Zebenji's Additional Religions 2.3

zebenji

Chieftain

Zebenji's Additional Religions
(and other stuff)
v2.3

Also available on Steam!

Disclaimer:
The author of this mod doesn't have any preference for any religion and doesn't want to force you to practice any specific religion. The purpose of this mod is to add some fun and variety in the game. :)

IMPORTANT : It is highly recommended to enableTomatekh's Historical Religions mod.

Alrighty! Welcome to my very first mod for a Civilization. Please be tolerant, modding is something brand new to me, I'm just doing my best to share what I've done so far.

Tomatekh made an amazing job to add historical religions in Civilization VI. I decided to follow his path, and I create a little mod which add dozens of new religions, beliefs and other strange things to those available in the game. This mod will probably add more religions in the future, and I will consider any reasonable suggestion (especially if a religion name, and icon and a description are included... Benji's a little lazy for research!).

Installation

Download the mod, and extract it to :
\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods
(or any Mod folder you're using)

Configuration File

Just like Tomatekh's mod (thank you so much for your help, by the way), this mod includes a configuration file ("ZRK_Config.sql"). It is located in the main folder. You can use it to toggle the different kind of religions which would be available in the game :

Additional Historical Religions:
Adds a few pre-modern religions into the game. These are religions Tomatekh hasn't thought about.
Edit the individual value to 0 to disable these religions.

Modern Beliefs:
Adds religions, beliefs and other cults from the modern era. This includes revivals of ancient religions (like Asatru or Hetanism), cults like Scientology, down to Wicca and Satanism. Now you're gonna be able to make Ghandi truly evil.

Strange Religions:
Adds religions which are mostly parodic, or way too weird to be considered as a religion. And yes, baconism is a thing. Crazy, right?

Litterature, TV and Movie Religions:
Religions taken from fiction. Had to find a name for some of them, but hopefully you'll find a few interesting things in there.

Video Games Religions:
Civilization being the best stragery game ever, it makes sense that some other games would cross over. Some denominations have been created for the purpose of this mod. Feel free to correct me if needed.

Final Fantasy XIV Religions:
The initial reason why I created that mod. My hopes or creating an Eorzean civilization are gone (don't have enough skills to do that), but at least I can play with the different religions in-game. :)

Randomize Religions:
Disabled by default, this one deletes favorite religions for all leaders. Which means that the AI can pick any religion. Tested it a few times, Japan decided to go with the Invisible Pink Unicorn while the Papal States picked... Puata Tupuna.
Edit the individual value to 1 to randomize religions.

Limitations

As I said above, this mod requires Tomatekh's mod to work. Also, in the religion choice screen, "my" religions will appear after Tomatekh's custom religion icons. Can't do anything about that, sorry. Maybe if we can order the religions another way with a fix from Firaxis.

Haven't tested my mod with other religion mods. Not sure it will work. I'm not planning to make the mod compatible with every religion mod on the market, but I talked to Tomatekh and our mods should be able to coexist without any issue, even in the future.

Thanks for reading all this, thanks Tomatekh for your amazing help and thanks Royga for creating the initial Strange Religions Mod on Civ V... and to you all, have fun! Feel free to send me screenshots of your religious empires :)

(Previous version of the mod: v2.1)

Last edited:
Religions included (so far) :

Additional Historical Religions
Freemasonry, Jainko, Medicine Wheel, Misimanito, Moai, Nazca, Weldesianism

Modern Beliefs
Asatru, Cheondoism, Disciples of Christ, Eckankar, Hetanism, Huna, Nanissáanah, Neodruidism, Nuwaubianism, Olympianism, Raelism, Rastafari, Satanism, Scientology, Tenrikyo, Unitarian Universalism, Wicca

Strange Religions
Baconism, Boat Mormons, Church of Emacs, Church of Gaming, Church of SubGenius, Consumerism, Denouncing Venice, Disney, Dudeism, Foamy, Invisible Pink Unicorn, Last Thursday, Nike Philosophy, Pastafarianism, Penguinism, Science of Mind, Tanassinn, Thelema, Ufology, Yoloism

Litterature, TV and Movie Religions
Alchemy, Bokononism, Cicle of Life, Chaos, Cthulhu Mythos, Dharma, Tau'va, Guilty Remnant, Haruiism, Ilúvatarism, Imperial Creed, Jediism, Matrixism, MuadDib Djihad, Religious Consciousness, Robotology, Sithism, Stargate, Trekism, Visitors, Whoism, Zentopia

Video Games Religions
Arceuism, Brotherhood, Brotherhood of Assassins, Brotherhood of Nod, Children of Atom, Covenant, Crystallism, Engwith, Ethos, Harmonious Music, Kingdom Hearts, Mushroomism, Nine Divines, Nisan, Okami, Order of Templars, Pixellism, Spode, Triforce, Unitology, Unown, Ursulines, Yevonism

Final Fantasy XIV Religions
Halone, Menphina, Thaliak, Nymeia, Llymlaen, Oschon, Byregot, Rhalgr, Azeyma, Nald'thal, Nophica, Althyk​

Last edited:
Glad to see you got this out! It looks great.

Uploading to Steam is relatively simple. Since you made the mod without modbuddy, go to the Tools section of your Steam Library and download Sid Meier's Civilization VI Development Tools. Once you download that there will be an option for Steam Workshop Uploader. Begin. Upload. Then when you have to choose the mod package, just select the MODINFO file in the folder where you built the mod. The uploader will automatically compile it for you.

Glad to see you got this out! It looks great.
Uploading to Steam is relatively simple. Since you made the mod without modbuddy, go to the Tools section of your Steam Library and download Sid Meier's Civilization VI Development Tools. Once you download that there will be an option for Steam Workshop Uploader. Begin. Upload. Then when you have to choose the mod package, just select the MODINFO file in the folder where you built the mod. The uploader will automatically compile it for you.

I'll never be able to thank you enough for your help. :) It took some time but the mod is now uploaded on Steam. Can't wait to see how religion maps will look like from now on... :)

zebenji updated Zebenji's Additional Religions with a new update entry:

Update - August 15, 2017

On this new update :
- New icons for Alchemy and Okami religions
- 7 New religions : Children of Atom (Fallout games), Misimanito (Cree religion), Ilúvatarism (Lord of the Rings), Olympianism (Hellenic Modern Religion), Boat Mormonism, Denouncing and Venice Yoloism (Parody religions from Doormonster.tv)
- Other suggestions will be added in the future, I prefer small frequent updates rather than huge ones.

Many, many, many thanks to the awesome team of...

Read the rest of this update entry...

So are the icons plain white, flat images and the game engine converts them into the religious-type icons? Or would I have to make them like that? Also, is baked-in color required or specified? (I really hope that it's baked-in, I HATE decimal RGBA. It confuses me so much :mad: )

Hi! You have two types of religion icons:
- The large ones (which have a "constellation" look) are used in the Civilopedia and the religion screen. They are light grey, and the game engine "colorizes" them according to RGBA values.
- The small ones are features next to a city's name on the main game screen. They are plain white, and they are colorized the same way.
At the time, I created a basic image to show the different icons, however I should update these pictures as new religions have been added since then. But long story short, I'm using the exact same system as Tomatekh's mod.
If you go on the Steam page, you can have a preview of the colored icons in the game. Did my best to use different colors every time. You're free to change the colors yourself by editing values on ZRK_Religions_Colors.sql, but I strongly recommend to make a backup of the file first, just in case. But yeah, you might have to play with RGBA values. :/

Hi! You have two types of religion icons:
- The large ones (which have a "constellation" look) are used in the Civilopedia and the religion screen. They are light grey, and the game engine "colorizes" them according to RGBA values.
- The small ones are features next to a city's name on the main game screen. They are plain white, and they are colorized the same way.
At the time, I created a basic image to show the different icons, however I should update these pictures as new religions have been added since then. But long story short, I'm using the exact same system as Tomatekh's mod.
If you go on the Steam page, you can have a preview of the colored icons in the game. Did my best to use different colors every time. You're free to change the colors yourself by editing values on ZRK_Religions_Colors.sql, but I strongly recommend to make a backup of the file first, just in case. But yeah, you might have to play with RGBA values. :/
Ok, thanks! I guess that's good news and bad news. I was expecting it to be much more complicated than this... but again, RGBA decimal irritates me to no end. Do you know of any good color pickers for decimal RGBA? And is it possible to delete a religion type (if you wanted to created literally every type of it that there is, for example :p)

I'm confused. What to you mean by "delete" a religion type? You can't really delete anything, but using triggers and conditions, you can enable/disable religions in the Config file. Once again, I took the inspiration from Tomatekh's work, so people could decide to only play with a few more historical religions, or only focus on the parody ones, or not including any video game inspired religion, etc.

For RGBA, there are tons of pages on the web. Working with a graphic designer, I ended up using Pantone's color finder. When you select a color, it will display the RGBA values, so you can pick the ones you really like :
https://www.pantone.com/color-finder
Try to use "light" or "bright" colors, darker tones won't show up well in the game.

As for the constallation look, I usually use Paint.NET to get the outline of an icon, color it in light gray, add a few stars here and there.I'm assuming to want to create a religion mod as well?

I'm confused. What to you mean by "delete" a religion type? You can't really delete anything, but using triggers and conditions, you can enable/disable religions in the Config file. Once again, I took the inspiration from Tomatekh's work, so people could decide to only play with a few more historical religions, or only focus on the parody ones, or not including any video game inspired religion, etc.

For RGBA, there are tons of pages on the web. Working with a graphic designer, I ended up using Pantone's color finder. When you select a color, it will display the RGBA values, so you can pick the ones you really like :
https://www.pantone.com/color-finder
Try to use "light" or "bright" colors, darker tones won't show up well in the game.

As for the constallation look, I usually use Paint.NET to get the outline of an icon, color it in light gray, add a few stars here and there.I'm assuming to want to create a religion mod as well?
You guessed correctly :) and I realize that having broader religion types might be useful, for civs with many types of a religion.
Thank you! The constellation seems pretty easy, much easier than I thought!
And it's also good to know that RGB doesn't need to be decimal, I'm fine with normal 255 RGB color.

zebenji: Have you thought about adding in Aqua's Axis Order from the anime "Konosuba"?
By the way i think your mod is bloody brilliant and a nice companion piece to Tomatekh's Historical Religions Mod.
.P.S. If you want to come up with good ideas for Religions, I'll suggests checking out Ryoga's Strange Religions Mod for Civilization V, just be sure to credit that person if you do. ;)

Last edited:
If you're interested, there is plenty of material to pick from in The Elder Scrolls. Here are a few of the most important ones:

The Imperial Cult (Alternatively, Imperial Pantheon, or Nine Divines)

One of the most influential religions in the Elder Scrolls Universe, the Imperial Cult traces its origin to Cyrodiil, the center of the Empire. Its pantheon originally consisted of 8 divines, formed from interpretations of various nearby religions, drawing influences from men, elves, and even beast-folk. A ninth divine, Talos, was added, representing the deified heroic founder of the Third Empire, although this was considered heretical by many elves. The White-Gold Concordat, a treaty signed between the elvish Aldmeri Dominion and the Empire, forced the Empire to renounce Talos as a divine, although worship of Talos is still prevalent particularly in the provinces of men such as Skyrim.

The Tribunal Temple (or simply Tribunal/Tribunalism)

Once the primary religion of the Dunmer province of Morrowind. The Tribunal Temple worships the Tribunal, 3 gods who obtained their divinity through using the tools of Kagrenac on the powerful artifact known as the Heart of Lorkhan. The actions of these three, Almalexia, Sotha Sil, and Vivec, angered the Daedric Prince Azura, who transformed their race the Chimer into the Dunmer or Dark Elves. The Dark Elves worshiped the Tribunal up until the events of the Red Year, when the Nerevarine defeated Dagoth Ur and caused the Tribunal to lose their divinity. In modern Morrowind, Almalexia, Sotha Sil and Vivec are only considered saints, but not gods.

Cult of Sithis (or Sithism? or even just Sithis?)

Reveres Sithis, an avatar of death, chaos, and misanthropy. Sithis worship is prevalent in the province of Black Marsh, where it is ingrained into the culture of the native Argonian peoples. It is said that Argonian reverence for Sithis stems from ther deep ties to the Hist, an ancient and mysterious race of sentient trees, who accept Sithis as their creator. Sithis is also worshipped by the Dark Brotherhood, a guild of bloodthirsty assassins with presence across Tamriel.

I might post more later if you're interested.

Thank you! As long as I have icons (which are often hard to find), I can work on adding more religions. I'll keep them in mind for an update.

By the way, Tomatekh updated his mod yesterday. Long story short, I had to make an emergency update for "my" religions to show up in game... but it was very late and only uploaded it to Steam, the CivFanatics version will come tonight. I'm (very slowly) starting to work on Historical moments and religion pressure icons, but that will take some time (plus I will have to work through ModBuddy, which I used to avoid because it wasn't working properly on my PC.)

So sorry for the inconvenience!

zebenji updated Zebenji's Additional Religions with a new update entry:

Version 2.0

- Completely rebuilt the mod from scratch to ensure full compatibilty with Rise & Fall
- Updated graphics
- Updated denominations for a few religions
- Added Historical Moment icons for all religions
- Religion screen now displays icons and pressure mechanics for all religions
- Added Zentopia Church (from anime Fairy Tail - was already in the mod when Rise & Fall came out)

I tested all graphics for every religion, if you notice a graphic bug please tell me and I'll fix that asap. Thank you...

Read the rest of this update entry...

There seems to be a bug with the cree's preference setup, which will cause them to found two religions instead of one if both Wakan Tanka and Misimanito are available. Alone this isn't an issue, but when Rule With Faith is installed, it causes the game to crash. Randomizing religions before reloading to a previous turn thankfully sidesteps the bug, but the workaround shouldn't be needed.

Last edited:
There seems to be a bug with the cree's preference setup, which will cause them to found two religions instead of one. Alone this isn't an issue, but when Rule With Faith is installed, it causes the game to crash.

Hi!

I don't use Rule With Faith, which might be why it crashes. Sorrry about that. :/ I think I forgot to remove Tomatekh's favorite religion because adding mine. Will try to fix that on the next update. I'm really taking my time because creating those extra little graphic files takes time, and work doesn't give me a lot of free time these days. Until then, I invite you to open the ZRK_Config file and delete Poundmaker's rhere (it should be at the very bottom of the file). That should fix your issue until the next update (fingers crossed)!

Top Bottom