[RD] Your Personal Stats

D&D stats are terrible at mapping to RL.

One in 216 don't have 18 intelligence.

They graded us at highschool. I was 6th/120 guy I knew was light years ahead of me.

In D&D terms that's 17 intelligence roughly bring in that percentile and I started highschool age 12. I was smarter than 95% of my year who were older than me.

He was one in a 100k or one in a million something like that. I was a year ahead, he was 2 years ahead doing university by correspondence age 13.

No, you just have this fantasy that only one in a million should be an 18, when in fact one in 216 is an 18. That's the math. It is not that hard. No one is trying to say that "all 18s are exactly alike." No one who is saying they would be an eighteen is claiming they are the world's smartest person. If you are a one in 216 case then you are an 18 stat. That's just how it works.

If you look at D&D there's no indication in the rules that an 18 INT makes the character a smartest person in the world master of a dozen languages discoverer of fundamental mathematics. They can memorize some extra spells. Period. They aren't one in a million, they're just a bit sharper than the next 215 people to come down the line. Just like the guy with an eighteen strength isn't intended to be hurling boulders like a giant or lifting gigantic blocks of stone off your toes. He's just stronger than the next 215 guys to come along; good for shouldering through a door, maybe better at waving a heavy cudgel around, but not superhuman.

No, you just have this fantasy that only one in a million should be an 18, when in fact one in 216 is an 18. That's the math. It is not that hard. No one is trying to say that "all 18s are exactly alike." No one who is saying they would be an eighteen is claiming they are the world's smartest person. If you are a one in 216 case then you are an 18 stat. That's just how it works.

If you look at D&D there's no indication in the rules that an 18 INT makes the character a smartest person in the world master of a dozen languages discoverer of fundamental mathematics. They can memorize some extra spells. Period. They aren't one in a million, they're just a bit sharper than the next 215 people to come down the line. Just like the guy with an eighteen strength isn't intended to be hurling boulders like a giant or lifting gigantic blocks of stone off your toes. He's just stronger than the next 215 guys to come along; good for shouldering through a door, maybe better at waving a heavy cudgel around, but not superhuman.

In D&D 18 is the smartest although that can vary by edition.

This guy was smarter than that. If D&D had % intelligence like percentile strength he was smarter than 18/00.

And there are people smarter than him. Literal kid genius. In 5E terms 19 intelligence with 20 reserved for that tier smarter than him.

Insine edition s most people don't use 3d6 they use the average array nothing higher than 13.

Only exceptional people ie PCs get to roll 3d6.

Most people would be 1d6+6. Humans get +1 to all stats.

People have mapped IQs to D&D stats. Divide IQ by 10 Forest Gump is 7 or 8 intelligence.

Last edited:
In D&D 18 is the smartest although that can vary by edition.

This guy was smarter than that. If D&D had % intelligence like percentile strength he was smarter than 18/00.

And there are people smarter than him. Literal kid genius. In 5E terms 19 intelligence with 20 reserved for that tier smarter than him.

18 is the smartest 1/216 of the population. 17 is the smartest 1/72 after them. 16 is the 1/36 after them. It's just math and I genuinely can't figure out why it confuses you.

No one who is saying they would be an eighteen is claiming they are the world's smartest person.
Not even a 20 makes you the smartest person in the world imo. If you're top 1%, there's still ~75.3 million people as smart or smarter than you; at 0.1%, there's still 7.53 million at or above your intelligence. And trying to guess who's smarter than who based on an internet forum is a losing game anyways. I think I'm smart, but I'd be loathe to try and make a list of people here that I *know* that I'm smarter than because I can't really judge that based on this limited window on people's lives. It's usually easy to spot fools anywhere and it's also easy to spot smart people; but going back to an earlier point you made, you can't always judge just how smart someone is, especially in a forum like this.

@Zardnaar also has this notion that geniuses have to have a string of accomplishments to be geniuses. They can be lazy as anyone else. Sure, there are some people who can play back a piano concerto after hearing it once or who naturally collect languages without effort. Often those same people can't tie their shoes and have other severe disabilities. Intelligence is very hard to measure, especially so at either end of the bell curve. His criteria also discounts the millions that live in poverty and can never achieve those kinds of things to begin with.

Not even a 20 makes you the smartest person in the world imo. If you're top 1%, there's still ~75.3 million people as smart or smarter than you; at 0.1%, there's still 7.53 million at or above your intelligence. And trying to guess who's smarter than who based on an internet forum is a losing game anyways. I think I'm smart, but I'd be loathe to try and make a list of people here that I *know* that I'm smarter than because I can't really judge that based on this limited window on people's lives. It's usually easy to spot fools anywhere and it's also easy to spot smart people; but going back to an earlier point you made, you can't always judge just how smart someone is, especially in a forum like this.

@Zardnaar also has this notion that geniuses have to have a string of accomplishments to be geniuses. They can be lazy as anyone else. Sure, there are some people who can play back a piano concerto after hearing it once or who naturally collect languages without effort. Often those same people can't tie their shoes and have other severe disabilities. Intelligence is very hard to measure, especially so at either end of the bell curve.

That's a low wisdom score.

Some very smart people have trouble relating to normies. It's not because they're arrogant (it can be) but they're so smart they have trouble relating to their peers.

Can be percieved as low charisma. The D&D Bell curve is terrible, IQ/10 is still bad but it's better than D&D dice rolls.

Most of my university professors for example I would give 14 or 15 intelligence to using the IQ/10 thing.

Everyone online thinks they're smarter than they actually are IMHO. Theoretically my intelligence is 17 based on %. I don't think it's that high IMHO.

I'm very rational IMHO and I'm not very compulsive and have iron control over my emotions. Never over expose myself to danger or financially.

I've tried a few things that don't involve injecting myself. My intelligence let's me know its bad and my wisdom tells me it's a bad idea.

Last edited:
I mean are we talking about Facebook or CFC? I don't see anyone here making outrageous claims, myself excluded.

You say potato, I say intellectual disability.

CFC, I'm seeing some high scores posted lol.

Online in general, as some if you know I play D&D a lot and this topic has been coming up since around 2001 when I started posting on D&D forums.

It's probably come up on CFC as well but I'ma newb here and started posting 2003.

Yeah but I don't think they're unreasonable. I think there's a lot of selection pressure built into the format that skews the numbers high.

Yeah CFC and D&D forums tend to skew a bit higher intelligence wise.
Dumbasses don't tend to play strategy games.

D&D stats are terrible at mapping to RL.

Agree with this.

One in 216 don't have 18 intelligence.

Don't agree with this.

No, you just have this fantasy that only one in a million should be an 18, when in fact one in 216 is an 18. That's the math.

Hi, Tim! Long time, no see! Agree with this. This is as well as I understand it. This would also correspond to about 140 IQ, depending on the scale used.

He was one in a 100k or one in a million something like that.

So he was the intellectual equivalent of 18/00 strength, 1 in 21600!

Insine edition s most people don't use 3d6 they use the average array nothing higher than 13.

Only exceptional people ie PCs get to roll 3d6.

Most people would be 1d6+6. Humans get +1 to all stats.

I have never heard of this this before. I might ask one of my friends. It yields scores of 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13, averaging the same.

The D&D Bell curve is terrible, IQ/10 is still bad but it's better than D&D dice rolls.

Now a score of 10 is about average, compared to 10.5 for the average of 3d6. I have to check the bell curve to see how well this works with your d6+7......
.....I get 85, 93, 100, 107, 115

Going back to the top........... terrible at mapping to RL......

Rolling 3d6 for each stat assumes zero correlation, but I think there is positive correlation between STR, DEX, and CON - until maybe we get to extremes.

Agree with this.

Don't agree with this.

Hi, Tim! Long time, no see! Agree with this. This is as well as I understand it. This would also correspond to about 140 IQ, depending on the scale used.

He wasn't unique in the country but just Uber smart probably one in a million or 500k or so.

So he was the intellectual equivalent of 18/00 strength, 1 in 21600!

I have never heard of this this before. I might ask one of my friends. It yields scores of 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13, averaging the same.

Now a score of 10 is about average, compared to 10.5 for the average of 3d6. I have to check the bell curve to see how well this works with your d6+7......
.....I get 85, 93, 100, 107, 115

Going back to the top........... terrible at mapping to RL......

Rolling 3d6 for each stat assumes zero correlation, but I think there is positive correlation between STR, DEX, and CON - until maybe we get to extremes.

He was one in 20000 amoung university students. He was my 1st DM, one if the other players was a math prodigy another studied statistics for fun but they weren't on his level.
He was smarter than the teachers and university professors.

Another smart one I knew passed his Microsoft engineer exams aged 19/20. He ended up teaching the professors and became head of department in his 20s.

I mean are we talking about Facebook or CFC? I don't see anyone here making outrageous claims, myself excluded.

After seeing FB discussions and returning to this forum, I kind of miss you guys!

I also moved geographically about a year ago and I might have moderated a bit.

For the stats thing, it all depends on whether the 1 in 216 is rolling relative to. People as a whole, or just adventurer-types, who are probably a bit more talented than the average Joe to begin with? 3d6 has an EV of 10.5, so you'd expect the adventurers to be slightly smarter than average to begin with if 10 is supposed to be exactly average.

And it all goes up even more if you're using 4d6 drop 1 instead of 3d6, or taking into account that certain races and classes get bonuses to ability scores (including INT, in some cases), or that characters can boost their ability scores as time goes on- in some cases, above 20, which would imply 20 isn't the maximum you can possibly get to.

I always figured it was people as a whole. If all the rolls sucked that was "someone who just wouldn't go adventuring" and allowed a reroll.

Everything is subjective, especially intelligence. Even experts can't fully agree on a definitive definition of intelligence. If we're only talking raw numbers/probabilities I've scored in the 99th percentile on every test or measurement available to me (college entry tests, reading ability/comprehension tests, an actual IQ test measured and observed by a psychiatrist, I think the ASVAB as well but can't remember for sure). There are still people on this very forum smarter than I, no matter what their numbers were.

So what I'm really saying here is to @Zardnaar that I back up hobbs' claim that this forum's INT claims are not particularly outlandish.

Last edited:
Everything is subjective, especially intelligence. Even experts can't fully agree on a definitive definition of intelligence. If we're only talking raw numbers/probabilities I've scored in the 99th percentile on every test or measurement available to me (college entry tests, reading ability/comprehension tests, an actual IQ test measured and observed by a psychiatrist, I think the ASVAB as well but can't remember for sure). There are still people on this very forum smarter than I, no matter what their numbers were.

So what I'm really saying here is to @Zardnaar that I back up hobbs' claim that this forum's INT claims are not particularly outlandish.

Schermopname (572).png

If you look at D&D there's no indication in the rules that an 18 INT makes the character a smartest person in the world master of a dozen languages discoverer of fundamental mathematics. They can memorize some extra spells. Period.
It's both a little more and a little less than that. The biggest factor in determining a D&D character's competence is Experience Level. A 10th-level Wizard with a 15 INT can memorize way more spells than a 1st-level Wizard with an 18. The only base characteristic that's ever used to measure something concrete is Strength and Carrying Capacity/Encumbrance. That is, a 1st-level character with an 18 STR is actually stronger than a 10th-level character with a 15 STR, but only in one, specific way; in every other measure of strength, the 10th-level character is stronger.

Also, most of the things being cited as measures of Intelligence are, in D&D, skills: In some versions of D&D, the number of languages you speak is a function of your race. In 5th ed. D&D, languages are a function of your character's Background and INT isn't even a variable. A modern Master's Degree in something would be a skill specialization and/or experience level - depending on the skill, INT would be a modifier. And, for all that, the roll of the 20-sided die is still be the biggest thing separating a skill contest between a person with a 15 and a person with an 18 in the relevant characteristic.

Yeah CFC and D&D forums tend to skew a bit higher intelligence wise.
Dumbasses don't tend to play strategy games.
Yes, but it's more than that: Playing strategy games makes you smarter. In the same way, it's not totally accurate to say that fit and strong people hang out in gyms. They do, but it's the spending time in the gym that helped make them fit or strong in the first place.

I always figured it was people as a whole. If all the rolls sucked that was "someone who just wouldn't go adventuring" and allowed a reroll.
That's how it's commonly done, yes. As mentioned, "4d6, use the best 3" is a common method for separating the adventurers from the normies, as are point-distribution and point-purchase methods (which take the randomness out, and let you just decide what kind of character to play).

The problem with this is the underlying assumption that the reason some people can't [climb a tree] just is because they were born that way. A better illustration would be several chimps, but one of them is given climbing gear, one of them is blindfolded, one of them has her hands tied behind her back, one of them has a leg in a cast, and they're all being asked to climb a different tree (one of them is a palm with no branches, for example).

Last edited:
Top Bottom