a worker to "extinguish" the fire. So if XuHuang sees GuanYu coming down the pass, he could set a tile on fire, and retreat. GuanYu has to either charge through the fire and suffer the damages, or send a worker into the fire to put it out first, giving XuHuang a chance to escape. And here's a good one: Huang Gai can set a WATER tile on fire! Good luck putting that out! (work boat?)

That's some good point. I'll take a note on that. In the next release, there will be several 'active abilities', different from current 'passive promotions', for legions. I won't say too much about them now, since we have finished only 1 such ability. However, I'm proud of that finished one.:)

That's great about the AI promotion choosing!

As for average experience, I've never really seen any others except Lu Bu break the 100 XP barrier, since Zhang Liao defects and then gets beat up by his former lord, and I really don't know what Gao Shun is doing...
I wish the battles you're seeing in Han Zhong were happening in my game; usually Zhang Ren and Zhang Wei lead the charge but promptly loose due to the massive advantage the defenders get in that region. Usually Zhang Ren dies in my games due to his low vitality.
The passive XP gain sounds like a great idea though! I can't wait to see it in action, along with that currently unknown unit ability/action!

Forts could and should be made more useful. Firstly, make them to minus 1 food plus 1 production n plus 2 coins on the plot they are built.Secondly, they give a zone of control.Thirdly, any factions unit on that particular fort gives them that tiles territory.Fourthly, workers can be change into militia while they are in the forts these militias cannot leave their faction cultural borders though, they are design for def once converted they cannot turn back to workers,suggest them to have a strg of 2 while they get stronger as the games goes on.Fifthly, a building should be implemented that boast espoinage points with regards to the numbers of forts within that city cultural borders, forts expose invisible units.And lastly tiles of improvements that is right next to a fort cant be pillage and barbarians should be programme to attack wherever possible units in the forts first.And certainly thanks and give a big hug to the team that make this mod u all have been excellent, now back to 2.4 for me wuhahahaha

Forts could and should be made more useful. Firstly, make them to minus 1 food plus 1 production n plus 2 coins on the plot they are built.Secondly, they give a zone of control.Thirdly, any factions unit on that particular fort gives them that tiles territory.Fourthly, workers can be change into militia while they are in the forts these militias cannot leave their faction cultural borders though, they are design for def once converted they cannot turn back to workers,suggest them to have a strg of 2 while they get stronger as the games goes on.Fifthly, a building should be implemented that boast espoinage points with regards to the numbers of forts within that city cultural borders, forts expose invisible units.And lastly tiles of improvements that is right next to a fort cant be pillage and barbarians should be programme to attack wherever possible units in the forts first.And certainly thanks and give a big hug to the team that make this mod u all have been excellent, now back to 2.4 for me wuhahahaha

There are some gems in these ideas, but frankly speaking, except for the expose invisible unit function, none strike me as ingenious and a must. I would decline making huge changes to fort for now. "We have enough on our hand".

I have played a couple of games and I am having a lot of fun. There is one part of the legion system which I find hard to use. Perhaps the problem is that I do not read Chinese. Each hero has ratings for melee, mounted, archer, siege and naval. I guess the scale is F,D,C,B,A,S, where F cannot "legionize" any units, D can legionize 1, and so on up to S controlling up to 5.

I find it very hard to see what the levels of a particular hero are. In fact most of the time I find it impossible to figure out. If the hero is not part of a legion, the letters are displayed next to Chinese characters. I cannot see enough difference between the tiny characters to tell which is melee, which is mounted, etc. So I can see a unit has "D (character) B (character)", but I cannot tell what rating it goes to. For non-Chinese players, perhaps a horse icon or an arrow icon would be easier to understand, or at least to tell apart. And when the hero is part of a legion, I do not think there is any way to see the ratings at all.

I have resorted to keeping a piece of paper next to my keyboard where I write down each hero's current and potential rating. Then I update it when the hero levels up. But when the hero loses a combat, I think it loses one random level. Since I cannot see what the levels are, it is hard to keep track of which level has been lost.

Am I missing something in the interface? It would be great if there was an easy way to see this without having to try to track it on paper.

Well, I don't read Chinese, but a little tip I noticed helps for non-asian people when it comes to characters is to look at them as pictures instead of thinking of them as letters. I just remeber that the light squiggly line is Archer, slightly slanted and bigger character is Melee, and the big complex one is Cavalry. As for Naval and Seige you don't really need to remeber since only Yue Jin really upgrades the seige path and I almost never use naval legions.
I'm slightly opposed to removing the characters though, since once you lead to recognize them, it adds tremendously to the feel, and IMO that immersive factor far outweights any difficulty in learning them. I hope you get to learn them soon, it's truly a wonderful feel! I also agree with the difficulty of checking hero levels when they're not attached to a legion.

Finally, a hero doesn't lose any combat levels when they're defeated, so you might of mistaken something else for that. Perhaps a different hero?
Oh, and one last thing, there is a hero screen that you use for recruitment, and on the bottom of the screen is an Info button. Clicking on that will give you data on all the heroes in the game, their xp, xp to next level, unitcombatlevels in each class, their potential unitcombat levels, thier core troop promotions, thier legion promotions, and finally, their legion members! I don't know if you've already seen that or not, but it's a very useful sceen. If you don't know how to get to the hero screen, it's the helmet icon where the corporation icon once was. Hope that helps!

@davidlallen

I'm so glad that you like HoTK! As for the difficulty with interface, I'll consider them carefully and make proper changes. Also like Kenjister said, there's an hero advisor screen you can always refer to, it's in the old place where corporation advisor button used to occupy.

Thanks for the suggestions. Here is a screenshot to show my problem. I have just captured a city, and I mouse-over the city to remind myself what is there. I have several heroes and I have just captured several new heroes.

Next to Gao Shun, for example, I can see he is A at something and C at something. Without a magnifying glass, I literally cannot tell what. On the other hand, when I look at the Cheng Pu core troop, I can easily see he has Combat I and City Attack III. These icons are easily distinguishable.

I agree that if I note down all four of the leader names on paper, and then go to the heroes screen you mentioned, I can scroll through the long list and find their stats, then write them down on paper, and come back to the main screen. However, that is a little painful.

Is it possible to use more colors, for example? Naval = blue, melee = red, mounted = green, archer = grey (clouds), siege = yellow (uh .. no reason)? Or perhaps to make icons similar to the combat 1,2,3,4,5 sequence which directly show the level, without needing another letter?

In the same screenshot, you can see my second problem. The heroes Lu Bu, Gao Shun and Zhang Liao are "unlegionized", that is, they are not part of any legion. So their letter ratings show up. However, I also have two heroes who are part of legions; He Qi and Cheng Fu. I can see the ratings of their core troops, but I cannot see their letter ratings. The only way to know their letter ratings is to unlegionize them so they show up as plain heroes, or else again, note down the names and look them up in the hero info screen. This problem is a little harder to solve, because we need to see both the hero ratings and the individual troop promotions. I do not have a good suggestion for this, except obviously to show both the levels and the promotions. But displaying all those icons may be a little long.

What I am trying to do when I look at this screen is to decide, for example, which leaders I should reinforce. I have some troops coming in one or two turns. I can either add them to He Qi's legion, or maybe the new heroes are better than him. There is no convenient way for me to compare multiple leaders with the current information.

Since the hero levels are such a critical part of play, I think it is important to display this information conveniently.

Hey, the color suggestion might actually work! On the other hand, you should be able to identify who has what if you keep playing... You can tell what level level the hero is by the Elite ____ blank promotion pretty easily. I can tell that Cheng Pu has a A in melee for example by the crowding of the stars next on the promotion. Since only a select few officers have an S aptitude, it's how I indentify all my legion troop aptitudes.

The other icons just take practice I suppose, looking at the size of the character is usually the best way for me. Plus it also helps to know the officers historical significance, that usually will tell you whether it's a priority to give them a legion or not. For instance Zhang Liao, the head of the five generals of Wei, should ALWAYS have a legion. His potential strength is just that great.
Cheng Pu, the seasoned veteran of the Sun Family also has good potential, but also lacks in the high end promotions. All of your officers are relatively well known though, except Luo Jun.

On a seperate note: What have you done giving Zhang Liao an upgrade in Archer aptitude? Oh, the horrors! It's probably best to simply specialize down one upgrade path so you can save those promotions for the really cool stuff. ei Assault, Tough and Triumph combo with Zhang Liao.

@davadlallen

I have made 2 modifications to main interface. First is now core troop will display the hero's unit combat levels too. Second is now all unit combat types will show, instead of only the ones that is not zero. They are always in this order: melee, mounted, archer, siege, naval. Those that are zero are denoted with '/' as in civilopedia. I hope this could make things a little bit clearer.

Thanks, I think that will help. In the hover text, can Chinese readers actually distinguish the icons, or are they too small? Even with Kenjister's suggestion to just memorize the shapes, I still can't distinguish them even after putting my face right up to the screen. You have suggested to put 10 characters, basically, the five icons and their five letters. If the five always appear in the same order, some players will rely on memorizing the order. Then it would be shorter to just put the five letters and skip the icons in this screen. I can certainly understand "ABD--" or similar, easily, and the letters are easy to read on the screen.

No, even I had a really hard time distinguishing the image, but yes, a little bit. I think just placing the ABCDS should work fine.

I just noticed in the bug thread that somebody was talking about Defensive Strikes. Since I didn't want to derail that thread, I'll show my support for the mechanic here.

Essentially a defensive strike is a free hit against an enemy that would weaken it before it makes the attack. Each unit that is capable of making a strike would get one per turn (unless it has Blitz) when attacked. Usually units would start with a low chance of defensive strike at the start (ex. 30% chance) but certain promotions would increase both the chance of a strike AND the damage it does. The damage is calculated using a formula that takes into account the relative strength's of the unit, the unit's level and the base damage of the strike. If I remember correctly, defensive strikes hit before combat begins, so it will vastly improve the defending odds if sucessful.

So this defensive strike mechanic allows defenders to weaken attackers before combat. Sounds like a little repetitive with the first strikes mechanic. Have I missed anything apparent?

Top Bottom