phillipwyllie

Wannabe Deity
Tired playing a single city challenge on Emperor, here's the results:

Most satisfying win.

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0001.jpg
    Civ5Screen0001.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 1,078
Good going! Did you know that even if an improvable sea resource is outside your 3-ring, you will still get a good amount of gold per turn from using a workboat on it? Looks like you have a couple of fish(?) in your 4-5 rings that haven't been improved. Not that it's any big deal for you in that particular game, by the looks of it, but towards the latter part of a game, any improved sea resources in those rings can net you up to 5-6gpt, which adds up nicely over the long run.

Good going! Did you know that even if an improvable sea resource is outside your 3-ring, you will still get a good amount of gold per turn from using a workboat on it? Looks like you have a couple of fish(?) in your 4-5 rings that haven't been improved. Not that it's any big deal for you in that particular game, by the looks of it, but towards the latter part of a game, any improved sea resources in those rings can net you up to 5-6gpt, which adds up nicely over the long run.

Really? How do you get more money from an improved fish in the 4 or 5 rings? I must be missing something in my games.

Improved crab I could see; just sell it to the AI.

You can't get the extra gold yield if the improved fish is in ring 4 or 5 of the city, unless you're playing with a mod that allows you work tiles in ring 4 and 5.

You can't get the extra gold yield if the improved fish is in ring 4 or 5 of the city, unless you're playing with a mod that allows you work tiles in ring 4 and 5.

You don't get the normal +1 gold from them since you can't put a citizen on that tile, but you do get extra gold per turn just from placing a boat there, besides that. Next time you have an improvable sea resource out on one of those outer rings, check your gpt total before, then after using a workboat on it- you'll see it go up anywhere from 2-6 gpt, depending on what era it is. Not sure what hidden mechanic causes this, but it does happen. And I don't use any mods that allows you to place a citizen beyond ring 3, either. See for yourself, next time you play.

THAT is intruiging enough for a test.

EDIT: I wasn't able to replicate what you reported, but testing this made me focus on a possible explanation for what you observed.

If you send a workboat to a ring 4 or 5 fish tile, and then create a fishing boat, your gold per turn will rise by at least 1 gpt. But that has nothing to do with the tile yield. That is the reduction in unit maintenance cost that results from turning the work boat (which has a maintenance cost) into a fishing boat (which has no maintenance cost). Later in the game, when maintenance costs increase substantially, the "reward" for burning a work boat is greater.

The gpt goes up when you place the boat because you aren't paying maintenance on it anymore >.>

The gpt goes up when you place the boat because you aren't paying maintenance on it anymore >.>

This. I did the same thing as Smokeybear when I first played before I knew about maintenance costs and how citizens working tiles worked.

You don't get the normal +1 gold from them since you can't put a citizen on that tile, but you do get extra gold per turn just from placing a boat there, besides that. Next time you have an improvable sea resource out on one of those outer rings, check your gpt total before, then after using a workboat on it- you'll see it go up anywhere from 2-6 gpt, depending on what era it is. Not sure what hidden mechanic causes this, but it does happen. And I don't use any mods that allows you to place a citizen beyond ring 3, either. See for yourself, next time you play.

Yep, you also get extra gold by sending your workers to the barbarian camps. This is a less known secret in the game. In addition, sending great scientists into camps also work in a similar manner.

EDIT: I wasn't able to replicate what you reported, but testing this made me focus on a possible explanation for what you observed.

If you send a workboat to a ring 4 or 5 fish tile, and then create a fishing boat, your gold per turn will rise by at least 1 gpt. But that has nothing to do with the tile yield. That is the reduction in unit maintenance cost that results from turning the work boat (which has a maintenance cost) into a fishing boat (which has no maintenance cost). Later in the game, when maintenance costs increase substantially, the "reward" for burning a work boat is greater.

You deserve a gold star.

Yep, you also get extra gold by sending your workers to the barbarian camps. This is a less known secret in the game. In addition, sending great scientists into camps also work in a similar manner.

I coughed up a lung laughing.

LOL! Ok, I'll admit I never considered that possibility, my bad. Dangit.

Just curious, wth happened to the Dutch in your first game? Never seen a conquered city as capitol before...

Is there a particular reason to choose archipelago maps when playing a one-city type game?

My guess would be fewer shared borders means less hostility from neighbors means a more peaceful game means he doesn't have to build up as much military. OCC on pangea might be something to write home about though...

Top Bottom