1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Zero day DLC = disrespecting the customer

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by phungus420, May 7, 2010.

1. mechaerik

mechaerik Tuturuu!

You don't get a special box - its a download. AFAIK, the Deluxe edition is Steam exclusive (not available elsewhere).

Also @clone army:
    Yeah, I did that on purpose. :p

2. NovaSilisko

NovaSilisko Chieftain

Well that's dumb. (captain obvious, right?)

3. Chalks

Chalks The blue pieces

Yeah, I know that. The point is if it was a physical copy, you'd get a special box and a soundtrack CD for $10 extra. Because it's digitally distributed, you get a free civ and a soundtrack CD for $10.

Oh, and apparently with the second option everyone craps out their lungs with rage or something.

4. NovaSilisko

NovaSilisko Chieftain

Law 71 of the internet:

If it exists, someone will hate it.

5. mechaerik

mechaerik Tuturuu!

A special box is not the same as an extra civ. In that special box, the game is exactly the same. In this system, someone who purchased the Deluxe edition does not have the same game.

6. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

These expansions have beeen available on disk, from all sellers.

I don't think they've had a release of different versions of the game at inception/pre-order/ day zero or whatever you want to call it before.

This looks like a watershed to me.

7. Chalks

Chalks The blue pieces

And being on disk is an awesome feature... why?

8. Jeckel

Jeckel Great Reverend

Because then you own that disk and the stuff on it and can use it when and how you wish. Without a disk you don't own anything. You use it when they say, how they say, and where they say. Same reason most people buy cars instead of leasing them.

9. Zhahz

Zhahz PC Gamer

I don't buy collector's editions usually because the extra fluff doesn't appeal to me. Deluxe digital is usually about the same. IF I buy Civ5 (still debating due to the whole steamy crap) I'm surely not spending an extra 5-10 for ONE civ.

The bummer to me, and I'm not one to get worked up over which civs are in/out/wherever, is that babylon has always kind of been a staple and tacking it on as DLC is kinda lame.

Overall, I'm very disappointed with Firaxis and Sid. Civ5 has always had loyal and fanatical fans and it seems like the goal this time around is to milk, milk, milk the cash and screw the players. That's not how you reward die hard fans of one of the most beloved franchises ever.

When you're on the 5th iteration of a game that's sold 12m copies you should be giving the people what they want, not taking a steamy dump on them.

10. deanej

deanej Deity

A special edition that has the same game is fine. That's what we had with civ4; didn't matter what edition you got, everyone had the same game. With civ5 this won't be the case.

To be honest, if it weren't for modding, I probably wouldn't care. But this does have serious consequences for modding. I won't continue to cite RFC as an example, given that Rhye is more worried about lack of Spain than the Babylon controversy, but I'm sure there are plenty of mods/scenarios affected.

11. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

Actually, I'd rather buy games on flash drives.

Disks are awesome because the installations don't get interupted and make me tear my hair out:lol:

They also work anywhere I have a laptop with a charged battery. Your mileage may vary.

12. Phil Ken Sebben

Phil Ken Sebben Chieftain

This is a false argument, because you don't OWN the game, at any time. You own the license to play one copy of the game. It's still the property of Firaxis. You are not allowed to sell the game files to others, or modify and sell it, or make it available to other people for free. Unlike a car, with which you can do whatever you damn well please, since you actually own it completely, wheels to roof.

What do you own? The $0.33 DVD disk. The disk holder it came in. That's all, no more, no less. This is 2010. You can download the files to any game at any time. The only thing you pay for is the license, the CD-key.

Your ''leasing'' argument is also false, because you don't lease a game when you buy it online and download it. You get the exact same end product, minus the disc. Buying a game in a shop does not make it any more ''real'' than buying it online. You get the game files either way, whether you get them on a disk or not.

13. arstal

arstal Say No 2 Net Validations

Stardock grants you a license also, but if you buy the disk, you can run the disk, install, and play the game. Patches are another story, but you'll be able to play the game.

Valve, should it decide to do so, can brick your games whenever it feels like.

One scenario: valve charges you $4000 says you owe it due to an error on their part. They charge your credit card. You put a chargeback on valve to keep it from happening. Valve will brick your entire game library. (this has happened on chargeback, unsure about the scenario)

This is why I don't trust persistent activations.

14. NovaSilisko

NovaSilisko Chieftain

Something like this is extremely rare, though. Out of the million(quite literally) people who use steam, I've only heard of around 15 or so cases of spontaneous account deactivation. There might be more, or less. I'm not fully sure.

15. arstal

arstal Say No 2 Net Validations

This isn't spontaneous. This is valve screwing over a customer who decided to do something to keep valve from taking their money unfairly (chargeback).

Now, not all chargebacks are legit- but the fact that you could lose an entire game library, just because you don't want to pay a large bill to Valve that isn't your fault, is chilling.

I'm not saying Valve is going to twirl a mustache and tie a damsel to the tracks, but they would be within their legal rights to screw you over royally, and have done it to others in the past.

16. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

I am mad about this, but mainly due to the implications of modding.

17. bishopDC

bishopDC Chieftain

:worship:

Send this directly to Firaxis/2K - that's food for thought!
    Thx Zhahz for this brilliant statement.

Edit: What enrages me most is this "digital exclusive only" crap. There're still many many people out there, who would like to purchase a physical copy of the game together with a handbook, soundtrack, whatsoever and they surely would buy the collectors ed. too! 2K - where is the economical logic in rejecting those potential buyers??

18. Magma

Magma Prince

Means I will just have to spend my money elsewhere.

19. Set

Set Prince

I think he's mad because they have taken the time and energy to make the babylonian civ but are not releasing it with the normal game. personally I would much rather they had not made it and released the game earlier or the best. JUST INCLUDED IT IN THE NORMAL GAME!

20. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

Just a thought; would people feel differently if they promised that Babylon and the maps would also be included as part of their first expansion?
    So, by not buying the deluxe edition, you missed out on getting these only for the ~year until the first expansion pack.