1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

You've met the City State of Thebes

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by phillipwyllie, Nov 30, 2013.

1. phillipwyllie

phillipwyllie Wannabe Deity

Tired playing a single city challenge on Emperor, here's the results:

Most satisfying win.

Attached Files:

2. Smokeybear

Smokeybear Emperor

Good going! Did you know that even if an improvable sea resource is outside your 3-ring, you will still get a good amount of gold per turn from using a workboat on it? Looks like you have a couple of fish(?) in your 4-5 rings that haven't been improved. Not that it's any big deal for you in that particular game, by the looks of it, but towards the latter part of a game, any improved sea resources in those rings can net you up to 5-6gpt, which adds up nicely over the long run.

3. beestar

beestar subdeity

Really? How do you get more money from an improved fish in the 4 or 5 rings? I must be missing something in my games.

Improved crab I could see; just sell it to the AI.

4. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

He has one of the fishes (bonus resource) improved.

5. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

You can't get the extra gold yield if the improved fish is in ring 4 or 5 of the city, unless you're playing with a mod that allows you work tiles in ring 4 and 5.

6. Smokeybear

Smokeybear Emperor

You don't get the normal +1 gold from them since you can't put a citizen on that tile, but you do get extra gold per turn just from placing a boat there, besides that. Next time you have an improvable sea resource out on one of those outer rings, check your gpt total before, then after using a workboat on it- you'll see it go up anywhere from 2-6 gpt, depending on what era it is. Not sure what hidden mechanic causes this, but it does happen. And I don't use any mods that allows you to place a citizen beyond ring 3, either. See for yourself, next time you play.

7. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

THAT is intruiging enough for a test.

EDIT: I wasn't able to replicate what you reported, but testing this made me focus on a possible explanation for what you observed.

If you send a workboat to a ring 4 or 5 fish tile, and then create a fishing boat, your gold per turn will rise by at least 1 gpt. But that has nothing to do with the tile yield. That is the reduction in unit maintenance cost that results from turning the work boat (which has a maintenance cost) into a fishing boat (which has no maintenance cost). Later in the game, when maintenance costs increase substantially, the "reward" for burning a work boat is greater.

8. Magma_Dragoon

Magma_Dragoon Reploid

The gpt goes up when you place the boat because you aren't paying maintenance on it anymore >.>

9. georgie

georgie Warlord

This. I did the same thing as Smokeybear when I first played before I knew about maintenance costs and how citizens working tiles worked.

10. YourHarry

YourHarry Chieftain

Yep, you also get extra gold by sending your workers to the barbarian camps. This is a less known secret in the game. In addition, sending great scientists into camps also work in a similar manner.

11. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

Link to video.

12. holywar

holywar Chieftain

You deserve a gold star.

13. holywar

holywar Chieftain

I coughed up a lung laughing.

14. Smokeybear

Smokeybear Emperor

LOL! Ok, I'll admit I never considered that possibility, my bad. Dangit.

15. phillipwyllie

Here's another try, even more satisfying as I had all the CS's in my pocket and Alex was in the game.

Attached Files:

16. Loucypher

Loucypher King

Just curious, wth happened to the Dutch in your first game? Never seen a conquered city as capitol before...

17. phillipwyllie

He helped Carthage wipe out Portugal, then Rome Helped himself to Amsterdam, then Bismark helped himself Amsterdam......

18. satchel

satchel Prince

Is there a particular reason to choose archipelago maps when playing a one-city type game?

19. mikeville

mikeville Chieftain

My guess would be fewer shared borders means less hostility from neighbors means a more peaceful game means he doesn't have to build up as much military. OCC on pangea might be something to write home about though...

20. Sturmgewher88mm

Sturmgewher88mm Kaiser

So... How mad would you be if someone settled on that ONE corner of your island that your borders can't expand to..? :mischief: