Zero day DLC = disrespecting the customer

As long as consumers act like dumb sheeps and pay for DLC, these kind of schemes will continue and expand...

But it sure put a big dent into the respect I had for Firaxis. Gutting a whole civilization from the game... Wow, that's really disappointing...

Maybe the "sheeps" [sic] enjoy what the DLC offers and are willing to spend a few bucks for it. That doesn't make them dumb.

There is no evidence that civ5 is crippled at all by this DLC. There is just 1 civ missing. Big deal. Think back to civ4's release. The core game was buggy, but great. Now imagine if the byzantines were available at launch for an extra $5. If you really want the byzantines, then great! Drop $5 and get them. If not, the game is the EXACT same.

Supply and demand runs the markets, not whining.

Et bien... Et bien... I won't buy this :blush:

The Firaxis devs have created this content, but are turning around and intentionally removing it in order to get fans of the series to pay more

So, I assume you don't use Intel chips in your computers? AFAIK, they do the same thing with features like cores.

So, I assume you don't use Intel chips in your computers? AFAIK, they do the same thing with features like cores.

You can say the same thing about tons of programs. No one is crying about the different tiers of windows even though they are all on the same disk. (For vista at least).

But I suppose ignorance makes their points seem stronger.

You're comparing apples to oranges. With Windows, the higher-end features are thing that most consumers wouldn't care about (and probably wouldn't even notice or understand); there's no reason for these people to pay for them. The only reason all the versions are on the same disc is because it makes life easier for Microsoft.

When it comes to this issue with civ, I see three types of people: the hardcore gamers, who care mainly about gameplay and don't see what the big deal is. Then, there are those of us who like the historical aspects of the game and see the game as incomplete unless you have Babylon. Finally, there are those of us that are concerned due to modding. With civ4, you could make a mod and not worry about anything, because everyone had the same base. With civ5 that will not be the case. If you need Babylon or Mesopotamia, either you will need some what to restrict people downloading your mod to the deluxe version, or have an inferior mod.

Personally I think the concept of DLC is fine and to sell it on a commercial basis is, eh..., OK...
I won't buy it as I am ususally not interested or hooked enough. The Civ 5 base game will offer enough challenges/satisfaction.

My issue is with the price and the chosen content of the Deluxe:crazyeye:-DLC. $10,- extra for 1 civ while the 18 standard civs are $50,- / 18 = $2.77 a piece. Ridiculous. One commercial Civilisation is worth 50 cents at most...
I agree with the OP that this smells like disrespecting your customer. Greed is a bit written all over it. For ten bucks one would expect a small expansion pack, not one easy-to-mod Civ. But the choice for this commercial policy is probably a more a 2K design than one from Sid / Firaxis.

Have a look at this dutch commercial. The child being the Civ fans, the cake being the DLC. (and the dog could be the modding community.;))

PS1: there is an opposite to this commercial disrespecting business model, and that is a cracked-version-downloading property-disrespecting gamer. By which I mean to say that we are all involved in an escalating commercial strike-and-counter strike.

Personally I think the concept of DLC is fine and to sell it on a commercial basis is, eh..., OK...
I won't buy it as I am ususally not interested or hooked enough. The Civ 5 base game will offer enough challenges/satisfaction.

My issue is with the price and the chosen content of the Deluxe:crazyeye:-DLC. $10,- extra for 1 civ while the 18 standard civs are $50,- / 18 = $2.77 a piece. Ridiculous. One commercial Civilisation is worth 50 cents at most...
I agree with the OP that this smells like disrespecting your customer. Greed is a bit written all over it. For ten bucks one would expect a small expansion pack, not one easy-to-mod Civ. But the choice for this commercial policy is probably a more a 2K design than one from Sid / Firaxis.

Have a look at this dutch commercial. The child being the Civ fans, the cake being the DLC. (and the dog could be the modding community.;))

PS1: there is an opposite to this commercial disrespecting business model, and that is a cracked-version-downloading property-disrespecting gamer. By which I mean to say that we are all involved in an escalating commercial strike-and-counter strike.
Bad math, what about the game engine and mechanics

That proves his point even more...

That proves his point even more...

Those civs were all probably easier to make than the game engine, much easier and what about the other stuff in the Deluxe Edition

His point is that the Deluxe edition, which gives, 1 civilization, 1 leader, and 1 map (scenario is just a fancy word for map, seeing as there are (probably) no extra scripts or anything, or very little). In comparison to the original game, it is highly overpriced. In fact, perhaps 1/100 of the original price would be overpriced.

His point is that the Deluxe edition, which gives, 1 civilization, 1 leader, and 1 map (scenario is just a fancy word for map, seeing as there are (probably) no extra scripts or anything, or very little). In comparison to the original game, it is highly overpriced. In fact, perhaps 1/100 of the original price would be overpriced.

Now you assume that the Civ, the leader and the Map are combined in the Deluxe edition. It does not say that exactly. It mentions two editions and separately there is downloadable bonus content. Analysing the 2K announcement of the offered versions and content, things get even wierder: See the attachment.
So when you buy the standard edition, preordered, you get the map of Mesopotamia, but not a very interesting leader to play on it. Because Nebu is in the Deluxe Edition.

Maybe my interpretation of the announcement is to strict, it is getting late over here.
If not, than this announcement is even worse of a public relations action than I thought before. To bad, I don't think Firaxis deserves that.

Attachments

• What do you get with Civ V editions.gif
    What do you get with Civ V editions.gif
    12.4 KB · Views: 325
Oh sorry, I indeed confused the DLC and the Deluxe edition. You're right. Your chart is right too.

And what does 'Ceterum censeo Julius Ceasar in togam vestiam esse' mean? I could of course look it up in my Latin book, or use a translator, but that takes so long...:p I guess it's about Iulius Caesar in a vestal toga or something like that.

Oh sorry, I indeed confused the DLC and the Deluxe edition. You're right. Your chart is right too.

Ah, than I can still analyse correctly, after a long day :). Let's see what it means for this edition/DLC discussion.

And what does 'Ceterum censeo Julius Ceasar in togam vestiam esse' mean? I could of course look it up in my Latin book, or use a translator, but that takes so long...:p I guess it's about Iulius Caesar in a vestal toga or something like that.
You are the first to ask.. It means that Ceasar in cIV BTS should be dressed in a proper senatorial toga, instead of this purple tunica, which looks like his pyjama's to me...:lol:

Strange, because I clearly remember that in a text we had to translate (from Latin to Dutch), vestiam was vestal...Or whatever the English word is, you know, those virgins that couldn't marry for a long time, were taken from their parent's house (which was a great honor) and were treated like gods. Even the 'barbarians' invading the Roman empire refused to raze or harm the vestal temples. Anyway...Your first text means I do not eat to live, but I live to eat. Your second one money doesn't smell, and your third the end will crown the work, or something like that. Yeah, I'm bored...But, if Google is right, my translations are correct. Except for the fact that the end will crown the work simply is the end crowns the work, but I didn't even think of those times, so. :p

The deluxe edition also gives the game sountrack, just in case anyone considers that to be of value.

Also, a Behind the Scenes video or something. Maybe even worth 50c or so on its own.

The deluxe edition also gives the game sountrack, just in case anyone considers that to be of value.

I actually really like the soundtrack from Civ IV, so it would actually be a value to me... I just don't think I want to support the DLC side of it.

You're also getting a scenario & a behind-the-scenes video, so you're not just paying $10 for an extra civ-plus there's the extra "value" of having a "collectors edition". Personally, none of that really matters enough to me anyway, so I'll just wait for the regular version. That said, I don't begrudge those who want to spend the extra $10, nor the company for taking advantage of that demand.

Aussie.

I have no interest in paying $10 extra for a collectors edition. For those who do, good luck to them. The extras will most likely be available with the first expansion anyway.

I also don't feel as though I'm missing out. You get nothing for nothing in this life. If you want it, pay for it. If you don't, then don't pay extra for it.

His point still is absolutely correct. But, that's always the case with expansion packs. Which this is, sort of.

This is becoming a massive screw up. The developer trying to remake Panzer General, removing important features and dumbing down the game will spell the end if this game. For the first time they are disrespecting their market. As I said in another post ...for the first time I will not buy it with DLC or steam. I will wait for the pirated copy to come out here in Hong Kong.

Moderator Action: We have zero tolerance for software piracy. Warned.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Top Bottom