Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by HAND, Feb 11, 2004.
What CPU will you upgrade to? I'm want an Athlon 64!
I'm not entirley sure yet. I definitly will wait a while though I'm quite happy with my Athlon XP 2500+ at the moment.
I just upgraded to an Athlon XP 2600+ last year, so I don't have any plans to upgrade again for a while.
My comp will be 2 years old this june (XP2100+). I'll do some type of uprgrading this summer, but how much depends on the exact financial situation. My next processor will pretty definetly be a Athlon64 or Athlon64 FX (unless they've come out with something better before then, or 64bit flops).
Hmm... easiest for me to upgrade to an XP3200.
Who clicked the 64 bit options then? How you going to plug one in without upgrading your motherboard?
Hope you got a BIG hammer.
When I say "CPU upgrade" I always have a new motherboard in there. I think upgrading is pointless if you're only going to gain a few hundred mhz. To get more than that will automatically mean a new motherboard except in rare cases.
I already did upgrade. P4 3.0 Ghz, 800 Mhz FSB, with Hyper Threading. Best processor I've ever used. Far better than the 3200 AMD I tried out.
Depends on what Civ4 runs best on, Civ3 is doing fine on my 1.7GHz Vaio...
I'm one of the few who have no real need for the latest in speed. A current Duron will do me - my old one is only 800 Mz.
I just oredered P4 3.2GHz on intel motherboard. I'm big intel fan
If only intel was making chipsets and motherboards for AMD, that would be wonderful. I don't like VIA ( or nVIdiA) chipset, they are underpreformers compared to intel chipsets, and rich is issues.
My new system is going to be a P4.
a Athalon 64 or a C3 from VIA(dont ask why)
The cheap one. And no Intel.
All I can remember at the moment is that it comes with a fujitsu computer and is 3GHz.
I'm currently thinking about a Athlon64 but right now I have no money so I'll have to stick with my athlon 1ghz for now
No reason to spend more than $50 on a processor. Fastest I own is Athlon 1.3G. Just grabbed an 850 Celeron off eBay to upgrade my mother's K6-2 AT.
TigerDirect has got a box & board combo from Soyo that supports up to 900mhz socket 370's for $30 after rebate. We're talking $100 computers after a stack of rebates.
That's value computing!
Whatever is cheapest and compatable with the current MOBO!
I have two PCs - a athlon 1GHz, and an Athlon XP2000. I tend to leap-frog them. Might actually upgrade the Mobo in the 1GHz one, but its not a priority. My next purchase is a new HDD - when I upgraded my other PC from 450 MHz to the XP2000, I didn't get a HDD, and the current 8GB is a bit small.
AMD Athlon 64 FX, currently waiting for cheaper prices.
G5 all the way! Apple rules!!!!!
Athlon 64. I'm waiting for the 939-pin version to appear (March 29th apparently). I'm also waiting on R420 (ATI) or NV40 (nVidia) cards to appear.
Separate names with a comma.